Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why is there an attachment on the dustcover.  It LOOKS like it might be there to strengthen the dustcover.  But I have no clue.  I find it strange that the can attaches to the recoil spring guide too.  Wow.  That is something.....

Cool pic.  Did the military issue 147 grain ammo?  I remember reading in an article a LONG time ago in a gun rag, well, like maybe a decade ago.  Anyways...  I remember this gun writer talking about some soldiers in Iraq or Afghanistan with cans on their M9's using a 160 grain pill at subsonic velocities of course.  But I have never heard or seen of that before or after.  I always wondered if there was truth in that.
View Quote

That attachment on the bottom of the dust cove is a slide lock.  When up, locks the slide for no additional noise.  In the down position pistol will cycle.  Can is NOT attached to recoil spring guide.  The suppressor lock is down and just looks like its attached but its not.  We only had M882 standard 124gr FMJ available to us at the time.  I do remember the SEALs having 147 gr JHP back in the late 80s in Scotland for their old S&W 59 Hush Puppies.

CD
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 5:13:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why is there an attachment on the dustcover.  It LOOKS like it might be there to strengthen the dustcover.  But I have no clue.  I find it strange that the can attaches to the recoil spring guide too.  Wow.  That is something.....

Cool pic.  Did the military issue 147 grain ammo?  I remember reading in an article a LONG time ago in a gun rag, well, like maybe a decade ago.  Anyways...  I remember this gun writer talking about some soldiers in Iraq or Afghanistan with cans on their M9's using a 160 grain pill at subsonic velocities of course.  But I have never heard or seen of that before or after.  I always wondered if there was truth in that.
View Quote

That attachment on the bottom of the dust cove is a slide lock.  When up, locks the slide for no additional noise.  In the down position pistol will cycle.  Can is NOT attached to recoil spring guide.  The suppressor lock is down and just looks like its attached but its not.  We only had M882 standard 124gr FMJ available to us at the time.  I do remember the SEALs having 147 gr JHP back in the late 80s in Scotland for their old S&W 59 Hush Puppies.

CD
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#4]
SWEEEET.  What an education we get on this site.  Thank you.

You think that 160 grain claim was BS?  I've never heard of such a thing.  Maybe it was a type or I'm remembering wrong.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Got my 92s today from Classic. Lots of wear and rust on the slide left side. Some rust pitting on the end of the barrel and the barrel is worn. Accuarcy was pretty mediocre but function was perfect.  Good function gun not sure it  was worth $299 plus shipping and transfer.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a 92 that I bought for $350 that only had a mag or two through it.  It was mint.  It is a huge bitch compared to most guns.  I bought it for funzies, but would prefer the slightly thinner 1911, Glock, or CZ for carry, in particular, IWB.  

I sold it for a profit.  I really don't miss it.  A 9mm should not be that big.

FYI, you can stop the slide on a 9mm or .45 with your thumb.  It works.  Pain free too.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 11:13:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I had a 92 that I bought for $350 that only had a mag or two through it.  It was mint.  It is a huge bitch compared to most guns.  I bought it for funzies, but would prefer the slightly thinner 1911, Glock, or CZ for carry, in particular, IWB.  

FYI, you can stop the slide on a 9mm or .45 with your thumb.  It works.  Pain free too.

View Quote
Yep it's HUGE,hopefully Hardshell will post his 92-G17 comparison pictures to show just how HUGE the 92 is.

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:58:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yep it's HUGE,hopefully Hardshell will post his 92-G17 comparison pictures to show just how HUGE the 92 is.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it's things like the slide, the thickness of the original grips, and the long trigger guard that give it that "huge size" illusion. When most say it isn't that ginormous when compared to a lot of guns that are called "small".

The HK MK23, THAT is big
"Crew served handgun"
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:11:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:00:04 PM EDT
[#10]
If you take a flexible tape measure and wrap it around a 1911 with some normal grips and an M9, they're pretty much the same size.  The M9 is wider, but it is shorter front to back.  So....   That doesn't really help for carrying, but for me the double stack grip feels waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more intuitive and comfortable.    I do agree that a 1911 is much easier to carry though.  For sure.  But for me if that front strap isn't blended and knocked down some, it feels like my hand doesn't fit on it properly.  Like my finger bones need to bend where they're not really supposed to bend to get a tight grip.  

I agree it's a big gun.   But for service weapon, I don't see how it is TOO big.  Even carrying it is doable with the right clothes.  And when shooting it, it's pure joy.  IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I really like them. My first issued pistol was a 92F-we were able to buy them from the trade in dealer when we changed weapons.  On a lark, I picked up a 92a1 from the LGS for $350. I swapped the trigger, guide rod, sights, and magazine release for Wilson Combat parts. Then, I sent it to Wilson for the G conversion and a trigger job. I really like the pistol. I was fortunate enough to buy a Safariland 3085-73 holster body on eBay for $15-the complete rig runs $135 from Copquest. I'm looking forward to shooting it more now that I've got a good range holster for it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:02:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I really like them. My first issued pistol was a 92F-we were able to buy them from the trade in dealer when we changed weapons.  On a lark, I picked up a 92a1 from the LGS for $350. I swapped the trigger, guide rod, sights, and magazine release for Wilson Combat parts. Then, I sent it to Wilson for the G conversion and a trigger job. I really like the pistol. I was fortunate enough to buy a Safariland 3085-73 holster body on eBay for $15-the complete rig runs $135 from Copquest. I'm looking forward to shooting it more now that I've got a good range holster for it.
View Quote

sounds like you hit the jackpot then
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a 92A1 and I really like it alot
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top