Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2015 10:22:29 AM EDT
Local dealer has new Shields in either 9mm or 40, with or without the thumb safety, for $324 plus tax.

I'm tempted, but my question is, is there a better option for a compact concealed carry piece in the same price range out there?

I'm a 9MM guy, ( I stand when I pee thank you very much) But I'm not a brand snob.

My google fu isn't turning up anything better that catches my eye, what do you think?
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I think they are a good gun, and that is a good price.  They are comfortable to carry and seem to shoot like a bigger gun than they are.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#2]
That's $25 cheaper than what I bought mine for recently. I went 9mm for the extra round of capacity. I really like the Shield, but am considering some Apex parts to tune the action a bit.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#3]
The LC9 is a good pistol.  The Shield and LC9 are the main choices for autos in my mind until the Glock proves itself.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd say $325 is a good price for a new Shield. Most prices will be $330-$350 I'd say. Unless you're at Gander Mountain, which I just heard on the radio having them on sale for $399
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#5]
$379-399 is the going rate in my AO.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Besides the LC9 and the Shield. Is there anything out there that YOU would consider a better gun in the same price range?

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Besides the LC9 and the Shield. Is there anything out there that YOU would consider a better gun in the same price range?

View Quote

No.  $324 is a very good price.  I can argue the Kahr CM9 is a better deep concealment or pocket gun although with a very different trigger and reset, but it's not a better handgun.  The Shield is a good shooter and LC9 I recently tried at the LGS had a nice trigger.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I have seen them for $299 at PSA before, but at the moment they are not on sale.  That's not a bad price, and I want one as well.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 3:05:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had an LC9. Used for CCW.

It was small, reliable, loved to carry, absolutely hated to shoot it. So I sold it on consignment and carry the Defender.
Still looking for a subcompact single stack nine, will probably try the Shield.

The LC9 had one of the worst triggers I have ever seen, even worse than the Kel-Tec P11 it replaced.

If you are thinking about the LC9, shoot one before you buy it. For me the trigger made it hard to be accurate.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 3:10:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No.  $324 is a very good price.  I can argue the Kahr CM9 is a better deep concealment or pocket gun although with a very different trigger and reset, but it's not a better handgun.  The Shield is a good shooter and LC9 I recently tried at the LGS had a nice trigger.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tried the Kahr CM40. A pleasure to carry, trigger was nice, but wouldn't feed flatnose FMJ and some JHP, even after I sent it back to Kahr.
Probably feed ramp angle issue or some such, but I sold it since I don't like pistols that are finicky about ammo.

Maybe the CM9 is better.

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 3:27:22 PM EDT
[#11]
This is what i keep telling the asshats on facebook gun classifieds selling their used shields for $450.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 3:58:07 PM EDT
[#12]
The 40 on my hip in the IWB Squared Away Customs Spartan I paid $313 for. Holster extra but well worth the wait and the cash.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:04:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I tried the Kahr CM40. A pleasure to carry, trigger was nice, but wouldn't feed flatnose FMJ and some JHP, even after I sent it back to Kahr.
Probably feed ramp angle issue or some such, but I sold it since I don't like pistols that are finicky about ammo.

Maybe the CM9 is better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe the CM9 is better.

The Kahr family is also on my short list. I just love the way they look and the simplicity of them. THeir little pocket .380 is well reviewed and absolutely tiny. Cheap too.

Well, I think you bastards have talked me into getting the shield. Damnit, I  should have known better than to ask arfcom. Surprised nobody said "get both". You guys are slipping.

Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 3:41:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Good enough price unless the shipping rapes ya.

As an owner of both 9mm and 40SW Shields I got before they released the new versions, I'd say get the version without the manual safety.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#15]
That's a good price and I absolutely love my Shield 9mm.  It's my EDC.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do not get the regular LC9, get the LC9s, the striker fired model.  The trigger in the LC9 is awful, the striker model makes it feel like a completely different gun.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 5:02:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Great price.  No better option at that pricepoint.  I've tried many.  FO.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Buy the Shield 9mm.  Accurate reliable and easy to shoot.  Mine had one or two failures to eject in first 200.  Since then it has run 1100 rounds of any and everything perfectly.  The 8 round mag is easier to shoot, but the 7 round one hides easier.  Unqualified recommendation.  There is nothing wrong with the gun.

Manageable recoil and good accuracy with Hornady Critical Defense 115.

