Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2015 8:44:43 AM EDT
Quick question on stippling polymer framed pistols.

I have an M&P-40c that I use for EDC. I would like to have some stippling done to make it "bite" a little more when I grip the gun. I absolutely love the feel of 1911's that have 20 lpi front-strap checkering and a 20 lpi main spring housing (my Springfield Armory was done this way).

I have seen so many different ways people stipple, and so many different areas. I have seen only back-strap, back-strap and front-strap, full frame stipple etc.

For EDC, what is "most common" or "recommended"? Or is it really come down to user preference?

I want to get more grip than I have, but I don't want the whole thing to be a cheese-grater where it tears up my clothes.

I was almost thinking something along the lines of the new XD "Grip Zone", with just the front-strap and back-strap stippled, and leave the sides as-is.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never stippled any handgun, shot a lot of old soap bar smooth Glocks, and many 1911s with smooth front and back straps.

I've never dropped one yet.  I like a smoother grip because it allows me to adjust my grip easier.  I don't always get a perfect grip on the draw.  I used to have to have sharp 20LPI checkering on my 1911 because I thought I needed more grip.  Shit just got on my nerves the more I used it.  

I hate the fuck out of stippling because for one it's nasty.  Dead skin and dirt, and dried sweat gets in it and it's hard to clean.  Two it looks like shit and I've seen more than one Glock with a cracked frame on account of 'grip work'.

On that XD though, I'd stipple over that GRIP ZONE bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:47:03 PM EDT
[#2]
You can definitely stipple a back-strap and see how you like it since those are cheap and easily replaceable.  After that, I'd just do the front part of the grip and see how that feels against your skin.  Then if you really want to, fill in the space between the back-strap and the front.  Take it one piece at a time.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hate the fuck out of stippling because for one it's nasty.  Dead skin and dirt, and dried sweat gets in it and it's hard to clean.  Two it looks like shit and I've seen more than one Glock with a cracked frame on account of 'grip work'.
View Quote

+1

I'd never buy a gun that had been attacked with a soldering iron.  

I asked why once, and got linked to some story of a guy that got in a shootout with a robber.  I guess he got blood on his hand and had a hard time holding on to to his pistol.  That seems to be the way of forums- someone posts up a one-of-a-kind problem and everyone makes grand elaborate plans for how to counter it- usually at the expense of far more likely threats.  I knew a guy that did it to his glock- saw him in a walmart... carrying a pocket gun.  The glock was too big for him to carry concealed.  Yeah, brilliant.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not a huge fan of stippling...if I really need to add more grippyness I'll probably use skateboard tape, or if that's not good enough I'll smear a thin layer of DEVCON over the grip and dab it with a applicator to "lift" bits which will harden up and provide a textured gripping surface which looks like this.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't permanently modify the gun...try some Talon grips or grip tape
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Grip tape is cheap. I have some on the front and back straps of my Hi Powers. If my hands are sweaty, a positive grip is no problem.

Apply the grip tape first, since you can remove it and move it to other spots. If, after that, you are confidant with the positioning, you can stipple the frame.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Personal preference.

For the way I shoot, this is all I really need:

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Personal preference.

For the way I shoot, this is all I really need:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb227/Gilenusx207/Range%20stuff/IMG_0613_zpsrns38yrz.jpg
View Quote

Looks good!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I've only ever done it to a Gen 4 G17 after filing off the offending finger bumps on the frontstrap.    The rest of the grip had adequate texturing for my purposes.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#10]

This is the minimum I do for extra grip. Under the trigger guard and a place for the thumbs forward grip. You would be surprised how much these two areas really add to leverage. I do not stipple the sides of the hand grip area. This part rides against the body when I carry.

The three pics above is my full grip stipple. I would not do more than what is pictured. The butt of the rear portion of the grip has a disproportionate benefit to leverage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top