Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/20/2015 11:30:49 AM EDT
Decided to switch from carrying a snubby to a glock 26. My main concern is how light the trigger pull is. I'm concerned that an AD could happen Because it has happened to several cops in the news lately. Anyone carry a Glock or a similar striker gun? Is this a legit concern? Or am I just being paranoid?
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#1]
You're being paranoid. It's perfectly safe, and the proper way to carry a gun.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Decided to switch from carrying a snubby to  aglock 26. My main concern is how light the trigger pull is. I'm concerned that an AD could happen Because it has happened to several cops in the news Lately. Anyone carry a Glock or a similar striker gun? YES! Is this a legit concern? Or am I just being paranoid? YES!
View Quote
Get yourself a good holster and get used to the manual of arms with the Glock. It freaked me out at first, but then I realized the truth. Now a days I can see that the only people who think guns Fire themselves or just go off randomly are the left wing liberalist pigs.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Must of missed those reports, haven't seen any news about multiple cops having negligent discharges with their Glocks.
Anyways my way of thinking is. If you ask that question, you most likely do not have the training and or experience to carry a concealed handgun.
Any firearm with or without a round in the chamber(why even bother to carry if not) is only as safe and effective as the person carrying it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#4]
You're doing it wrong if you're NOT carrying one in the tube.  

You need a good holster, belt, and trigger discipline.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#5]
If you carry in a secure holster (trigger guard completely covered) and you only put your finger on the trigger when you want it to go boom, there is no reason to carry with an empty chamber.

If it worries you, carry the gun on an empty chamber for a few days. Each evening before bed, check the gun and see if the trigger has magically depressed itself or not. After a few days of this, you will likely see why most do not worry about having a round in the chamber.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:54:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes it is safe, most ND's are a result of poor finger control or not keeping clothes etc. out of the holster area when re-holstering.

I carry a 1911 mostly but carry a Glock when I know I am going to be get wet or really dirty or sweaty. Never had an issue.

Take the Glock put it in a holster no round in the chamber make sure it is ready to go besides the round in the chamber (cocked, magazine in etc). Wear it at home, throw it down in the holster onto the floor or bed, subject it to more abuse (in the holster) than you are going to give it day to day and see that it will not go off.

Never had my holstered Glock go off, it is not my normal carry gun, I carry it in the worst possibly conditions mostly concealed and sometimes open and have not had an issue. I have owned this pistol since  early 2000's.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

And if it's a 1911, don't drop it on the bathroom floor.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 12:30:29 PM EDT
[#8]
OK you are seeking information; that is good. But you must be able to analyze information from multiple sources and figure out what the real deal.

COPS; "Glock Leg" (I donna know the damn thing just went off just when I was putting it the holster)
REAL DEAL: had their finger on the trigger when re-holstering the weapon. It would not matter what pistol brand used (Glock most used) when you press the trigger gun goes BANG.

Real problem is that they are not honest , adult, or knowable enough to admit what they did.

Analyze the safe action trigger and firing system you will find out that these "Glock Leg" stories are bullshit.  

Same problem exists with the Blackhawk Sherpa holster.
The posers say the when they use the trigger finger to activate the release it "automatically" puts the finger on the trigger and the gun fires. When in fact it lines up the finger above the trigger position line exactly where the finger is suppose to be in the "ready" position. But that myth is still out there.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh yea.... Back in the day striker fired guns did have a bad rep for discharges from drops. BUT that was the 1920's.

Sure there are still some striker fired guns out there that fully cock the F pin with all the energy it needs to fire the round. All you have to do is knock the gun hard enough to dislodge the sear F pin (with the safety off usually).

Kinda hard to remember those now they are not very popular.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Get a holster that covers the trigger and keep your booger hook off the bang switch.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#11]
when drawing if you draw excited with finger inside trigger guard is how you ad. draw properly with finger outside of guard until up to target problem solved.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
when drawing if you draw excited with finger inside trigger guard is how you ad. draw properly with finger outside of guard until up to target problem solved.
View Quote

You make us work harder to read your posts, because you're too lazy to use punctuation.  Does that really seem fair to you?
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:18:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Take your Glock and throw a snap cap in the chamber. No live rounds at all. Put it in the holster and walk around your house. Bump into things, jump on the bed, flop down onto the couch, crawl under the kitchen table, slap at your holster, reach for things in your pockets, maybe do some jumping jacks.

