Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Maynard:
Stay on topic please.

Let's not muck this thread up.
View Quote

Whatever "Dennis Hopper"

Seriously, I believe my point is indeed "On Topic"

Glocks work. However.........

Off to get my Sig P320 FDE Compact out of Layaway. So there.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 12:59:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 10:08:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Ron, do you have any FN Five-Seven pistols on the line? Would like to hear your experience with them if you do.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for updating this
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:11:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By rb889:
Ron, do you have any FN Five-Seven pistols on the line? Would like to hear your experience with them if you do.
View Quote

We have had FN Five-Seven pistols on the line since almost opening date and to my knowledge, not one has been taken off the line due to parts failure.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, that's pretty amazing.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:

We have had FN Five-Seven pistols on the line since almost opening date and to my knowledge, not one has been taken off the line due to parts failure.

V/R
Ron
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

I am a big Five seveN fan. I have 3, two older USGs and a MKII. I have shot thousands of rounds through them and have never had a single malfunction. The guns simply don't get dirty. You can shoot 500 rounds through a Five seveN and it is still as clean as when you cleaned it. Really amazing guns and my daily carry. Any idea how many rounds through them? Do they see much action? How often do you change the recoil springs? Thanks Ron.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Just today discovered this thread, what a great collection of information!
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 10:41:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By HarrishMasher:

I am a big Five seveN fan. I have 3, two older USGs and a MKII. I have shot thousands of rounds through them and have never had a single malfunction. The guns simply don't get dirty. You can shoot 500 rounds through a Five seveN and it is still as clean as when you cleaned it. Really amazing guns and my daily carry. Any idea how many rounds through them? Do they see much action? How often do you change the recoil springs? Thanks Ron.
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

To bad the terminal performance sucks
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Have you had any issues with brass hitting people in the face with the Glocks?  In my pre purchase research on the G19 I've see people mention this a few places online as if it's an epidemic, just curious as to your experience at the range.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 3:50:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HarrishMasher] [#12]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

Should really stay on topic and not throw stuff like this out there. That said, I thought the same. Then I actually did the research. The most obvious is Ft Hood. Do a little research and read the results.

There there are plenty of other instances of animal and human shootings scattered around the web. And tons of gel and barrier tests on youtube. The results show 5.7 from a pistol is at least as effective as any major pistol service caliber, maybe even a little more so. Do the research. And if you start looking at the exotic rounds like T6B or S4M from Elite Ammo, you are going through Level III vests and getting 16" to 18" penetration in gel with a mean wound cavity from a pistol! Check it out on youtube. 2600 fps from a freaking pistol. Let's just leave it at that and not detract from this thread anymore. Everyone go and do the actual research and start another thread or something. Just so tired of the detractors who have never even touched a 5.7 or read any actual data. Knowing what I know, it is hard to leave the house carrying something other than my Five seveN loaded up with 21 rounds of EA T6B.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 12:04:34 AM EDT
[#13]
How are the Sig 320s holding up?
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#14]
any Beretta px4's
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:42:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Should really stay on topic and not throw stuff like this out there. That said, I thought the same. Then I actually did the research. The most obvious is Ft Hood. Do a little research and read the results.

There there are plenty of other instances of animal and human shootings scattered around the web. And tons of gel and barrier tests on youtube. The results show 5.7 from a pistol is at least as effective as any major pistol service caliber, maybe even a little more so. Do the research. And if you start looking at the exotic rounds like T6B or S4M from Elite Ammo, you are going through Level III vests and getting 16" to 18" penetration in gel with a mean wound cavity from a pistol! Check it out on youtube. 2600 fps from a freaking pistol. Let's just leave it at that and not detract from this thread anymore. Everyone go and do the actual research and start another thread or something. Just so tired of the detractors who have never even touched a 5.7 or read any actual data. Knowing what I know, it is hard to leave the house carrying something other than my Five seveN loaded up with 21 rounds of EA T6B.
View Quote

2200 from a pistol
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:50:04 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Dude in the last 5 min of reading multiple threads, it's pretty clear the only brand you approve of is glock.....move along, people want to learn here.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 11:30:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By pennsylvaniaboy:

Dude in the last 5 min of reading multiple threads, it's pretty clear the only brand you approve of is glock.....move along, people want to learn here.
View Quote

Lol that guy carries a Beretta DA/SA IIRC.

I'm still amazed RIA 1911s are doing so well.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 1:33:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By AS556:

View All Quotes

Those Filipinos seem to know what they're doing.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 6:20:31 AM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

I know right? I haven't shot a Glock in months.

I'm really tempted at a local RIA 1911 in 9mm
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Governor:
2200 from a pistol
View Quote

Actually more than 2200 fps from a Five seveN pistol. How about 2400 from a pistol! Go on youtube and watch all the reviewers who chronograph Elite Ammo T6B and S4M 5.7x28. That's why I carry the Five seveN.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 4:53:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Is it possible, that since the Gen4 Glocks are more ergonomic (at least according to most people) or have the aura of being the "latest/greatest" version, they get more use than the Gen3?

