User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 4:46:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How does a loaded lightweight J frame compare, weightwise, with the various semi-autos mentioned here?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
While I'm interested in trying the new glock 43, my "always" gun is still a J Frame airweight centennial snubby, the 442. I have yet to find a tiny pocket auto that's as reliable. While limited in capacity, and requiring diligent practice to maximize performance, their is very good reason why lightweight J frames have been a gold standard in the pocket carry world.

How does a loaded lightweight J frame compare, weightwise, with the various semi-autos mentioned here?

I'm not sure how the actual weight compares but my 642 feels lighter loaded than my Shield 9. The 642 and the Kahr PM9 were about the same weight (at least feel wise) to my recollection, though I don't have the Kahr anymore.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#2]
CM/PM9
I carry mine in sweats and gym shorts with a smart carry whilst running, hiking, mountain biking, and have even take it mountain climbing up to almost 15k. I've also worn it under shorts with no shirt.
It's hardly noticeable that way but add a hybrid IWB holster and it all but disappears into a pair of pants
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The XD-S 9 has been perfect...
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I considered the CM9, LC9, Solo Carry, and the P938.  I bought the P938 because of the size and quality primarily.

Fits in your pocket perfectly.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 10:41:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I own a Shield and a Kahr PM9. Both are excellent firearms and completely trustworthy. The Kahr has roughly 800 rounds with only a few shooter related malfunctions-grip related. I'm on my second Shield, first with safety, second without. Both reliable but I did experience a couple stoppages with the first until I put a Talon grip on it. I mainly carry the Shield because of the trigger, as it's closer to all my other pistols. Based on your criteria, the Kahr is worth looking into. Just keep in mind that any gun that small requires a firm grip and that you keep your mitts off the mag release and slide lock.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 1:51:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I considered the CM9, LC9, Solo Carry, and the P938.  I bought the P938 because of the size and quality primarily.

Fits in your pocket perfectly.
View Quote

My sister has a Solo CDP, it is truly the finest compact I've ever handled.  The ergonomics are the best of anything made.  However, it's all metal construction  takes it heavier than most.  I hate myself for not buying myself a CDP at the time.  Shoots great, has excellent reliability and is a sweet overall gun.  Too heavy for this purpose though.  

This is a hard decision, good thing I have time to compare.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#7]
The only gun I pocket carry is the S&W Bodyguard 380.  IMO it's big enough to grasp/shoot reasonably and still small enough to fit in a pants pocket.  There are smaller guns out there in both 380 and 9 but I just can't get a comfortable grip on them.  Also have the S&W Shield 9mm.  Love the gun as an EDC but it's a little big for the pocket.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top