Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2015 7:46:05 PM EDT
I bemoaned Glock for years for not releasing a single stack 9mm pistol that is very concealable and can even fit in some pockets. Then, before Glock responded to those wanting another CCW choice, I decided to purchase a Kahr CW9, and I'm glad I did (and I'm a Glock fanboy). The CW9, at least the one I have, is reliable and accurate. Here's the dimensional comparison.

Kahr CW9
Caliber: 9mm
Capacity: 7+1
Operation: Trigger cocking DAO; lock breech; "Browning - type" recoil lug; passive striker block; no magazine disconnect
Barrel: 3.565", conventional rifling; 1-10 right-hand twist
Length O/A: 5.9"
Height: 4.5"
Slide Width: .90"
Weight: Pistol 15.8 ounces, Magazine 1.9 ounces
Grips: Textured polymer
Sights: Drift adjustable white bar-dot combat rear sight, pinned in polymer front sight
Finish: Black polymer frame, matte stainless steel slide

Glock 43
Caliber: 9mm
Capacity: 6+1
Operation: Safe Action Striker Fired-5.5lb
Barrel Length: 3.39"
Length O/A: 6.26in
Height: 4.25"
Slide Width: 1.02"
Weight: 17.95 ounces
Grips:
Sights: Bar dot?
Finish: Polymer frame/Tenifer coated steel slide

Glock ships with 2 mags and Kahr CW9 ships with one, advantage Glock.

MSRP: CW9 - $449 but can be purchased between $300-$350; Glock 43 - $589; advantage Kahr. (Add about $35 to the cost of the Kahr for an additional magazine.)

Overall, the Kahr barrel is a little longer than the Glock but the overall slide length is a little shorter; advantage Kahr.

Slide width: Slight advantage to Kahr.

Weight: Slight advantage to Kahr.

So it depends on which you prefer, a longer but smooth trigger pull of the Kahr, or the 5.5lb (in reality more like 7.5 lb) trigger pull of the striker fired Glock. Advantage: personal

Modularity: Advantage Glock

So without having fired, or even seen the Glock 43 in person, (after all, a Glock's a Glock) there's the comparison of the two pistols.

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:32:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Um ok..........thanks?
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#2]
You forgot to mention that the Kahr design has about 4-5 times more rail to slide travel contact than ANY/ALL Glocks.

Advantage: Kahr.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Great write up.  I am surprised Glock came to the party this late with a single stack.

I have several compact 9's.  The CM9, LC9 and Shield are all great guns.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:14:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great write up.  I am surprised Glock came to the party this late with a single stack.

View Quote

Glock is years late to the party. They should have introduced this single stack 9mm design during Bill Clinton's Crime Bill era in the 90s.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:38:23 PM EDT
[#5]
After it was officially announced that the G42 was a .380, I bought a Kahr PM9.  Didn't want to wait any longer for something that may or may not happen.  It did of course, but I'm happy with the Kahr.  Did have to get used to the trigger but it works just fine.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:36:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Glock is years late to the party. They should have introduced this single stack 9mm design during Bill Clinton's Crime Bill era in the 90s.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the cm9.  Smaller than the g43.  If I want small: cm9.  I'll take the cw9 to get a full grip over the g43.  And, the g19 when I can over any.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 2:14:40 AM EDT
[#7]
fired them both
Glock 42 for me
the kahr trigger sucks
We picked up a G42 for 375 after taxed (Mil/Leo discount)
mags for glocks are cheaper

Glock is cheaper if not the same price and has a better trigger
comes with 2 mags

Would go with Sig 238 or G42
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 2:16:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Its late    saw it was 9mm not 380
but I still would take the G34
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:59:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I believe your slide width and weight are wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I believe your slide width and weight are wrong.

The height and weight, like all information I posted, are from the manufacturer's websites.

Quoted:$580 will eventually go lower if the blue label price is $358.

Probably so, but also most likely the Glock retail purchase price will still be around $100 or more than the Kahr.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#11]
i personally like the CW9 i had over the G43 i fingered this past weekend.

sold it and dedicated to the G19.

YMMV
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:36:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a CM 40 I carry on a regular basis but a Kahr is simply not as good as a Glock.    Kahr isn't as durable and you will have problems with the Kahr.   Usually you can work though them but if you want something that works strait out of the box than the Glock is what you want.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#13]
$589?

I paid $358 plus tax and background. Total was under $390.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:25:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I owned a CM9 and sold it to go back to the Shield. I need a fighting trigger with a quick reset on my carry gun, and the Kahr just didn't cut it. Stock Shield trigger is good, but I put Apex in mine. Now, it's as good as anything you can get on the market.

My CM9 was a good pistol. No hiccups, accurate, and about as small a 9mm as you could carry.

I will buy a G43. It fills a niche, but it won't replace my Shield.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:45:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm going to add a G43, but I'll be patient this time.  Maybe by the end of summer or even Christmas.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I would choose a Glock every time over a Kahr, first reason is better trigger.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:40:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a PM9 with a trigger smooth as silk.
I did some work to it. It's smaller than the 43 but still manageable so far as recoil and accuracy.
But it still has that long trigger pull and long reset.

I'll get a 43. Have one on order.
I've carried Glocks for several years now and do trust my life to them.

Dave N
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:21:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:27:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I've got a CM9 and am perfectly happy with it.

