Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2015 7:22:14 AM EDT
I'm looking for a range/home defense gun. I will probably get all three later down the road, which should I buy first? Thanks. "First handgun, I have some ar15's."

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Glock 19 has the simplest manual of arms and has an easily mastered trigger.  With a 15 round capacity and it's medium size the Glock 19 is easily shot by people of about any stature.   These attributes plus reliability and price are the reason Glocks sell so well in the LE and Military markets.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#2]
G19. Reliable, no manual safety, easy to maintain and find parts for, huge selection of aftermarket parts and sights, concealable, lighter than the other two metal pistols, and has a light rail. Get the Glock.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Really no contest AFAIC, G19.  It's the best gun of the three; probably the best compact 9 made, period.
And it can be pressed into service in a variety of ways; nightstand, carry, informal target.

Years ago, I would have recommended a good .22lr such as a 22/45 Ruger for your second handgun (least expensive way to practice and maintain competence), but with what has been happening with ammo, I would no longer make that recommendation.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:59:44 AM EDT
[#4]
OP what do you like.  Does not matter what we like it only matters what works best for you.

Myself I carry a G19.4 but if a CZ worked better for me I would carry that.  You kind of asked this question on a bias site a large amount of us all like the G19 but that should not be the reason you choose it because all of us like it.  Choose the one that you shoot and like most if it is the 19 so be it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 12:38:03 PM EDT
[#5]
92G or the 19.

If you're not gonna carry I'd go with the 92G.

I only own a few Glocks and carry a 19 daily, but in my experience a 92 is a more reliable and easier to shoot gun.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Glock 19 is the perfect handgun.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 2:18:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I voted for the 92.  For range/HD you're good to go.  If you were going to carry then G19.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#8]
So it looks like the 75 and the 92 are dead nuts. Would I be buying the same gun if I bought both? As far as what it can be used for.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 3:00:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I voted for the 92 CZ75.  For range/HD you're good to go.  If you were going to carry then G19.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Glock 19 for a 1st gun.  Might as well buy one now and save you the trouble of waiting to get one later   I don't care for Glocks in general but the G19 is what it is, one of the best all around handgun sizes that's why I have one.  I love CZ's because they feel like they were made for my hand but the decocker placement doesn't work for me.  I think the DA/SA of the 92G and the 75BD will also make it harder to master good trigger control fundamentals for a new shooter.  It all comes down to personal choice, good luck with your decision.  David
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I usually suggest a target grade 22 to master the fundamentals of pistol shooting and then a combat defensive gun in addition. With the any of the above you can get a 22 conversion kit which is ideal for building skill with minimal recoil and cost ( which is getting easier since the 22 ammo shortage is easing up a bit)
If you feel the immediate need for a defensive handgun I would put the 92 and glock in a dead heat with the exception the glock is easier to carry and conceal if that is part of your plan. I prefer a simple single action pistol with a really good trigger in 22. Learning from a platform that makes it as easy as possible to master the fundamentals is the way to go. Some may disagree but no matter what platform you use it all comes down to align sights on target and fire pistol without disturbing sight alignment. Once you do it with a target grade gun then the skills transfer over to the heavier recoil harder trigger pull combat guns.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 3:11:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Double tap at two different times.  How did that happen.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:41:13 PM EDT
[#13]
First gun, I would never suggest a first gun to be a glock, had a friend blow a hole in wifeys dining table a few weeks back, guess what gun?

A new Glock
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
First gun, I would never suggest a first gun to be a glock, had a friend blow a hole in wifeys dining table a few weeks back, guess what gun?

A new Glock
View Quote

My first handgun was a Glock and I have never shot a dinner table. Why did he pull the trigger while pointing it at the table? I take it he wanted to destroy the table?

Of those listed, no question my first choice would be the Glock. CZ would be my second choice. But all three are good guns, so all would get the job done. If you decide to conceal carry, the Glock 19 is easier to carry.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My first handgun was a Glock and I have never shot a dinner table. Why did he pull the trigger while pointing it at the table? I take it he wanted to destroy the table?

Of those listed, no question my first choice would be the Glock. CZ would be my second choice. But all three are good guns, so all would get the job done. If you decide to conceal carry, the Glock 19 is easier to carry.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A new Glock

I did forget to add that he is 56 years old, never owned a pistol. He racked the slide, this chambered a round, dropped the magazine, and pulled the trigger, boom. Have you seen the DEA instructor on youtube shoot himself? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am-Qdx6vky0  

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I did forget to add that he is 56 years old, never owned a pistol. He racked the slide, this chambered a round, dropped the magazine, and pulled the trigger, boom. Have you seen the DEA instructor on youtube shoot himself? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am-Qdx6vky0    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A new Glock

I have. And I understand that he had a knowledge deficit going in to this. If he would have bought a SIG or a CZ DA/SA gun then he would have had the same mishap. He didn't understand how to safely handle a handgun. Accident waiting to happen. That DEA agent was treating his handgun like a prop and a toy instead of a weapon. His arrogance was his downfall. Again, in his case, a SIG, CZ or Beretta would have done the same thing for him.

