Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2015 8:54:01 PM EDT
FINALLY got my CCW...
I'm not one that carries all of the time, but since I bought a motorcycle I felt it was a must I finally join the carry club.
I bought a North American Arms .22 mag thinking that would be good enough, but after thinking long and hard about it, I would much rather have a 9mm.  I am still considering the Kahr CM9, but that P938 is damn sexy and feels great...it's just "expensive."  I know you should be able to depend on your carry gun no matter what, which the Sig would definitely fit the bill across the board...I was just hesitant to get into a $600 gun for something that I would only carry on the bike.  I know, I know...you get what you pay for and I am certainly one who buys once and cries once with material items.
Anyone have anything negative to say about it?  Anything else out there comparable in size and quality for around the same money?

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Why talk you out of buying a great gun ?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:05:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I am thinking about doing the same thing or maybe getting the 938. Sig still makes good weapons and although they cost more, sometimes more is worth it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:50:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Won't try to talk you out of it. I love my 938.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:54:43 PM EDT
[#4]
You shouldn't buy it. And you definitely shouldn't buy those damn sexy G10 grips for it. Is that what you wanted to hear?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:01:43 AM EDT
[#5]
its not exactly thin or light, but some people carry bricks so whatever
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:32:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's my attempt:

It's too small for my hands. It's like a noisy cricket "I feel like I'm gonna break this thing" (not that it's fragile...just tiny). It's a small single stack, and I have no use for such limited capacity. I never liked a manual safety on a pistol (although I've gotten over this as I've gotten into 3-gun and used to flipping the safety/selector on my carbine).

Okay it was a pretty weak effort. Seriously, I don't have use for a single stack except as a BUG, but I get that some it works for a lot of people. And I hate pistols I can't grip with all my fingers. But who cares what I like?  If it fits the bill for you, I'm sure you'll be happy.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:23:13 AM EDT
[#7]
OP why would you only carry it on your bike?  If you like it and shoot it well why not carry it all the time.

The P938 is a good pistol kind of heavy for the size but still going to be a good pistol.

Is the Kahr and Sig the only small 9mm pistols you have looked at, liked or have access to try?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:02:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

OP why would you only carry it on your bike?  If you like it and shoot it well why not carry it all the time.

The P938 is a good pistol kind of heavy for the size but still going to be a good pistol.

Is the Kahr and Sig the only small 9mm pistols you have looked at, liked or have access to try?
View Quote

True.  I have been thinking the same thing...may as well carry it all the time...

Yes, the Kahr and Sig are the only ones that I have really had access to, and actually touched.  I really don't mind the weight of the Sig.  It's not too heavy, but definitely a difference between the two.

I was also looking at the Ruger LC9, but haven't fingered one of those yet...

I'm really looking for the smallest, yet best quality/reliability for the money 9mm...

And I won't buy the Glock 43...

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Dear Chaos,

To avoid chaos and spending money you might not be happy with having spent, look at, handle, and shoot two other small semi auto pistols, both in 9mm:

S&W Shield 9mm (Standard with short flush 7 round magazine and 8 round extended magazine both of which are very ergonomic)

Ruger LC9s or LC9s Pro  (Standard short 7 round magazines.  The longer one is silly.)

The Shield trigger is 6# and butter smooth if lubed.  Maybe 6.5#, but smooth.  The LC9s Pro is 4.5# and feels like a SA auto well tuned.  The Rugers come with or without a safety.

Either is vastly more ergonomic, easy to shoot well than the block SIG, and both are proven in long use.  Comparatively, the SIG will feel like a clunk.  Both have 1# level customer service, IF, you should need it.

On our dumbest days, no one should buy a Glock 43 until they have sold them for a year or two, 300,000 units, and unratted them.  They still don't have the M42 working more than 3 guns out of 4.  Let someone else be the Beta Testers.  Besides, feature for feature, the S&W and Ruger are superior even if the Glock 43 works.  (And this coming from a Glock shooter.)

