Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2015 3:17:51 AM EDT
Is there any point in owning both a VP9 and a Glock 19?

I currently use a G19 as my CCW, and it's easily one of my favorite guns. It was my first ever gun, and I don't think I'd ever part with it. Been hearing nothing but great reviews for the VP9, but I'm just wondering if there's any point in owning one if the G19 seems to cover all the exact same roles.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 3:54:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I love to have a variety of pistols of the same caliber and even the same size to break up the monotony of my collection.  HK is a nice one to own in addition to your Glock.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 6:09:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a VP9, and it was nice.   I still have 4 G19s, and they are nicer IMO.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:45:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I have both....They are different enough to appreciate both of their personalities on the range.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:01:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote

I've owned a G19 from one gen to another for years. Great gun any way you slice it, as we all know.

That being said, IMO, the VP9 is absolutely the better gun.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I have both and will be keeping both for now. Not switching over the HK yet as Im invested in the Glock platform, but the VP9 is pretty nice.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:10:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I would own a VP9 if HK was not so proud of their magazines.  I did finger one in a gun store and while I feel in my opinion the trigger is not leaps and bounds better than the Glock it honestly feels only slightly better than any other striker pistol.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:13:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Handled one at a gunshow. Seemed pretty nice. Pretty decent trigger pull and the price didn't quite hit me as the typical HK-stupid.

Looking at the price of extra mags though, screw that. One store has them for $54.95. Umm, no. Mags are important to me because I like to stock up mainly in response to the decade when I wasn't allowed to purchase new ones. Having 10-20 G17 mags is between $200 and $400. Having 10-20 of those would be between $550 and $1100...holy shite!

EDIT: I also don't like that HK makes a fullsize pistol, but it's only 15rds when the competition is 17, 18, and 19rds for their fullsize offerings. Not that 3rds is a big difference, but I don't understand it.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:47:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Handled one at a gunshow. Seemed pretty nice. Pretty decent trigger pull and the price didn't quite hit me as the typical HK-stupid.

Looking at the price of extra mags though, screw that. One store has them for $54.95. Umm, no. Mags are important to me because I like to stock up mainly in response to the decade when I wasn't allowed to purchase new ones. Having 10-20 G17 mags is between $200 and $400. Having 10-20 of those would be between $550 and $1100...holy shite!

EDIT: I also don't like that HK makes a fullsize pistol, but it's only 15rds when the competition is 17, 18, and 19rds for their fullsize offerings. Not that 3rds is a big difference, but I don't understand it.

View Quote

agreed but could you image had they not used the P30 mag.... You are just like me on the VP9 if I was new to pistols I might buy it but I do not want to pay the price for HK mags and why not just call it the VP9 compact since it is 15 rounds and come out with a real full size.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I one a couple of G19's. My Wife owns a G19 and a VP9. She bought the VP9 because the G19 is a little big for her hands. The VP9 shoots nice but it doesn't do anything the 19 won't. I'm pretty deep into Glocks at this point with magazines, spare parts, etc. That it doesn't make any sense to change platforms.

If it was me, I spend the money on ammo and some training instead of the VP9.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is there any point in owning both a VP9 and a Glock 19?

I currently use a G19 as my CCW, and it's easily one of my favorite guns. It was my first ever gun, and I don't think I'd ever part with it. Been hearing nothing but great reviews for the VP9, but I'm just wondering if there's any point in owning one if the G19 seems to cover all the exact same roles.
View Quote

The Glock 19 is smaller. If the difference in size is enough to make a difference for you, is something only you can decide. If you have the funds to do it, buy the VP9 see what you think and if it will work in the CCW role for you. After a couple of months you will know if you need to keep both or get rid of one.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:37:57 PM EDT
[#11]
As pointed out already, only you can decide if the overlap is so as to warrant both weapons.  Personally, I've shot a VP9 and it was damn good, but not good enough to switch my EDC from my 19.  My 19 has the same capacity in a noticeably smaller package, and my speed and accuracy do not suffer one bit.  Also bear in mind that I'm not a collector and I have 0 ranges toys.  All of my guns are working guns that serve a purpose so my opinion is skewed in that direction.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 4:06:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
As pointed out already, only you can decide if the overlap is so as to warrant both weapons.  Personally, I've shot a VP9 and it was damn good, but not good enough to switch my EDC from my 19.  My 19 has the same capacity in a noticeably smaller package, and my speed and accuracy do not suffer one bit.  Also bear in mind that I'm not a collector and I have 0 ranges toys.  All of my guns are working guns that serve a purpose so my opinion is skewed in that direction.
View Quote

I can build off this...... I do collect and I Love pistols along with having my carry everyday.  The VP9 to me is just to late to the game had it been out years ago maybe I would have gone the HK route and have probably only half the magazines as I do for my Glocks.  I may buy one one day just for shits and giggles but in all honesty I was not WOW'd when I picked it up and fingerbanged it.  Maybe this was because right before I did I was drooling over an HK MK23 but at the price point, what it offers, and the mag price it just did not appeal to me.  I am by no means saying the pistol is bad, has inherent problems, or is a bad design just 700+ for a pistol and mags that cost over 50+ just really ruins the curb appeal.

