Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2015 1:01:40 PM EDT
what is your favorite method of corrective prescription eye wear?  specifically for handgun and rifle shooting

contacts?

progressive lenses?

non-progressive Rx lenses?

this friend of mine is an aspiring competition shooter wants to know  
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I couldn't see or hit shit at any distance until I got glasses. I had bifocals then I switch to non progressive for distance only since that's what my eyes need most.

Try some Wileys. They aren't too expensive.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I couldn't see or hit shit at any distance until I got glasses. I had bifocals then I switch to non progressive for distance only since that's what my eyes need most.

Try some Wileys. They aren't too expensive.
View Quote

I have a pair in my distance prescription, sunglasses/ yellow/brown tint
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I was about to ask this same question, I need something, my eyes/contacts suck...
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Contact lenses.  Then I can wear whatever eyepro/sunglasses I want.  
Looking through a scope with prescription glasses is a pain in the ass, and usually isn't conducive to a proper cheek weld or head alignment.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 2:23:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm short sighted and wear glasses. It's another layer of protection and I can't deal with placing anything near my eye.

I use regular glasses and have a pair of Wiley sunglasses.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I wear progressive bifocals.  For rifle and shotgun I don't need to make any adjustments.  For pistol I have found get a pair readers in the magnification I need helps me focus on the front sight.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Contacts
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Contact lenses, for many reasons.  Primarily, they allow you to wear better shooting glasses. I wear my Oakley's, they make me happy.  

I often hunt and target shoot in subfreezing temps, so prescription spectacles are out.  Snowmobile goggles must be paired with contacts, and I often take my snowmobile to get to my shooting spot in the winter.  Contacts don't get foggy. Better peripheral, better depth perception and better night vision are also some of the benefits, at least for me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Does anybody have any issue with red dots going "fuzzy" or elongating, with contacts? I have worn contacts for 20 years or so, but whenever I look down the red dot (particularly on a rifle) the dot distorts.

I may need to get my contacts refitted or something, just wondering if anybody else has this problem.

(It doesn't happen if i wear my prescription glasses)
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Contact lenses, for many reasons.  Primarily, they allow you to wear better shooting glasses. I wear my Oakley's, they make me happy.  

I often hunt and target shoot in subfreezing temps, so prescription spectacles are out.  Snowmobile goggles must be paired with contacts, and I often take my snowmobile to get to my shooting spot in the winter.  Contacts don't get foggy. Better peripheral, better depth perception and better night vision are also some of the benefits, at least for me.
View Quote

nice...I've got an appointment to do the whole first time contact lense thang here soon...
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Does anybody have any issue with red dots going "fuzzy" or elongating, with contacts? I have worn contacts for 20 years or so, but whenever I look down the red dot (particularly on a rifle) the dot distorts.

I may need to get my contacts refitted or something, just wondering if anybody else has this problem.

View Quote

Do you have astigmatism?
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Do you have astigmatism?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have astigmatism?

I'm told I do...night driving is very annoying with oncoming headlights ...especially ones out of adjustment
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Do you have astigmatism?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have astigmatism?

I've never been diagnosed with astigmatism, I've heard that can cause it, so that was my first thought as well.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I wear contacts 99% of the time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 5:06:54 PM EDT
[#15]
thanks for your responses!

you guys rock
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:05:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a 3.75 diopter astigmatism and wear bifocals... after several different attempts, finally came up with a monovision option that works for me so I can see the front sight and use a good scope... my near vision prescription only in my dominant eye lens (my right), normal bifocal prescription in my non dominant, with the division line moved up a couple of millimeters... this works for multigun shotgun stages, but I use regular bifocals for shooting clay birds... I do not see a spherical holographic or illuminated dot, so have to go with higher quality optical sights...it takes about 1/2 hour after you put the glasses on, until you have good depth perception... even then, I had some problems navigating the long run on uneven ground at Area 6
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:49:04 PM EDT
[#17]
They do make contacts that can correct astigmatism now. It used to be that you had to do glasses for that. I used to just deal with the astigmatism and wear glasses. Weird thing happened. As I got older my vision got a little worse but my astigmatism went away. But yeah, the red dot issue is probably due to astigmatism.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I've been near sighted for a while, happens I guess as you get older. I use eye-pro. It's not a corrective lens, it's just simply a small vinyl type patch that goes on your shooting glasses. It attaches simply by static. It has a small hole in it that you see through. Think of an up close peep sight. I guess it forces your eye to concentrate harder on the image. Strange as it may seem, it works. Of course, If your Mr. Magoo, it may not help much.

