Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2015 9:24:38 PM EDT
Today I shot my new Bersa thunder .380 and a brand new S&W shield 9mm. I've never shot either of these guns before so I was excited.

I won't bore you with a drawn out range report, but a couple things shocked me pretty good.

1. the Shield malfunctioned for my wife, my 11 Year old Son, and my 15 year old daughter but not for me. I'm guessing it was limp wristing? I don't know, it worked fine for me but it wouldn't cycle or eject for anybody else. Before anybody says " you need to break it in".......why would I pay over $400 dollars for a gun that doesn't work right out of the box? I've never understood that. I expect a gun to work from the first round to the last regardless of who is shooting it. I was very disappointed. I liked everything else about it. It was accurate, smooth, felt good in my hand...but I can't own a gun that my family can't shoot. Sad.

2. My brand new, cheap ass, bersa .380 ran like a champ for everybody. My wife, who hates recoil, loved shooting it. Both my kids liked it and I absolutely love it. I know, I know, it's a .380, but man was it fun to shoot! For a cheapo gun I wasn't expecting much but it didn't have a single malfunction and impressed the hell out of me. More than accurate enough to boot.

Anywa, just venting. I really wanted to like the shield, and for the most part I do, but I can't trust it. Luckily it wasn't my gun.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Sample size of one each...same thing could have happened with a $4000 Wilson.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sample size of one each...same thing could have happened with a $4000 Wilson.
View Quote

True, but the Shield is probably one of the most tested and recommended guns on here. I didn't expect that kind of failure from a gun that is so popular and well reviewed.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I really like my Bersa Thunder .380.
This thread reminds me I should shoot it more.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:35:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Today I shot my new Bersa thunder .380 and a brand new S&W shield 9mm. I've never shot either of these guns before so I was excited.

I won't bore you with a drawn out range report, but a couple things shocked me pretty good.

1. the Shield malfunctioned for my wife, my 11 Year old Son, and my 15 year old daughter but not for me. I'm guessing it was limp wristing? I don't know, it worked fine for me but it wouldn't cycle or eject for anybody else. Before anybody says " you need to break it in".......why would I pay over $400 dollars for a gun that doesn't work right out of the box? I've never understood that. I expect a gun to work from the first round to the last regardless of who is shooting it. I was very disappointed. I liked everything else about it. It was accurate, smooth, felt good in my hand...but I can't own a gun that my family can't shoot. Sad.

2. My brand new, cheap ass, bersa .380 ran like a champ for everybody. My wife, who hates recoil, loved shooting it. Both my kids liked it and I absolutely love it. I know, I know, it's a .380, but man was it fun to shoot! For a cheapo gun I wasn't expecting much but it didn't have a single malfunction and impressed the hell out of me. More than accurate enough to boot.

Anywa, just venting. I really wanted to like the shield, and for the most part I do, but I can't trust it. Luckily it wasn't my gun.
View Quote

Please tell me you didn't pay over $400 for a NIB Shield.

ETA: guess prices have gone up since I got my Shield for $350 NIB.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:54:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:04:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Your family members aren't able to properly control the gun that is their failing. The gun store I used to work at stopped selling the micro Kahrs in 40 because he got sick of people complaining about them not working. He would take them out and they would function fine but the little guns require a very solid grip and control.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:10:00 PM EDT
[#7]
My wife does not like the Bersa even though she can shoot it just fine. She prefers the Beretta 92s surplus gun I bought for myself.

So, I carry the Bersa most days just because I can. Damn, I hate it when that happens. The Bersa has been great.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:05:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:08:00 AM EDT
[#9]
User error
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:41:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

User error
View Quote
Apparently there isn't much reliability margin.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:40:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Everything requires a break in period.  Matting machine parts to wear to each other.  .380 recoil impulse is different from 9mm.  Get a better grip.  It's all about technique or your lack of.  Train better.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:54:21 AM EDT
[#12]
GLOCK 41
For those of you who have been pleading for a Glock .45 to take on the longslide Model 1911s, your day has come. The Glock 41 Gen4 is actually a brand-new model chambered in .45 ACP. It’s built with a G34 slide width on a G21 Gen4 frame, saving 1.5 ounces over a standard G21 Gen4. It all boils down to a new Practical/Tactical model in .45, much like the Glock Model 34 and 35 (9mm and .40 S&W respectively). The benefits of the legacy Practical/Tactical models will carry over to the new G41, such as a maximized sight radius, improved weight distribution and a refined balance.

