Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2015 8:16:44 PM EDT
I don't have either, but have handled alot of SW Shields.
Wondering how many folks will dump shields for the 43? Shield looks a little bigger, with an extra couple rounds.

Maybe a good time to find some used shields?
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't plan on ditching my Shield, but honestly I'd expect to see a lot of people clearing them out the first month or two the Glock is on the market. Then they'll stabilize.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#2]
My Shield isn`t going anywhere. I like it so much I bought the M&P45 (and sold a G21 to do it)
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I am hoping that they do!
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll keep my M&P's thank you very much

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#5]
After seeing the specs on the 43, I'm keeping my Shield, and PF9. Bought both of them because Glock was so far behind a single stack 9mm.

What I am excited for is people dumping their G42's for the 43, and I can get one of those cheap.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#6]
The Shield is on my short list. Waiting on a nice used one to pop up locally for a good price and I'll grab it. Wouldn't mind the Glock but not worth the price
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 11:31:28 PM EDT
[#7]
The Shield has a damn good reputation for the couple of years that it has been available.  The Glock 43 is a new design that is really only appealing to the fanboys at this point.  If I had to buy a single-stack 9mm, it would be a Shield, hands down.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:16:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm on the list for a G43, but I would be tempted to pick up another Shield at rock bottom pricing if that's what happens. I might even grab a G42. I have this idea that the G42 would be great for the wife to practice on and qualify for her concealed handgun license with. It would also be great to use it to work her up to the G43. I love my Shield and it isn't going anywhere. I am vested in it as my carry piece with Raven Concealment and JM Custom holsters and mag carriers for it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I love my G19, but am extremely disappointed with the G43 specs and mag capacity. I'll be getting a shield for my primary carry.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Not me, I really like my Shield- I wish the grip were slightly fatter but a set of the Talon stick-ons helped.  I don't see the Glock being any more reliable and certainly not any more ergonomic.  This coming from someone who owns several Glocks but the Shield is currently my only S&W automatic.

Edited- spelling
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Sheild is a badass lil gun

Im annoyed that glock was so late to the party, its like they showed up the next day

Unimpressed it only holds 6 rds  and seems overpriced

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sheild is a badass lil gun

Im annoyed that glock was so late to the party, its like they showed up the next day

Unimpressed it only holds 6 rds  and seems overpriced

View Quote

This - and my Shields are badass guns
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 3:17:03 PM EDT
[#13]
No matter what you hear the G43 is going to sell like crazy and Shields will be up for sale.

My guess is people will wait roughly a year for better availability and price stabilization on the G43 then sell their shields.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I already sold mine and went back to a 26.

Shield just was not s good shooter IMO, i ran it through several IDPA matches to come to that conclusion.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Shield has a damn good reputation for the couple of years that it has been available.  The Glock 43 is a new design that is really only appealing to the fanboys at this point.  If I had to buy a single-stack 9mm, it would be a Shield, hands down.
View Quote

Yep. Only M&P I have is the Shield. I don't plan on getting rid of it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#16]
That would be nice...cheap Shields
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I fingered the G43 at the NRA convention this weekend...

I was underwhelmed.

I won't be trading my Shield for one that's for damned sure. In fact I bought a new AIWB holster for it from Bladetech for $25. Gotta love the "show specials."
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:11:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Keeping my PF9
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:03:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Keeping my PF9
View Quote

And my Shield.

PF9 is actually small enough to be a pocket gun, Shield is a belt gun for me, and slim enough it's replaced my Glocks for carry at work.

ETA: Just realized I posted twice in this thread. Must have gotten drunker than I thought yesterday. Funerals do that to me though.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 2:29:22 AM EDT
[#20]
I just dropped an Apex kit into my Shield. Keeping it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I might snag a used shield to keep for a rainy day I am staying with my PPS until one day I find a used G43 and Glock makes mag extensions.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#22]
To those saying it was silly for Glock to go with 6+1, keep in mind that many, many shooters believed that the Shield's grip was too long when it first came onto the scene.

I don't own Glocks.  Have only shot one Glock in my life and don't remember much about it really.

I own a few M&P's.  One of them being a Shield with Trijicon night sights and APEC DCAEK in it.

My Shield isn't going anywhere.  That thing is a great little shooter and I don't carry on the hip.  Ever.

So the shorter grip length of the Glock may be just what the 'Hippies' want.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Many want what's shiny and new.  So, yes, at first there will be churn.  It will settle once those impulse buyers wane.  The Glock may well be the better gun.  Though both are too large IMO when an option like the Kahr exists.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#24]
My well-used but reliable P-11, Shield, and G19 with a grip reduction have my 9mm carry needs covered. So, no 43 on my radar, but a G40 MOS is.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 2:56:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Wonder how much a used Shield will go for?
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The Shield is on my short list. Waiting on a nice used one to pop up locally for a good price and I'll grab it. Wouldn't mind the Glock but not worth the price
View Quote

Quantico tactical has them for $324 right now. I did some research and that's the best deal going on new ones right now. I just came home with mine about 10 minutes ago.

