BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 20
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:18:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9a91] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By backbencher:

.445" Ultramag, was it?  Not .500" S&W, but can you recall a Dan Wesson letting go the same way?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kristofer_G:
That's how Dan Wesson made ALL of their revolvers back in the day.  Nothing weak about that setup.

Any DWs chambered for a 60,000 PSI, fifty caliber cartridge?

.445" Ultramag, was it?  Not .500" S&W, but can you recall a Dan Wesson letting go the same way?

The .445 Super Mag is not a SAAMI cartridge, so it is difficult to get an idea what the MAP is.

What I can find, shows the upper end of .445SM loads to be 42,000 CUP which is not in the class as the .500 S&W's 60,000 PSI MAP SAAMI rating.

ETA: 42,000 CUP is about 46-47,000 PSI
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#2]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kristofer_G:  S&W introduced two piece barrels with the X-Frame.

The .500s have been made this way since the first one.

That's how Dan Wesson made ALL of their revolvers back in the day.  Nothing weak about that setup.

Any DWs chambered for a 60,000 PSI, fifty caliber cartridge?

Since the frame itself broke where the barrel screws into it, I assume the difference in the barrel construction (1 or 2 piece) in front of that wouldn't make any difference...
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:44:22 AM EDT
[#3]
You mentioned that you use Armscor 1911s as well.  I was wondering what your experience has been.  Forgive me if you've answered this already.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:
The guns that we have replaced are Sig Mosquitos and Walther P-22's. We must have returned at least 12-15 of each model since opening. We retired all the Sig and Walther .22's and replaced them with the Glock .22 conversions. The RSO's love them because the continue to run and don't become Jam-O-Matic's if they don't get cleaned every other day. The Sig's and Walther's suffered catastrophic failures of the slide. The Sig's cracked at the narrow portion of the ejection port and the Walther's cracked about an inch from the muzzle.
View Quote

Which Glock 22 conversion are you running?
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 2:04:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Heavy655:

View All Quotes
The guns that we have replaced are Sig Mosquitos and Walther P-22's. We must have returned at least 12-15 of each model since opening. We retired all the Sig and Walther .22's and replaced them with the Glock .22 conversions. The RSO's love them because the continue to run and don't become Jam-O-Matic's if they don't get cleaned every other day. The Sig's and Walther's suffered catastrophic failures of the slide. The Sig's cracked at the narrow portion of the ejection port and the Walther's cracked about an inch from the muzzle.

We are running the Advantage Arms .22 conversion kits on our Glock 17's and they run flawlessly.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 11:54:51 PM EDT
[#8]

We are running the Advantage Arms .22 conversion kits on our Glock 17's and they run flawlessly.

V/R

Ron
View All Quotes

V/R

Ron
Thank you for the info

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 4:44:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you clean your suppressors?  If so how often? And using what methods?
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 12:19:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:

What ammo?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:

V/R
Ron

What ammo?

The conversion kits will run with any ammo but we only use ammo that has copper plating.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 9:13:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dorsai] [#12]
Destructive testing, but not abusive testing.  Cleaned, maintained, lubricated, fed proper ammo.  As opposed to testing that is deliberately abusive.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 11:33:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

Correct.

...but about the most destructive thing you can do to a gun is shoot it a whole bunch. Especially large round counts in a short period of time where the gun really heats up.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:
Originally Posted By Dorsai:
Destructive testing, but not abusive testing.  Cleaned, maintained, lubricated, fed proper ammo.  As opposed to testing that is deliberately abusive.

Correct.

...but about the most destructive thing you can do to a gun is shoot it a whole bunch. Especially large round counts in a short period of time where the gun really heats up.

He knows.  He knows Ron.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's what happened to our S&W 500 here on the range. It's been used on a daily basis for nine months with weekend use a bit higher. Davidson's (who we purchased it from) won't warranty or repair it because they "have determined that the damage to this weapon was not the result of a defect in the materials or workmanship of the firearm". They actually said... "We do not recommend firing this firearm as it is not in a safe condition to shoot". Not to poke fun at the blind but I'm pretty sure Stevie Wonder see that it's not safe to shoot

We use Magtech ammo in this weapon and never had an issue with the lot as we shot plenty of ammo prior to this in our other S&W 500. We didn't feel the need to quarantine the ammo and the rest of the lot was used without issue. Since this happened, we are now going to put a six-month life span for all of our S&W as a preventative measure to avoid any possible injuries. Speaking of injuries, nobody was injured but the shooter was a bit shaken up just because of the weapon falling apart after the shot went off. He was a good sport about it and ended up shooting the other S&W 500 and we put him on a Desert Eagle .50AE and M134 minigun for free because of the scare.