Here's another oddity. Since being canned from my job staring at computer screens a couple years ago, my eyesight has improved. So much so that the registry of motor vehicles removed my restrictions of having to operate with corrective lenses last week when I renewed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:31:40 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a pair of prescription aviator sunglasses that I generally wear when shooting.

I've considered getting dedicated shooting prescription glasses that have a better impact rating, but all the frames for them look butt ugly.

My prescription is very slight though... standard lenses, no progressive or bifocal.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:26:27 AM EDT
[#20]
I wear bifocals and have no problems with irons or dots.
I could not stand progressives--I was getting a neck crick trying to find the spot that was focused.
My eye doctor, who shoots bows, said if bifocals cause a problem, just get single vision that let you focus on the sight.

That said, my "range glasses" are Oakley shield style glasses with a single vision prescription insert. They're comfortable, uber safe, and crystal clear.

ETA: I'm near sighted with astigmatism and over-40 eyes (presbyopia).
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#21]
progressive lenses.
I can always find the sweet spot by tilting my head a little more or a little less.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I moved to progressive lenses for daily wear about a decade ago.
I found that if I hold my head level and bring the handgun up to my eye level they work just fine.
If I tilt my head down a bit they are terrible.
So....
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 1:04:32 PM EDT
[#23]
The best thing IMO is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexon

Titanium/nickel alloy

These things are expensive, but they are feather light, especially when ordered with the light weight, thinned, high impact and abrasion resistant polymer lenses.

I wore contacts for many years, but I have astigmatism and astigmatic contacts just aren't stable enough in my eye (they have an "up" and a "down").  And contacts don't address the eye protection issue.

And inexpensive eye glasses are usually pretty heavy and also pretty fragile.  
The "Flexons" are very strong and can be bent to a pretty extreme extent and they just return to their original shape.
If you order these frames with the right lenses, they will do perfectly good double duty as eye protection on the firing line.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Contacts for my aging eyes , though after a long shoot my eyes get tired of the back and forth focus.

My glasses have a tendency to not line up correctly when rifle shooting , so rarely do I wear them out.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Looking through a scope with prescription glasses is a pain in the ass, and usually isn't conducive to a proper cheek weld or head alignment.  
View Quote

This for me.  Also no frame/border and acceptable vision through my entire field of view is a bonus for shooting USPSA/IDPA type stuff.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
what is your favorite method of corrective prescription eye wear?  specifically for handgun and rifle shooting

contacts?

progressive lenses?

non-progressive Rx lenses?

this friend of mine is an aspiring competition shooter wants to know  
View Quote

I have progressive/bifocals for daily wear.  Single vision are what I wear when shooting.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:19:27 PM EDT
[#27]
I used to have terrible eyesight and an astigmatism. I wore Rx glasses all the time.

Then I had customized Wavefront Lasik done abut 5 years ago... 20/20 in both eyes, and it corrected the astigmatism too! Best 5 years of my life eyesight-wise.

A month ago I had to have surgery (scleral buckling procedure) for a detached retina in my right eye which actually changes the shape of my eye. I'm still recovering, so I have no idea what my vision is going to end-up when all is said and done. I'll probably end up back in Rx glasses, though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:40:09 AM EDT
[#28]
aww sorry to hear that...  positive waves
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Astigmatism, far sighted, cross eye dominant and wear progressive lenses.  Find that when shooting being that I am far sighted it is really a non-issue.  Red dot in my Aimpoints looks like a blob if I have the brightness turned up too high and I find that when shooting a scoped rifle is really a non-issue with or without glasses.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:15:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Contact lenses. Standard contact in left eye, bifocal in right eye. been wearing this setup 4 years.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm wearing the new contacts!  I like.

specifically for shooting rockcrusher?

thanks!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:04:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Progressive
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:52:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:30:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Contacts
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 8:41:27 AM EDT
[#35]
I used to wear contacts all the time, but over the past 3 years, I've developed some allergy issues that have really kept me out of them now.

I used to wear my prescription safety glasses, but recently bought a set of Smith Optics Aegis Echo glasses with the prescription insert.  Been using them for about 4 months now, and really like them.  The insert doesn't offer a full size like a pair of prescription glasses, but work very well.  And I like being able to swap out the main safety lens for different colors, to suit lighting conditions.

My next pair will likely be a pair of Wiley X or Oakleys with the swappable lenses.  Disadvantage there is that you have to buy each set of prescription lenses ($$).  

