Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/15/2015 5:19:53 PM EDT
I have been looking at purchasing a pistol and today I went by my local gun shop to look at some guns. I tried out the G19, G26, and the Springfield XD mod 2 subcompact 9mm. I love the looks of a Glock, but the way it sits in my hand is awkward. On the other side, the XD fits perfectly in my hand. They seem better pretty much the same pistol. I know Glock has a great reputation, but I really like the Springfield's feeling.

I want compact for concealed carry and personal defense while outdoors. Especially fishing, hiking, camping, kayaking, boating, etc. This pistol will see mother nature at its best and at its worse. I need to know the reliability difference between the two. I DO NOT want one that will rust from the thought of water.

Does anyone have any personal opinions and experiences with these pistols? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I am a Glock guy .... both are excellent pistol both will work just the same by slinging copper coated candy.  Buy the one YOU like does not matter what the internet tells you because 90% of everyone is going to tell you Glock 19.
Mags are cheaper for the Glock is the only thing I can tell you that is a huge advantage in my book.  I dislike the XD trigger but that is personal preference.

The things you are concerned about water weather outdoors are a non issue for XD or Glock.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer the Glocks over the XD, the Glock bore is closer to the top of your hand which helps to control recoil.  I prefer Glock triggers over XD's plus there is a lot more after market support for Glock.  The Glock's generally feel lighter to me but this really depends on which models your comparing.  Basically boils down to personal choice and which fits your hand.  I'd recommend shooting both and then try to decide which you like best.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer Glock over XD, but they will preform equally in the reliability and weather resistance categories. Reading over your post, I see that you held the guns but didn't get a chance to shoot them. I know some people will disagree with this, but I personally don't think the way a gun feels in your hand in a gun store is a good indicator for how it will handle for you. If possible you need to shoot these guns. Whatever you end up going with and shooting a lot will become what feels "normal" and "right" to you. And as far as the looks of the gun, I wouldn't let that sway you at all.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have been looking at purchasing a pistol and today I went by my local gun shop to look at some guns. I tried out the G19, G26, and the Springfield XD mod 2 subcompact 9mm. I love the looks of a Glock, but the way it sits in my hand is awkward. On the other side, the XD fits perfectly in my hand. They seem better pretty much the same pistol. I know Glock has a great reputation, but I really like the Springfield.

I want compact for concealed carry and personal defense while outdoors. Especially fishing, hiking, camping, kayaking, boating, etc. This pistol will see mother nature at its best and at its worse. I need to know the readability difference between the two. I DO NOT want one that will rust from the thought of water.

Does anyone have any personal opinions and experiences with these pistols? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
View Quote

The Gen 3 Glocks do that with me.   The XD is perfect in my hand.

I have a Gen4 Glock 23. To be honest the only reason I keep it is due to the interchangability.  I have a 40, 9mm. 357 Sig barrel for it plus a 22lr conversion kit.  4 caliber on one frame.

I shoot the XD better and like the grip safety and the trigger better.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:32:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I like everything about the Glock better, except for the gripping and sights (which I am putting Night sights on anyways). The G26 is a Gen 4. The 19 is a Gen 3, but he has some Gen 4s coming in later this week. Is the $30-$40 difference between these generations even worth it? The Gen 3 Glocks run at $490 and Gen 4s are running at $525. The XD is at $475. Also, I like the size of the 19 in my hand, but if I'm concealing it, wouldn't it be very awkward in my pants?
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The gun that feels the best in your hand may well NOT be the gun you soot the best on the range.
View Quote

This. I loved the way the M&P 40c felt but shot a Glock 23 much better.

OP: def try shooting them first if you can.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The gun that feels the best in your hand may well NOT be the gun you soot the best on the range.

I did shoot one of my buddy's G19s a few weeks ago. I did like the smoothness of it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I am more accurate with the xd. I have a few of both and both are great pistols, but I prefer the xd. I like the loaded chamber indicator, striker indicator, and grip safety.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:50:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Please handle an XDS before you decide.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:58:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I like everything about the Glock better, except for the gripping and sights (which I am putting Night sights on anyways). The G26 is a Gen 4. The 19 is a Gen 3, but he has some Gen 4s coming in later this week. Is the $30-$40 difference between these generations even worth it? The Gen 3 Glocks run at $490 and Gen 4s are running at $525. The XD is at $475. Also, I like the size of the 19 in my hand, but if I'm concealing it, wouldn't it be very awkward in my pants?
View Quote

I like Gen3 best but that is because I started with that and it works for me, and I have lots of parts for it. It really boils down to preference on the Gen4 vs. Gen3.

