[#1]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

posted 03-16-2001 03:34 - DocGKR
The simple answer is that whether I am carrying a 9 mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP handgun is not terribly important to me, as adequate performing ammunition is available in all three calibers, and I have used each at one time or another while on duty. Keep in mind that psychological motivation, training, and weapons system reliability are all far more important than what caliber handgun is utilized.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 3:25:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

posted 03-16-2001 03:34 - DocGKR
The simple answer is that whether I am carrying a 9 mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP handgun is not terribly important to me, as adequate performing ammunition is available in all three calibers, and I have used each at one time or another while on duty. Keep in mind that psychological motivation, training, and weapons system reliability are all far more important than what caliber handgun is utilized.

And the date diminishes the information in some way?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#5]
40 = more recoil, slower follow up shots, less rounds, more expensive round, no advantage compared to quality 9mm defense rounds
Like many new gun products that came out 40 is all hype and puts you at a disadvantage when compared to 9mm for the above reasons
While effective 40 and 45 are a ting of the past for me since 9mm can do the same and has more advantages.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:03:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
40 = more recoil, slower follow up shots, less rounds, more expensive round, no advantage compared to quality 9mm defense rounds
Like many new gun products that came out 40 is all hype and puts you at a disadvantage when compared to 9mm for the above reasons
While effective 40 and 45 are a ting of the past for me since 9mm can do the same and has more advantages.
View Quote

Until a pissed off bear starts coming at you.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:10:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Exactly. Take both out hunting and youwill quickly notice a performance difference.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:32:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guess you never heard of shot placement being the most important thing. Followed by faster follow up shots and more rounds.
Anyone who argues the point I made above regardless of the target has no clue
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:18:01 AM EDT
[#9]
On paper that concept may work out fine, but in life there are variables... Like bone and tissue.

If you can't at least acknowledge the .40 has some advantages, you haven't done your homework.  I prefer the 9, but not for the sake of shot placement and mag dumps!  I can hit my targets accurately with any of those calibers and with about equal speed, and so can most shooters so it's really more a choice of firearm.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:19:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Guess you never heard of shot placement being the most important thing. Followed by faster follow up shots and more rounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a genius argument. "Anyone who argues my point has no clue."  If you have a college degree, they're just handing them out these days.

It seems you believe that there is a significant difference in recoil, but no difference in performance. Never had physics in college I see.

Slower follow ups?  Maybe for you. Try practice.  

And then you put out "shot placement". I'm supposed to believe that you know exactly where the critical CNS parts are on any given person, regardless of clothing, body composition, position, etc., and that you are 1) capable of actually placing a shot that would strike something vital, 2) making that shot before you get shot, and 3) doing so jacked up on adrenaline. Location of bullet impact is certainly critical, but I don't for a minute believe those that spout "shot placement!!" have the capabilities to call their shots. Are there BAMFs out there that can and have? Sure. But I doubt they're talking about it in forums.

Yes, you sacrifice magazine capacity because the rounds are bigger. But if shot placement is key, why do you need more than, say 8 or 10 rounds anyway?  That should be enough for you to take out a squad by yourself.

Now understand, I'm not trying to say ".40 rules, 9mm drools."  I said earlier all duty pistol rounds are relatively ineffective. Frankly, I own over twice as many 9mm as .40. When I can shoot one of them faster and more accurately than my EDC .40 P229, it'll take it's spot behind my hip (the PPQ may just do it...). And I don't care what anyone decides is the best caliber and platform for them. I'm simply arguing against your points because perhaps you may be the one in need of help in the clue department.

Use whatever works for you, even if it's .25 ACP. It makes no difference to my life.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:54:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What a genius argument. "Anyone who argues my point has no clue."  If you have a college degree, they're just handing them out these days.

It seems you believe that there is a significant difference in recoil, but no difference in performance. Never had physics in college I see.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone that shoots a 40 well will shoot a 9mm better.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I hunt big midwestern deer with handguns

I like the close range challenge

larger calibers like 45ACP, 45SUPER, and 44mag work better, in my experience, than smaller calibers like .357mag

I don't give a shit what the gelatin mafia says
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
"That's a negative Ghost Rider."

I disagree with that statement.  The caliber shouldn't dictate how proficient you are with a handgun.  It's a baseless blanket statement anyway.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 2:32:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I disagree too, caliber has no basis on how well somebody shoots a handgun.  I know the 9mm recoils a little bit less so maybe it would be correct to say that if someone shoots a .40 well they can shoot a 9mm easier, but that's pointless really as the difference in recoil isn't that substantial.  Maybe they mean you can shoot a 9mm faster, you know, split times .001 sec faster and all that...
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll also disagree.  I shoot my Sig p229 (.40) better than my p226 (9mm).  My accuracy is slightly better, and my followups are as good or better.  I didn't really notice that until I shot back to back (often shoot them both on same day, but to take 2-3 shots and then pick up the other gun and do 2-3 shots immediately was an eye opener for me).

