User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 20
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:
HK, because you suck and we hate you.

I have a couple HK pistols and feel the same way.
View Quote

Urban myth.

For those wondering about that USP round count thread:

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-talk/160710-chat-hk-armorer-must-read.html
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:34:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#2]
No kidding on the Colt.  Do you know how to check it for timing?  Because they're kind of different from the others.  What model?   That's cool that people want to shoot a Colt .38 though.  Sweeeeet.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#3]
awesome thread!

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 4:29:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I didn't see in the thread so far, but I might have missed it: What's your stance on 1911s? How have they fared so far? Curious as to the SIG brand ones too!
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd be interested in knowing what the Rhino went back for. I bought one a few months back out of curiosity, only have a few hundred rounds of .38 through it so far. Cool gun, but doesn't feel as solid as a Smith or Ruger. The DA sucks on it too.

Thanks for the info so far, looking forward to hearing what the failure modes on 1911s are.

Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:

I'll have to get all the info from the armorers this week but I know we've had a recent kaboom on a S&W .500 that had just come back from the factory for a repair work. We've sent a Judge and Rhino back for repair work as well. Our old trusty Colt .38 continues to run but it doesn't see anywhere near the high-round counts of the S&W 500. That guns scares me because after seeing the kaboom, we've scheduled in our books to replace the barrel every six months, regardless of round count.

V/R
Ron
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tacomabob:
Revolvers ?  Round count, caliber, brand, how well do they hold up to big round count. Or do people just not rent revolvers?

I'll have to get all the info from the armorers this week but I know we've had a recent kaboom on a S&W .500 that had just come back from the factory for a repair work. We've sent a Judge and Rhino back for repair work as well. Our old trusty Colt .38 continues to run but it doesn't see anywhere near the high-round counts of the S&W 500. That guns scares me because after seeing the kaboom, we've scheduled in our books to replace the barrel every six months, regardless of round count.

V/R
Ron

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By sgtjefe:  I'd be interested in knowing what the Rhino went back for. I bought one a few months back out of curiosity, only have a few hundred rounds of .38 through it so far. Cool gun, but doesn't feel as solid as a Smith or Ruger. The DA sucks on it too.
View Quote

Have heard one of the failure modes is locking the internal hammer @ full cock w/ live ammo in the locked cylinder w/ the external hammer disconnected from the internal one.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:22:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

How do you kaboom a S&W .500"?  And how can you tell you've had a kaboom?  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:  I'll have to get all the info from the armorers this week but I know we've had a recent kaboom on a S&W .500 that had just come back from the factory for a repair work. We've sent a Judge and Rhino back for repair work as well. Our old trusty Colt .38 continues to run but it doesn't see anywhere near the high-round counts of the S&W 500. That guns scares me because after seeing the kaboom, we've scheduled in our books to replace the barrel every six months, regardless of round count.

V/R
Ron

How do you kaboom a S&W .500"?  And how can you tell you've had a kaboom?  

The blood and screaming is a telltale sign.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome thread

Do you rent G34's and any issues with those?

It would be even better if people read all the responses before posting a question that has been asked and answered already.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:35:04 PM EDT
[#9]

As for the firearms themselves, not the parts. My response is kind of mixed with two reasons.. hard to get parts and the LEO thing.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Adam-Wayne:
Originally Posted By rb889:

<snip>

OP, do you have any HK handguns for rental? How're they holding up?

I really hate being like this but I don't put them on the range. You can call it pride or ego issue but I hate having to purchase something from a company that I feel looks down upon regular (non-LEO) sales. The company's attitude, in MY opinion, almost feels that the American shooter is a pain in the ass and "reluctantly" sells them to us. That's MY opinion after years and years of being a buyer (bought my first HK91 in 1987).

When I was running our retail gun store we could never get spare parts and all the LEO that would stop by said the same thing. Granted, we have approximately 20+ MP5's at the range but a majority of those are US-made copies and they continue to run nearly three years later.

We do have some of the Paki and Turkish MP5 semi-auto pistol clones and they also run fine.

I will eventually have to purchase some but like I said, it's just my ego/pride that feels if you're too good for the US market.. then you must to be good for our store

V/R
Ron

Parts in red kind of contradict. If LEO can't get shit either, how are they looking down upon non-LEO only?

As for the firearms themselves, not the parts. My response is kind of mixed with two reasons.. hard to get parts and the LEO thing.