Regarding your other question. The Glock 19 will be a better shooting gun. The 26 will conceal a little easier. Concealing a handgun is a separate skill from shooting. It takes time and practice to get good at it. And it takes appropriate gear: Belts, holsters, and clothes that help conceal. The better you are at it, the bigger gun you can conceal. There are plenty of people that conceal the Glock 17. As a beginner at concealed carry the 26 will be easier. As a beginner shooter you will find the 19 easier. So having said that, I think you should start with the 19. It is a good "do it all" gun. You can attach a light, get a full grip on it, has a good capacity, and is small enough to conceal. If you can have two guns, get a 17 and a 26. If you can have just one get a 19.

This is all just my opinion, and I'm just a guy on the internet.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:04:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I prefer the Glocks over the XD, the Glock bore is closer to the top of your hand which helps to control recoil.  I prefer Glock triggers over XD's plus there is a lot more after market support for Glock.  The Glock's generally feel lighter to me but this really depends on which models your comparing.  Basically boils down to personal choice and which fits your hand.  I'd recommend shooting both and then try to decide which you like best.
View Quote

+1.

I'm an owner of glocks and xd's.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:06:13 PM EDT
[#13]
buy an H&K
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:52:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I like Gen3 best but that is because I started with that and it works for me, and I have lots of parts for it. It really boils down to preference on the Gen4 vs. Gen3.

Regarding your other question. The Glock 19 will be a better shooting gun. The 26 will conceal a little easier. Concealing a handgun is a separate skill from shooting. It takes time and practice to get good at it. And it takes appropriate gear: Belts, holsters, and clothes that help conceal. The better you are at it, the bigger gun you can conceal. There are plenty of people that conceal the Glock 17. As a beginner at concealed carry the 26 will be easier. As a beginner shooter you will find the 19 easier. So having said that, I think you should start with the 19. It is a good "do it all" gun. You can attach a light, get a full grip on it, has a good capacity, and is small enough to conceal. If you can have two guns, get a 17 and a 26. If you can have just one get a 19.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 19 is probably what I am going to get now and then get the XD Mod 2 subcompact for Christmas from my parents. I am 20 and the G19 will be my first pistol. Then I can have both of these great pistols. Afterwards, I must get a little .22 magnum to have as a little snake buster.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:53:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
buy an H&K
View Quote

I have never even touched an H&K.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:14:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Glock.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:25:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I had an XD for a few years and you are correct the things feel great in your hand. I just never could shoot it as well as I could a Glock. You'll get used to the Glock grip if you should go that route.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:28:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I had an XD for a few years and you are correct the things feel great in your hand. I just never could shoot it as well as I could a Glock. You'll get used to the Glock grip if you should go that route.
View Quote

What caused you to get rid of it? The whole "Grip Zone" going down the side of it makes it look like some kind of airsoft gun.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:41:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The 19 is probably what I am going to get now and then get the XD Mod 2 subcompact for Christmas from my parents. I am 20 and the G19 will be my first pistol. Then I can have both of these great pistols. Afterwards, I must get a little .22 magnum to have as a little snake buster.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

9mm works just fine on snakes. Trust me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:21:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I own a Glock and an XDM. The only things I think are better with the Glock is the weight, and the aftermarket parts and accessories availability and price.

XDM has better mags. Better grip (subjective). Better trigger (at least mine does). Bigger/better mag release and slide release. Overall, the XD has more metal, and feels like a more solid gun. But that is just the feel I get, Glock is obviously as well tested and proven in the field as it gets.

Ether one is a good choice. I'd go with how it feels in your hand over the opinions of the vast Glock mafia. The XDM fits better in my hand, and I shoot it better even though it is a compact with a shorter barrel than the Glock.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Between those 2 I totally prefer the XD.  But hey, I'm not a Glock guy.  Really like the M&P line as well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't know anything about rust between the two pistols, but if you will be seeing a lot of Dust: Glock.

I carried an XD9 dirt biking for a while, and found that it only took about 3 or 4 rides for dust to collect in the magazine enough that it would FTFeed on about half of the shots.  I would have to completely clean out the mag for it to work again.  Have not had any problems with the Glock 17 in the same environments.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't know anything about rust between the two pistols, but if you will be seeing a lot of Dust: Glock.