Bullet choice is THE most important.  Can't just get a "modern hollowpoint".  there are good and bad if you look at the data.
Handguns are not super effective, but why not give yourself every advantage (not caliber argument, a "do your research on bullet choices argument).
You can have good shot placement even WITH the best ammo, so why people scream "shot placement" to justify getting inferior ammo makes no sense to me.

A larger hole often won't make any difference in wounding, but it MAY.  Could be difference between lacerating the aorta or not.
A smaller hole (caliber and/or quality of ammo) will at BEST do the same damage as the larger hole, and may do worse.
A larger hole will at WORST do the same damage as the smaller hole, and may do more.

I feel very confident carrying 9mm (HST), and usually only have 8-9 rounds (Walther PPS).  I would also feel very confident with either my 12+1 p229 or 15/18+1 p226 and see more bullets v. bigger bullets to be a wash.

Energy actually can matter (oh my God, did he actually SAY that!?).  read the FBI information and they determine it doesn't since "most" tissue is elastic, but they do confirm that higher energy causes more damage in inealastic tissue like CNS (brain), liver/spleen (both of which bleed a LOT), bone.

Soooo, equal bullets in .40 will do more damage than an equal bullet in 9mm.  That difference often won't make a difference in wounding, but it COULD and it is reasonable to justify a tradeoff in number of rounds carried.  It is also reasonable to justify having more rounds.  Whatever floats your boat.

I find it funny how unflexible people can be on this topic.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I hunt big midwestern deer with handguns

I like the close range challenge

larger calibers like 45ACP, 45SUPER, and 44mag work better, in my experience, than smaller calibers like .357mag

I don't give a shit what the gelatin mafia says
View Quote

At the risk of getting myself all in trouble with certain people, I totally agree with this.  I'm not sure gel testing covers ALL aspects of lethality.  I know that one time I was shooting at a log I propped up for a target at 25 meters.  It was not a huge log, but you know, a decent chunk of firewood.  And I was hitting it with my M9 and it would move a little, but never fell down.  I shot it with my XD .45 and it fell over on the first shot.  Here again I have no clue if that translates to lethality, but it definitely hits harder.  As far as .40 goes, I'm assuming it hits a little harder than a 9, just because the numbers show it and yeah, the recoil is a bit more.  I've only shot .40 one time but it felt just like I thought it would.  More than a 9mm but not as much a .45.  That's how it was for me.  

I've killed some deer in my time but it was always with rifle rounds, so.....   I don't have any real world experience.  But for me, if I had to choose, I'd feel better having a .45 than either.  And I'm thinking I'd probably rather have a .40 over 9mm.  However, I've carried .38, 9mm and .45 and I think they all have their upsides and downsides.  The upside to a 9mm, even though it may not hit as hard, might still be good enough for the job at hand.  And I used to always argue for the 9mm because the fact is, it's easier for me to shoot well and it's cheaper.  And is probably "good enough". And of course carries more rounds in similar sized weapons.   But I've held this opinion long before 9mm  was all the rage and it used to not be a very popular position.  

So what am I saying?  I don't know.  I think I'd prefer a bigger more powerful cartridge in the end.  But that's not to say 9mm doesn't have it's merits.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:55:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I shoot both equally well because I actually shoot my guns...a lot.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#18]
OH, the thing I remember I was going to say about deer hunting was I used a .35 remington some of the times and the 3 deer I shot with that round were DRT.  Not much movement.  Whereas the .30-06 and .30-30 I used, they typically ran for a ways.  It possible it's just different circumstances.  However, when you are getting consistent results, it seems to speak something to me.  So..  the .35 remington although only a bit bigger, seemed to hit harder.  And it's also slower than the other two.   So.......
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#19]
180gr. 40 s+w= 1050fps
185gr. 45acp= 1000fps  

.40 as powerful as a .45
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:41:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
180gr. 40 s+w= 1050fps
185gr. 45acp= 1000fps  

.40 as powerful as a .45
View Quote

with handloads is bests .357 magnum loads too...

