Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2015 2:29:07 PM EDT
My wife is looking to change out her carry pistol (currently an LC9) to something she likes better.  She's also going to try IWB carrying, so we're looking at single stack 9mm, non-micro and non-1911 (I have another thread for that) options.

We were at the NRA show over the weekend and she got to fondle the M&P Shield (hated it, but loves to shoot my M&P9 FS pro series), the P938 (loves it), and the Glock 43 (didn't really care for it).

Help me come up with a list of options / models to try, and we're going to try and rent as many as we can so she can put rounds down range before buying something that she likes in the store, but hates at the range (she has an LC9 - really liked it in the store, but has come to hate it - it has the shittiest trigger.  ever.).

• 9mm single stack only, plz

• textured grip - biggest dislike of the G43/Shield was the semi-slick grip textures

• compact or subcompact - I'd rather her carry a compact for accuracy/training, but she has to like shooting it

• beavertail - what she loved about my M&P, the P938 and the EMP/RO Compact she picked up was the beavertail - another reason she disliked the G43/Shield

• safety - she feels more comfortable with an external safety

Dislikes

• caliber - doesn't want to shoot anything larger than 9mm in compact size, and I don't want her carrying anything smaller than defensive 9mm

• grips that are mostly smooth unless they can be exchanged - doesn't want to have to perform custom stippling

• I'd prefer striker to hammer fired, but she's okay with either

• slick or thinly stippled slide - her hands are small and dry (see grip texture) and the slide needs to be easy to grab & rack

ETA - made it more obvious she already has an LC9
ETA more - her three favorite pistols to shoot are my 92FS, M&P9 fs, and USP tactical - none of which will conceal well in the jeans of a 5'2" woman
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#1]
FWIW, you could add Talon or Traction grips to the Shield to make it stickier if that was the only issue. Both the Kahr CW9 and K9 are nice and slim SS9's. There's also the Springfield XDs.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#2]
3919, 3913(alloy frame so they are heavier than polymer), both cats meow.  The 239 sig sauer is hit or miss some people don't like it some love it. Khar also makes a single stack 9 that is really just a double action revolver(trigger is almost the exact same).
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#3]
P938
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I hate to say it since you what her to have a single stack 9mm and all but it my not be the gun but the caliber. Them single stack 9mms and micro 380s can be a hand full too shoot so to speak. Let her try a 380 auto gun gun like a PPK, Bersa Thunder, Glock 42, Sig 238 or a Colt Mustang. Put some of them high speed 380s HP in it and away you go. My sister carries a Bersa Thunder 380+ 15+1 Gold Dots should do the job.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 3:19:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I EDC a 938. I love it.

Much better than a J frame and smaller than my MK25.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Beretta Nano or Sig P938.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#7]
XDS or Bersa BP9
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 5:07:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Beretta Nano
View Quote

Seriously?

Try the xds 9, my girlfriend handled every compact 9 and 380 they had and didnt really care for any of them, as soon as I put that xds in her hand she was in love.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Walther PPS  ( I almost got one..  But a P239 won)

SIG
    P239 ( I have the P239 Tactical with the front serrations, Short Reset Trigger, night sights, and threaded barrel)
    P938  ( I am thinking this might be my summer carry SIG )

Edit to comment about the P239 being hit / miss..   It isn't a light gun for a single stack.  When it was introduced, it was a great gun, but now with advances in weapons, there is more choices in smaller, lighter and capacity.  I  have ten rounds with a P239 ; Seven rounds with 40/357SIG in the P239.  Ten rounds is a lot for a single stack.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 5:57:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Nobody said G43?  Wow.  

Maybe it's not out yet.  I don't know.  ETA:  I just saw Miami JBT's came in, so....

I can't think of any other listed other than the S&W 39.  But someone mentioned the ones that came after it.

Hang on, that squeeze cocker gun H&K made.  And then wasn't the P7 one too?

I had just thought of another, but now forgot...  ugh.  Getting old.  Oh, the Beretta 92 Compact M.  Hard to find though.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Bersa.  Can be found for $299 shipped
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't get TOO hung up on the  'single stack'   idea.

Glock 26 is small, 26 ounces loaded, conceals easy, SHOOTS easy.

,. If you HAVE to have skinny, the Ruger LC9  works every time.

the SIG P290   also works, and comes with night sights, but is not appreciably  lighter.

Shield is  really TALL for  it's limited  ammo capacity.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#13]
is your wife in your avatar?

I'd say a 938 and practice the safety.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:26:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Seriously?

Try the xds 9, my girlfriend handled every compact 9 and 380 they had and didnt really care for any of them, as soon as I put that xds in her hand she was in love.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beretta Nano

Seriously?

