Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 20
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:21:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: azmp5] [#1]
I may have missed it (apologize if i did) but how are USP's doing and what fails on them?
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rush4theYehO:

When the youtuber Mr GunsNGear interviewed the armorer, they mentioned Rock Islands being the least problematic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By joenuclear1:
IIRC the Sig 1911's were the least trouble in your initial report. Is that still true?

When the youtuber Mr GunsNGear interviewed the armorer, they mentioned Rock Islands being the least problematic.

No fucking way
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 9:54:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By bigkracka:

No fucking way
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By joenuclear1:
IIRC the Sig 1911's were the least trouble in your initial report. Is that still true?

No fucking way

My guys have told me that the Rock Island 1911's are built tough and the Sig 1911's are right behind them.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:
My guys have told me that the Rock Island 1911's are built tough and the Sig 1911's are right behind them.
V/R
Ron
View Quote

Well, I've been looking for an excuse for a 9mm 1911..might give the Rocks a look.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By RWM:

Well, I've been looking for an excuse for a 9mm 1911..might give the Rocks a look.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RWM:

V/R

Ron

I love my Rock Island Tactical. Very nice to see they'e doing well.

Link Posted: 9/11/2016 2:23:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stickyheat] [#6]
Originally Posted By Rick_A:
Is it fair to say that in this sample size the Gen3 Glocks are out living the G4's by a significant margin?
View Quote

This is an incredible wealth of information for the community. Thank you for sharing all of this Ron.

I would love to hear more about the long term durability of Gen 3 vs. Gen 4 Glocks. I would have never thought the Gen 4's were more prone to failures. Would you be able to share any pictures of the cracks in the frames ?
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 3:54:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By stickyheat:

This is an incredible wealth of information for the community. Thank you for sharing all of this Ron.

I would love to hear more about the long term durability of Gen 3 vs. Gen 4 Glocks. I would have never thought the Gen 4's were more prone to failures. Would you be able to share any pictures of the cracks in the frames ?
View All Quotes
Is it fair to say that in this sample size the Gen3 Glocks are out living the G4's by a significant margin?

I've posted a few of them on this thread..maybe they been taken down by the hosting site? I will try and get some more from the armorers as they all take pics and then text me but we have so many of the different weapons go down that the guys don't really follow up with me anymore unless it's something new or strange that failed.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I didn't read the whole thread, but do you have any s&w sd9ve pistols? Just got one, wondering how they hold up.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#9]

I've posted a few of them on this thread..maybe they been taken down by the hosting site? I will try and get some more from the armorers as they all take pics and then text me but we have so many of the different weapons go down that the guys don't really follow up with me anymore unless it's something new or strange that failed.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

What is the typical difference in round count before failure between the Gen 3 and Gen 4?
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 10:41:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Ron, why do you think the gen4 fail more than the gen3?
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 12:37:53 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

To be honest, it may be due to increased round count. Right now, the recoil springs are getting swapped every thirty days but we may drop that down to every three weeks and see if that helps with the issues. I am pretty sure for the month of July we put 720,000+ rounds down range so when you break it down, the guns are getting more use.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#12]

To be honest, it may be due to increased round count. Right now, the recoil springs are getting swapped every thirty days but we may drop that down to every three weeks and see if that helps with the issues. I am pretty sure for the month of July we put 720,000+ rounds down range so when you break it down, the guns are getting more use.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

I  think the elephant in the room is that authors like Chuck Taylor have written articles where their Glocks have gone to nearly the six-digit mark in round count with only minor parts replacement, and yet the Gen4's seem to fall short of that.

What's your gut tell you?

*  The ammo  you use might be hotter than 20-30 years ago?
*  The guns aren't as well made?
*  The guns are being subjected to hard use that most people won't come near?

Just trying to get a feel for the real reason behind this.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 8:24:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HendersonDefense] [#13]
Originally Posted By DocGlockster:

I  think the elephant in the room is that authors like Chuck Taylor have written articles where their Glocks have gone to nearly the six-digit mark in round count with only minor parts replacement, and yet the Gen4's seem to fall short of that.

What's your gut tell you?

*  The ammo  you use might be hotter than 20-30 years ago?
*  The guns aren't as well made?
*  The guns are being subjected to hard use that most people won't come near?

Just trying to get a feel for the real reason behind this.
View Quote

In my opinion, it's not the ammunition. We've used this ammo with all the various platforms and other pistols with no other signs of premature wear or failure. I honestly can't tell the difference between a Gen 3 and Gen 4 but my staff are telling me that the Gen 4's are going down faster than the other models did previously. Since the all the slides are cracking at almost the exact same spot, I would say in my non-professional opinion, that there has to be some sort of weak link there. In the big scheme of things, the weapon continues to fire (even when the frame cracks at the ejection port) even though it suffers a crack in the slide. These guns get used all day, every day and they get used a lot so it's hard for me to determine what's actually causing the problem. By swapping the springs out at three weeks, we will see if that helps with the reductions of cracks in the slide. I will definitely keep you folks posted.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 8:48:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pops1085] [#14]
Just read through this thread. Fantastic information here!