But I really like my Aegis Echos right now.  Serve my needs nicely, and actually had several guys at my last 2 classes ask me about them and express interest.

Oh, one other note - late last year, my eye doc told me it's almost time for me to go to progressives (I'm only 40, but I blame a lot of close-in iPad and phone time, lol), so I will consider that in the future.  However, when shooting, I like having my entire lens area one prescription, so I don't have to think about where to put my eyeballs.  I'm sure I'd get used to it over time, however.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I've never been diagnosed with astigmatism, I've heard that can cause it, so that was my first thought as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have astigmatism?

Classic sign of uncorrected astigmatism.
Seeing 'commas' or 'tails' on bright small lights in the dark is another.

Astigmatic soft lenses (AKA 'toric lenses') are available.

One down side to them is that if you head is not upright the angle of the lens shifts.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Working as a mechanic I have a set of Uvex prescription safety glasses, I love em and use them for shooting and when riding my motorcycles. I have simply never been able to get used to contacts...
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

One down side to them is that if you head is not upright the angle of the lens shifts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have astigmatism?

This is a problem if lying sideways on a couch watching a movie.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#39]
you guys should hear the cursing in the last two mornings getting these little fuckerz off my finger and into my eye.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have an astigmatism and even with my glasses on red dots are still fuzzy, the dot is noticeably clearer but still fuzzy. The tritium/fiber optic reticles have always been clear and not distorted to me though.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
you guys should hear the cursing in the last two mornings getting these little fuckerz off my finger and into my eye.

View Quote

Thats why I stick to regular glasses. I hate putting stuff in my eyes.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I tried contacts.  I vividly remember my bulging blood vessels, blood shot eyes, tongue hanging out and silently cursing in my office bathroom.  This was after successfully getting only one in and then struggling to get that bastard out after failing to get the second one in.  I looked absolutely demonic.

I threw the remaining lenses in the garbage, but I'm not overly happy at the limited offering of shooting glasses and just recently started looking at the Oakley line and it seems there are more options today.  At the time I was first prescribed glasses, Oakley had their M frames with a corrective lens applied to the protective lens.  It looked cheesy to me. While "form follows function", so should the price.

Anyone familiar with Oakley's current Rx lineup?  Any input would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I tried contacts.  I vividly remember my bulging blood vessels, blood shot eyes, tongue hanging out and silently cursing in my office bathroom.  This was after successfully getting only one in and then struggling to get that bastard out after failing to get the second one in.  I looked absolutely demonic.

I threw the remaining lenses in the garbage, but I'm not overly happy at the limited offering of shooting glasses and just recently started looking at the Oakley line and it seems there are more options today.  At the time I was first prescribed glasses, Oakley had their M frames with a corrective lens applied to the protective lens.  It looked cheesy to me. While "form follows function", so should the price.

Anyone familiar with Oakley's current Rx lineup?  Any input would be appreciated!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oakley lenses are all going to be at least ANSI z87.1 impact tested, from what I know, but the M-frame line are their only glasses with the z87.1 rating. IIRC the rating has to do with the frame as much as the lenses. I wear my Oakley Rx sunglasses and regular glasses as my eye-pro trust Oakley with my eyes, neither has z87.1 frames.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 6:57:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Prescription glasses.
Dominant eye has bifocal on top (less than 1/3) rest of the lens is for distance.
Left lens is entirely for distance.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:16:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Contacts for me. I use a +1.00 power contact in my dominant eye and my distance prescription in the other eye. I believe this is called a mono-vision set up. I'm in my 50's and can't focus up close worth a shit anymore. This set up works pretty well, but I definitely  want them out as soon as I'm done shooting. I see a slight double image or shifting of the image with the contacts in. I wouldn't want to wear them 24/7.    

I'm determined to continue shooting iron-sighted guns in USPSA competition for as long as I can, so I've been working on a solution for dealing with my presbyopia.  

Putting in contacts gets easier with practice. You've got to figure out a way to keep from blinking as you put them in.  That's the trick or part of the trick, at least.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:15:35 AM EDT
[#46]
I just wear my normal eyeglasses, they have polycarbonate lenses so I don't worry about it.  I hate wearing glasses though and I have a major aversion to having anything touch my eyes so contacts are out.  The idea of having someone cutting or zapping my eyes freaks me the hell out so having surgery freaks me the hell out.  Shooting with glasses isn't difficult even using a scope so that hasn't too big an issue but I would LOVE to have my good vision back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top