Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2015 9:35:12 PM EDT
Ok guys, I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse but I'd really like to know y'alls opinion: Is the TLR-1HL too bright for use in the house, and, are the extra lumens worth the reduction in battery life?

I know that some will say that it's all a matter of preference... that's exactly what I hope you will share with me. If it matter to you the light will go on a Glock 21sf that is strictly my nightstand gun.

Thanks Guys.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:47:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:06:31 PM EDT
[#2]
The candela rating brings up another question that I forgot to ask. According to the Streamlight website both lights are 12,000 peak candela, the way I understand it that means that I'll be able to see things at distance equally with the 2 lights. But, do you think that the extra lumen, which I assume will show up in the spill lighting, would be too much light to use inside?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the Streamlight HL on my 19 it's bright but not bright enough to blind me in a dark room with white walls
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:14:00 PM EDT
[#4]
As the video showed, high candela usually means a very focused narrow beam, which is not a great idea in a house.  No light is perfect for all situations, but a compromise that is half flood, half spot is usually good.
So I would lean towards higher lumens up to a point, but only if the candelas don't get too high, so you get more of a flood effect.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:25:30 AM EDT
[#5]
For indoors I prefer the TLR1S. The HL is close to being too bright since I got lasik last year.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#6]
You need to try for yourself. My HD lights are 250 lumens or so because more is too hard on my eyes after awakening at 3 am.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Its gonna be preference. Point of the light is to identify and I think any of them will do. I didn't want a big light hanging off the front of mine so I use a tlr3. Its plenty bright for me. Its smaller than a tlr1 which I'm thinking of picking up. Just the regular one for me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Personally I really love me a in force APL. They are quick to put on and take off. I like the paddle style controls. And they feel like enough light without being to much or not enough. Same with the beam/flood of it. While really there is no 1 perfect light that's the one I have come to prefer on my gun.

here
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I would think the brighter the better.

Allows you to shine the light (ie. point the gun) at the ceiling/floor and get enough spill/reflection to light up the room until you identify who may be there.  If it IS a bad guy, once you shine the light it will blind them more effectively.

I will admit that I have not turned on my light after being asleep for a while to see what effect it would have on me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would think the brighter the better.

Allows you to shine the light (ie. point the gun) at the ceiling/floor and get enough spill/reflection to light up the room until you identify who may be there.  If it IS a bad guy, once you shine the light it will blind them more effectively.

I will admit that I have not turned on my light after being asleep for a while to see what effect it would have on me.
View Quote

Just put the light by your bed and flip it on if you get up to pee. I tried that with my APL and could see well enough to identify friend or foe pretty easily where the X300U was too much for my eyes. If it was on a duty weapon I'd be 100% behind the Surefire though. I have white and off white tile with white ceilings so YMMV greatly, light from the floor or ceiling bounces very well in my house.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#11]
So far it looks like the TLR-1s if the favorite but just barely.

Anybody else out there that has experience with both? I know it would be best to try both myself  but I don't know anyone with either and I don't want to be stuck with a light that I wont use.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#12]
The TLR-1 is on sale at Midway USA. $99 for it. Good price it seems like to me. Not trying to hijack, just figured it might be helpful.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I run a TLR1 on my defensive rigs
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:20:19 AM EDT
[#14]
dupe
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:25:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I like to stick with what works and Surefire is the way to go.  I have a Surefire weapon lights on my shotgun, AR-15 carbine, and Glock pistol.  Too bright?  Nope.  Cuts right through the darkness so that I know what I am facing.  It will be more blinding to the person looking at the beam of light than me that is behind all that brightness.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:06:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I went with the APL too.  I like it better.  Never owned a TLR but tried one for a bit.
I believe the tlr series is going to be replaced soon???
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:29:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Going to be up to your personal preference.

