Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2015 11:46:48 PM EDT
On the pistol surfaces where some may normally grease, is there any consensus about whether to apply grease to one or both surfaces?  

In other words, surface A and surface B slide against each other.  Do most apply grease to only one surface, or to both A and B?  Or is it more of a YMMV/'some do this, some do that' issue?  

TIA ~
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:49:19 PM EDT
[#1]
No grease, it'll attract gunk fast.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:01:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
On the pistol surfaces where some may normally grease, is there any consensus about whether to apply grease to one or both surfaces?  

In other words, surface A and surface B slide against each other.  Do most apply grease to only one surface, or to both A and B?  Or is it more of a YMMV/'some do this, some do that' issue?  

TIA ~
View Quote

I really don't think it matters. I grease my SIGs like recommended in the pinned thread in the SIG subforum.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:15:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Hmmmm....  Seems I've heard that before, somewhere!  

When I started thinking about this, it wasn't long before I saw that there were 2 definite 'camps' in this debate.  I'm relatively new to handgun shooting, and I'm trying things out to get personal experience, and wondered if there was any sort of consensus on this particular point.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:16:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I sometimes put a tiny bit of grease on the frame's slide rails. It doesn't really help. I just do it because it doesn't run off like a drop of oil. I don't feel like I'm getting enough oil by just brushing oil on the slide rails, but I brush the oil on everywhere else.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 4:15:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I just oil/grease one area and not both mating areas.  No need to.  Glock pistols you pretty much have only a handful of areas that you put a drop of oil and that's it.  I don't like to over do it with the lube on my firearms as it would cause more issues.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 6:51:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

When I started thinking about this, it wasn't long before I saw that there were 2 definite 'camps' in this debate.  I'm relatively new to handgun shooting, and I'm trying things out to get personal experience, and wondered if there was any sort of consensus on this particular point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on what gun you are talking about. If you shoot SIG classic guns like the p226 or p229 then you will want to use grease. Pretty much all the experts agree on that. As far as other guns, I don't know how much it matters. You could probably just spit on a Glock or HK every now and then and it would keep running fine.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:05:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm in south Louisiana and during summer months I use pro gold, or another syringe type gun grease (forget name), during the winter and cooler times I just use EWL, or Hoppe's.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:36:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I usually just grease one or the other. I love grease around here where it gets so hot many oils don't seem to last long.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:20:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Definitely grease your gun if it's aluminum or steel. It helps a lot both with limiting wear and reliability. I used oil only for a long time, and after using grease for a year I will always use it on my 1911s and SIGs, and manufacturers and pro shooters will also recommend it. It does make debris stick, but grease takes care of that when the gun cycles. Debris is a much worse problem on a dry gun or one with oil that runs dry. This is one debate that I think one side is wrong about (at least with handguns that are made of steel or aluminum). I do put a little grease on specific internals and the metal slide mating surfaces of my VP9, but I don't think it is as supsceptible to the problems that grease addresses.

It only takes a small amount of grease, so I don't think it would matter if you greased one or both surfaces.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:49:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I grease both mating sides with TW 25B and my rails look so good it wouldn't be believed how many rounds have been fired though my pistols, both aluminum and steel framed.

Tetra Grease has also provided me with excellent results when properly applied.

One thing about the TW25B I like is how it doesn't attract dirt and cleanup is easy with paper towels, a rag and some Q-Tips.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:17:06 AM EDT
[#11]

The trick about grease is not putting too much on.

I'm a big fan of Tetra gun grease. It gets cold enough around here to stiffen anything up, but that Tetra has always been 100% for me.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks, all.

I've tried - to this point - Lucas Red n Tacky, Slide Glide, and a couple of guns with the TW25B that came with one of my Sigs.  The Lucas and Slide Glide I applied liberally, at first, and did have a few issues on a couple of guns, but nothing that wiping off some excess didn't take care of.

The consistency of the TW25B seems significantly thinner than the other RnT and Slide Glide - someone mentioned how it was easy to clean up, and I can certainly see that.  I liked it, but thought I would check out the other 2 first prior to buying more of the TW25B, as it  was quite a bit more expensive.  

Tetra Grease is next up on the list to take a look at.

I apply the RnT and Slide Glide using a small, but sturdy, brush.  Ater brushing it in, it looks like there's nothing there as it is so translucent  :)  but as the brush was saturated prior to applying, I just trust that it is on there.  

Thanks again ~
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Lanza, if you are talking about that CZ999, then YES, you need to grease it, just like the Sig sticky that is easily found by searching Sig grease on google.  Grease thin but thoroughly
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:42:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't personally get into finding "the best" lube. As long as it does the job in the weather I'm in, it's good to go.

So I use Shooters Choice. If I found something else that had a nice easy syringe, I'd have no problem switching. As for what surfaces to grease, do but intermittent dabs of grease on both slide and frame rails and work the action back and forth to spread it, wiping off excess with my fingertip and reapplying it anywhere that got missed. After that, excess is wiped away with a cloth/swab. Does it matter which surface?  Probably not; it's grease, it will transfer.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I have shot a lot of guns in my like and here is my $.02 so long as you are using lubrication on areas where metal is contacting metal it does not matter if you use grease or oil just as long as you have lubrication.  Now not all lubricants are created equal.