40 = 9.0gr power-pistol, 155gr JHP  1409fps average   5" barrel  

357mag 17.3gr W296 158grJHP 1275 fps.   6" barrel

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I disagree with that statement.  The caliber shouldn't dictate how proficient you are with a handgun.  It's a baseless blanket statement anyway.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Recoil and muzzle flip absolutely have an effect on speed for all shooters. The same shooter running the same drills with a Glock 19 and a Glock 23 will do better with the 19 even if we limit the round count to compensate for the 40's lower capacity.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I disagree too, caliber has no basis on how well somebody shoots a handgun.  I know the 9mm recoils a little bit less so maybe it would be correct to say that if someone shoots a .40 well they can shoot a 9mm easier, but that's pointless really as the difference in recoil isn't that substantial.  Maybe they mean you can shoot a 9mm faster, you know, split times .001 sec faster and all that...
View Quote

Shooting a handgun well means hitting what you aim at, repeatedly, as fast as possible.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

have you checked with a timer? I think there are a few guys kidding themselves in this thread.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:36:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

have you checked with a timer? I think there are a few guys kidding themselves in this thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think there are more than a few guys winning comps everyday with 40s.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:20:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Let me start by saying my ccw is 9mm, but the .40 is better all around... Sorry 9mm fanboys but is the truth and you arguements fall flat.

Cheaper, not when you have to buy expensive boutique super ammo.. If you practice with what you carry, as you should be, it isn't cheaper.
Less recoil faster follow up shots, not when you have to buy +p or +p+ tp get anywhere near the same performance.
More rounds, a whole 2 rds, which doesn't matter if you watch your shot placement and use a .40.

I have shot literally hundreds of pig anywhere from 45-300#+ and the 40 or 45  drops them faster and consistently both do more damage. We try to recover the bullets and have only had a couple 40 not expand and many are recovered on the ground or just under the hide. We have multiple 9s fail to expand and none did the damage of the 40 or 45. But  I will say the 357 does the most damage.
Now as I said I usually carry a 9mm so I don't think it not a fine sd round, I think it is a great round but I think and have seen where the 40 and 45 are better. Of course opinions are like well you know the saying so this is just my opinion take it as you want. Oh and to the ones spouting the FBI science they did a great job with the science of hair indentification didn't they and lets not forget their the ones who gave us the 40 to begin with...
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:02:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Seems like a lot of people in this thread are arguing different things.

One thing to keep in mind is application. Someone hiking in the woods in grizzly bear country is going to have a different needs than an individual CC'ing in the hood (or burbs for that matter) They're both going to have different needs than the competition shooter, whose going to have different needs than the hunter. For different situations, there's a different answers.

There are things that 9mm does better than .40 (less recoil, higher capacity) there are things 40 does better than 9mm (barrier penetration, starting with 4 ) And that's ok.

I think the biggest point is pick what works best for you and your needs and rock on.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:50:58 PM EDT
[#27]
That's what im talking about!!!
I love my .40's so much i even bought a lee bullet mold in 180gr semi wad cutter. And became a fein for anything lead i can melt down and make bullets.
Not saying i load to max fps. pure lead should be around 800fps i guess. But as long as i have lead, powder, caps, and spent shells, ill never run out of ammo. And probably the same with all calibers, once you roll your own, shot placement, follow ups, accuracy, ability to practice all increase. The reason why i settled with .40 is the fact i always felt satisfied after shooting. Or that i always came home with a smile on my face. 9mm, .40, .45 all are great. I started with a 1911 .45, love it. Then a s&w m&p 9mm, great gun. But the universe has pulled me to the middle ground of the Glock .40, best all around for me. I like all the production ammo available too. The .40 is a newer round. Its a technology round. Its an advancement in science round. Once the .40 hits its own 100th birthday we will all shoot our .40's in the air  
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#28]
what he said,
when you go to bear country take the .454
when you go to church take the .25
but when you go to circle K better take the .40

i love all guns and ammo too much lol
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:30:19 PM EDT
[#29]
the .25 is less powerful than a .22 LR. I think.  I never got that round.  I'd at least go .32.  The mini .45.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:38:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Based on the arguments presented, I'm going to start carrying 22 LR. Higher capacity, cheaper to shoot, and faster on follow up shots due to less recoil.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:27:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Based on the arguments presented, I'm going to start carrying 22 LR. Higher capacity, cheaper to shoot, and faster on follow up shots due to less recoil.
View Quote

And since "shot placement" is all that matters, just put 100% of your shots in the bad guys head (as every Arfcommer knows he will do under stress) and you are good to go!  You are on to something.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:00:12 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote
In all seriousness, the KelTec PMR 30 would be perfect for a lot of Arfcomers.

-Holds 30 rounds, so it wins the capacity arguement.

-.22WM has lower recoil, so it wins faster follow-up shots.

-Speer Gold Dot & Hornady Critical Defense available, so modern bullet technology loads.