Now take the gun out, point it in a safe direction and pull the trigger. I guarantee you if you have a good holster that covers the trigger and have proper tension and a good belt, you'll feel the trigger break and the striker hit.

That's because there is no way doing all those things will set the gun off.

People ND because they either have a crappy holster, don't pay attention when putting the gun in the holster (snagging the trigger on something) or when they draw the gun, they immediately put their finger on the trigger.

I typically just keep my CCW in the holster. Put it on and take it off without drawing the gun out. Takes care of a lot of nervous issues.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I've carried a Glock with one in the chamber for almost 15 years now. It's the right thing to do.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Take your Glock and throw a snap cap in the chamber. No live rounds at all. Put it in the holster and walk around your house. Bump into things, jump on the bed, flop down onto the couch, crawl under the kitchen table, slap at your holster, reach for things in your pockets, maybe do some jumping jacks.

Now take the gun out, point it in a safe direction and pull the trigger. I guarantee you if you have a good holster that covers the trigger and have proper tension and a good belt, you'll feel the trigger break and the striker hit.

People ND because they either have a crappy holster, don't pay attention when putting the gun in the holster (snagging the trigger on something) or when they draw the gun, they immediately put their finger on the trigger.

I typically just keep my CCW in the holster. Put it on and take it off without drawing the gun out. Takes care of a lot of nervous issues.
View Quote

Ok ill try that. Im just worried when drawing and reholstering that my clothes will snag the trigger so im training myself to wrap my finge around the trigger guard.

Right now im using a cheapo galco leather iwb. Ill look for something with more positive retention as well like kydex.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Ok ill try that. Im just worried when drawing and reholstering that my clothes will snag the trigger so im training myself to wrap my finge around the trigger guard.

Right now im using a cheapo galco leather iwb. Ill look for something with more positive retention as well like kydex.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get your finger OFF of the trigger guard.

Use support hand to reach across to strong side.
Firmly grasp ALL clothing above the belt line.
Take that hand and pull all of that clothing to the center of your chest.
Holster is clear.

If you're still freaked out, take a peek at the holster before you re-holster.

Nothing hard about that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't use your trigger finger to establish your grip at all. Point it out and away from you when drawing.

Try putting the empty gun in the holster and then putting the holster on. If you can do that without the gun falling out, then just load it up and stick it in the holster. There is no rule that says you must put the holster on first. Just don't let it tip out.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OK you are seeking information; that is good. But you must be able to analyze information from multiple sources and figure out what the real deal.

COPS; "Glock Leg" (I donna know the damn thing just went off just when I was putting it the holster)
REAL DEAL: had their finger on the trigger when re-holstering the weapon. It would not matter what pistol brand used (Glock most used) when you press the trigger gun goes BANG.

Real problem is that they are not honest , adult, or knowable enough to admit what they did.

Analyze the safe action trigger and firing system you will find out that these "Glock Leg" stories are bullshit.  

Same problem exists with the Blackhawk Sherpa holster.
The posers say the when they use the trigger finger to activate the release it "automatically" puts the finger on the trigger and the gun fires. When in fact it lines up the finger above the trigger position line exactly where the finger is suppose to be in the "ready" position. But that myth is still out there.

View Quote

That is not entirely true.  If you have a weapon that has some kind of external safety applied, it would most likely stop an ND or AD.  I'm not saying that one should rely on an external safety and not use proper technique.  But it is a thing to consider.  Because as some have pointed out, clothes are another thing that could cause the gun to go off.  Yes, you need to take care when holstering, keep your finger off the trigger and all that.  But the downside to a striker fired gun without an external safety is that it may be more prone to be a problem when people fail to do what they should do.  But having said that, any type of weapon needs to be handle properly to not have an accident.  