I carried an XD9 dirt biking for a while, and found that it only took about 3 or 4 rides for dust to collect in the magazine enough that it would FTFeed on about half of the shots.  I would have to completely clean out the mag for it to work again.  Have not had any problems with the Glock 17 in the same environments.
View Quote

Does dust get into the Glock mag and not effect it or does it get less dust in it?
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Does dust get into the Glock mag and not effect it or does it get less dust in it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good question.  I always assumed it got dusty and it didn't matter but I took apart the mag I'm carrying now and it's pretty clean inside.  It's possible that the gun seals the magazine better and keeps it clean, but the trigger area gathers enough crud that I blow it with an air hose pretty often.

More testing and research to be done...
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 1:28:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I have both, and like both. I'd probably give the edge to the Glock, but then again it's had a little trigger work and the XD hasn't. My son carries the XD/s and I have a G19, and each would be comfortable with the other's gun.

To muddy the waters, I've recently picked up a Shield.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, I just special ordered the G19 Gen 4 at my local gun shop. It made me $525 poorer. It should come in Saturday! Now, does anyone know of a place that sells night sights at a reasonable price?

Now here is the big question, G26 subcompact 9mm or XD mod 2 subcompact 9mm?
One of these will be my next purchase. I am leaning towards the XD on this one. The G26 is too small to be comfortable. I can say that much.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Well, I just special ordered the G19 Gen 4 at my local gun shop. It made me $525 poorer. It should come in Saturday! Now, does anyone know of a place that sells night sights at a reasonable price?

One of these will be my next purchase. I am leaning towards the XD on this one. The G26 is too small to be comfortable. I can say that much.
View Quote

I'm a little torn on this one.  You've already picked up a solid compact handgun in the G19, no doubt.  While I have't had the opportunity to shoot the Mod 2, I really like my XD subcompact, and I prefer the trigger on the XDs to the Glock triggers.  You can get the pinky extension for both, but in the end I prefer the grip on the XD over the Glocks as well.  The XD is a much more natural pointer for me.  Can't go wrong with either, but I'd give the nod to the XD.  I admit that the "GRIP ZONE" is nothing short of stupid, but if that aesthetic turns you off, try the legacy XD subcompacts.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm a little torn on this one.  You've already picked up a solid compact handgun in the G19, no doubt.  While I have't had the opportunity to shoot the Mod 2, I really like my XD subcompact, and I prefer the trigger on the XDs to the Glock triggers.  You can get the pinky extension for both, but in the end I prefer the grip on the XD over the Glocks as well.  The XD is a much more natural pointer for me.  Can't go wrong with either, but I'd give the nod to the XD.  I admit that the "GRIP ZONE" is nothing short of stupid, but if that aesthetic turns you off, try the legacy XD subcompacts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How similar are the Legacy XD's to the XD mod 2s?
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 3:52:32 PM EDT
[#30]
I am a Glock 19 guy, the only 9mm I will own is a Glock 19 (I have 3). G26 way to small and uncomfortable for me. In 45, I have the XDs and G30SF and love and carry them both. Full size is a different story. I will never get rid of any of my SA 1911's for XD 4" Service, not would I part with my HK USP 45. Find what fits you the best and that you enjoy shooting.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mechanically they're identical.  They're (mod 2) a bit less blocky, and the ergonomics are improved. It's apparently a bit slimmer as well.  I liked it somewhat better than the legacy XDSC, but it's a generational improvement, not a whole new gun.

ETA: It's a nice refinement of the legacy XDSC.  Given the choice between the two, I'd go with the Mod 2.

ETA2: The Mod 2 comes standard with decent sights.  The XDSCs come with basic serviceable 3 dot sights, but are a bitch to swap out for something else.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Mechanically they're identical.  They're (mod 2) a bit less blocky, and the ergonomics are improved. It's apparently a bit slimmer as well.  I liked it somewhat better than the legacy XDSC, but it's a generational improvement, not a whole new gun.

ETA: It's a nice refinement of the legacy XDSC.  Given the choice between the two, I'd go with the Mod 2.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just can't get over the cheesy "GRIP ZONE" Who honestly thought that would be a nice addition to the gun? It would be 100x's better without that written on it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I just can't get over the cheesy "GRIP ZONE" Who honestly thought that would be a nice addition to the gun? It would be 100x's better without that written on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think you'll get much argument about that from even the most die-hard XD fan.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#34]

Yeah, not only that it is functionally stupid. They spend all this effort into texturing the frame on say like the bacstrap, and then like 30% of it is taken up by a big "XD". The "Grip Zone" on the side is confusing, I mean is it reminding me that is the area that I am supposed to grip the firearm. Thank God for that. I was planning on holding it like a Wii remote. I feel like their engineers were probably pretty pleased with their design features and then it left their hands and some fucktarded person in marketing went nuts on it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#35]
"Grip Zone" should be on a airsoft gun
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 3:57:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Every time I handle or shoot an XD, I wonder how anyone got suckered into buying them.  They literally are the biggest sham in the polymer pistol world.

