Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe we should have 5 rules.  you know, cause we don't want accidents of being sloppy being played against our rights.  "Carefully re-holster any pistol without any obstruction to the trigger area."
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#2]
When I first got a glock I was nervous about the same thing. I left it unloaded and just played with it for a few days. Stuffing it in pockets, bags and flimsy holsters, always looking for it to drop the striker. In those days I never once had an issue that would have resulted in a round fired if it were loaded. Now it is always loaded, and I am much less careless. Still no signs of trouble.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#3]
A lot of self defense shootings happen within arms reach distances. You may need a free hand to make space for you to draw.

Would you be able to chamber a round while you're grappling with someone?

I carried my first striker fired pistol with the chamber empty for about a week.

Unless you're a cop, there should never be a need for you to reholster quickly. Look down and make sure nothing is in the way.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:36:43 PM EDT
[#4]
My school of thought: carry guns should be semi-auto w/o an external safety and with a round in the tube.  I want to minimize the points of failure. Safeties require training to the point where disengaging it is automatic under pressure and if someone's willing to put in the training time that's great.  Most people are not willing to put in the time.  Racking a round into the chamber when needed takes too much time and is another failure point--a click when it should go bang.

Besides, I know my handgun is loaded, always ready to go.  There is no doubt and I always treat it as such.  I expect all my handguns to be loaded unless they're verified to be unloaded mechanically (racking), visually (look into the chamber) and physically (finger the chamber).

Unless you're a cop, there should never be a need for you to revolver quickly. Look down and make sure nothing is in the way.
View Quote

Absolutely right.  Watch out for cords, drawstrings and the like.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I have carried my G27 in my pocket in a pocket holster chambered many times.....still here
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:34:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes it's safe, a full mag and one in the tube is how a Glock is meant to be carried.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Must of missed those reports, haven't seen any news about multiple cops having negligent discharges with their Glocks.
Anyways my way of thinking is. If you ask that question, you most likely do not have the training and or experience to carry a concealed handgun.
Any firearm with or without a round in the chamber(why even bother to carry if not) is only as safe and effective as the person carrying it.
View Quote

This is the most honest and nice way to answer this question. If you don't have one in the hole, your better to carry a rock
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:23:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Its HOW you are supposed to carry.
I carry a Berretta 92fs every single day.
Two extra mags.
Round in the chamber decocked and off safe. If you shoot yourself with a 10lbs pull on accident you shouldn't be carrying anyway. Besides when you need it you don't have time to rack it or take it off safe.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:14:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I carried without one in the chamber in my M&P9c (no manual safety) for my first 2 weeks or so, then put a round in the chamber after.  No worries since, just a comfort thing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You're doing it wrong if you're NOT carrying one in the tube.  

You need a good holster, belt, and trigger discipline.
View Quote

This. Been carrying my 26 ready to rock in a CrossBreed Super Tuck for 5 years, no issues. Well except for some dust bunnies and lint it may accumulate
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:07:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Having to draw a gun doesn't always mean you have to shoot
. Armed Citizen column in the NRA magazines always has at least one story a month where a gun stopped a threat, but shooting wasn't required, as the threat ran at the sight of the gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
what are you "reholstering" for? get a kydex that covers the trigger and leave the gun in it. if you have the need to Reholster, there is NEVER any reason to quickly holster anyway. no bullet in the chamber is going to make you a dead person if you have to pull that pistol.

. Armed Citizen column in the NRA magazines always has at least one story a month where a gun stopped a threat, but shooting wasn't required, as the threat ran at the sight of the gun.

that's true but doesn't change the fact that there is zero reason to not slowly and carefully re holster to put it back. the gun should be loaded or don't carry a gun at all.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe a laps in judgment on my part, but a friend of mine was worried that I carried my G30 with a round in the chamber. I looked at him and said Im not worried, and threw the loaded gun at the floor, it bounced 3 times, and guess what, no bang and no movement of the trigger. Modern guns dont just go off, even when abused.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Maybe a laps in judgment on my part, but a friend of mine was worried that I carried my G30 with a round in the chamber. I looked at him and said Im not worried, and threw the loaded gun at the floor, it bounced 3 times, and guess what, no bang and no movement of the trigger. Modern guns dont just go off, even when abused.
View Quote

