Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2015 1:57:10 AM EDT
Is there a hierarchy in price/quality for HK handguns? I primarily shoot 9mm and some .45, but there are so many choices... which ones stand out from HK?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:58:33 AM EDT
[#1]
VP9
Any of the USP series.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:16:26 AM EDT
[#2]
The USP was the thing that jumped out at me when I read the title. They've made much newer and improved pistols (hammer and striker fired) yet they still keep turning that thing out. I briefly owned a USP9 to see what the fuss was about and was incredibly unimpressed. The trigger is ok, the gun is blocky and not ergonomic (fucking huge for 15rds), it still has a stupid proprietary rail, etc. It just screamed hey, remember when you were a kid playing Rainbow Six on the Playstation? Well you've grown up and adapted since the 90s, the USP hasn't. The P30 and especially the VP9 I quite like, and I'm one of the rare people who LOVES the paddle mag release. HK makes good if pricey guns, but the older designs really do show their age.

e: Just to be clear, not hating on old designs. I love my revolvers and dig 1911s, but the USP just feels SUPER outdated, kind of like a cell phone or other high tech toy from the 80s or early 90s. Crazy cool at the time, but rapidly eclipsed and lacking many of the features of a "classic".
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:12:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is there a hierarchy in price/quality for HK handguns? I primarily shoot 9mm and some .45, but there are so many choices... which ones stand out from HK?
View Quote

Variety is the spice of life.

Current standouts are the USP Tacticals, especially if you shoot suppressed, the HK 45's, the P30's, and the new VP9 if you're looking for striker fired. There's also the Mark23.

The P2000 and P2000sk stand out as carry models, as well as the USP Compacts and HK45 Compact.

P2k is not available in .45
P30 not available in .45
HK45's only in .45
VP9 only in 9mm (for now)
Mk23 on in .45

There are also multiple flavors of trigger to fit your needs. Most often you see LEM versions which are a pre-cocked double-action, Classic double/single with safety/decock, and double/single with a decocker.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#4]
They discontinue guns..... VP70, P7 PSP/M8/M13, MK23 to name just a few.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
HK makes good if pricey guns, but the older designs really do show their age.
View Quote

Agreed. HK guns are great but not the end-all, be-all. Like you said, the size of USPs are really their biggest disadvantage. Some may say "overengineered" but whatever, there are smaller, better options today, both from HK and other manufacturers.

The only "classic" HK handgun is the P7, maybe because it's not a plastic gun. Small capacity, heavy metal, old design...hmm lots of the same arguments against 1911s, and like the 1911 it has a following of fans who assert that it just shoots better for them.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree with the above sentiments. I own two full size USPs (9mm LEM and .45); they are good shooters, but there are current production guns that have better ergonomics and shoot just as good as the old USPs...

Like the new VP9 and P30.

I also have an HK45-T and it has much better ergos than the "brick" USP45.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know!  I only have two PSP's and want a M13.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:03:22 PM EDT
[#9]
The USP proprietary light rail I think hurt them in them in the modern market.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#10]
USP Compact tactical.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#11]
The real answer is likely that if they are still servicing guns, like LEO or military contracts, then they might as well continue to make new parts and then selling them as new guns to civilians is easy.

When they no longer have to service them, they will probably discontinue more models.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

HK45 and VP9 get my vote with that criteria.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:26:46 PM EDT
[#13]
IMO a big reason HK still makes the USP & P2000 line is because of CA, none of their other fullsize pistols are legal here. Same with Glock and the gen3's.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They discontinue guns..... P7 PSP/M8/M13

This
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I sold my USP9 and didn't feel bad about it.

It was nothing special, other than my first dabbling in the HK world.

If they would put out a vp9 longslide, I would buy a new one tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:14:12 AM EDT
[#16]
USP Tacticals is where it's at.

LOVE my Tac 45.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:03:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The real answer is likely that if they are still servicing guns, like LEO or military contracts, then they might as well continue to make new parts and then selling them as new guns to civilians is easy.

When they no longer have to service them, they will probably discontinue more models.
View Quote

This. HK makes efforts to sell to civilians (much better than the 80s) despite Germany's anti-civilian sales laws. But, the company is still driven by .gov contracts. If they are still making an older gun, it is because they still have contracts for it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#19]
P9S
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Absolutely love my USPc 9mm. I probably shoot it better than any gun I own.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:55:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
IMO a big reason HK still makes the USP & P2000 line is because of CA, none of their other fullsize pistols are legal here. Same with Glock and the gen3's.
View Quote

And the LE contracts they have. HK has one with the P2000.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:20:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I got a USP 45 10+ years ago. Long story short, still carry it at work every day. I tried the HK45, but when I got the USP, the biggest downside to me was the loss of a round compared to the glock 21 it replaced. I just can't stomach a 10 round mag so the HK45 is a no go for me. I just picked up a V1 p30l in .40 (other job doesn't permit .45) and am looking forward to working a couple thousand down the pipe, but my USP just keeps trucking and is still dead nuts reliable and accurate.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:55:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup; big contract with DHS to provide their officers with P2000s.

Ask me how I know.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point, and reminds me I need to go check and see if my shop has any police trade-in USP
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:30:14 AM EDT
[#25]
I think the USPs get a bad rap for their ergonomics. Sure, they're a little blocky and have a needlessly high bore axis, but I find the 9/40s fit my hand and point pretty well. The .45 is big though, and despite the loss in capacity, the HK45 is probably the better gun for most people.

As for the P30s, I've shot a P30 and a P30S, both DA/SA (V3) and was left unimpressed by the spongy single action trigger with a long take up and reset. The USP trigger, particularly the match trigger, is much better. The nice thing about the HK45 is that it shares mostly the same trigger system as the USP. Maybe the LEM trigger is the way to go in the P30, but I prefer cocked and locked capability for a consistent trigger pull.

Also, I found the slide release on the P30 (non -S) to be too long and it was tough not to ride it with a thumbs forward grip. I have the same problem with SIGs.

There's still a place for the USPs, P2000s, and other older guns as long as people/agencies/departments keep buying them, which they appear to be doing. They're all quality guns.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

......a moment of silence for the P7..........

I won't carry anything else anymore. Considering the manual of arms I shouldn't.  

I can't believe how cheap those surplus PSPs were.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:54:22 PM EDT
[#27]
The USP still has alot of agencies and militaries still using it so they're not going to stop making them anytime soon.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:03:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
Which is sad because I believe honey were the first to have an integrated light rail on a factory gun.

The USP may be old and not as refined...but I doubt you will find another pistol as dependable, tough, and accurate as that one...I'd bet it could survive a nuke blast and still work.

Link Posted: 3/13/2015 7:23:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Which is sad because I believe honey were the first to have an integrated light rail on a factory gun.  

The USP may be old and not as refined...but I doubt you will find another pistol as dependable, tough, and accurate as that one...I'd bet it could survive a nuke blast and still work.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is absolutely true.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top