Software issue and all that.

Eta: Felt the need to add this for the sake of being completely honest. I do think it is potentially easier to have a ND with a Glock because the trigger is relatively light and there is no exposed hammer to feel coming back when holstering. I don't think it should exclude the Glock as a first handgun, though. It just requires proper training and application of that training.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 1:23:41 AM EDT
[#17]
If money is a consideration, the the g19 is a great option. If it's not, I would go for the 92g-sd. They're available now, and probably not again as they're a limited release. I own all three pistols you mention, the 92g sd is my hands down choice if I has to choose one; very accurate, loaded with good features, decocker, and parts and mags are readily available. Very accurate, reliable.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:17:33 AM EDT
[#18]
imo, for a first gun it is better to master a da/sa pistol than one with no decocker or safety.  I started in reverse.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:12:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I agree with that
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A new Glock

That had nothing to do with the gun, and everything to do with your friend's carelessness. Any pistol without a mag safety would have done the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:44:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Glock 19 is the perfect handgun.
View Quote

Too bad no ambi slide lock.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:56:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have. And I understand that he had a knowledge deficit going in to this. If he would have bought a SIG or a CZ DA/SA gun then he would have had the same mishap. He didn't understand how to safely handle a handgun. Accident Negligence waiting to happen. That DEA agent was treating his handgun like a prop and a toy instead of a weapon. His arrogance was his downfall. Again, in his case, a SIG, CZ or Beretta would have done the same thing for him.

Eta: Felt the need to add this for the sake of being completely honest. I do think it is potentially easier to have a ND with a Glock because the trigger is relatively light and there is no exposed hammer to feel coming back when holstering. I don't think it should exclude the Glock as a first handgun, though. It just requires proper training and application of that training.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A new Glock

I have. And I understand that he had a knowledge deficit going in to this. If he would have bought a SIG or a CZ DA/SA gun then he would have had the same mishap. He didn't understand how to safely handle a handgun. Accident Negligence waiting to happen. That DEA agent was treating his handgun like a prop and a toy instead of a weapon. His arrogance was his downfall. Again, in his case, a SIG, CZ or Beretta would have done the same thing for him.

No such thing as an accident only negligence or intentional any scenario I draw up in my mind never leads to a accident only negligence.
Was not Glocks fault was the booger finger on the bang switch and a lack of useable pink squishy stuff between your buddies ears.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No such thing as an accident only negligence or intentional any scenario I draw up in my mind never leads to a accident only negligence.
Was not Glocks fault was the booger finger on the bang switch and a lack of useable pink squishy stuff between your buddies ears.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It kind of bothers me when people say this. I understand that we should make it clear that the reason why the firearm went off is entirely due to the negligence of the shooter, but...

Accidents can be the result of negligence. A negligent discharge would technically be an accident.

an unfortunate event resulting especially from carelessness or ignorance

Although there are also definitions for accident which would absolve the shooter of responsibility, I suppose;
an unexpected happening causing loss or injury which is not due to any fault or misconduct on the part of the person injured but for which legal relief may be sought

But this definition could be applied in the situation in which the firearm mechanically failed, causing it to fire. In which case, the manufacturer could be responsible, if the mechanical failure was not induced by some home gun-smithing, or something of the sort.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#24]
So get whatever I want as long as it's a Glock but not a Glock because I might shoot my dining room table accidentally but not really because you cant rack the slide and pull trigger accidentally? I love the Beretta's looks, the 19's simplicity and the CZ's pedigree, it's going to be tough. I'm going to try all three at the range latter this week and make my decision then. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So get whatever I want as long as it's a Glock but not a Glock because I might shoot my dining room table accidentally but not really because you cant rack the slide and pull trigger accidentally? I love the Beretta's looks, the 19's simplicity and the CZ's pedigree, it's going to be tough. I'm going to try all three at the range latter this week and make my decision then. Thanks guys.
View Quote

That's your best option.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It kind of bothers me when people say this. I understand that we should make it clear that the reason why the firearm went off is entirely due to the negligence of the shooter, but...

Accidents can be the result of negligence. A negligent discharge would technically be an accident.

Although there are also definitions for accident which would absolve the shooter of responsibility, I suppose;

But this definition could be applied in the situation in which the firearm mechanically failed, causing it to fire. In which case, the manufacturer could be responsible, if the mechanical failure was not induced by some home gun-smithing, or something of the sort.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

an unfortunate event resulting especially from carelessness or ignorance

an unexpected happening causing loss or injury which is not due to any fault or misconduct on the part of the person injured but for which legal relief may be sought

That is the thing they are not accidents.  Accidents imply no fault of anyone that an action took place.  Guns to do accidentally EVER go off they require an action to set them off ..... trigger is pulled and poorly or neglected maintenance.  I have seen lots of negilgent discharges in my life but NEVER seen an accident.  Every time it happened something was done to cause the ND.