Please don't do that again.  Thank you.  ETA: Wanted to add that most gun people know that modern handguns are drop safe but to most others, throwing a loaded gun seems reckless and dangerous.  It only adds to their argument--in their minds--that we should not have firearms.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:04:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Not carrying with one in the chamber makes three terrible presumptions:

1. That you will have time to get the gun out and chamber a round and get an accurate shot off before the assailant has his gun on you.
2. That you will have the use of both hands with which to manually chamber a round.
3. That you will effectively chamber a round under stress, i.e. gripping the slide correctly, not experiencing a failure to feed.

I don't want to take that chance. Always loaded, always ready to go. Period.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:09:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've dropped Glocks, M&P, Sigs, and a Kahr - all loaded - and none of them went off. A modern pistol in proper working condition is perfectly drop safe. I don't know that I would drop one deliberately to illustrate that point, though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:23:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You're doing it wrong if you're NOT carrying one in the tube.  

You need a good holster, belt, and trigger discipline.
View Quote

Yup. Odds are you're not going to have time to rack the slide in a defensive situation. You need to be prepared - and being prepared means a round chambered at all times.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

that's true but doesn't change the fact that there is zero reason to not slowly and carefully re holster to put it back. the gun should be loaded or don't carry a gun at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
what are you "reholstering" for? get a kydex that covers the trigger and leave the gun in it. if you have the need to Reholster, there is NEVER any reason to quickly holster anyway. no bullet in the chamber is going to make you a dead person if you have to pull that pistol.

I agree completely. All my carry holsters are kydex.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:17:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Practice drawing from your holster without live ammunition in the gun. As others have said, it's not a great idea to wrap your finger around the trigger guard when drawing.

Also remember, that there won't ever be a situation where you need to be in a hurry to RE-HOLSTER your gun. So take your time and re-holster safely.
View Quote

This. Worrying about smooth reholstering is like worrying about velcro noise on your magazine pouches.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Generally goes well unless you tend to pull the trigger on accident a lot.  Sorry man, but this is a dumb question.

If you don't feel comfortable with it then maybe get something with a grip safety, or a hammer.  It's really not an issue for someone who understands safe firearm handling rules.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:31:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Every expert was a beginner at one time and we should bear that in mind when answering questions that may seem like a noob topic.
View Quote

Never read the OP as a troll.  Some people take an expert's advice and move immediately to it.  Almost without question.  Others process it differently.  They need to read more, understand the history and rationale, and be comfortable with the advice.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Please don't do that again.  Thank you.  ETA: Wanted to add that most gun people know that modern handguns are drop safe but to most others, throwing a loaded gun seems reckless and dangerous.  It only adds to their argument--in their minds--that we should not have firearms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said a lapse of judgement, but it illustrated the point and he isnt an anti, just not 100% up to speed on how safe guns are when youre not a complete idiot.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#24]
OP, you'll be fine with one in the chamber.  Leave it in a good quality holster and resist the urge to remove it from the holster and handle it.  Seriously, you'll be fine, it just takes awhile to get used to it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:24:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Decided to switch from carrying a snubby to a glock 26. My main concern is how light the trigger pull is. I'm concerned that an AD could happen Because it has happened to several cops in the news lately. Anyone carry a Glock or a similar striker gun? Is this a legit concern? Or am I just being paranoid?
View Quote

Most cops are very bad shooters. Most cops only go to the range once a year. A lot cops can't pass their simple firearms qualification test. Gun safety wise I cringe when I see or hear a cop teaching gun safety in school. I lost count on how many times I heard a cop shot themselves in front of the students.

You're not paranoid just lack confidence. One thing you should not do is carry a handgun unloaded.

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes.

Loaded if leaving the house.....and at least one always loaded at the house
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top