EDITED: Smith & Wesson sent the letter saying they won't repair it to Davidson's (who we purchased it from).

http://i.imgur.com/XsCWuun.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dBaOKDd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/renO0Gf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/80W4pWn.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OeeiKHS.jpg
View Quote

I can understand them saying they won't repair it (that thing is totaled), but I'm curious how they came to the conclusion that the failure was not the result of a defect. Did you send it in, or just send them photos?
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 11:08:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Great stuff.

I am more and more curious how a SIG SP2022 would hold up.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I am curious if and for what are you using a sonic cleaner? I know that you cannot use a sonic cleaner on anything aluminum as you will see cracks quickly. I am not a scientist, but curious if sonic cleaning, on a regular basis, would have any long term effects on the steel as well.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By palirwin:
I am curious if and for what are you using a sonic cleaner? I know that you cannot use a sonic cleaner on anything aluminum as you will see cracks quickly. I am not a scientist, but curious if sonic cleaning, on a regular basis, would have any long term effects on the steel as well.
View Quote

We heard the same thing about not using a sonic cleaner with aluminum parts. We consulted with somebody who has more knowledge about this and we were told that we just need to monitor the pH scale of the solution. We were also told that the parts that we are cleaning and the cleaner (Simple Green) we are using are something that will never affect what we are doing. We've been doing this for over two years and we have yet to have an issue of parts failing or cracking. As for the sonic cleaner, it's a commercial unit that we ordered from a firearms distributor. I will get the name when I get to the shop this afternoon.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#19]
ost
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I want to give a brief update on some pistols that have been taken off the line.

We've had four more Glocks go down within the last five weeks and they all experienced the same crack on the right rear portion of the slide. One slide cracked yesterday and just by chance, a new recoil spring was installed Tuesday.

Somebody asked about the S&W 500 catastrophic failure. To answer your question, we did send the complete firearm back to the factory.

The Armscor 1911's are just as reliable as any of the other 1911's we use. We have (I apologize for not knowing the models) the Springfield 1911's with fancy wood grips and sights but they run just the same as the Armscor models. The Sig 1911 has yet to suffer any type of failure.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#21]
I want to give a brief update on some pistols that have been taken off the line.

We've had four more Glocks go down within the last five weeks and they all experienced the same crack on the right rear portion of the slide. One slide cracked yesterday and just by chance, a new recoil spring was installed Tuesday.

Somebody asked about the S&W 500 catastrophic failure. To answer your question, we did send the complete firearm back to the factory.

The Armscor 1911's are just as reliable as any of the other 1911's we use. We have (I apologize for not knowing the models) the Springfield 1911's with fancy wood grips and sights but they run just the same as the Armscor models. The Sig 1911 has yet to suffer any type of failure.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

What generation?
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Adam-Wayne:

What generation?
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

What generation?

These were both Gen 3 and Gen 4 models.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#23]

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

What generation?

V/R
Ron

Have you noticed any more issues/slide cracks with Gen 4s vs. Gen 3s, or are they pretty much equal?
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#24]
D

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

What generation?

V/R
Ron

How many rounds total do you estimate on the pistols before this happens? What is the cleaning interval (rounds between cleanings) you all use of the Glocks?
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

There's a leaf spring that it presses against, so technically it does.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
Originally Posted By samuse:

I was helping in the armory Saturday afternoon and saw a pile of pistols that were taken off the line. The last of the .22 Mosquito's was down and they were going through 3-4 other broken Mosquito's to pull parts to get one running.

One of the pistols was a 1911. It was a Springfield Armory and my armorer said the trigger spring snapped. We have a few in our bench stock and the pistol was up and running soon afterwards.

V/R
Ron

1911s don't have trigger springs.  Sear spring maybe?  

There's a leaf spring that it presses against, so technically it does.

Yes, technically it's a tigger, sear, and grip safety spring.

I have many, many thousands of rounds through 1911s with CMC Power Mags. The only part I've ever broken is a hammer strut. I've broken two.