One of the added benefits of a slimmer slide mounted on a G21 Gen4 frame is the shelf created in and around the takedown lever. This shelf serves as a great spot to place your support-hand thumb to gain greater leverage and control over the pistol during rapid-fire strings. Glocks are one of the few pistols available with this feature.

G41 Specifications

Dimensions
Length (overall): 226 mm / 8.90 in.
Length (slide): 211 mm / 8.31 in.
Width: 32.5 mm / 1.28 in.
Height (with magazine): 139 mm / 5.47 in.
Barrel length: 135 mm / 5.31 in.
Length of twist: 400 mm / 15.75 in.
Trigger distance: 72.5 mm / 2.85 in.
Trigger travel: 12.5 mm / .49 in.
Barrel distance: 20 mm / 0.79 in.
Line of sight (polymer): 192 mm / 7.56 in.
Weight
Pistol without magazine: 690 g / 24 oz.
Magazine std. empty: 85 g / 3 oz.
Magazine std. full: 340 g / 12 oz.
Magazine Capacity (rounds): 13
Barrel Profile: right hand twist; octagonal
Standard Trigger Pull: ~5.62 lbs.
Muzzle Velocity*: 853 fps
Muzzle Energy*: 347 fps
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My wife does not like the Bersa even though she can shoot it just fine. She prefers the Beretta 92s surplus gun I bought for myself.

So, I carry the Bersa most days just because I can. Damn, I hate it when that happens. The Bersa has been great.
View Quote

The Bersa is a unsung hero among carry guns.  Many people here own and carry the Bersa Thunder 380 but few will admit it.

Ignore the S&W apologists and keep on using your Bersa.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:55:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I could never warm up to my Thunder.  One of only two guns I've ever sold.  The other was also a .380 (LCP).

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:38:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Bersas are super reliable firearms, but so are Shields. That fact that you, an experienced shooter, had no issues, means that it probably isn't the gun.

You want guns to break in. This makes them cheaper for us to buy. Trying to fit all the moving surfaces of a gun perfectly to each other raises the cost substantially, and does not always deliver the results you're looking for.

Wearing or breaking in a gun smooths out all the components so they work in harmony. A new gun right out of the box feels stiff and unnatural to me compared to a well loved and broken in gun.

A locked breach gun like the Shield is much more prone to limp wristing failures than a straight blowback .380 like a Bersa Thunder.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#16]
While I disagree with the premise that a gun shouldn't have to be broken in, I see no reason why the Bersa won't serve you and your family well.  Maybe get a couple more.  It has been said they're kind of unsung heroes and for as long as I've been shooting, they have had a good reputation.  

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/The%20Defensive%20380%20ACP-Capable%20Compact%20or%20Ballistic%20Loser.htm

Limpwristing is one of those things.  We should probably learn how not to do it, but it sure is nice if a weapon isn't prone to it.  Some will say ALL autos are prone to it, but obviously some may fair a little better than others.  For whatever reason.  And then there are revolvers.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Bersas are super reliable firearms, but so are Shields. That fact that you, an experienced shooter, had no issues, means that it probably isn't the gun.

You want guns to break in. This makes them cheaper for us to buy. Trying to fit all the moving surfaces of a gun perfectly to each other raises the cost substantially, and does not always deliver the results you're looking for.

Wearing or breaking in a gun smooths out all the components so they work in harmony. A new gun right out of the box feels stiff and unnatural to me compared to a well loved and broken in gun.

A locked breach gun like the Shield is much more prone to limp wristing failures than a straight blowback .380 like a Bersa Thunder.

View Quote

I suspected all along that it was user error causing the jams, not some mechanical malfunction. I'm not in a position financially where I can take my family to the range every week and fire thousands of rounds. THat would be awesome, but it just isn't realistic. So, when I buy a new gun, I need it to be able to function perfectly right out of the box for EVERYBODY in my household. THe bersa did that, the shield did not. It's a fine weapon and all, but if it doesn't perform up to par then it's not for me.

