Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2015 3:44:37 PM EDT

My dad gave me his 228, I helped him pick it out brand new roughly 17 years ago.

It's a KH (1998) date code original west German made sig 228

Grip screws have taken a beating over the years swapping over hogue grips, etc....just to go back to the original grips.

I want to get a new set of screws, you can see that Amazon sells them in the original form of the slot screw or they have "Allen head" screws.

Which one would you choose?

Hogue Sig P226/P228 Grip Screws (Per 4) Slot, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010X8P1M/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_GMIyvb0YCECVN

Or

Hogue Sig P226/P228 Grip Screws (Per 4) Hex, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015NDA1C/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_LNIyvb0CB9QP0

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Hex if it's a safe queen, slotted if you're going to carry it.  

If an issue comes up, it's a lot easier to find a screwdriver than it is a hex key.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 5:52:47 PM EDT
[#2]
IMO would go slotted.  Mostly because that is what was OEM.  
Nice 228 by the way!  
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#3]
My experience is the slotted get burred up almost automatically. I prefer the hex myself.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#4]
slotted can be beaten quiet a bit before they're so stripped you can't remove them, allen keys on the other hand can strip rather easily and once they do it can be a PITA to remove them.

ETA: if you get a proper screw driver set you should never have to worry about beating up slotted screws again, same could be said for allen keys but I tend to miss place them alot
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:27:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I replaced mine on my 228 with slotted and used the right screwdriver and never had an issue.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:44:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I replaced mine on my 228 with slotted and used the right screwdriver and never had an issue.
View Quote

This. The right screw driver always helps. That said, I'll take hex over slotted pretty much every time.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This. The right screw driver always helps. That said, I'll take hex over slotted pretty much every time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I rarely need to get into the grip of my pistol so I rarely ever take them off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top