It comes back to about a year ago my neighbor comes walking over while I am smearing lithium grease on the tracks for my garage door and asks me why I am doing that.  I said metal to metal contact and I want my garage door to last plus it was creaking and squeaking like crazy which the lube corrected.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:45:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I always use grease on my CZ pistols, mobil 1 synthetic red grease, yes sir I do
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:10:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I have always used Lubriplate No. 105 Motor Assembly Grease on my pistols and semi auto rifles. Mainly because my first semi was an M1. Small artist brush and paint everything that is a bearing surface of shines from friction, both top and bottom. I live were it is hot and oil will run off where grease lasts longer. When it looks nasty change it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I put Magnalube grease on all my firearms. Cuz I'm lazy and hate washing my hands if I don't have to, I apply the grease to the bearing surfaces with a nitrile glove. A thin coat is all it takes.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Grease what slides, oil what rotates.

Even a 'plastic' pistol has steel inserts in the grip for the slide to move on.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not all of them.  Ruger P95s don't.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:18:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Just grease one side of the mating surface and it will transfer to the other surface.

I use cheap hi-temp bearing grease from Walmart, and if I need oil I use what I use in my truck 5w-20 Motorcraft.  I also shoot about 20k through my competition guns each year with no issues.  I also use grease in my duty and carry guns with no issues.  In the winter I mix a little of the oil with the grease before I apply to thin it a bit.

Jon
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I sometimes put a tiny bit of grease on the frame's slide rails. It doesn't really help. I just do it because it doesn't run off like a drop of oil. I don't feel like I'm getting enough oil by just brushing oil on the slide rails, but I brush the oil on everywhere else.
View Quote

This, I don't have to worry if it has been a couple of weeks since I oiled it, it will run!

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:02:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I always grease both contact surfaces, though I can't say why it would matter if you apply sufficient grease to only one of the contact surfaces. About the only guns I don't grease to at least some extent are my ARs.

Marine axle grease is my preference, but the Hoppe's stuff that smells vaguely like cinnamon works too. Never tried the Tetra grease or any of that fancy stuff.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:36:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thanks, all.

I've tried - to this point - Lucas Red n Tacky, Slide Glide, and a couple of guns with the TW25B that came with one of my Sigs.  The Lucas and Slide Glide I applied liberally, at first, and did have a few issues on a couple of guns, but nothing that wiping off some excess didn't take care of.

The consistency of the TW25B seems significantly thinner than the other RnT and Slide Glide - someone mentioned how it was easy to clean up, and I can certainly see that.  I liked it, but thought I would check out the other 2 first prior to buying more of the TW25B, as it  was quite a bit more expensive.  

Tetra Grease is next up on the list to take a look at.

I apply the RnT and Slide Glide using a small, but sturdy, brush.  Ater brushing it in, it looks like there's nothing there as it is so translucent  :)  but as the brush was saturated prior to applying, I just trust that it is on there.  

Thanks again ~
View Quote

Applying the grease properly where it's needed is far more important than which reputable product you apply so long as you use a product suitable for the temperatures you are likely to encounter, which is why everyone has a favorite product they all swear by since they all work well when used properly.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So they are actually using steel on plastic?
That is not going to work all that well.

The first bit of grit is going to tear the plastic up badly.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I've used both grease and oil.  

I mostly use CLP, but I've used Tetra and just regular ole white lithium grease.

This is the only thing that I can add that I'm not sure has been said.  Oil will eventually dry, and some grease may eventually harden.  So either one needs some kind of interval care.  In either case a well shot gun would probably work regardless, but it's good to keep them current.   Some grease might get more gummy than others as time goes on, and some oils might evaporate quicker than others.  

So I guess you just have to see what works for you.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:21:51 AM EDT
[#28]
As a Glock owner, reading this thread is sort of like owning a car and finding a bunch of people discussing how to keep their horse cart running.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup. but oddly they work great.  the polymer on those Rugers are tough as nails.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
As a Glock owner, reading this thread is sort of like owning a car and finding a bunch of people discussing how to keep their horse cart running.  
View Quote

I use Breakfree LP to lubricate my plastic guns.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#31]
I use slide glide lite and apply it with a flux brush (with half the bristles cut off).
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I use the Shooter's Choice red grease on slide rails on carry guns and never notice a buildup of dirt.

I think this is a little overblown - bottom line is if you are in a really dusty dirty environment and you need your weapons to run, you are going to need oil or grease, and both of those will attract shit.  There's pretty much no alternative in the situation to routine maintenance.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:12:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess - I use the red grease on my Glock frame rails - just a little - and oil on the various other lub points.  It's no different really
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#34]
I use slide glide on all my frame rails. Started doing it on my sigs that I no longer have and continued with my M&P and FNX Tactical
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

yup. but oddly they work great.  the polymer on those Rugers are tough as nails.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not as tough as the first grain of quartz.
Of xourse that would be hard on steel also, but the plastic will take all the wear.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#37]
I always grease the rails in my handguns, and have never had a problem.
I have shot them in dusty environments with no problems, and lint has never been a problem either.

I dont go dropping my gun in the dirt though.

I use a moly-based anti-some sieze grease that has a high temp mil-spec rating
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#38]

he got paid to say that BTW ^^^
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I use the Shooter's Choice red grease on slide rails on carry guns and never notice a buildup of dirt.

I think this is a little overblown - bottom line is if you are in a really dusty dirty environment and you need your weapons to run, you are going to need oil or grease, and both of those will attract shit.  There's pretty much no alternative in the situation to routine maintenance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, he's just full of shit. Grease won't "attract "[Retain is the correct word; it's not actively grabbing dust out of the air.] dirt and dust anymore than oil will. Grease has the advantage of staying put and not drying out much longer than oil, and dust and grime isn't a major issue for most firearms, providing they are properly lubed. A dirty, lubed gun (that sounds a bit wrong ) is going to operate better than a dry, clean firearm. Having lube actually in place is what counts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top