Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2015 12:13:51 AM EDT
3rd GEN Glock 19.

installed standard height Meprolight tritium sites.
Gun shoots full 6 inches above point of aim at 70 feet.

SPEER 115 fmj, And Winchester 147 grain Ranger T, both printing a fat 6 to7 inches high

Measured sight radius 5.8"

70 feet = 840 "

Calculate 5.8" × 6" ÷ 840" = .041"

Front sight needs to grow about 40  thousandths TALLER, or rear needs to be .040 lower

This sounds rather extreme to me.

am I mistaken ?

meprolight Front site  appears about the same height as the plastic junk removed.

Anyone had this problem?

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 12:56:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Trijicon HD.......
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:25:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Where was it shooting before you replaced the sights?  Possible you got a set meant for .45/10mm Glocks?
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:46:08 AM EDT
[#3]
OEM plastic shot to center of the black at 20 yards.

Meprolights were packaged for 9mm and .40 cal Glock.

.Had the front tritium on for a couple weeks, had no problem hitting steel plates from 7 out to 50 yards, but never put the gun on paper

with just the front.

Drifted the rear tritium site in today, thought i had better print some paper targets...  I had a good steady hold, ass on the gound.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 2:28:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like they accidentally put a .45/10mm rear sight in the package, it's taller than the 9mm/.40 rear.  The front sight's the same height for all Glocks.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 2:54:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Always in the past used Trijicon, never had a problem.

First fo around with Meprolight.

Is Meprolight known to be  inferior ?
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 5:00:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I've had a set of Meprolight adjustable night sights on my Glock 19 for years.  It is a great piece of kit.  I would see if the vendor could swap you out for a replacement set.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 5:39:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Your sights are designed for a 6 oclock hold.

If that isn't what you want, you need to buy sights set for POA/POI hold.

On a side note, there is no way that 115gr 9mm and 147gr 9mm shoot to the same exact POI.  It is mechanically impossible.  They may both be within your margin for human error on the gun though...

Heavier bullets always shoot high but not that much....in 9mm, 147 is generally 3-4 inches higher than 115 at 25 yards.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 3:36:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Stock G19 rear sight height is .253 inches

Meprolight ML-10224 height is .273"

.020  taller

5.8" sight radius..

25 yards = 900 inches.

3.1" POI shift

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Ask C service (or most likely Technical section) what the exact height dimensions that their 9mm sight are. If they are the same as the one you have then you got the "correct" sight and ask what height front sights are available.

You might try not giving them the exact scenario information; the hypothetical that you are setting up another pistol and you need precise info for custom set-up or you could get the; Well how tall is your sight, oh ya that's right.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:30:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I have several Glocks with Meprolight sights on them. They all require me to use a 6 oclock hold.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 1:07:46 AM EDT
[#11]
OEM height for 9/40/357sig rear sight is .256" and for 45/10mm it's .272".  You accidentally got a .45/10mm rear sight.  Call Mepro or the vendor where you bought them and get a replacement.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Russel is exactly  on the money.

Have a call in to  " Dan" at the MAKO group, importer of all things Meprolight.

He is supposed to  email  me and  , hopefully ship me a  proper height rear sight.

. I am  hopeful that  this doesn't turn into a  long term, drawn out fiasco with MAKO group.

Will update thread with next comm.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Update:
Continued telephone comms with "Dan"  at MAKO

Dan is  supposedly contacting Meprolight, and  claims that  all  G19 rear sights are .263"  high, and  are sold in large number to many  customers at that dimension.

I am  now waiting for him to  get a  STOCK height ( .253")  Glock 19  sight with tritium inserts from Meprolight, and    make  exchange.

I am not  real optimistic.

.   Probably going to buy a set of TRIJICON, as I should have  initially.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Update: Continued telephone comms with "Dan"  at MAKO

Dan is  supposedly contacting Meprolight, and  claims that  all  G19 rear sights are .263"  high, and  are sold in large number to many  customers at that dimension.

I am  now waiting for him to  get a  STOCK height ( .253")  Glock 19  sight with tritium inserts from Meprolight, and    make  exchange.

I am not  real optimistic.

.   Probably going to buy a set of TRIJICON, as I should have  initially.

View Quote
Still waiting for  customer service.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:47:36 PM EDT
[#15]
That sucks.  If they never come through for you, Ameriglo sells front and rear sights separately so you don't need to buy a whole new set.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I know this isn't GD.
 I have TRIJICON  on...

I have a 11 sets of TRIJICON sights installed, without issue..

This is my FIRST  experience with  Meprolight.

Thought I would give them a try.

I am not pleased.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#17]
It has been another MONTH.

Still waiting.

NEXT set  of night sights will  come from TRIJICON, but I still expect   replacement  of   defective, out of spec  MEPROLIGHT rear sight.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:16:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It has been another MONTH. .
Still waiting.