Accident - an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury: an event that happens by chance or that is without apparent or deliberate cause:

Nope Accidents and Negligence are not the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:24:49 PM EDT
[#27]
beretta or glock. both are excellent, but its hard to compare a 92 to a 19. I personally would recommend the glock 17.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:28:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That is the thing they are not accidents.  Accidents imply no fault of anyone that an action took place.  Guns to do accidentally EVER go off they require an action to set them off ..... trigger is pulled and poorly or neglected maintenance.  I have seen lots of negilgent discharges in my life but NEVER seen an accident.  Every time it happened something was done to cause the ND.

Accident - an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury: an event that happens by chance or that is without apparent or deliberate cause:

Nope Accidents and Negligence are not the same thing.
View Quote

That's why I provided multiple definitions. Even within your second definition, negligible discharge could fit. It says without "deliberate cause." If someone has a negligent discharge, it was due to negligence, meaning they were neglectful and did not deliberately commit the action.

The first definition on webster's; "a sudden event (such as a crash) that is not planned or intended and that causes damage or injury" fits as well. A negligent discharge is obviously due to the negligence of the shooter, but as it is negligent, it is not planned or intended.

Sort of in the way that the vast majority of car accidents are due to negligence, so are negligent discharges. They both fit the definition of accident, though.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Glock 19
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:22:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A new Glock

Pistols generally do go boom when you pull the trigger.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Go someplacw and try/handle each one of the models you are interested in. One of them will just 'feel' right...that is the one you might want to get. I know there are a gazillion Glock fan boys out there and while I agree there are a good weapon, not everyone likes  them. For some people they just do not fit the hand as well as something else. If you are open to anything else, try the HK V9, the S&W MP, or any of the other makes out there. Most manufactures have perfected their offerings to the point of being extremely reliable.

I own at least one of each model you are looking at and my personal favorite of those listed is the CZ75. For me, it is a perfectly fitting handgun.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:31:23 PM EDT
[#32]
1. Glock 19

2. CZ 75 or any CZ.

3. 1911.

Learn the four gun safety rule. Make sure it is engraved into your mind. You know when you master the safety rules when you do it without thinking.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:45:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A new Glock

I never understand people thinking. Unless it defective the only way a gun goes boom is you pull the trigger. It is not Glock fault when the owner of the gun do not know the four safety rules.

I cringe every time I hear a police officer giving a gun safety lesson in a class room. They are at the very bottom of people that I want to learn gun safety.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:52:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Glock 19
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:05:44 AM EDT
[#35]
The CZ is one of the finest pistols produced, and I'd say plan on buying one down the road.

But for a first all-around do almost anything pistol the G19 cannot be beat. Mags are plentiful and cheap (with options of 15, 17, and 33 rounds), holsters, sights, etc. are widely available, and it is literally about the perfect size to do everything well, good capacity etc. It's small enough to where it carries well but large enough to be comfortable, natural, and accurate to shoot for range and home defense use.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
1. Glock 19
2. CZ 75 or any CZ.
3. 1911.

Learn the four gun safety rule. Make sure it is engraved into your mind. You know when you master the safety rules when you do it without thinking.

View Quote

You know its bad when you are picking up your kids' toys and you instinctively keep your finger along the "frame" of the nerf guns and keep it pointed in a safe direction...
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:24:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Go to a rental range and try the three out.
Buy the one that fits YOUR hand best since it will be YOUR handgun. Not someone else. I am 6'5", wear 15E shoes, and wear XXXL gloves. So obviously what is too small for Shrek\Sasquatch sized peeps like me is just right for normal sized people.
With an empty gun, do the close the eyes, pick up and point at a target, open eyes to see how close you're on to the target test.

With that said, I got my mother, my daughter, my sister, and all three of her girls a Glock 19. I have a Glock 19. <<==  "THAT IS ALSO KNOWN AS A CLUE!!"
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Go to a rental range and try the three out.
Buy the one that fits YOUR hand best since it will be YOUR handgun. Not someone else. I am 6'5", wear 15E shoes, and wear XXXL gloves. So obviously what is too small for Shrek\Sasquatch sized peeps like me is just right for normal sized people.
With an empty gun, do the close the eyes, pick up and point at a target, open eyes to see how close you're on to the target test.

With that said, I got my mother, my daughter, my sister, and all three of her girls a Glock 19. I have a Glock 19. <<==  "THAT IS ALSO KNOWN AS A CLUE!!"
View Quote

You didn't get me one and it fits my had perfectly, hint, hint

I agree.  OP, you have three great pistols listed.  None of the three is a wrong choice in and of itself.  At this point it comes down to what fits you and what you like/want.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top