Anyways....  I personally feel more comfortable with other types of weapons because for ME, I like the added level of safety.  However, I'm carrying a DAO snubby exclusively right now and it also doesn't have an external safety.  So you still need to holster carefully.  As with any gun.  

And to the OP, if you are newer to carrying Autos over revolvers, you have to watch out for bullet setback in your ammo if you are unloading and unloading regularly.  I wouldn't use the same round I loaded in the chamber more than once.  I think some guys do, but loading them can set the bullet back.  You don't have the problem with a revolver, so I thought I'd remind you about it.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 2:23:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Decided to switch from carrying a snubby to a glock 26. My main concern is how light the trigger pull is. I'm concerned that an AD could happen Because it has happened to several cops in the news lately. Anyone carry a Glock or a similar striker gun? Is this a legit concern? Or am I just being paranoid?
View Quote

It happened to those cops because they pulled the trigger.  Glocks - like pretty much every other pistol - require strict adherence to safety rules.

Carry in a good holster that covers the trigger guard.

No issue carrying in the chamber - Federal Law enforcement trains Sally Agent with like 40 hours of training then turns her loose with a crappy holster and a round inthe chamber of her Glock.

Study how that system actually works and you'll feel better.

If you are really uncomfortable carrying a round in the chamber I suggest just switch to a traditional DA/SA auto - nothing wrong with that and it givces you the same revolver trigger first shot.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Get a holster that covers the trigger and keep your booger hook off the bang switch.
View Quote

This.

If you carry without one in the pipe, you've given up your firearm for a small fairly ineffective club.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

Also, if wearing a jacket or loose clothing, be wary when holstering to prevent your clothing from getting caught up in the holster too.

ETA: i see that was already covered... oh well, doesn't hurt to be repeated.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Like everyone said, keep your finger off the trigger and a good holster.

If you do drop the gun, DO NOT TRY TO CATCH IT.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Practice drawing from your holster without live ammunition in the gun. As others have said, it's not a great idea to wrap your finger around the trigger guard when drawing.

Also remember, that there won't ever be a situation where you need to be in a hurry to RE-HOLSTER your gun. So take your time and re-holster safely.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Keep your finger off the trigger unless you are prepared to fire. Very simple.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#25]
My first carry gun was a Glock 27 and second a Glock 19. It can seem odd if your used to guns with safeties or maybe if your new to guns completely. The thing is, If your drawing your gun and putting your finger on the trigger, you shouldnt be carrying. It will not fire by itself its completely safe long as you have a holster that covers your trigger guard.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 4:38:08 PM EDT
[#26]
It's a lot safer for the bad guys if  you don't . . .
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Round in the pipe is the only way.  If you need your gun you may not have time to rack the slide.  Trade the Glock for something with a manual safety if you can't  get over it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:40:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes, Do it all the time.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:22:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:18:55 AM EDT
[#31]
a non-thumb strap holster and keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:58:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:09:04 AM EDT
[#33]
My Glock pistols that I have for HD is always ready to go with one in the tube.  I wouldn't have it any other way.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:00:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:38:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Keep your finger off the trigger unless you are prepared to fire. Very simple.
View Quote

If you don't trust your carry gun no matter the brand or fire control system you shouldn't use it.
The bad guy isn't going to wait for you to load and make ready.

Train yourself properly and keep your finger off the trigger until you need to fire.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Don't use your trigger finger to establish your grip at all. Point it out and away from you when drawing.

Try putting the empty gun in the holster and then putting the holster on. If you can do that without the gun falling out, then just load it up and stick it in the holster. There is no rule that says you must put the holster on first. Just don't let it tip out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very good advice, when we did class for NRA Pistol, we were taught to get the finger used to resting on the slide once  we pulled and away when drawing.