The Bersa, as others have stated, is a well kept secret but it's starting to get noticed now so I doubt the low price point will stick around for long. If you don't own one, go get one. Even if you don't pan to carry it it is a blast to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I suspected all along that it was user error causing the jams, not some mechanical malfunction. I'm not in a position financially where I can take my family to the range every week and fire thousands of rounds. THat would be awesome, but it just isn't realistic. So, when I buy a new gun, I need it to be able to function perfectly right out of the box for EVERYBODY in my household. THe bersa did that, the shield did not. It's a fine weapon and all, but if it doesn't perform up to par then it's not for me.

The Bersa, as others have stated, is a well kept secret but it's starting to get noticed now so I doubt the low price point will stick around for long. If you don't own one, go get one. Even if you don't pan to carry it it is a blast to shoot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't have to shoot it a lot of rounds to break it in. Most people say around 500, but honestly, if you dry fire the be-jesus out of it and rack the slide a whole bunch of times, it will accelerate the process. Then just go put 100-150 rounds through it and the gun will function a lot better. Also, show the rest of your family how to lock their wrists while shooting. Use ball and dummy with some snap caps to get the point across.

As important as a functioning gun is, proper marksmanship is also paramount.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I have not been able to cause a malfunction in several different Bersa .380's with different ammo mixes and intentionally trying to cause a malfunction.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#20]
People are not allowed to have a preference... if their opinion is different, it's because they are ignorant. You should know that by now.
I got my first Bersa in 1990 and have had a few over the years. NEVER had a problem except a broken spring on one after a few years. They are a nice pistol and freakishly reliable.
It's ok if they like it. It's ok to prefer something that isn't the darling of the internet.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:07:02 AM EDT
[#21]
I bought a Bersa Thunder .380 about 8 years ago, and it is still the only gun chambered in .380 that I have ever liked. I could shoot pop cans at 20 yards, and it was really good looking aesthetically. Never had a jam, but that was around 2007, I was still carrying a Ruger P345D, which was a product of new state gun legislation (not my state, but I loved that gun). I got the Bersa as a compact carry gun, but being a double stacked .380 it proved harder to conceal than the single stack Ruger, or even the Argentine full sized 1911 I would occasionally carry. Since it didn't fit it's role it got traded. Now there are other guns I would rather carry than the Bersa (the shield or XDs), but there are .380 rounds that meet the FBI minimums and for the money the Bersa will outlive your use for it. They do develop problems with small parts at higher round counts  though, but most people buying a 200$ .380 will never put 10,000 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:38:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
People are not allowed to have a preference... if their opinion is different, it's because they are ignorant. You should know that by now.
I got my first Bersa in 1990 and have had a few over the years. NEVER had a problem except a broken spring on one after a few years. They are a nice pistol and freakishly reliable.
It's ok if they like it. It's ok to prefer something that isn't the darling of the internet.
View Quote

Glad you guys like your Bersa's.  But preference isn't the reason people are questioning him.

OP says Shield "doesn't perform up to par", but has admitted previously that it was operator error.  How can you say something doesn't perform as well if it's operator error?  He likes the Bersa because everyone in the household can use it.  That's great.  I would spend more time on their technique if indeed it was causing issues on another platform, rather than ignore the problem because it can be masked.  

What do I know?  Just another dude with opinions.  

FWIW Op, I've never heard much bad about the Bersa pistols, and if it works for you, it works.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Why do these threads always turn into Us vs Them (S&W vs Bersa).  Both pistols sling copper coated lead just one the OP is having difficulties getting his family to operate the pistol correctly.  Maybe they are not being mindful of finger placement and are putting upward pressure on the slide stop, maybe they are limp wristing, or maybe the gravitational forces of the moon and sun are aligning at the same time everyone else is shooting the pistol and causing it to jam.  OP if they are having issues with the pistol dry fire practice with them observe their technique make sure they are following proper fundamentals.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Why do these threads always turn into Us vs Them (S&W vs Bersa).  Both pistols sling copper coated lead just one the OP is having difficulties getting his family to operate the pistol correctly.  Maybe they are not being mindful of finger placement and are putting upward pressure on the slide stop, maybe they are limp wristing, or maybe the gravitational forces of the moon and sun are aligning at the same time everyone else is shooting the pistol and causing it to jam.  OP if they are having issues with the pistol dry fire practice with them observe their technique make sure they are following proper fundamentals.