V/R
Ron

Can't say I blame you for abiding by your own sense of right and wrong. The import-export laws in Germany are even more asinine than here in the US for firearm components, and after they got burned by the US Gov't last time, they seem to have just about given up on civilian customers in the US. What bugs me is that they claim the German government can regulate their business endeavors in the USA; including US-run, employed and operated manufacturing plants. Complete bollocks, since their laws do not apply outside of their borders, but it's HK's horse and they can race it however they want.

Also... What about the M&P's?! Inquiring minds need to know.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 4:19:28 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

We don't use the M&P's enough to give any valid information. They are used as "try'em before you buy'em" guns for our sister store that's a dedicated retail gun store. They get shot several times a week at most and not abused in any way. There isn't a demand for them because they aren't in video games, not in enough movies and not in service by any armed forces.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#11]
How about Keltec KSG shotty?  It's in quite a few recent movies and video games.  There's also the thing going about Keltec's reliability.  So, if you have any how is it holding up?  I own one, and questionable about it's reliability, but I was always skeptical about that youtube video on the US_CSOG praising it for it's design and durability....
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By v6pwr:
How about Keltec KSG shotty?  It's in quite a few recent movies and video games.  There's also the thing going about Keltec's reliability.  So, if you have any how is it holding up?  I own one, and questionable about it's reliability, but I was always skeptical about that youtube video on the US_CSOG praising it for it's design and durability....
View Quote

We've already sent one back and working on the second. It's not in any of the packages for a reason.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 1:50:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I appreciate your feedback.  Can you say what happened to those two KSGs?
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:51:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By bmyk:
I looked into having S&W PC re-barrel my 460 XVR from 8.3" to 5" and the total cost parts and labor is about $450.  The barrel alone is $350...  I would not want to do that every six months.  I would appreciate details on the kaboom.  Was it a squib followed by another shot?
Are the big revolvers to cater to the magnum junkies?  I can see people paying a premium to shoot the most powerful handgun in the world or something that was in a movie.  
I cannot fault them, shooting a 600 Nitro Express is on my gun bucket list.

View Quote

I'll try and pics posted in the next day or two. It wasn't bad ammo because we haven't had any issues with that loy before or since.

People want to be Americans so bad that they ask for the biggest, baddest guns we have and abuse their hands and wrists for that experience.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:34:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kyoami] [#15]
Links to all four of these threads:
AK FN Pistols AR15s
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:00:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By RyJones:
Links to all four of these threads:
AK FN Pistols AR15s
View Quote

and Barrett
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Any updates on 1911s?

Thanks for the great thread!
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 11:51:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I will sign back on later tonight to try and answer some questions but here's a Glock 17 Gen 4 that was just brought into my office. We haven't had a Glock slide brake like this before.

http://i.imgur.com/XIgppci.jpg
View Quote

that hole is bigger on the gen4.  nother reason the gen 3 is better
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 5:55:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4_Commando] [#19]
Originally Posted By JSmithXYY:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JSmithXYY:
I will sign back on later tonight to try and answer some questions but here's a Glock 17 Gen 4 that was just brought into my office. We haven't had a Glock slide brake like this before.

http://i.imgur.com/XIgppci.jpg

What was the reason this slide broke and round count?

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:22:28 AM EDT
[#20]

We don't use the M&P's enough to give any valid information. They are used as "try'em before you buy'em" guns for our sister store that's a dedicated retail gun store. They get shot several times a week at most and not abused in any way. There isn't a demand for them because they aren't in video games, not in enough movies and not in service by any armed forces.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

Miculeks...just sayin

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#21]

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

I didn't think S&W spends much on marketing like Glock does either. It is crazy how much video gaming and the gun community sometimes influence each other, this is a good example.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:14:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Jus_Ad_Bellum:
Any updates on 1911s?

View Quote

I was helping in the armory Saturday afternoon and saw a pile of pistols that were taken off the line. The last of the .22 Mosquito's was down and they were going through 3-4 other broken Mosquito's to pull parts to get one running.

One of the pistols was a 1911. It was a Springfield Armory and my armorer said the trigger spring snapped. We have a few in our bench stock and the pistol was up and running soon afterwards.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:26:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Also, as a request from a long-time member, the .45 Glock that we use everyday continues to run. We use it exclusively with the a suppressor and other than LOTS of carbon build up, it has experienced zero issues. It doesn't get the work out that the 9mm's due but because of the suppressor, I anticipated more issues. They have it scheduled for more frequent cleanings but no issues with the spring, slide or frame.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Any long range reliability report on any of the XD line?  Anything that breaks on them with frequency or mechanical shortcomings?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:54:10 PM EDT
[#25]

I was helping in the armory Saturday afternoon and saw a pile of pistols that were taken off the line. The last of the .22 Mosquito's was down and they were going through 3-4 other broken Mosquito's to pull parts to get one running.