We tried the nano at the show and she hated it.  I have the XDS in .45, but we could try 9mm.

Quoted:
Nobody said G43?  Wow.  

I did, in the OP.

Quoted:
Don't get TOO hung up on the  'single stack'   idea.

Shield is  really TALL for  it's limited  ammo capacity.

I'm not, but she is at the moment (this may all change once she gets some range time).  I like that the shield is tall, vs. trying to squeeze 3 fingers on a short grip.

Quoted:
is your wife in your avatar?

I'd say a 938 and practice the safety.

Of course!

(actually, see my sig)
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:43:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I think you need to have her fire a pistol in your target list (any) to make sure she understands what it's going to be like.

Otherwise:

Taurus Curve

Keltec PF9

Boberg XR-9s (about 1k tho and unusual gun)

Beretta PX4 Subcompact (not single stack, but real smooth shooter)

Going to .380 opens up a whole bunch more options.

Firing my PF9 is like getting slapped with a stick. It's not fun at all.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:54:39 PM EDT
[#16]
You could get whatever you want ... Stippled as rough as she likes !

Another vote for PPS also.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:54:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Something I ended up doing with all of my handguns is a really narrow ten speed type bicycle inner tube.  Cut off to size.  Helps my hand stick to the grips like glue, even when sweaty.  It's very thin, unlike Hogue and other grips.  One inner tube is cheap and you can give it a try without great loss.

A lot of people seem to like the Ruger LC9/s.  It has a safety still, but is striker fired, and that inner rube might give it just the right grip for your amazing wife.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:40:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Don't toss a gun out because of the grip. I put Talon Grips on my Bersa BP9 (great gun, but no external safety), and it makes a huge difference. Totally transformed the grip on the gun, and it has held up pretty well to being carried every day.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:07:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A lot of people seem to like the Ruger LC9/s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

She has an LC9 and hates it (we both do).  I'll fix the OP to make it more clear.

Quoted:
Don't toss a gun out because of the grip. I put Talon Grips on my Bersa BP9 (great gun, but no external safety), and it makes a huge difference. Totally transformed the grip on the gun, and it has held up pretty well to being carried every day.

That was my comment to her.  Between small hands, dry skin (low friction) and MS, she has trouble hanging onto things.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:25:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My wife is looking to change out her carry pistol (currently an LC9) to something she likes better.  She's also going to try IWB carrying, so we're looking at single stack 9mm, non-micro and non-1911 (I have another thread for that) options.

We were at the NRA show over the weekend and she got to fondle the M&P Shield (hated it, but loves to shoot my M&P9 FS pro series), the P938 (loves it), and the Glock 43 (didn't really care for it).

Help me come up with a list of options / models to try, and we're going to try and rent as many as we can so she can put rounds down range before buying something that she likes in the store, but hates at the range (she has an LC9 - really liked it in the store, but has come to hate it - it has the shittiest trigger.  ever.).

• textured grip - biggest dislike of the G43/Shield was the semi-slick grip textures

• compact or subcompact - I'd rather her carry a compact for accuracy/training, but she has to like shooting it

• beavertail - what she loved about my M&P, the P938 and the EMP/RO Compact she picked up was the beavertail - another reason she disliked the G43/Shield

Dislikes

• caliber - doesn't want to shoot anything larger than 9mm in compact size, and I don't want her carrying anything smaller than defensive 9mm

• grips that are mostly smooth unless they can be exchanged - doesn't want to have to perform custom stippling

• slick or thinly stippled slide - her hands are small and dry (see grip texture) and the slide needs to be easy to grab & rack

ETA more - her three favorite pistols to shoot are my 92FS, M&P9 fs, and USP tactical - none of which will conceal well in the jeans of a 5'2" woman
View Quote

IMHO you are making too many of the decisions for her.  She would probably be better off with a 32 or 380.  The trigger doesn't have to be match to get the job done.

There are other options other than belt carry for a woman. Purse or Fanny pack work fine also.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:03:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Kahr CW9/P9 - 7+1 - longer DAO trigger style
Kahr CM9/PM9 - 6+1 - longer DAO trigger style

Bersa BP9cc - 8+1 - best trigger hands down on a single stack

SA XDs - 7+1 - grip safety, priced a lil higher

Walther CCP - 8+1 - overly complicated teardown, supposedly a softer shooter & easy to rack
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:22:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

She has an LC9 and hates it (we both do).  I'll fix the OP to make it more clear.

That was my comment to her.  Between small hands, dry skin (low friction) and MS, she has trouble hanging onto things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHY does she not like the LC9?

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:05:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Dislikes

View Quote

My wife loved my Kahr PM9.  I also have Talon grips on mine.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks everyone for the suggestions - we're checking all the suggestions online and building a range test list.