View Quote
Any topic about two brands will devolve into "us vs them".

I compete with a Smith and carry a Bersa. They've both been very kind to me and I shoot them until they are filthy, put them away, and don't clean them for long periods of time.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I compete with a Smith and carry a Bersa. They've both been very kind to me and I shoot them until they are filthy, put them away, and don't clean them for long periods of time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel like a moderator with some of my friends when one gets a Ruger and the other hates Rugers and start trash talking the other friends pistol..... Then I get to remind him that not one pistol is made for everybody and at the end of the day they all sling copper coated lead just the same.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Does it have to be copper plated? LOL.  I've slung just lead.  

460:  He didn't really state anything wrong.  The Shield didn't perform for the people in HIS family IN COMPARISON to the Bersa.  Sure, it might be their technique.  But one worked and one didn't regardless of how trained they are.  

It at least might mean that the shield may be more prone to jamming if limpwristed.  Maybe not once it's broken in.  I don't know.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

460:  He didn't really state anything wrong.  The Shield didn't perform for the people in HIS family IN COMPARISON to the Bersa.  Sure, it might be their technique.  But one worked and one didn't regardless of how trained they are.  

It at least might mean that the shield may be more prone to jamming if limpwristed.  Maybe not once it's broken in.  I don't know.
View Quote

Lead works too.... I suspect it is user error (OP stated worked 100% with him but not with anyone else) still on the shield I have seen experience shooters manipulate the slide stop during shooting causing the pistol to malfunction.  I had this issue with my PPS when I first started using the pistol I was thumbing the slide stop causing the pistol to never lock back or inadvertently lock back with ammo in the mag.  Once I realized I was the problem and adjusted my grip the problem went away completely.  This would come back to training the shooter to have proper grip and proper weapon manipulation not the pistols fault.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LMAO @ Bersa just "starting to get noticed now"

Where have you been for the past 20 years?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:14:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Lead works too.... I suspect it is user error (OP stated worked 100% with him but not with anyone else) still on the shield I have seen experience shooters manipulate the slide stop during shooting causing the pistol to malfunction.  I had this issue with my PPS when I first started using the pistol I was thumbing the slide stop causing the pistol to never lock back or inadvertently lock back with ammo in the mag.  Once I realized I was the problem and adjusted my grip the problem went away completely.  This would come back to training the shooter to have proper grip and proper weapon manipulation not the pistols fault.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For some reason my brain puts "riding the slide stop and not locking back on the last round" into a less crucial category than "fte's or stovepipes or any kind of jam from limpwristing.   Riding the slide stop is not really a malfunction, IMHO.  

Anyways...  I think the point I'm trying to make is that some designs don't or have less of a tenancy to malf from limpwristing, and that can be an upside to that particular platform.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, no, we agree sir. Don't misunderstand.  All weapons don't and won't work for all people.  That's why I mentioned for Op's purposes the Bersa seems to be a better fit.  The only issue I take with Op's premise is the way he's laid things out.  He says "his cheap Bersa outperformed", or he feels the Shield should be ready to go out of the box, or he just can't trust it...etc.  If he had said that after shooting both he found the Bersa to be a better fit for him and his family, I would have no issue.  But this thread almost seems like a slap at the quality of the Shield or the many owners who like them.  You know..."Well,....OH yeah,....my Bersa outperformed the Shield"  

Lol.  Maybe I'm reading too much into it.  But that's the way it comes across.  

FWIW, I don't own a Shield myself.  I was really interested in them until I played with one at the store.  The trigger reminds me why I sold my full size M&P years ago.  It was god-awful.  And while I was there I handled the new LC9s that I really liked.  Fit my hand better, and the trigger felt great.  But that's a pretty bad comparison and I would never say one was better than the other based off of that.