NEXT set  of night sights will  come from TRIJICON, but I still expect   replacement  of   defective, out of spec  MEPROLIGHT rear sight.
View Quote

Takes about a year

I have meprolights on a G19 and no issues.

My last sight purchase was Ameriglo Spartan Tactical sights. I have not been to the range since I installed them but I like them; front dot is very easy to pick up.
You can see the similarities with Ameriglo  and Trijicon HD

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 5:07:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Inferior, umm no, they use the same Tritium as Trijicon uses. I've installed them on an M&P40c and a M&PShield .40... However, the first set they sent me was a rear only sight when I ordered just a front sight for the Compact. I called them, the guy was extremely nice, said to keep the rear and sent me the matching front the next day. So aside from the shipping mix up the sights on the Compact and Shield have been dead on at 25 yards, of which I set all my pistol's POA/POI for.

Someone may have gotten the packaging incorrect OP. Call them. If you have calipers use them and give the measurements to the customer care rep...

ETA: Disregard my post. I have/installed Ameriglo sites, not Meprolights. I don't know what I was thinking...
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:37:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I have calipers.

Rear  MEPROLIGHT  Sight is 020" taller than Glock OEM sight.

MAKO defense imports  Meprolight.

They  have a  " Customer Service " department.   ..    In Theory...
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have calipers.
 Rear  MEPROLIGHT  Sight is 020" taller than Glock OEM sight.

MAKO defense imports  Meprolight.

They  have a  " Customer Service " department.   ..    In Theory...
View Quote

Thanks for the measurement. The meps were consistently shooting high for me, Ithought it was just me but better shooters were getting the same results. I swapped out for Trijicon HDs, and the POI dropped to where itshould be.  I used to be a proponent of the Meps, as i like their somewhat brighter glow and lower cost, but I'm going to have to go back on that now. You get what you pay for in this case.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Meprolight sights shoot high for me as well on 9mm Glocks. Heines shoot even higher.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't know what anyone is talking about.  

I have Meprolights standard green/green night sights on every one of my glocks (except for the tall suppressor sights on one G17 and one G21).  That is eleven 9/40 size and three 45/10mm size currently.  Plus I have sold about a dozen pistols over the years and all of them had Mepros on them too. (Took them off and moved to the new pistols on many of them).  That is 15-20 sets of Meprolights over the years.

All of them have the proper rear sight height for their caliber, and every single one... I repeat... every single one, shoots dead on at 15 yards.  No 6 oclock holds, no 6" high..... DEAD ON.

Any one who has any different experience has done something wrong. Period.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:21:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have Meprolights standard green/green night sights on every one of my glocks (except for the tall suppressor sights on one G17 and one G21).  That is eleven 9/40 size and three 45/10mm size currently.  Plus I have sold about a dozen pistols over the years and all of them had Mepros on them too. (Took them off and moved to the new pistols on many of them).  That is 15-20 sets of Meprolights over the years.

All of them have the proper rear sight height for their caliber, and every single one... I repeat... every single one, shoots dead on at 15 yards.  No 6 oclock holds, no 6" high..... DEAD ON.

View Quote

I agree! Meprolights are very nice sights and there is a reason they come factory on H&K's, Glocks, Sig, Kimber uses vials, etc..... I do however agree that the MakoGroup customer support has been atrocious to use when it comes to getting things resolved. Ordered a set of Mepro's for my Glock 27 and showed in stock, no delivery, no delivery. Finally over a year it took me blowing up in a very respectful manner without resorting to anger to get them shipped. I went on the MakoGroup Industry link on www.ar15.com and messaged one of the guys that was helping people over the Magazine fiasco and he helped me out. Went as far as looking through a warehouse to find my package that was supposed to have shipped over a year ago. When I went to order sights for my new USPc .45 I chose Trijicon's for this reason and ended up sending them back as I did not like the sights/dots nearly as much as the Mepro's.  I'm going to order them from another vendor or probably just get them from eBay since I cant handle the way MakoGroup carry's on with this type of customer support.  

When I get a minute I will PM you the email and username of MakoGroup employee that helped me out, hopefully he is not who you have been already dealing with. In the mean time I would start a help thread in there industry page and let them know whats going on.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:26:50 AM EDT
[#25]
I see you have already posted the problem in the Industry link with no luck. Ill PM you my contact from them hopefully they work it out.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:24:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you actually read the entire thread?  The OP was accidentally shipped a .45/10mm rear sight instead of a 9mm/.40/.357 rear sight (.272" vs. .256" tall).  That's why the sights are shooting high.  Mepro sells a ton of sights, mistakes happen, I'm sure every sight manufacturer has made a similar mistake at some point.  I personally don't think they're worse quality than Trijicon; however, their horrible customer service in addressing the OP's issue would certainly make me think twice before ordering from them in the future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top