In my anecdotal experience, I have seen much more breakage in Gen 2 and 3 Glocks because its mostly what I have used. My agency just started issuing the Gen 4 model 22 before I retired.

Personally, I believe Glock has made some changes in the past few years, that have affected quality. Maybe a different sours of steel, heat treatment, QC, or something.

This thread is priceless due to the daily "torture testing"!!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:24:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Can you give more specific info about the Desert eagles, I know you said pistons fail, Other than that is it just general recoil spring replacement on schedule?
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 11:30:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Looking forward to seeing how the Sig P320's hold up now that they are adopted! Assuming that BFLV decides to buy some now that they are going to the standard issue.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Slimjim:
Can you give more specific info about the Desert eagles, I know you said pistons fail, Other than that is it just general recoil spring replacement on schedule?
View Quote

The recoil spring is replaced at set intervals but I believe that a spring that keeps the safety in place also fails. I will get more details for you.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By DocGlockster:

You say approx. 9 Glocks.  How many total are on the line?

Would you hazard a guess that the Gen 4's are "weaker" than previous generations or are they just used more (for example, you have more Gen 4's than 3's and that might explain it).
View Quote

Any chance for an update on this?  

If you have equal numbers of Gen3 and Gen4 it would be pretty odd for the Gen4s to be failing more often.  Then again, maybe the Gen4s get used more often because they're the "latest and greatest" and your range officers tend to grab them.  Has Glock given you any feedback on the failure when you sent them in for warranty?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:32:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 762SR25] [#27]
Originally Posted By Adam-Wayne:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Adam-Wayne:

Are the Frames still cast?
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 4:06:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
Is it possible, that since the Gen4 Glocks are more ergonomic (at least according to most people) or have the aura of being the "latest/greatest" version, they get more use than the Gen3?

In my anecdotal experience, I have seen much more breakage in Gen 2 and 3 Glocks because its mostly what I have used. My agency just started issuing the Gen 4 model 22 before I retired.

Personally, I believe Glock has made some changes in the past few years, that have affected quality. Maybe a different sours of steel, heat treatment, QC, or something.

This thread is priceless due to the daily "torture testing"!!!
View Quote

Well, I sort of agree.  The Tennifer (sp?) on the Gen 2's is supposed to be pretty great, but wow, the ergonomics on my Gen 2... I was borderline thinking about selling it, but took the desperate measure of putting skateboard tape on the grip... and now it at least feels like a weapon I could count on in an emergency (this, after buying it in 1993 and questioning why it slid in my palms ever since...).
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Any gun can fail even with low round counts . Yes even the mighty Glock .
The firing pin broke on my Gen4 model 17 at 8312 rounds . The tip broke off flush with the main body leaving the gun useless until I got another firing pin .
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 1:45:37 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

I've done the research.  Elite Ammo has nice marketing.  I'm in the "it's .22 WMR" crowd.

I still will get one someday.  It will never be my primary carry though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 2:07:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By XM21Nick:
Any gun can fail even with low round counts . Yes even the mighty Glock .
The firing pin broke on my Gen4 model 17 at 8312 rounds . The tip broke off flush with the main body leaving the gun useless until I got another firing pin .
View Quote

I will get some more data from the staff but I can tell you from looking at the pile of broken pistols, the Glock Gen 4's are not holding up like before. I don't what it is or what's causing it (we are changing springs all the time in hopes of solving the issue) but we slides are cracking on the left, rear portion of the weapon almost in the exact same spot every single time. Before, it was the Sig P226 with the trigger spring breaking but that was an easy fix. The Glocks have to have the slides sent back to the factory. Even my "Glock guys" have noticed how often and SOON they are failing.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 2:23:55 AM EDT
[#32]

I will get some more data from the staff but I can tell you from looking at the pile of broken pistols, the Glock Gen 4's are not holding up like before. I don't what it is or what's causing it (we are changing springs all the time in hopes of solving the issue) but we slides are cracking on the left, rear portion of the weapon almost in the exact same spot every single time. Before, it was the Sig P226 with the trigger spring breaking but that was an easy fix. The Glocks have to have the slides sent back to the factory. Even my "Glock guys" have noticed how often and SOON they are failing.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Can't be.

I think there are some fellows around here that will offer you their extensive experience to prove you are wrong.  

I'll be really interested to see how well the SIG P320's hold up once they gain a following with the recent announcement of adoption by Uncle.

Thanks for your info, as usual!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:00:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hfrog355] [#33]

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Yeah, this is blaspheme. My neighbor has a brother in law (well, used to be, they're divorced now) who owns a Glock that he shoots hundreds of rounds through every single year and it goes boom every time. It's the perfect handgun. Says so right on the website.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#34]
One thing I can tell you about the slides cracking on the left rear side of Glock is that it doesn't affect the function. It continues to stay on target and continues to cycle without issues. When it cracks at the ejection port, the round shoots up and to the left.

Even though the weapon continues to function with the cracked slide, we take it off the line immediately. It's a liability issue and we can't take any chances with safety.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 3:50:35 PM EDT
[#35]
One thing I can tell you about the slides cracking on the left rear side of Glock is that it doesn't affect the function. It continues to stay on target and continues to cycle without issues. When it cracks at the ejection port, the round shoots up and to the left.