I use the HL and I'm fine with it. I've even grabbed it at 3am when I wake up to go to the bathroom and it doesn't wash out my vision. I like the wide beam of the HL also, it lights up the whole room and not just a cone right on front of me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:38:04 AM EDT
[#18]
iv'e got the TLR-1HL as well as the X300 Ultra

I actually prefer the controls on the streamlight but greatly prefer the attachment on the surefire. Lighting wise I have zero preference.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:47:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a 200 lumen Inforce APL and a x300u and GREATLY prefer everything about the Inforce. I prefer the attachment, the output, size, and the paddles are 100 times better than the toggle IMO.

Inside the rooms in my house the x300u seems far to bright and washes out the dog on my Aimpoint quickly (it is on my rifle). The Inforce on my G19 is perfect IMO.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#20]
The X200B is my all time favorite indoor pistol light. The right amount of light and a perfect smooth pattern that lights up the whole room.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:43:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ok guys, I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse but I'd really like to know y'alls opinion: Is the TLR-1HL too bright for use in the house, and, are the extra lumens worth the reduction in battery life?

I know that some will say that it's all a matter of preference... that's exactly what I hope you will share with me. If it matter to you the light will go on a Glock 21sf that is strictly my nightstand gun.

Thanks Guys.
View Quote

yes the hl is too bright for indoor use but great for out doors.   you can always bounce the beam off the floor and illuminate the whole room.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:03:28 PM EDT
[#22]
i'd completely disagree. I have the HL and it's not too bright at all in the house.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:05:28 AM EDT
[#23]
I really like my Surefire X300U; it's not too bright in an average size house.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:00:06 AM EDT
[#24]
I am happy with my TLR-1s for in home use
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:32:33 AM EDT
[#25]
I dislike the x300u so much that I actually sold it on the EE. Still have the inforce apl.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:31:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Funny this thread popped up.  I have an Inforce APL on my M&P bedside gun, but the light took a crap on me just a few hours ago.  I'm fairly certain the batteries died (bought in november of last year), I'll swap them out to see if they're the issue.  

I like the sleekness/size of the APL, but a surefire and streamlight TLR-1 have had much more impressive results so far.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:46:03 AM EDT
[#27]
haha, my bedside gun is actually a 19 with an old x200.

once that new surefire comes out I'll get one of those on it
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:14:35 PM EDT
[#28]
What are the specs on the new surefire you mentioned?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:16:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Funny this thread popped up.  I have an Inforce APL on my M&P bedside gun, but the light took a crap on me just a few hours ago.  I'm fairly certain the batteries died (bought in november of last year), I'll swap them out to see if they're the issue.  

I like the sleekness/size of the APL, but a surefire and streamlight TLR-1 have had much more impressive results so far.
View Quote

You're writing off the light because the batteries may have died?

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#30]
The X300U is perfect for me.  The brightness is perfect, the mount is easy, the controls are user-friendly, and it's the toughest weapon light currently made.  I used to have an Inforce APL.  The first one flew off my M&P45c during a range trip, and its replacement worked fine but the switches couldn't handle cold weather (and I'm in Michigan.  Kind of important).  I'm sure the APL is great for concealed carry, but I carry my 19 with a handheld so I don't really have a use for it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:12:56 PM EDT
[#31]
At the risk of sounding likea total goob, this the longest thread for any question that I'v asked on here.

Just saying thanks again for giving you opinions.

By the way I'm still liking the tlr-1s quite a bit as it is a bedside gun so weight shouldn't be an issue and I think that the extra battery life will be an advantage. I think that I'm out on the tlr-1hl. If the threat gets bad enough that I feel like I need to go outside, I'llgo with my carbine that has a surefire mounted in an elzetta on the front sight post.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:12:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What are the specs on the new surefire you mentioned?
View Quote

couldn't begin to pretend I could tell you, just looks like somebody finally made a light for people who want to carry everything attached. Figure it'd make for a great one gun solution to a carry/house gun.

doesn't appear to add any length to the gun nor any thickness.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top