Note:  The Shield is the ONLY one of a long line of small autos I tried that actually worked reliably.  Failures:
-Walther PP .380
-Keltec PF9
-Kahr CW9
-S&W BodyGuard .380

If you wish to get picky, I had four(4) BodyGuard .38s.  All would unlock the rachet with +P .38s.  Then the next pull engaged the rachet and the second pull fired the next round.  9 pulls for 5 shots.  Its hard to believe the same company that can make the Shield makes the BodyGuard junk.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like a good price. I'd get one. They carry great, and shoot even better.

Just got back from my grandpa's funeral, and carried mine AIWB with a J-clip attachment. Now it's back to an OWB kydex holster.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:19:24 AM EDT
[#20]
That's a great price. Paid $389 here plus tax. Everything online, while a little cheaper, comes to about the same once you add in shipping and FFL fees.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I recently bought one of the newer Ruger LC9s and the trigger is way better than the original model. Larger surface area,(similar to the Glock trigger),  very crisp and clean. I had a Shield but could not get used to the safety, as it was very small and I just happen to be one of the few, I guess, that likes a safety. The Ruger safety,  for me, was more accessible  and was the driving factor for getting one.

For $324.00 though, I would not mind having another Shield.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I paid about $30 more for my no manual safety model, so i'd say that's a good price.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Shield is my EDC and that is a great price.  I have large hands but can manage to shoot it well enough to save my life. I am a skinny white guy so I can't conceal much more than that.  I looked around a lot but couldn't find a better carry option.  There are some great holsters out there too.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Just came home with my new shield. THey only had the model with the manual safety, and I'm kind of a fan of having a safety so it's no big deal. Picked up a cheap Galco tuck&go holster that also fits my bersa thunder.

With tax and the holster it came to $384 out the door.

SO far I like the feel of it. The slide release is stiff as hell though, is that normal?

The trigger is this thing is much better than I thought it would be. Very crisp.

I will eventually invest in a better holster but for now the galco will work. I guess I'm a S&W fan boy now.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 12:32:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Congrats.  The new guns are supposed to have an improved trigger but you can modify the existing one or install an Apex if you want to spend the money.  Mine has pretty much replaced my Lightweight Commander as my carry gun and I never thought that would happen.  I have a Pearce grip extension on my carry magazine but carry the eight rounder as a spare.  I also installed a Talon stick on grip.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 12:42:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same price, no. Shield should be good. If it has some FTE's in the beginning just push on through. I hear the spring loosens up.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 1:52:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
SO far I like the feel of it. The slide release is stiff as hell though, is that normal?
View Quote

Normal but it gets easier a bit. I just stroke the slide with the weak hand--one "system" to release the slides for all my handguns.  I replaced the sights with Trijicon HDs (yellow front), not liking the OEM sights and having HDs on everything else. The sights are difficult. Get a competent gunsmith with the right tool to replace them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 3:42:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just came home with my new shield. THey only had the model with the manual safety, and I'm kind of a fan of having a safety so it's no big deal. Picked up a cheap Galco tuck&go holster that also fits my bersa thunder.

With tax and the holster it came to $384 out the door.

The trigger is this thing is much better than I thought it would be. Very crisp.

I will eventually invest in a better holster but for now the galco will work. I guess I'm a S&W fan boy now.
View Quote

Yes the slide release is really not meant to be pressed to bring the slide into battery. You're supposed to slingshot it.

You can smooth it out a little with fine grit sandpaper and flitz or just lock slide back and press it down with two thumbs over and over again. I did this on mine just to have the option, never know if you'll need to work the gun one-handed.

I highly recommend an Apex sear. I bought one and polished it up along with the firing pin and firing pin safety. Very nice 3.5# trigger, almost as nice as on my tuned 1911.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 3:53:36 AM EDT
[#29]
It's not really $324. You have to factor in the cost of the Apex parts to upgrade it to make it not feel like a piece of shit when you shoot it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:00:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It's not really $324. You have to factor in the cost of the Apex parts to upgrade it to make it not feel like a piece of shit when you shoot it.
View Quote

Apparently S&W has improved the triggers. The triggers on two recently manufactured Shield's I've shot were just fine.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:06:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Apparently S&W has improved the triggers. The triggers on two recently manufactured Shield's I've shot were just fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, the trigger on the one I just bought actually feels very crisp. It's not a finely tuned competition trigger, but it feels really good for a compact polymer gun.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lots of pieces of shit out there considering all the customization available in the marketplace. Name just about any gun and you can probably triple the original purchase price with upgrades, refinishes and gunsmithing.

Know of a gunsmith that can make a RMR cut for my NIB-coated Jimenez .25acp?
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#33]
$25 less than i paid so $50 cheaper ultimately out the door, if thats what you want then go pick it up op
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top