One of the pistols was a 1911. It was a Springfield Armory and my armorer said the trigger spring snapped. We have a few in our bench stock and the pistol was up and running soon afterwards.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes
Any updates on 1911s?

V/R
Ron

1911s don't have trigger springs.  Sear spring maybe?  
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:01:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By samuse:

View All Quotes
Any updates on 1911s?

V/R
Ron

There's a leaf spring that it presses against, so technically it does.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:56:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

View All Quotes
Any updates on 1911s?

V/R
Ron

Which is the sear spring right?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 2:29:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Which Glock 22 conversion kits are you using. And what is your flavor of 22lr ammo?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:06:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

View All Quotes
Any updates on 1911s?

V/R
Ron

One of the other "legs" of that spring is the sear spring.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:32:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HendersonDefense] [#30]
Here's what happened to our S&W 500 here on the range. It's been used on a daily basis for nine months with weekend use a bit higher. Davidson's (who we purchased it from) won't warranty or repair it because they "have determined that the damage to this weapon was not the result of a defect in the materials or workmanship of the firearm". They actually said... "We do not recommend firing this firearm as it is not in a safe condition to shoot". Not to poke fun at the blind but I'm pretty sure Stevie Wonder see that it's not safe to shoot

We use Magtech ammo in this weapon and never had an issue with the lot as we shot plenty of ammo prior to this in our other S&W 500. We didn't feel the need to quarantine the ammo and the rest of the lot was used without issue. Since this happened, we are now going to put a six-month life span for all of our S&W as a preventative measure to avoid any possible injuries. Speaking of injuries, nobody was injured but the shooter was a bit shaken up just because of the weapon falling apart after the shot went off. He was a good sport about it and ended up shooting the other S&W 500 and we put him on a Desert Eagle .50AE and M134 minigun for free because of the scare.

EDITED: Smith & Wesson sent the letter saying they won't repair it to Davidson's (who we purchased it from).

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#31]
was everyone OK? that's... dramatic.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Holy shit nuggets
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:01:41 PM EDT
[#33]

EDITED: Smith & Wesson sent the letter saying they won't repair it to Davidson's (who we purchased it from).

View Quote

That's all I ever need to know about S&W.

A failure of no longer functioning correctly, I could forgive due to the heavy usage.  But if the failure mode of high round count use is this - yea, I'm done.  Coupled with failure to repair?  Wow.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:48:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dookie1481] [#34]
I used to work for one of Ron's competitors nearby and my observations largely mirror his. Though I was a retail guy, I often had to send the broken guns back for repair/replacement.  Also, I'm a nerd so I love to observe and quantify things like this.

The one thing I saw differently is that we broke the fuck out of some Berettas.  Almost all of them ended up with cracked slides in the thinnest region.  I like Berettas (can't WAIT to get an M9A3) so this isn't a fanboy rant, just stating my observations.

We broke a lot of Glocks too, but the round counts on those things were just obscene.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:46:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Here's what happened to our S&W 500 here on the range. It's been used on a daily basis for nine months with weekend use a bit higher. Davidson's (who we purchased it from) won't warranty or repair it because they "have determined that the damage to this weapon was not the result of a defect in the materials or workmanship of the firearm". They actually said... "We do not recommend firing this firearm as it is not in a safe condition to shoot". Not to poke fun at the blind but I'm pretty sure Stevie Wonder see that it's not safe to shoot

We use Magtech ammo in this weapon and never had an issue with the lot as we shot plenty of ammo prior to this in our other S&W 500. We didn't feel the need to quarantine the ammo and the rest of the lot was used without issue. Since this happened, we are now going to put a six-month life span for all of our S&W as a preventative measure to avoid any possible injuries. Speaking of injuries, nobody was injured but the shooter was a bit shaken up just because of the weapon falling apart after the shot went off. He was a good sport about it and ended up shooting the other S&W 500 and we put him on a Desert Eagle .50AE and M134 minigun for free because of the scare.

http://i.imgur.com/XsCWuun.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dBaOKDd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/renO0Gf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/80W4pWn.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OeeiKHS.jpg
View Quote

I don't understand how the cylinder is intact but the barrel is not. Barrel obstruction?

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

A failure of no longer functioning correctly, I could forgive due to the heavy usage.  But if the failure mode of high round count use is this - yea, I'm done.  Coupled with failure to repair?  Wow.