To me, the Glock is over priced.
Should have been priced like the 42, but I'm sure they will sell a ton of them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
$589?

http://i.imgur.com/xtBNyVg.jpg

View Quote

That's a damn good price. Was this locally?

Quick search of usual online sources shows $500+ with shipping. Hopefully it'll come down a bit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:52:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
$589?

http://i.imgur.com/xtBNyVg.jpg

View Quote

I'm guessing that's LEO pricing...

Pens? Seriously?

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Has to be Blue Label.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:48:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Has to be Blue Label.
View Quote
It is... regular price is $458.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:35:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have a CM 40 I carry on a regular basis but a Kahr is simply not as good as a Glock.    Kahr isn't as durable and you will have problems with the Kahr.   Usually you can work though them but if you want something that works strait out of the box than the Glock is what you want.
View Quote

I respectfully disagree , I have owned 9 Kahr's and have a tenth on the way, had one issue out of the 9 when my CM9 cracked a follower which kahr replaced for free, out of the 9, they all ran fine out of the box. I think the guys that get lemon Kahr's are just unlucky
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 12:26:53 AM EDT
[#25]
I've owned 3 Kahrs (P9, PM9, CW9).  I LOVE the OEM sights (for some reason I'm really accurate with them).  Only the PM9 had issues (trigger failed to reset--but this was in the first year of production); other than that, with all the polishing I did and other fluff-and-buff stuff, mine were 100% from day one, and I could load the first round by hand with all of mine (though most have to use the slide-release, and many need a 200rd break-in just to get to 100%).    

That said, I didn't like the LOOOONG trigger pull, but I could shoot well with it.  
However, I hated the LOOOOOOONG reset so much--I would actually short stroke it!  
I sold my last one (a beautiful cerakoted CW9 with all upgraded parts) to get the Shield (which I liked and then loved with Apex upgrades and trigger), but I sold it to get the G42 (that I liked with a +1 follower), and then I sold it to get the G43.    

As much as I love my G43 (and it's immediate predecessors, the G42 and a Shield), I think with a +2 grip extension it'll be my favorite daytime carry gun (my G19 rules the night).
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:00:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've owned 3 Kahrs (P9, PM9, CW9).  I LOVE the OEM sights (for some reason I'm really accurate with them).  Only the PM9 had issues (trigger failed to reset--but this was in the first year of production); other than that, with all the polishing I did and other fluff-and-buff stuff, mine were 100% from day one, and I could load the first round by hand with all of mine (though most have to use the slide-release, and many need a 200rd break-in just to get to 100%).    

That said, I didn't like the LOOOONG trigger pull, but I could shoot well with it.  
However, I hated the LOOOOOOONG reset so much--I would actually short stroke it!  
I sold my last one (a beautiful cerakoted CW9 with all upgraded parts) to get the Shield (which I liked and then loved with Apex upgrades and trigger), but I sold it to get the G42 (that I liked with a +1 follower), and then I sold it to get the G43.    

As much as I love my G43 (and it's immediate predecessors, the G42 and a Shield), I think with a +2 grip extension it'll be my favorite daytime carry gun (my G19 rules the night).
View Quote

So you want a cerakoted G43 with a +2 extension, Apex trigger kit and Kahr sights. Got it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a G17, G19 and a CW9.  Probably end up getting a G43 just to standardize on controls and triggers.

Going from Glocks to that looooooong trigger pull is tough for me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Comparison video between G42, G43, Shield, and CW9

VIDEO
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:10:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So you want a cerakoted G43 with a +2 extension, Apex trigger kit and Kahr sights. Got it.
View Quote

YES! I will cerakote my  G43 next week, I'll put in +1 and +2 extensions today.  But the work I've done on the trigger already has it feeling better than the APEX, and I'd LOVE to get some OEM Kahr sights to fit (though I'd prefer the front be red fiber-optic)...that said, these Trijicon HDs look like they might do well.  I'll see later today.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:12:01 AM EDT
[#30]
g43 slide width is .87".
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:11:17 AM EDT
[#31]
I actually like the trigger on my CM9....I am able to shoot that thing really accurately.

I have been on the fence about getting a Shield, g26 (or maybe an m&p9c) or maybe the G43. I have some trigger time on the shields and I really don't like the way it feels. It just feeds to thin and top heavy. I traded my g26 off years ago to get a full size gun for games and have regretted it ever since. It may be time to get another gen 3 26 and some GAP floor plates.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a PM9 Black Diamond finish with night sights and it has been a very reliable pistol after the required break-in period. I also own a G26 and a G19 both Gen 3 and am considering selling the PM9 for the G43. The little bit longer slide does not matter on the G43 and since it is a Glock my muscle memory should be better. Plus the PM9's trigger is not to me as nice as a Glock. People keep calling the PM9 a 7+1 and the G43 a 6+1. But my experience has not been good with the 7 round Kahr mags. I sent mine back in and the factory replaced it with a 6 rounder.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:48:07 AM EDT
[#33]
I love all three of my Kahrs. CW45, CM9, and CW380. Would choose any of them over the Glock. Of Course this is totally opinionated. They just fit in my hand better and I prefer the triggers on them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Comparison video between G42, G43, Shield, and CW9

VIDEO
View Quote

It was a comparison of the G42, G43, and Shield. All he mentioned about the CW9 was the size compared with the G42. He didn't shoot it or even pull the trigger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top