(The SIG 938 is for guys who think they need a mini .45 1911 system gun.  It is ergonomically like holding pieces of pine board.  If you think it feels good, prepare to get really excited with the Smith or Ruger.  IF you shoot them all, the SIG will get quickly forgotten.  If you see how they administer, ditto.  The Smith and Ruger are shooting-carrying firearms.  Not show toys.  The joke is guys show their buddies their Colt 1911 and carry-shoot their Smiths and Glocks.  As to Kahr, buy a metal frame one if you must.  The plastic handle ones are spotty functionally at best.)

LSA
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

True.  I have been thinking the same thing...may as well carry it all the time...

Yes, the Kahr and Sig are the only ones that I have really had access to, and actually touched.  I really don't mind the weight of the Sig.  It's not too heavy, but definitely a difference between the two.

I'm really looking for the smallest, yet best quality/reliability for the money 9mm...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIL has a LC9 and I had one but I got rid of it not because it had problems but because it was to small in my hands and after each shot I had to readjust my grip because it slipped around.  My single stack 9 I carry is a Walther PPS I snagged it used 450 years back and I love it the larger backstrap adds a hump to the grip which allows my large hands to hold it.
So many good options exist now for single stack 9's it is just awesome.  Even the M&P Shield is a good options if it feels good to you.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#11]
938 is my off duty carry. Enough said.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:39:37 PM EDT
[#12]
938 is a good choice.

the others in that class are the;
BoBerg Engineering Rx 9 (about $1100)
the Rorbaur R9 (about $2400 and designed to shoot 150 rounds)

Boberg also make that very small pistol in 45. Hummm.... 938 looking better?

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:13:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe wealthier pps?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Shoot them all if you can.  Buy the one you like best regardless of the price.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#15]
You don't want the 938 because it's difficult to put back together after field stripping. That damn spring is hell to align and compress to get it back together.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You don't want the 938 because it's difficult to put back together after field stripping. That damn spring is hell to align and compress to get it back together.
View Quote

The above statement is correct... But aside from that and the price, it's a great carry gun!
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I was planning to buy a P938 until I spent some time at Sig Talk and saw all the problems people were having with them. I realize forums and especially make specific ones will bring out the folks with issues on a particular item which may make the problems seem worse than they actually are but I decided I wasn't willing to take the chance. They are great little guns if you get a trouble free one but I came to the conclusion that I didn't want to play the lottery. That being said I ended up getting a P238 which I'm very happy with and it's a good option if I don't carry my PPS which is a nice compact 9mm but bigger than the P938.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's interesting to read...i've never found it challenging.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Me too
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:45:16 PM EDT
[#20]
As far as reassembly it can be a little tricky at first but with a little practice it is no big deal. I would encourage anyone who gets one of these little Sigs to watch a video or two about tear down and assembly because there a couple of things to avoid that if not followed may end up in shipping it back to Sig for a fix. .
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:31:40 PM EDT
[#21]
The 938 is my chosen micro-carry option.  It's a nice piece.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:02:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I have not had any issues with my 938.  Reassembly is tricky but I would not use that against it if you like the gun.  Man up, surround that spring with 12 fingers and get it in there.
Gotta watch that hook piece too...whatever it's called.
Youtube is great for breaking down weapons and putting them back together.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:40:58 AM EDT
[#23]
great pistol, has a bit of a break-in it seemed like, but 100% now. I don't own one, my dad does but it currently resides in my safe while I try out different ammo with it. I personally have no use for the gun, my J frame is my go to for all small pistol work at this point. It is growing on me though, it has potential to replace the J frame as an on duty back-up….
I forgot to mention it is one sexy little pistol. I want VZ to make coyote gunner grips for them so it can match one of my 1911s
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please advise which single stack 9 is thinner and lighter?