View All Quotes

S&W, the company I least expected them to do this shit.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#37]
incredible pics, thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By dookie1481:
I used to work for one of Ron's competitors nearby and my observations largely mirror his. Though I was a retail guy, I often had to send the broken guns back for repair/replacement.  Also, I'm a nerd so I love to observe and quantify things like this.

The one thing I saw differently is that we broke the fuck out of some Berettas.  Almost all of them ended up with cracked slides in the thinnest region.  I like Berettas (can't WAIT to get an M9A3) so this isn't a fanboy rant, just stating my observations.

We broke a lot of Glocks too, but the round counts on those things were just obscene.
View Quote

We had a lot of old M9's in my last unit. It wasn't uncommon to see the slide cracked at the locking block/breech face. The one I had, you could grab the slide with both hands and flex it enough to see clean through it

I couldn't bring myself to turn it in until I was required to upon return to the States as my Platoon SGT had given it to me not too long before he was killed.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:21:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:  Here's what happened to our S&W 500 here on the range. It's been used on a daily basis for nine months with weekend use a bit higher. Davidson's (who we purchased it from) won't warranty or repair it because they "have determined that the damage to this weapon was not the result of a defect in the materials or workmanship of the firearm". They actually said... "We do not recommend firing this firearm as it is not in a safe condition to shoot". Not to poke fun at the blind but I'm pretty sure Stevie Wonder see that it's not safe to shoot

View Quote

Squib?  Or it just fell apart?  If it just fell apart that's the death-knell for the .500"  I presume you also run the .460"?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#40]
So can you give us a idea of the round count on the 500? Definitely weird. Wonder if the forcing cone cracked and then split the barrel.

Don't want my 4" going up in smoke
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Ron, you mentioned in your very first post that the Glocks are the most hassle-free of the pistols that you have on the line and you use all 4 generations.  Have you noticed any difference in reliability/durability between the generations, particularly Gen3s and Gen4s?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By N4sty_N4te:
Ron, you mentioned in your very first post that the Glocks are the most hassle-free of the pistols that you have on the line and you use all 4 generations.  Have you noticed any difference in reliability/durability between the generations, particularly Gen3s and Gen4s?
View Quote

I'll ask the armorers to get particulars but I'm pretty sure that not one of the generations is more reliable than the others. By the way, five of them had cracked slides yestereday. We still had six of them on the line but when we have large groups come in, I like to issue each RSO his own Glock. Kind of frustrating that so many were down.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#43]
So can you give us a idea of the round count on the 500? Definitely weird. Wonder if the forcing cone cracked and then split the barrel.

View Quote

I will try and get that info this week. I can check how many times it's been rented and get a fairly accurate number.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:24:12 PM EDT
[#44]

I will try and get that info this week. I can check how many times it's been rented and get a fairly accurate number.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

Thank you sir I really appreciate it
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:21:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JBhunter] [#45]
WOW on that S&W.
Of all of the revolvers they make I would have thought the last place to use the 2 piece barrel/sleeve system would be on the X frames.
Does anyone know if all of them are made in a similar way?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By JBhunter:  WOW on that S&W.
Of all of the revolvers they make I would have thought the last place to use the 2 piece barrel/sleeve system would be on the X frames.
View Quote

That's how Dan Wesson made ALL of their revolvers back in the day.  Nothing weak about that setup.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:16:40 AM EDT
[#47]
It looks like it was unscrewed from the frame and then the split became more prominent.  
Wow.  

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#48]

I'll ask the armorers to get particulars but I'm pretty sure that not one of the generations is more reliable than the others. By the way, five of them had cracked slides yestereday. We still had six of them on the line but when we have large groups come in, I like to issue each RSO his own Glock. Kind of frustrating that so many were down.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By N4sty_N4te:

V/R
Ron

A couple questions about the five Glock 17s with cracked slides you had in one day.

1. Were all of these above the 100,000 round mark, or were some of them newer?

2. What generations were represented in the five?

3. What is your cleaning schedule or interval for Glock 17s in general?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:42:04 PM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes

S&W introduced two piece barrels with the X-Frame.

The .500s have been made this way since the first one.

That's how Dan Wesson made ALL of their revolvers back in the day.  Nothing weak about that setup.

Any DWs chambered for a 60,000 PSI, fifty caliber cartridge?

Cracked forcing cone is my guess, as well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:48:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Kristofer_G:  S&W introduced two piece barrels with the X-Frame.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kristofer_G:  S&W introduced two piece barrels with the X-Frame.

.445" Ultramag, was it?  Not .500" S&W, but can you recall a Dan Wesson letting go the same way?
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top