If the Glock 42's start hitting the market for decent prices I will pick one up, but the 43 just doesn't do anything for me when the shield seems to be a better all around choice for less money. YMMV
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Too late, Glock.

Shield FTW.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:53:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I held the 43 on Saturday. Not very impressed and I'm a HUGE Glock fan. It's felt strange to me, kind of awkward. Not sure why since I like the 42.

I don't care for M&P triggers and sold all but the Shield. I really like my Shield and have no intension of selling it. I may eventually buy the Glock, but the Shield isn't up for sale.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:56:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I paid full retail for a Shield just last week, installed a full Apex trigger kit for it, and Ameriglo night sights. It is my #1 for carry. This is the third and final time I have owned this gun. I keep coming back to it for a reason. It is the best single stack sub-compact I have shot.

I would love to pick up another Shield on the cheap, and I'm on the waiting list for the G43.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:59:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Many want what's shiny and new.  So, yes, at first there will be churn.  It will settle once those impulse buyers wane.  The Glock may well be the better gun.  Though both are too large IMO when an option like the Kahr exists.
View Quote

The trade off with the Kahr is that it is snappy with +P ammo. You really feel it in a pistol that size. Mags don't always drop free either or are slow to drop free like a Glock. I love the way my Shield mag comes flying out when I need to do a reload - very positive ejection.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 1:58:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I paid full retail for a Shield just last week, installed a full Apex trigger kit for it, and Ameriglo night sights. It is my #1 for carry. This is the third and final time I have owned this gun. I keep coming back to it for a reason. It is the best single stack sub-compact I have shot.

I would love to pick up another Shield on the cheap, and I'm on the waiting list for the G43.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With the dollars I've dropped on the Shield (Apex trigger, Trijicon HDs, Talon grips, holsters), I'm going to make it work no matter what
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:57:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quantico tactical has them for $324 right now. I did some research and that's the best deal going on new ones right now. I just came home with mine about 10 minutes ago.

If the Glock 42's start hitting the market for decent prices I will pick one up, but the 43 just doesn't do anything for me when the shield seems to be a better all around choice for less money. YMMV
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The price is not for civvies. Pretty sure that's the LEO pricing.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:34:53 AM EDT
[#33]
My first thought was "Oh hell to the no!"
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:12:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Shield's have proven themselves and already saturated the market....they aren't going anywhere.

Sure, there are plenty of Glock koolaid drinkers that held there nose to buy the Shield because Gaston wouldn't come thru for their pocket piece, and they may sell.....but most guys that use "critical thinking" in their day to day lives will keep lovin' on their Shield's.
Many, like me, will eventually pick up a 43, because that's "what we do"....gotta try new toys out....but I'm not selling anything to get it! AND...I'll wait to make sure there are no bugs that need exterminated.

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Apex DCAEK plus shield AEK vs........any trigger ever made for any glock, let alone a tiny one with different parts?

I'll be keeping my shield.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:54:00 PM EDT
[#36]
My Shield isn't going anywhere, that's for sure. However.com I do hope someone I shoot with picks up a 43 so I can see how it does at the range.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:28:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I held the 43 on Saturday. Not very impressed and I'm a HUGE Glock fan. It's felt strange to me, kind of awkward. Not sure why since I like the 42.

I don't care for M&P triggers and sold all but the Shield. I really like my Shield and have no intension of selling it. I may eventually buy the Glock, but the Shield isn't up for sale.
View Quote

This was kind of my experience too, my LGS got a few in and had them at a decent price ($469). I wanted to like it, but it just felt a little wonky in hand. Granted I did not shoot it, but it just didn't quite jive. I passed on it for now at least. I've been considering a SS 9mm as a go between my G19, P2000SK, and LCP and was waiting for Glock's version to be released, but for $100 more than the Shield or LC9S I'm not sure the Glock does anything better to justify the price difference. I might wait for them to drop in price to around $400 or less and fo.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:09:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Like other have said, the Shield is a damn good gun and the 43 sure isn't going to make the Shield disappear. No gun is for everybody and there is plenty of room for both on the market (Just like the M&P9 and 9c do very well against the G17/19/26).

I'm one of those guys long time Glock guys who got sick of waiting for Glock to make a SS 9mm and bought the Shield but I'm not one of those guys who will automatically love a gun because its made buy Brand X or automatically poo-poo a gun because I held it at the LGS and didn't immediately fall in love with it. I find the only way to know if a gun is right for me is to shoot a few hundred rounds through it.

So that said, yes, I will buy a 43 when they become available for a decent price. The main draw for me is that the feel and manual of arms should match my other defensive pistols (G17/19 & G21SF) but I will compare and shoot the 43 right next to the Shield with an open mind and stick with the one I like/shoot better. If the Shield wins, the 43 will be sold. If the 43 wins, I'll give the Shield to my son. He already has a M&P9 (which he prefers over the Glock) and he just turned 21 so he could use a CCW piece.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#39]
My shield will stay on my hip. It is just too good of a carry gun for me to move over to a 43.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Too late, Glock.

Shield FTW.
View Quote

This... Love my Shield
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:50:47 PM EDT
[#41]
I tried to like the Shield. Just wasn't impressed.
I will get a G43.

Dave N
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top