Everyone knows that modern bullet designs make caliber irrelevent.  Everyone knows that shot placement means more than caliber choice.  Therefore, the Keltec PMR 30 is the perfect defensive handgun for Arfcom.  Everyone can throw away thier other calibers now.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

-Speer Gold Dot & Hornady Critical Defense available, so modern bullet technology loads.

Everyone knows that modern bullet designs make caliber irrelevent.  Everyone knows that shot placement means more than caliber choice.  Therefore, the Keltec PMR 30 is the perfect defensive handgun for Arfcom.  Everyone can throw away thier other calibers now.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOVE IT!!  
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:12:25 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm going to want to start shooting limited so I pretty much have to shoot the fotay.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yet most competitors in production division use 9mm for the lower recoil and muzzle flip. Those that use .40 are usually using custom low recoil 40 "minor" loads.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:02:51 AM EDT
[#36]
.40 S&W is just kind of pointless to me, but then again, so are most calibers.  For example, I like the .45ACP, but I don't own one as it fills no need in my life.

I carry a 9mm because it's the smallest caliber that I'm comfortable will get the job done (and therefore makes for the smallest gun package that I will carry).  I've got most of my other guns in 9mm so I don't have to keep tons of different ammunition around.

A couple exceptions: I own a .22lr that I almost never use.  Just couldn't turn down the deal I got.  Would like to sell it now as it serves no purpose to me.  I also own a 10mm, because there are times I head out in the country.  Concealment is less of an issue so a bigger gun is OK, and once again, 10mm is the smallest caliber that is considered reliable against what I'm likely to meet out there.  Would a .454 be even more effective?  Sure, but then we're heading out of the reasonable to conceal range even further.  The goal is to have enough gun, concealed as well as possible.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I agree.  The 9mm is better than it used to be.  But,

All the bullet technology that improved the 9mm also improved the .40 caliber.
The .40 typically has 100 ft/lbs more energy than the 9mm
The .40 has more momentum.  Heavier bullets stop things better than light bullets at lower velocities.  

So, if all handguns suck in terms of stopping power, wouldn't a person want the caliber that sucks the least?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

The .40 has more momentum.  Heavier bullets stop things better than light bullets at lower velocities.  

So, if all handguns suck in terms of stopping power, wouldn't a person want the caliber that sucks the least?
View Quote
You are assuming those things make a difference in the real world, they don't. Handgun wounding mechanisms show the differences are of no real relevance. At least when one is discussing 9, 40, or 45 in the SD world
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#39]
For me the .40 never offered me something I didn't already get elsewhere.

I prefer the .45ACP when it comes to cast bullets.  I prefer the 10mm for loading warm loads that are .357 equivalent.

I prefer the 9mm for slim carry guns like my PPS and Shield, as well as in my G34s which are my primary range/HD guns.

Finally, I like the 9mm in my carbines.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is not all that reliable.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#41]
uh...peeps without one are haters
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:06:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
uh...peeps without one are haters
View Quote

There just jealous anyways
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:47:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
You are assuming those things make a difference in the real world, they don't. Handgun wounding mechanisms show the differences are of no real relevance. At least when one is discussing 9, 40, or 45 in the SD world
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Based on that logic, a .22 Long Rifle handgun should be the weapon of choice.  

It does matter.  They are lying.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Already discounted that foolish reply in my post, this is not General Discussion. Dr's Roberts, Fackler etc have credibility for me as well as others including this site; there is even basic info in the FAQ's in the Ammunition Subforum. Who are you that anyone should take your opinions seriously, we need some kind of citation. If you have no primary research to offer then who's data to you base your opinions on? This is a technical section - I have no desire to see it become another GD; I will no longer reply to your posts if it cannot be handled in that manner; not that the Moderators would allow it to in any case.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:37:48 PM EDT
[#45]
I think it has positives and negatives.

For me, the biggest positive is same felt recoil for ball as my carry ammo. (180 grain ball and 180 grain Ranger-T's.)

The only real negative was capacity and cost. 9mm is a little cheaper, and my 19 has 16 rounds in it.

I still really like .40, though.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#46]
7. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:30:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
LOVE IT!!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOVE IT!!  

We can't in California.  Hi Caps hurt the planet.

For me, I was already invested in reloading 9mm, .38, .357 and .45 ammo when .40 reared its head.

Aint nobody got time to reload yet another pistol caliber.  The .40 shooters around here can't even be bothered to pick up their brass.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:04:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Aint nobody got time to reload yet another pistol caliber.  The .40 shooters around here can't even be bothered to pick up their brass.
View Quote
And that is another reason that I like the .40. Free range brass for reloading.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 5:09:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, So true.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 8:47:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Some take hating the .40 personally & will do whatever to make sure others know even though they can do something about it.
As this thread......
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top