The footprint of the 938 is tiny and therefore Ideal for pocket carry.  It carries smaller than the Shield, Nano and even my LCR (Which is essentially the same size as a Jframe).
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The footprint of the 938 is tiny and therefore Ideal for pocket carry.  It carries smaller than the Shield, Nano and even my LCR (Which is essentially the same size as a Jframe).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well...the Kimber Solo Carry is thinner and lighter than all of them...and I'm really torn between it and the Sig.
I was able to visit a few shops yesterday and put my hands on the Sig, Kahr, and the Kimber (which I didn't even knew existed...living under a rock I guess).
My God that Kimber is beautiful, feels perfect/very smooth and rounded, not to mention that it is the smallest and lightest (to me) out of all three of them.  
The Sig has a great feel to it, however it is the "sharper" pistol out to the three.  The thing is kind of heavy in the front pocket, but in a jacket it really shouldn't be an issue I feel...The Kahr's grip isn't as thin as the Sig, but has the more wide/squared off slide of the three.  I have not shot any of them, and I'm not quite sure I will unless I find someone who actually owns each one.
The Kimber really has won me for sure with the aesthetics and overall feel of the gun...I'm just not sure about the reliability and I don't find a ton of reviews past 2011-2012 on the interweb about it either.  I'm not really a Kimber fan, much less a 1911 fan...
Anyone with any input on the Kimber?
ETA:  So after watching our friend Hickok45...apparently the Kahr is smaller in the slide dimensions, but overall they are both relatively the same as far as weight/size...hmm...that Kahr is looking more and more like the no-brainer choice based on price alone between the three...but that Kimber feels damn nice and looks it too...

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Skip the Kimber you would be better served by a polymer wonder pistol. PPS  G43 Shield Kahr etc.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:29:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Don't buy any of them. Good?

I've owned all 3 and find the P938 to be the most comfortable to shoot, easiest to hang on too even with the flush 6rd. magazine and it's very easy to conceal. I haven't had a single issue with any FMJ or HP ammo I've put through my SAS P938.

You can try a G43 and be a tester, but according to everyone salivating over the thing it's the best gun to ever exist even though not a single one has hit the shelves and no one but a select few YouTubers and magazine writers have even touched one.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:48:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Why talk you out of buying a great gun ?
View Quote

It's the new way of asking opinions on guns I guess. I don't get it either.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:51:24 AM EDT
[#29]
we have 2 solos in the family both are great shooters very accurate i like shooting with the extended mags and carry with the short mags my friend just bought one 2 weeks ago and his also works well seems all the issues have been delt with and they are very nice guns.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:30:04 AM EDT
[#30]
The Sig P938 is a decent gun, just can't handle high round count very well. But these pocket guns are designed to be carried and not shot a lot since they beat themselves to death. The Kimber Solo's seem to have a lot of problems from what I've seen, I won't even bother with them. The Kahr PM9 is a good pocket gun. I was going to get the Kahr, but I decided to pony up for the Rohrbaugh R9 pistol instead. I really love my R9, best pocket 9 I've seen to date. It does beat up your trigger finger after a while, of course again this is a gun to be carried more and not shot a lot. If you don't mind going a little larger I would look at the M&P Shield and Springfield XDS pistols, both have been very reliable and durable from what I've seen for longer periods of time, they can handle a higher round count. I want to pick up the XDS in .45acp personally, such a small gun in that large caliber and it shoots well.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Well...I broke down yesterday and was able to trade back in the NAA .22 mag I had bought and picked up the 938.

After assessing the differences between the 3, I felt it was worth the price for the quality, feel and reliabilty reviews when it came to ammo.  This and it was the last one...

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:27:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Well done.  Do a quick take down, lube her up and go shoot a cactus or two.
Be careful not to let the hammer fall with the slide off.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#33]
We shot them all today. Wife still wanted the P938. The Shield she shot good but felt it was still a little to big to carry. The Kimber Solo was a  downright brutal, vicious little monster. Won't own a Kahr cause I can't support the Moonies.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:14:50 AM EDT
[#34]
The LC9s Pro has a really good trigger. I haven't shot one only dry fired it in the store. The CM9 has a great trigger and is pretty small for a 9mm, but the +P rounds kick a bit.

The Shield is a great pistol but definitely a larger sub-compact.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top