My M9s have seen similar use. I've yet to have a part failure.

With enough use, anything will break. I say the decocker on an M9 break once. I've also seen a bushing break on a 1911. This sucks because the recoil assembly winds up down range.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Have you noticed any more issues/slide cracks with Gen 4s vs. Gen 3s, or are they pretty much equal?
View Quote

I'm also curious to see what generation has a better longevity.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#27]
This has been an excellent read thanks op.

Haven't been to battlefield yet and I'm a local . Will defiantly stop by soon.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 1:23:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By N4sty_N4te:

View All Quotes

I'd be willing to bet a little $ that the Gen4s will if they change the recoil springs on schedule (which I'd imagine they do).   But, it'll only matter for folks like Henderson as us mortals will never hit that round count in the time period they do.   Good data point nonetheless though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 3:14:29 AM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

I asked the armorers today and they said that the Gen 4's have been the most reliable with fewer cracked slides.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 4:26:42 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Hi Ron, very interesting thread!

Where exactly are the Glock slides cracking?  Can you post pics?  One of the more common areas I hear of high round count Glock slides cracking is right below the ejection port, but that doesn't sound like what you're describing.

What's your maintenance interval for replacing the recoil springs on the Glocks?  Are these all 9mm?  And I'm also curious of total round count at time of failure.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#31]

I asked the armorers today and they said that the Gen 4's have been the most reliable with fewer cracked slides.

V/R

Ron

View All Quotes

V/R

Ron

Apologizes if you have posted elsewhere, but are the round counts for the Gen 3 and Gen 4 guns close to each other?

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 4:35:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Curse_The_Sky] [#32]
Any idea on the rough round count of various platforms before they tend to go down?

Something like:

Beretta 92 - 10k rounds

Glock 17 - 20k rounds

1911 45 - 7.5k rounds

Sig P226 - 15k rounds

etc.

Also, what are your most common 1911 failures / broken parts? I'm guessing extractors, but I'd love to know what to stock up on.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 5:18:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Ron,
Did you also provide the .500 KB customer some new underwear?

Thank you for taking the time to provide all this wonderful information to us!
Just a nudge... I'm patiently awaiting your optics thread.  Any ETA on that?

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 8:56:25 AM EDT
[#34]

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

Sounds consistent with what Glock says about the Gen 4, although they just refer to the RSA.  However, maybe it is the weakening of the RSA over time that causes the cracked slide, therefore the Gen 4 RSA possibly increases the time to failure.  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By AR-Builder-Upper:
Ron,
Did you also provide the .500 KB customer some new underwear?

Thank you for taking the time to provide all this wonderful information to us!
Just a nudge... I'm patiently awaiting your optics thread.  Any ETA on that?

View Quote

I will start going through the optics today and have a sit down with the armorers if it's the usual chaos that goes along with the Saturday crowd.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Curse_The_Sky:
Any idea on the rough round count of various platforms before they tend to go down?

Something like:

Beretta 92 - 10k rounds
Glock 17 - 20k rounds
1911 45 - 7.5k rounds
Sig P226 - 15k rounds

etc.

Also, what are your most common 1911 failures / broken parts? I'm guessing extractors, but I'd love to know what to stock up on.  
View Quote

You can take call those numbers and at the very least times them by 5 or 6 before we start seeing failures. Also, I don't consider the weapon malfunctioning from being filled with carbon a failure. I consider broken trigger springs, recoil springs, slides, barrel locks, etc failures.

The armorers clean the pistols at LEAST once a week if not more. The weapons get lubed every day, twice a day. It's when they are lubing them that armorers will make the determination if the weapon has to be taken off the line for immediate maintenance.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Russell92:

Where exactly are the Glock slides cracking?  Can you post pics?  One of the more common areas I hear of high round count Glock slides cracking is right below the ejection port, but that doesn't sound like what you're describing.

What's your maintenance interval for replacing the recoil springs on the Glocks?  Are these all 9mm?  And I'm also curious of total round count at time of failure.

Thanks
View All Quotes

Thanks

I asked my armorers again and I want to be 100% certain but I THINK that all the cracks in the slide are exactly at this point and only on the Gen 3's. Again, I have to go through all the Glocks when I get a chance.

The other area where they crack is the thin area at the ejection port. This will NOT cause the weapon to stop working. It only causes the bullets to fly high and to the right.