Quoted:
IMHO you are making too many of the decisions for her.  She would probably be better off with a 32 or 380.  The trigger doesn't have to be match to get the job done.

There are other options other than belt carry for a woman. Purse or Fanny pack work fine also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The only decision I've made is to suggest she carry 9mm.  She agrees.

She already has a .32 mag Ti AirLite S&W revolver and loves it.  7-9 rounds of 9mm > 6 rounds of .32, reloads on an auto are easier to carry and perform, and a think auto fits IWB better than any revolver.

She has two CCW purses - Concealed Carrie and Gun Totin' Mamas.  While purse carrying is better than no carry, its is worse than belt carry in every conceivable measurement.

Given the results on most "training" threads/polls here, she's had more formal training than 75-90% of the site.  All of the above are results of what we've learning in training, range time or daily carry.  This is not me dictating my personal preferences on a new female shooter.

Quoted:

It has, by far, the worst trigger of any handgun we own (I think around 20 autos and 1 revolver at this point).  Travel is way too far for a SAO striker, take up is too heavy for a subcompact SA, and reset is horribly ambiguous.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:03:04 AM EDT
[#25]
I arrived at the Walther PPS I like the interchangeable backstrap and the European style mag release on the trigger guard.  I say find a range that will let you test fire and get her to fire the pistols before you buy.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Walther PPS

I can also recommend the folowing:
Kahr CM9/PM9
Sig P290RS

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#28]
You are aware the LC9 and LC9S are two different pistols? The LC9 is a hammer fired pistol while the S is a striker with a much improved trigger.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:34:55 AM EDT
[#29]
XDS in 9MM, externally its the same size as your XDS .45. Let her carry it around the house concealed and see if she likes it. Have her tear it down, clean it, and in general get familiar with it. While it doesn't have a frame safety, it does have the grip and trigger safeties, show her how those work and see if that's a setup she's comfortable with. It seems that now that SA has released the 4.0" XDS, they're starting to make some deals on the 3.3" XDS, as I picked mine up for $425 recently.

Otherwise, the Bersa BP9C is supposed to be a great gun at a great price. My wife has a Thunder in .380 and loves it, and while it's a completely different gun than the BP9C, if it's anything like the Thunder series, it should be a solid and reliable gun.

Also, have you though about upgrading to the LC9S Pro? Supposedly the trigger is fantastic, and if that's your wife's only complaint about her LC9, then there wouldn't the learning curve of switching to a new platform.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#30]
^^^^Grab a gun has the 3.3 XDs 9 for $385.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:45:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
^^^^Grab a gun has the 3.3 XDs 9 for $385.
View Quote

Damn, that's cheap. Assuming shipping is free, even with a transfer fee, you'll likely be less than $415 before taxes in most places.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#32]

It has, by far, the worst trigger of any handgun we own (I think around 20 autos and 1 revolver at this point).  Travel is way too far for a SAO striker, take up is too heavy for a subcompact SA, and reset is horribly ambiguous.
View All Quotes

Quoted:

Ok. Skip the PF9 then.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I would take a close look at the XDS line.  If it is for IWB carry you might consider the XDS 4.0 .  It has a longer barrel and shoots great.  Just remember the barrel length is not as important as the grip length when carrying IWB.  The grip is what will make you print.  Also working the slide is easier with a longer barrel gun.

All XDS have a Grip safety, which is about the simplest safety to use.  There is no extra step when drawing the weapon, you just need to practice using the correct grip.

If she is looking a carrying in a bag or purse the 3.3 is also a good gun that conceals great
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions - we're checking all the suggestions online and building a range test list.

She already has a .32 mag Ti AirLite S&W revolver and loves it.  7-9 rounds of 9mm > 6 rounds of .32, reloads on an auto are easier to carry and perform, and a think auto fits IWB better than any revolver.

She has two CCW purses - Concealed Carrie and Gun Totin' Mamas.  While purse carrying is better than no carry, its is worse than belt carry in every conceivable measurement.

Given the results on most "training" threads/polls here, she's had more formal training than 75-90% of the site.  All of the above are results of what we've learning in training, range time or daily carry.  This is not me dictating my personal preferences on a new female shooter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought it was a DAO type weapon???  I've never handled one.

ETA:  I just looked at the website and it says striker fired.  Isn't the LCP DAO?  It doesn't really say.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#35]

Yesiree, nice.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#36]
I went with the PPS. About the footprint of a G26, but much thinner. Decent trigger and nice mag size options.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:10:30 PM EDT
[#37]

That is a great gun.  AIM Hi in New Albany Oh, had one in stock 2 weeks ago. So tempting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top