Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 6:43:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive been known to carry my .45 redhawk with wood grips in a kramer horsehide holster. It tucks it up pretty tight.

18 grains of 2400 under 250 grain xtps or hardcast swc. Thats my load of choice for my blackhawk and puma 92 trapper too. Deer death
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I've loaded and shot both cartridges a bunch.  I have since paired down to mostly 44Mag.

Assuming you will not reload and if ammo cost is of no concern, and you absolutely need the most power and biggest heaviest bullet, the Super Redhawk in 454 will be your best bet. 45 Colt will then be your plinking "45 Special" load.

If ammo cost and availability is of concern, then go for the 44 Mag.

It all boils down to your individual priorities:

Max Power = SRH in 454
Cheaper more available ammo = SRH in 44Mag

Recoil is another topic.  I don't consider myself recoil adverse, but the Casull was a little much for my liking.  44Mag was a perfect all arounder for me and is enjoyable to shoot.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#3]
After encountering a Moose in Maine last year, I decided I needed a dedicated woods gun, better than my 357. In looking at 45lc or 44mag, I decided on 44 because of ammo availability. I'm set up to reload, but I still follow the maxim that any caliber I own for serious purposes needs to be easily available at a big box store or lgs.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 2:34:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I own both.  But my vote would be .44 mag.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks for the input, but for the sake of the conversation assume that the shooter doesn't reload. I haven't reloaded for years and don't have a plan to take it back up.
View Quote

Then .44 Magnum all the way.  

The commercial High pressure .45 Colt loads are completely outside SAAMI spec, and you really have no clue what you are buying, plus .44 Mag is far more common.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top