Just wondering what do you guys use for a lubricant? Is it the same for every platform or does it depend? Also is it non toxic? My family has had a few losses to cancer recently,  so I've been trying to be a little more aware of the chemicals I use daily. Edit: That also makes me think, how much do you guys use on your weapons?? Figured I'd rapid fire some questions, never know how often you get to ask somebody with this kind of experience.

-Pops
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:16:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok, so I'm hearing you say the Gen 4's are going down more frequently than the Gen 3's, but that they are getting much harder use?  So how does that equate to them somehow being more failure prone than Gen 3's? If I heard you correctly, that cannot be deduced from that information.  (I know I may be totally misunderstanding what you are saying. I'm not trying to debate, but instead to clarify my own understanding.)

Even if the round counts were the same or less for the Gen 4, the harder running over a shorter period of time may account for it, maybe due to heat or another related variable.  

Bottom line is this:  If you told me all things were equal, and the Gen 4's broke at 100,000 rounds while Gen 3's broke at 115,000 rounds, I don't think that would bother me in the slightest.  It is still amazing to me that a gun can shoot that many rounds, period.  Before reading this thread, I would have guestimated that the best handguns would go maybe 30,000 rounds before a major failure that would cause it to totally cease to function.

How many rounds would you estimate are being fired in the Gen 4's between spring replacements?
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:31:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By pops1085:
Just read through this thread. Fantastic information here!

Just wondering what do you guys use for a lubricant? Is it the same for every platform or does it depend? Also is it non toxic? My family has had a few losses to cancer recently,  so I've been trying to be a little more aware of the chemicals I use daily. Edit: That also makes me think, how much do you guys use on your weapons?? Figured I'd rapid fire some questions, never know how often you get to ask somebody with this kind of experience.

-Pops
View Quote

Curious about the lubricant also, good question ...and awesome thread/contribution.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I think in another thread he mentions they use Lucas Gun Oil.

In studying the MSDS I think they remarked they liked the low toxicity.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd also like to know how the p320's are holding up
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I was looking at the SDS as well, and I'm not so sure about it. Under the toxicology section there's a bunch of "data not available" which makes me wonder how safe it really is. Unless that means that it is safe and there's no data saying it is unsafe... I don't know, I've got no background in chemistry or reading SDS's for my job.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Lucas Gun Oil vs? There are lots of reasons they may have to do so, such as volume buying price shipped in gallons, low/no odor, less staining of customer clothing (IIRC mentioned as being highly important,) etc.

There is also the issue of which gun oil will be the "best" when nobody can afford that kind of testing. We are talking at minimum firing weapons into the tens of thousands of rounds, tearing them down, measuring wear, and doing that in large batches to remove production variation from messing with the numbers. Like first thru fourth gen Glocks with 1,000 of each and at least 50,000 rounds thru them.

Nobody does that. Nobody. Small sample sizes are the norm - even in the military testing. Decisions have been made to field guns with less than a dozen test samples supplied. Same with cars - the factories test a small fleet in hot, cold, wet, on track, etc. Under 100 - but then later, problems with 50,000 of that specific make crop up after 40,000 miles which none of the testing exposed previously. Case in point, the Ford Mod motors in 5.4 which literally spit spark plugs out the motor. They changed the head design a few years later but it eventually contributed to moving to the Coyote 5.0.

Henderson is a truly abusive long term test - not in each firing, just going to the maximum in service life. I have NO doubt that the makers are keeping their ears to the ground and reading these threads. After all, it's not really "scientific." they aren't paying for it, and there is some plausible deniability if needed. But no, not ignored at all.

Goes to that one Austrian makers guns, if you want to be the low price that crushes the competition, then adding a smidge of material in an LEO gun that won't see 50,000 rounds over a 15 year service life, you don't put it in. Maybe you simply just can't. It would take an engineer and cost accountant to resolve the real decision.

By the way, are any S&W Third Gens on the line? Sonny Crocket .45's, or Breaking Bads type guns. By word of mouth reputation they should stand up. Goes to demand, tho, it's about what people want to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Fantastic thread, makes me want to go hug my  Glock :)

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Super late to find the thread, but very interesting read.

Thanks so much for the information.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#23]
one of the best threads ever!!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Discgolf:
I'd also like to know how the p320's are holding up
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:07:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Do you have any Springfield XDs? If so, what model(s) are they and how are they holding up?
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 1:10:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Yoda_USAF:
Do you have any Springfield XDs? If so, what model(s) are they and how are they holding up?
View Quote

We don't because not enough people know what an XD is.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 11:43:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Outstanding thread Ron. Thanks for the info on all of the threads you have going. Your experiences have verified/validated some of my thoughts, and also caused me to rethink how I've done things (ar15 platforms).

You have commented that your 45acp glock is still trucking along. I'm a g21 guy myself. Could you elaborate on any issues on that platform?  TIA.

Mitch
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 3:18:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By TNRonin:
Outstanding thread Ron. Thanks for the info on all of the threads you have going. Your experiences have verified/validated some of my thoughts, and also caused me to rethink how I've done things (ar15 platforms).