I had the same reservations when I started, that lasted a day or two after I drilled and did the snap cap training. I will say that our instructor felt leaving it unchambered was a good idea, I even toyed with the Israeli Draw, but I prefer being ready to rock. My carry is a XDM so I have the backstrap safety, though doing a proper grasp you will have that safety depressed on the draw and reholstering. My AR Pistol I don't keep chambered since the firing pin floats and in the car a solid hit in an accident could cause an AD.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Very good advice, when we did class for NRA Pistol, we were taught to get the finger used to resting on the slide once  we pulled and away when drawing.

I had the same reservations when I started, that lasted a day or two after I drilled and did the snap cap training. I will say that our instructor felt leaving it unchambered was a good idea, I even toyed with the Israeli Draw, but I prefer being ready to rock. My carry is a XDM so I have the backstrap safety, though doing a proper grasp you will have that safety depressed on the draw and reholstering. My AR Pistol I don't keep chambered since the firing pin floats and in the car a solid hit in an accident could cause an AD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm an NRA instructor. In the basic level classes, you essentially give the safest way of doing things as far as an ND goes. We even tell people that they should store all their ammunition and firearms completely separately.

The defense based courses are very different.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#38]
That's the only way to carry it unless your super fast at making it ready , chances are your  not.................
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You're being paranoid. It's perfectly safe, and the proper way to carry a gun.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Here's an Indiana police chief in a gun shop, showing off his backup gun for no reason (G23) and in reholstering sloppily, he lets the draw string get tangled up in his holster which finds its way into the trigger area..then he pulls the draw string and the gun 'accidentally' (read=negligently) goes off.  Regular citizen, it would be negligent and you'd probably lose your CCW and get a citation for firing within city limits..but he's an elitist so he walks, of course.  Oh yeah, he's even shot himself before in the hand cleaning a gun that was loaded.
http://gunssavelives.net/blog/video-police-chief-shoots-himself-after-his-jacket-drawstring-causes-negligent-discharge/

But there's other examples towards the end of the video of glock leg...also known as negligent discharges.

In short, to the OP, to concur with everyone here...guns are meant to be carried so that they can be fired as easily and quickly as possible.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#41]

This all the way..... Finger off trigger until ready to fire.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

Yup
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Perfectly fine to carry your Glock in this manner.
If you have reservations in carrying this way, you may want to familiarize yourself and train with your firearm.
Also as long as you follow the 4 Basic Rules of Firearms Safety you should be OK!
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:15:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That's the only way to carry it unless your super fast at making it ready , chances are your  not.................
View Quote
It's not about speed, it's about the number of hands it takes to reliably chamber a round.  I seldom have two hands free; cell phone or something is in my left hand almost always.  

You might be using one of your arms to fend off an attack.

Also, if you're walking with your spouse and someone tries to rob you, she's likely going to fasten both of her hands to one of your arms.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#45]
what are you "reholstering" for? get a kydex that covers the trigger and leave the gun in it. if you have the need to Reholster, there is NEVER any reason to quickly holster anyway. no bullet in the chamber is going to make you a dead person if you have to pull that pistol.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Carry it in a proper holster that covers the trigger guard. Keep everything other than your finger off the trigger, and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
what are you "reholstering" for? get a kydex that covers the trigger and leave the gun in it. if you have the need to Reholster, there is NEVER any reason to quickly holster anyway. no bullet in the chamber is going to make you a dead person if you have to pull that pistol.
View Quote

Having to draw a gun doesn't always mean you have to shoot. Armed Citizen column in the NRA magazines always has at least one story a month where a gun stopped a threat, but shooting wasn't required, as the threat ran at the sight of the gun.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Keep your finger out of the trigger guard until you are ready to shoot.

I have carried Glocks with a round in the chamber daily for the past twenty years or so.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:16:25 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
This.

Also, if wearing a jacket or loose clothing, be wary when holstering to prevent your clothing from getting caught up in the holster too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Holstering should always be done slowly, deliberately and thoughtfully.

Unholstering is much less risk because of the direction the gun is going.

Just take your time getting it back in, if you aren't a cop and open carrying it for that reason you can spend an extra few seconds to do it right.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:18:41 PM EDT
[#50]
As a basic precaution cutting draw strings off things like fleeces and North Face pullovers (etc etc) is not a bad idea also.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top