Bottom line is there is no one size fits all.  Get what you like, get what works for you and yours, and become proficient with it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:45:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I hear ya.  

It seems the shields have a good rep in most hands.  But that trigger complaint does seem to be a thing.  My Mom has a M&P 9 and my Step Dad had an M&P 45 and I never really felt that the trigger was bad.  It always seemed better than a Glock's to me.  But maybe they had some particularly good examples.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought my wife a Thunder .380 4 years ago for Christmas, and she loves it. It's a duo/bi-tone with the factory rubberized wrap around grips. I got it for her because she liked shooting my Makarov that's chambered in .380, but always had a hard time chambering a round as the recoil spring is pretty stiff. The Bersa is much more comfortable to shoot, easier for her to manipulate the slide, and she's really accurate with it too. As far as reliability is concerned, it's eats everything from my reloads, WW, and any number of SD ammo as well. I think there's only been one misfire and that was on a reload I did due to a light primer strike, which was due to the primer being seated too deep.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I love my Kahr CW380. I recommend Precision One ammunition. Recoil is very manageable and the round performs.

I loved my Shield, but I can understand not wanting to own a gun that your family can't operate. It's a little disingenuous to suggest it's the fault of the gun, though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#34]
User error, damn near guaranteed.

My first gun was a Glock 19... as a teenager I jammed that thing at least once every couple of mags. Why? Limp wristing. I was in denial...

Didn't change a damn part on the gun... just shot several thousand more rounds. Not a jam in 7 years.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Wouldn't a pistol that performs more reliably without specific techniques or training be superior to one that does?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:33:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Wouldn't a pistol that performs more reliably without specific techniques or training be superior to one that does?
View Quote

Only if that is the only criteria being applied and all other criteria including minimal or normal training (which would be the case here as there is no specific techniques required for either firearm) are being ignored.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:49:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No, no, we agree sir. Don't misunderstand.  All weapons don't and won't work for all people.  That's why I mentioned for Op's purposes the Bersa seems to be a better fit.  The only issue I take with Op's premise is the way he's laid things out.  He says "his cheap Bersa outperformed", or he feels the Shield should be ready to go out of the box, or he just can't trust it...etc.  If he had said that after shooting both he found the Bersa to be a better fit for him and his family, I would have no issue.  But this thread almost seems like a slap at the quality of the Shield or the many owners who like them.  You know..."Well,....OH yeah,....my Bersa outperformed the Shield"  

FWIW, I don't own a Shield myself.  I was really interested in them until I played with one at the store.  The trigger reminds me why I sold my full size M&P years ago.  It was god-awful.  And while I was there I handled the new LC9s that I really liked.  Fit my hand better, and the trigger felt great.  But that's a pretty bad comparison and I would never say one was better than the other based off of that.

Bottom line is there is no one size fits all.  Get what you like, get what works for you and yours, and become proficient with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I'm not slapping the quality of the shield itself. s I said before, I actually liked the gun. It shot well, felt balanced, was plenty accurate, and over all performed like a quality gun

My basic premise for this thread was that I was shocked that a bargain basement .380 seemed to perform better in my non-scientific test.

I don't think it's unfair to expect a brand new handgun to function perfectly out of the box. In fact, I would think that is kind of the benchmark for a quality handgun. There shouldn't be a breaking in period and limp wristing should not cause a malfunction in a gun that you may be using to protect your family.

If it was just me in the house I wouldn't hesitate to won a shield. But if my wife ever had to use it I'd be scared that it would malfunction because there's no way, with her physical limitations, that she can stop limp wristing enough to make the gun cycle correctly. I can train my kids to shoot it correctly given enough rounds, but my wife has nerve damage in her right hand so she can't really get a super firm grip on anything. Therefore, the Shield is not the right choice for ME.

I wasn't trying to bash shields at all.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#38]
I went from a Bersa .380 to a 9mm Shield, about a month before I got my CCL. Nothing against the Bersa, it's a great bargain, but I prefer the Shield and shoot it decently well. The price of 9mm ammo is also a plus.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#39]
I have actually always heard Bersa was a great bang for the buck.  I think I would call it inexpensive before I would call it cheap.  When I think "cheap" I think junk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top