You have commented that your 45acp glock is still trucking along. I'm a g21 guy myself. Could you elaborate on any issues on that platform?  TIA.

Mitch
View Quote

Still no issues with the .45 caliber Glock. It only gets about 1/10 the use of a a 9mm but still, not issues with it.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 7:05:50 AM EDT
[#29]

V/R

Ron
View All Quotes

V/R

Ron
LOL

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 7:38:18 AM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:

LOL  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:

V/R

Ron
LOL  
No track suits or squatting allowed.

Link Posted: 11/1/2016 2:47:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Any update on how your Sig p226 pistols are doing?
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 3:09:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By azmp5:
I may have missed it (apologize if i did) but how are USP's doing and what fails on them?
View Quote

Just to try again
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Brief update:

- The USP pistols continue to function without issues.

- We finally have one Sig P226 that the receiver cracked and won't be warrantied. I am not upset at all because the pistol has been on almost four years and MORE than served it's purpose.

- We have a total of nine Glocks that currently need to go back to the factory for either cracked slides or cracked frames.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Brief update:

- We finally have one Sig P226 that the receiver cracked and won't be warrantied. I am not upset at all because the pistol has been on almost four years and MORE than served it's purpose.

- We have a total of nine Glocks that currently need to go back to the factory for either cracked slides or cracked frames.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Any idea how many rounds went through the Sig?  And what model/generation were the Glocks?
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 1:48:11 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Do you know the approx round counts for when they cracked?  Thanks
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 3:34:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By N4sty_N4te:

Any idea how many rounds went through the Sig?  And what model/generation were the Glocks?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By N4sty_N4te:
Brief update:

V/R
Ron

I couldn't even begin to quote a round count on the Sig. It was my personal gun that I put on the line within a month or two of opening the range. It was an Elite model and lasted almost four years.

As for the Glocks, they are all Gen 4's.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 4:26:22 AM EDT
[#37]
I know they are not mainstream popular yet because they are not showing up in movies and TV like "glock" so they might not get used on the rental range but do you have and SIG P320s on the line yet? or are you going to get them?    If its been addressed I missed it

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

If only you had used grease on the rails.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By ken_mays:

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 4:07:43 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

Doh!
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Ron,

Would you have details on the frame failure(s) on the Sig? Thank you for all you do!

Also, I'm not sure if it's been asked, but have you seen magazine body failures on pistol magazines?
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 10:49:22 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/3/2016 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#44]

V/R
Ron
View Quote

You say approx. 9 Glocks.  How many total are on the line?

Would you hazard a guess that the Gen 4's are "weaker" than previous generations or are they just used more (for example, you have more Gen 4's than 3's and that might explain it).
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#45]

Would you hazard a guess that the Gen 4's are "weaker" than previous generations or are they just used more (for example, you have more Gen 4's than 3's and that might explain it).
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

That was kind of my exact question: if the Gen4s outnumber the Gen3s now, then it's no surprise that the 4s have more problems.  But that's why I'm curious about the generation line-up.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 6:06:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Have you had any revolver issues worth mentioning? Bet a python is popular to rent due to walking dead and shit.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 10:44:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: swampvol] [#47]
"That was kind of my exact question: if the Gen4s outnumber the Gen3s now, then it's no surprise that the 4s have more problems.  But that's why I'm curious about the generation line-up."  

Yeah, but 9 gen 4's out for warranty and no gen 3's? Even if it were a 4 to 1 ratio online,  that wouldn't be good.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 10:09:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By swampvol:
"That was kind of my exact question: if the Gen4s outnumber the Gen3s now, then it's no surprise that the 4s have more problems.  But that's why I'm curious about the generation line-up."  

Yeah, but 9 gen 4's out for warranty and no gen 3's? Even if it were a 4 to 1 ratio online,  that wouldn't be good.
View Quote

Round-count is crucial too.  If the majority of their line-up is Gen4 AND they get used a lot more than Gen3s, that could be indicative of something.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Ron

I'll state as others have, Thank You so much for this informative thread. ( been following from the inception )

What I do find a bit hilarious though, Is the "concern" over a particular Gen of the "Holy Pacifier" known as Glock.

Gents, "IF" your "Perfection" is just that. Why the fuss ?

Ron has showed you devouted ones that Maestro Gaston's creation  will indeed surpass any given one of your examples several lifetimes of service.

Can we now concentrate on some of the other lowly "imperfections" known as "Anything Other Than Glock"
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 11:44:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By USMC_Dad:
Ron

I'll state as others have, Thank You so much for this informative thread. ( been following from the inception )

What I do find a bit hilarious though, Is the "concern" over a particular Gen of the "Holy Pacifier" known as Glock.

Gents, "IF" your "Perfection" is just that. Why the fuss ?

Ron has showed you devouted ones that Maestro Gaston's creation  will indeed surpass any given one of your examples several lifetimes of service.

Can we now concentrate on some of the other lowly "imperfections" known as "Anything Other Than Glock"
View Quote

I need to know if my perfection is more perfect than other people's perfection.
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top