The same reasons I do not have a VP9 is the same reason I do not have a PPQ.  Maybe if the price on the mags was more in line with Glock I would be all over it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would own a VP9 if HK was not so proud of their magazines.  I did finger one in a gun store and while I feel in my opinion the trigger is not leaps and bounds better than the Glock it honestly feels only slightly better than any other striker pistol.
View Quote

Pretty much all of the above. I used to own HK's, and one reason I got rid of them was that mags and parts were either very expensive, and/or finding them in the first place was like going on a treasure hunt.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 5:25:02 PM EDT
[#14]
The HK isn't going to do anything your Glock isn't already doing.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:27:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I got rid of my G19 when I bought my vp9. Way better ergs. It just feels and looks like quality compared the the Glock. I think that if the VP9 started the whole polymer craze and Glock had just come out, it would have a real hard time even competing. I think Glock has become such a cult classic is because it's the "original."

That said, I only had my Glock for about a year. If it had become an extension of my hand, I might have just stuck with it. I other words, Glock would have become the best handgun. If this sounds like you, and you're already heavily invested in it, I say stick with it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, by your logic you will never have to buy a handgun again. Ever.

There will always be overlap with the G19.

But what would the fun in that be. Pick up a VP9le, enjoy the accuracy and feel, throw a light on it and stuff it in the nightstand, or truck, etc.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well, by your logic you will never have to buy a handgun again. Ever.

There will always be overlap with the G19.

But what would the fun in that be. Pick up a VP9le, enjoy the accuracy and feel, throw a light on it and stuff it in the nightstand, or truck, etc.
View Quote

I think I might have different motivations than others. I like to know my guns inside and out and not be the guy who owns an arsenal but hasn't really bonded with them to the point where shooting them is second-nature. ARs, for example, have gotten to the point where they just make complete sense. I don't know if I would have gotten to that point, at least not as quickly, if I chased after AKs, Tavors, Scars, ACRs, etc.

There's obviously nothing wrong with owning everything. I'm stating my goals.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I am a Glock 19 guy.  Everything else they make is ho-hum.

I got all excited about the VP9 when it came out.  I won't own one though.  

It's a fine gun, but the Glock does everything the VP9 does in a smaller, lighter, cheaper, easier to outfit package.

As far as ergos go...  Glock 19s were made for my hands and I love the Glock grip angle.  But I also touch Picatinny rail with my bare hands, and sometimes I even drive with the windows down.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:48:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think Glock has become such a cult classic is because it's the "original."
View Quote

It's not so much the nostalgia factor as it is the track record.  Now that we've had Gen1-Gen3 Glock models for literally decades, we know how well they perform not just in the short term, but in the long run as well.  You're talking a huge sample size across a very long time frame, which the new comers simply haven't reached yet.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:03:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a VP9 and 2 G19s. I intend to get another G19 as well (a Gen4).
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:13:05 PM EDT
[#22]

I think I might have different motivations than others. I like to know my guns inside and out and not be the guy who owns an arsenal but hasn't really bonded with them to the point where shooting them is second-nature. ARs, for example, have gotten to the point where they just make complete sense. I don't know if I would have gotten to that point, at least not as quickly, if I chased after AKs, Tavors, Scars, ACRs, etc.

There's obviously nothing wrong with owning everything. I'm stating my goals.
View Quote

I can understand this point of view and it makes a lot of sense.

I like different serious purpose firearms because it really helps me enjoy shooting and training without getting bored. The VP9 for instance has really ignited an interest in handgun drills again. I've never made so many ragged holes and it is just exciting. But realistically, it is no better in a defense situation than my first handgun, the beastly, yet simple, Ruger P95.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

except feel comfortable in the hand and not a box
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The HK isn't going to do anything your Glock isn't already doing.

except feel comfortable in the hand and not a box

I don't recall the OP saying the 19 is uncomfortable in the hand. In fact, they said it is one of their favorite guns.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Love my Gen4 19 enough to buy a second for my 5yo and my dad purchased the sequential serial number with me. I waited until last week to get a vp9 and I absolutely love it, this thing is wonderful from an accuracy and ergonomics standpoint. The Glock 19 is still one of my favorites and the ability to get so high on the frame with my grip makes it a keeper of keepers. I'm torn though since I traded the holy grail to me of Glocks for my VP9, my Fish Gill RTF2 G23. I had major remorse knowing my Gilled 23 was leaving me until I felt the grip and trigger on that VP9. The way the trigger breaks on the VP9 is my favorite part of the gun, mainly how it does not pull straight back to the frame.

HK's have been my first pistols so the mag prices don't bother me as they are very well made, not saying Glock mags are not as they proven them selves decades ago. When using the exact Holsters, Galco Kingtuks IWB for my Glock and HK's I find the VP9 carry's exactly the same as my G19. Only thing better about carrying the VP9 over my Gen4 19 is the grip dose not feel as pointy and rough textured when IWB.

Dad already said he would have chosen the VP9 over his 19 after we shot 400 rounds together through it Saturday along with tons of 19 shooting. The Glock is still king of the easy tinkering platform when playing with triggers and accessories but the VP9 needs nothing but more mag availability.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#25]
sounds like you need a G17

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:31:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Owning a handgun aint a marriage. I have a stable of 9mm pistols including both a G19 & a VP9. Some I carry, some I like to shoot, some I just like owning if for no other reason than because I can.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:38:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Owning a handgun aint a marriage. I have a stable of 9mm pistols including both a G19 & a VP9 Walther PPQ. Some I carry, some I like to shoot, some I just like owning if for no other reason than because I can.

View Quote

Fixt because the PPQ is better than VP9.     Makarov is dead nuts on with the part in bold.  Carry the G19 and buy others for the fun of it.    
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#28]
i have both and love both! i have cut down my handgun collection but i have kept 2 glocks and the VP9.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top