Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2015 9:29:48 PM EDT
*Have the usual collection of Glocks in five sizes and three calibers all of which I like and shoot and carry when appropriate including a 34 and a 35. NO QUESTION they are the best there is for what each pistol is. Gens 2-3-4.
*Also have S&W M&P9, Shield 9, and a M&P340.

Just for grins and for a different item AND which could take one of the little red dot things on the slide as my vision gets worse and worse, I see the S&W Performance Center ported CORE 5" described as:

The M&P Performance Model from Smith & Wesson was engineered with the competitive shooter in mind. The ported barrel will help the competitive shooter keep the muzzle flip to a minimum, and keep them on target each and every time.
Smith & Wesson has enhanced these models even further by adding an adjustable trigger stop, so the shooter can adjust to their comfort level. Right out of the box, you can mount up to 6 different red dots to the M&P Performance Center pistol, without any custom gunsmithing work.

M&P Performance Center Features
   Ported Barrel & Slide - To Reduce Muzzle Flip
   Adjustable Trigger Stop - To Stop Trigger Over Travel
   3-Interchangeable, Newly-Enhanced, Textured Palmswell Grip Sizes - For Better Control and Fit
   C.O.R.E. – Competition Optics Ready - Includes Optics Mounting Kit Slide Cut to Accept the Following Optics: Trijicon RMR, Leupold Delta Point, Jpoint, Doctor, C-More STS, Insight MRDS
   Enhanced Trigger and Performance Center Sear

M&P Performance Center Specifications

SKU:10098
   Model: M&P®9 PERFORMANCE CENTER® PORTED
   Frame Size: Full Size
   Caliber: 9mm
   Action: Striker Fire (Double Action)
   Capacity: 17+1 Rounds
   Barrel Length: 5” (12.7 cm)
   Front Sight: White Dot Dovetail
   Rear Sight: Fixed 2-Dot
   Overall Length: 8.5” (21.2 cm)
   Grip: Polymer
   Weight: 24.1 oz. (683.2 g)
   Barrel Material: Stainless Steel
   Slide Material: Stainless Steel
   Frame Material: Polymer
   Finish: Black, Durable, Corrosion-Resistant

Simple question: What Glock makes is something like this, but not ported.  Essentially optics ready 34/35.  Does the porting make any real difference since I think Glock discontinued their ported guns. Opinions solicited, comparisons wanted, caliber suggestions 9/40 appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:30:47 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you want to do with it? Competitive shooting? Self defense? Plinking? Just to add to the collection?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:55:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Mostly to put like a Leupold Delta Point on it so that when iron sights or even my several sets of HiViz on Glocks get too hard to see, I can shoot the optic.  I have a Ruger Competition semi auto already set up with a red dot on it.  Vision or focusing wise, black on black sights have disappeared.  Glocks white dot in a white box is still useable.  The HiViz large green sets are easy to use.  But time marches on and vision goes to.....
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:05:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Porting works.  A ported Glock 19C shows a 30% reduction in muzzle rise.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mostly to put like a Leupold Delta Point on it so that when iron sights or even my several sets of HiViz on Glocks get too hard to see, I can shoot the optic.  I have a Ruger Competition semi auto already set up with a red dot on it.  Vision or focusing wise, black on black sights have disappeared.  Glocks white dot in a white box is still useable.  The HiViz large green sets are easy to use.  But time marches on and vision goes to.....
View Quote

Yes, but what will you DO with it? If shooting competitions, the rules will dictate what you can do. If self defense, better to avoid porting due to increased blast/flash.  If just plinking/informal shooting the range, then porting will make the experience more enjoyable (softer recoil) but you may have to run hotter ammo to make the gun cycle 100%.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#5]
If your eyes are getting that bad, you may find the red dot turns into a comet or a squiggle.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes, but what will you DO with it? If shooting competitions, the rules will dictate what you can do. If self defense, better to avoid porting due to increased blast/flash.  If just plinking/informal shooting the range, then porting will make the experience more enjoyable (softer recoil) but you may have to run hotter ammo to make the gun cycle 100%.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of people carry revolvers with a cylinder gap, blast from the cylinder gap won't kill you and neither will comp ports.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Lots of people carry revolvers with a cylinder gap, blast from the cylinder gap won't kill you and neither will comp ports.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I speak from some experience - I own a CORE with Mag-Na-Porting. The upblast is considerably more than with a typical defensive revolvers cylinder gap blast. The flash coming from the ports is quite prominent at night, and concussion is significant. The issue is visual and concussive impact on the shooter.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:33:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you.  Saved me from an inappropriate purchase.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I speak from some experience - I own a CORE with Mag-Na-Porting. The upblast is considerably more than with a typical defensive revolvers cylinder gap blast. The flash coming from the ports is quite prominent at night, and concussion is significant. The issue is visual and concussive impact on the shooter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What caliber?

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What caliber?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What caliber?

9mm. Optimized for 3-Gun competition in Open Division. Shoots beautifully, very soft,  but needs hotter ammo than regular plinking ammo due to gas loss from the ports.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd go with a factory Glock 34 or 35, and then have the slide properly milled for an RMR.  The factory "optic ready" job is far too high.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 4:01:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I have both and I prefer the M&P with my Trijicon RMR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top