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#38]

I asked my armorers again and I want to be 100% certain but I THINK that all the cracks in the slide are exactly at this point and only on the Gen 3's. Again, I have to go through all the Glocks when I get a chance.

The other area where they crack is the thin area at the ejection port. This will NOT cause the weapon to stop working. It only causes the bullets to fly high and to the right.

http://i.imgur.com/EVIvVkv.jpg
View All Quotes

Thanks

Interesting, thanks.  I wouldn't have expected the slide to crack there.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

Thanks

That location appears to be where the rear frame rail sits when gun is in battery.  When fired and returning to battery under force that single location (on both rides of the slide) will bear the full force of the rear mass of the slide's UPWARD movement since the fulcrum/pivot point would be the front frame rails?
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#40]
I finally started a thread on the durability of high-round count optics.

100,000+ round count optics durablity
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#41]
I finally started a thread on the durability of high-round count optics.

100,000+ round count optics durablity
View Quote

woooohoooooo!!!!  You are a gentleman and a scholar!!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:13:44 AM EDT
[#42]
I heard there was an AK thread also?  If you wouldn't mind can you confirm and possibly throw me a link?
Thanks again for all your hard work in these threads.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:49:50 AM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By bmyk:

I heard there was an AK thread also?  If you wouldn't mind can you confirm and possibly throw me a link?

Thanks again for all your hard work in these threads.
View Quote
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/159106_AK_abuse__home_built_version_update_on_Page_6_.html&page=1

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 12:29:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#44]
Ron,

I work on the Dillon M134/Mk44 Mod 3s down range.  Any issues with your gun?  What firing sequence are you teaching on the trigger? 2-5 sec burst (100-250 rd) so not to damage the clutch?  Any parts breakage issue, feeder delinker issues?  Typical range day for us is 6,000-12,000 rds per day/gun.  Failures are generally operator induced.  What cyclic rate is yours set for?

On the M249 SAW, I did with only limited amount of full auto using PMags in the magazine slot worked 100%.

At dusk in the desert

CD
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#45]
So now that the S&W .500 is toast, what are you going to do with it?

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 6:17:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
Ron,

On the M249 SAW, I did with only limited amount of full auto using PMags in the magazine slot worked 100%.

CD
View Quote

hmmm, never used them. Actually never saw them back in the early 2000s. I wish I could have tried them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Great post OP.

Have you seen any high round count CZs, and if so, how well did they do?
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Any comments of the durability of aluminum alloy frames vs. steel? Does the aluminum hold up?
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Curse_The_Sky:
Any comments of the durability of aluminum alloy frames vs. steel? Does the aluminum hold up?
View Quote

I saw more 1911s in that box than sigs or Berettas
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 11:17:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HendersonDefense] [#50]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
Ron,

I work on the Dillon M134/Mk44 Mod 3s down range.  Any issues with your gun?  What firing sequence are you teaching on the trigger? 2-5 sec burst (100-250 rd) so not to damage the clutch?  Any parts breakage issue, feeder delinker issues?  Typical range day for us is 6,000-12,000 rds per day/gun.  Failures are generally operator induced.  What cyclic rate is yours set for?

At dusk in the desert

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/zeus_rz.jpg

CD
View Quote

We have four M134's in our inventory. Two are original GE's and two are Garwood G's models.

The Garwood's have the latest updated feeder delinker that the 160th SOAR (was able to review their findings and recommendations) found to be better than all others tested. They also have the clutches that reduce the chance of stoppage from the operator. Garwood still has sixteen years left on his patented design but the last time we spoke he didn't have any available. He visited Battlefield Vegas several months ago and demonstrated the difference between his design and the hand-off as compared to the others.

Our GE's are the old-shool units that still utilize the bolts with the tails, no clutch and still outfitted with spade grips. One of our GE's is modified to use German DAG blue ammo. It took us a LONG time to figure it out after several other individuals told us that it wouldn't work. It took time and patience to mod all the areas in order to get the blue ammo to function properly.

We normally do 1.2 second burst because we sell it in belts of 100 rounds. We've gone as long as 1,200 round bursts for customers that want to go all out. I am SO exhausted right now that I can't do the math but those numbers will give you an approximate cyclic rate. Our GE gets run everyday of the year.. sometimes just a few hundred rounds and some days several thousand but those are usually Friday's and Saturday's.

V/R
Ron
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top