Even though the weapon continues to function with the cracked slide, we take it off the line immediately. It's a liability issue and we can't take any chances with safety.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Doesn't surprise me that the pistols continue to function, even with a cracked slide.

But it does beg the question... Why are they cracking in the first place? What's changed since the Gen 3 that could cause it?
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#36]
A quick Google search turned up this Gen 3 as well as several Gen 3s with the front ring broken off.

Link Posted: 1/26/2017 5:09:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Goodelleric] [#37]

Doesn't surprise me that the pistols continue to function, even with a cracked slide.

But it does beg the question... Why are they cracking in the first place? What's changed since the Gen 3 that could cause it?
View Quote

Could be a variation in the material strength in one lot of material?  I'm guessing these were all bought in a "batch" and not one by one. I know at least where I work when we order parts, we specify a minimum yield strength.  If we ask for 80ksi steel, most of the time it comes in around 85-90ksi.  It's possible that the slides are the same way, except maybe this particular batch was right at 80ksi (or a bit below?) or whatever their spec is.  If the specification says 80ksi minimum, but the average in practice is around 85ksi, then you could get below average guns that are still in spec.  

I seem to recall reading they change their recoil springs monthly, I'm not sure how many rounds that is, but maybe they are exceeding the limits of what glock recommends.  

This could just be a perfect storm of sorts.  The material is at the low end of the specification, the slide is at the thinnest end of the specification for that particular section in this batch, and they don't change their recoil springs as often as the manufacturer suggests.  Any one of these things by itself might be cancelled out by the other two, but in this situation they're all "going wrong" and so we're seeing this sort of failure.  Most people never put even 10,000 rounds through their guns, so that explains why you don't see it more often.  It just so happened that the place that puts a ton of rounds through their guns got the "bad" batch.

Just speculation of course, but tolerance accumulation is an issue in any sort of manufacturing, and tolerances sometimes apply to more than dimensions.  In this case material strength and spring replacement schedule.

As for why plenty of gen2 and gen3 models exceed it, a lot of gen4 models might exceed these counts too, but how many people put 30,000+ rounds through their guns?  Not many.  There just aren't that many examples of any generation with these sorts of round counts through them, at least not compiled as well as they are here.  It's the best we've got, but it's still a pretty small sample size.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 7:09:32 PM EDT
[#38]
In for P320 Status.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:11:35 PM EDT
[#39]
In b4 "glad I went with a gen3."
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By swampvol:
In b4 "glad I went with a gen3."
View Quote

Too late.  

I'm a Gen3 guy through and through.  But, to be fair, we need to know the sample size, round count, maintenance schedule, and production dates of all the guns to even begin to draw a proper conclusion.  People saying "mine has been fine" or "I saw this on Google" aren't adding anything of value.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 6:51:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DocApocalypse] [#41]

V/R
Ron
View Quote

An excellent start would be the three or four letter prefix in the serial numbers.  In the past that's how people have identified "batches" of pistols that have had issues across the entire production line.

It might also help to identify if it's mostly Austrian made or US made Glocks affected (IIRC the US version has the four-digit letter prefix in the serial number.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong).
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 8:45:45 PM EDT
[#42]
I had a high-mileage Gen2 17 that cracked the slide through the ejection port.
I've seen two G34s break the rear slide rhe OP rails off where Henderson is seeing slides break.

Glocks have NEVER been the infallible pistol the internet has made 'em out to be.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Nothing lasts forever.  Shoot a gun enough and eventually it'll be replaced with all new parts.  

Cars don't last forever either.

99% of shooters will never wear out a quality pistol, I've work out recoil springs, and other odds and ends.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:33:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MRW] [#44]
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Got any 10mm's on the rental line?
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 2:08:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Do you have anything to say about Walther durability (in particular, about the PPK, P38, P5, P99)?
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 2:40:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Another-Bill] [#47]
Originally Posted By Freakinout:
Nothing lasts forever.  Shoot a gun enough and eventually it'll be replaced with all new parts.  

Cars don't last forever either.

99% of shooters will never wear out a quality pistol, I've work out recoil springs, and other odds and ends.
View Quote

Agreed.

Reading this thread, I've gathered the top pistols, Glock, Beretta and Sig, are good for maybe 100,000 rounds.
Let's say 9mm is $200 per 1K, that is $20,000.

20 Grand in ammo, at that point, the slide becomes another expendable pistol part.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:09:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By MRW:
Ron, where do you get your spare parts for the glocks and other pistols? the recoil springs and so forth. Do you buy them direct from the manufacturer? 
Thanks again for these threads. I've delayed buying more ammo to buy the proper spare parts
View Quote

We order direct from Sig for those parts but I'm not sure who we order the Glock parts from.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#49]

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Can you show us pictures of the cracks?
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:13:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Another-Bill] [#50]
Originally Posted By kingoftheroad:

Can you show us pictures of the cracks?
View Quote

Pretty sure that he has photos of the cracked Glock slides a few pages back.
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top