At 250 dollars for an HS2000, they're a good gun.

Glock all day any day.  Keep your grip safeties on 1911's, but preferably ones that don't disable slide manipulation.

The VP9 effectively ended any possible reason to ever even consider an XD based on what XD owners have told me was their justification for buying the gun, which is usually that they prefer the trigger and don't want to tinker with it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Every time I handle or shoot an XD, I wonder how anyone got suckered into buying them.  They literally are the biggest sham in the polymer pistol world.

Glock all day any day.  Keep your grip safeties on 1911's, but preferably ones that don't disable slide manipulation.

The VP9 effectively ended any possible reason to ever even consider an XD based on what XD owners have told me was their justification for buying the gun, which is usually that they prefer the trigger and don't want to tinker with it.
View Quote

I don't think you could cram anymore emotion or opinion into that post. Too bad there are zero facts to back up any of it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a VP9, Glocks, XDs, plus some other shit that I like.  Getting the VP9 or the Glock didn't make me dislike my XD.  Everything that you think makes an XD/HS2000 a $250 pistol, would make a Glock go for even less.  XD has always had actual steel parts where Glock uses MIM or plastic, like the guide rod in Gen3 and earlier Glocks, firing pins, locking block insert in the frame, extractor, etc, etc.  Let's not pretend that Glock, Walther, XD, M&P, or any other polymer striker fired pistol is that much different than the other in materials or amount of labor needed to craft said plastic gun.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

So I should go with a rubber band gun instead of a XD?
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have a Gen4 Glock 23. To be honest the only reason I keep it is due to the interchangability.  I have a 40, 9mm. 357 Sig barrel for it plus a 22lr conversion kit.  4 caliber on one frame.
View Quote

You could do that with an XD or XDm, too, at least since the Advantage Arms XD/XDm kits came out.  The XD would be the better way to go opposed to the XDm, since the XDm barrels are expensive, but it could probably be done either way.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:44:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I'd go with one of the other decent manufacturers handguns out there.  Check out Glock, S&W, Walther, HK, CZ, Sig, Beretta, Colt, FN, etc.

But on a serious note, the rubberband gun would be more reliable and durable.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:41:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No, I'd go with one of the other decent manufacturers handguns out there.  Check out Glock, S&W, Walther, HK, CZ, Sig, Beretta, Colt, FN, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went with the G19 Gen 4
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:08:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Gotta shoot em OP. You never know until you try. I have gone from a XD guy to a 1911 guy to a Glock guy. Now I found the FNS...
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Gotta shoot em OP. You never know until you try. I have gone from a XD guy to a 1911 guy to a Glock guy. Now I found the FNS...
View Quote

Why so many changes? Boredom?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I carry a G19 AIWB with a light too !!! so  NO it's not awkward to carry at all. Any help you need let us know. A good holster and belt and you can carry anything
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:57:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I carry a G19 AIWB with a light too !!! so  NO it's not awkward to carry at all. Any help you need let us know. A good holster and belt and you can carry anything
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went with a G19 Gen 4 and ordered this holster with the paddle and also a belt attachment

http://www.tacticalholsters.com/product/XST/XST-Standard.html

Is there a certain recommended belt to use for daily carry? Wouldn't my standard leather belt work just fine?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I went with a G19 Gen 4 and ordered this holster with the paddle and also a belt attachment

Is there a certain recommended belt to use for daily carry? Wouldn't my standard leather belt work just fine?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe, depends on how resistant the belt is to torsion. The stiffness of the belt helps it keep its shape against you without having to cinch the shit out of it and make it uncomfortable
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Maybe, depends on how resistant the belt is to torsion. The stiffness of the belt helps it keep its shape against you without having to cinch the shit out of it and make it uncomfortable
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a soft leather belt, not stiff at all.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd get a better one then.  Lots of manufacturers are good, Ares, Beltman, Crossbreed, etc.  Expensive, but worth it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#50]

"I'd get a better one then.  Lots of manufacturers are good, Ares, Beltman, Crossbreed, etc.  Expensive, but worth it."

Do they belts look like a normal, casual belt?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top