Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a P3AT for those rare occasions when I can't carry a 1911 or Glock 19. I'm not a big fan of .380 cartridge or the P3AT, but it's better than nothing.  

I remember a time when my wife dispatched some old overgrown laying hen chickens with my .45 1911 from close range. The 230 grain gold dot punched straight through the chicken and out the back and the chicken just stood there like nothing happened and then walked around for a little bit before finally loosing enough blood to fall over dead.  My wife was shocked to say the least. She was expecting a Hollywood style response with the chicken being vaporized to bits from the .45 LOL
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a P3AT for those rare occasions when I can't carry a 1911 or Glock 19. I'm not a big fan of .380 cartridge or the P3AT, but it's better than nothing.  

I remember a time when my wife dispatched some old overgrown laying hen chickens with my .45 1911 from close range. The 230 grain gold dot punched straight through the chicken and out the back and the chicken just stood there like nothing happened and then walked around for a little bit before finally loosing enough blood to fall over dead.  My wife was shocked to say the least. She was expecting a Hollywood style response with the chicken being vaporized to bits from the .45 LOL
View Quote

Vaporized chicken would require a 4 bore or larger. Lol
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#3]
There are plenty of reliable 9mm sub-compacts on the market now. Personally. I would not carry a 380.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope but still would not want to get shot by one
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I carry a ppk/s quite a bit. Good balance of power, shoot-ability, and flatness.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#6]
The last few years I've carried a stainless Colt Gov .380 and in warmer months a stainless Mustang. I get lazy as far as carry goes, I'd much rather carry a 1911 or one my CZ's but they are just plain heavy. When things get uncomfortable, you need a work around. With +P ball ammo (100Gr copper clad Barnes over 8 grains of Blue Dot), I'm fairly sure you don't want to be down range...............
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:00:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I dont think I would go into an active combat zone with a 380 as my backup, but walking around town I feel the 380 is more than enough to deter criminal activity.
My favorite pistol is my Sig P238, and I carry it with Hydra Shoks...
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:01:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nope, no .380 for me. A co-worker recently emptied a Ruger LCP into a pissed off raccoon out at their farm. She said it hissed at her and took off, leaving her standing there with an empty pistol. She said she felt bad for not having something bigger to put it down.
View Quote

Did she really empty the Ruger LCP INTO the raccoon, or AT it?  Most would never admit they missed all their shots  :O)
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:15:03 PM EDT
[#9]
There are times a .380 makes sense. My wife and daughter are both small framed and handle their SIG 238s quite well. The reason they went with it is because they could "rack the slide" on that gun vs. others and feel comfortable shooting it (so they like to practice). IF they ever have to really use it, with adrenalin flowing, I'm sure  they will empty the magazine into the bastard.

Would I prefer they use a larger caliber- sure. My daughter also has a .38 special in her house, and I like it for her better. Are their even better choices??- sure. If I had my choice for close range, I'd prefer my registered (Form 4) MAC 10 with 20 rounds/second of .45ACP, but  while good at close range, a little large for carry.

Like some others I'd prefer any gun (any caliber) over nothing. If I don't get the bastard perhaps he'll/she'll (although less likely)) will need medical attention and at least have to account for their actions.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I must needs point out that the lowly .380 was good enough for Bond. James Bond, that is.

In fact, he was issued the PPK because it had (get this) more stopping power than his personal choice: the Beretta 418 in .25 ACP!

Fiction aside, there are good reasons to go with the .380: I worked for a woman with a slight build who carried a Beretta Tomcat, because of its tip-up barrel- no need to rack the slide to load. The Tomcat is a .32, but the Beretta 86 is the same system in .380. This feature alone assures the .380 a place. I'm not aware of any 9mm with a tip up barrel.
-as has been pointed out, threat assessment: my town is a low threat environment, and guns are heavy. I get tired of packing them. So far, my gun for when I don't want to carry a gun is a S&W model 60 3" in .357.
But I'm coming around to the idea that a 7 shot .380, used aggressively, would be a viable alternative. It would be better than a knife, which I am not trained to use. and it would be a true "pocket pistol".
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:07:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I must needs point out that the lowly .380 was good enough for Bond. James Bond, that is.

In fact, he was issued the PPK because it had (get this) more stopping power than his personal choice: the Beretta 418 in .25 ACP!
View Quote

Bond's PPK was chambered in 7.65m Browning, known as .32 ACP in the US.

In "From Russia with Love", M has Major Boothroyd issue Bond a Walther PPK and Boothroyd says:

"Walther PPK, 7.65mil with a delivery like a brick through a plate glass window"

Better than the .25 ACP in his Beretta, and a very sweet shooting pistol, but not a .380 ACP.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:13:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

In "From Russia with Love", M has Major Boothroyd issue Bond a Walther PPK and Boothroyd says:

"Walther PPK, 7.65mil with a delivery like a brick through a plate glass window"

Better than the .25 ACP in his Beretta, and a very sweet shooting pistol, but not a .380 ACP.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't Bond use a ppk/s in .380 in one of the newer movies?
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:30:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. In Skyfall, Bond meets Q in the museum. He is studying the Turner painting "The Fighting Temeraire". There is a subtle reference here to Bond's aging body: The painting shows a famous, aged warship, part of the British fleet at Trafalgar, being towed to its dismantling by a then-new steam tug.
Anyway, Q shows up and hands bond the pistol. He refers to it as "9mm short": .380.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:03:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes only because when you cannot carry something larger, a 380 is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:07:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nope, no .380 for me. A co-worker recently emptied a Ruger LCP into a pissed off raccoon out at their farm. She said it hissed at her and took off, leaving her standing there with an empty pistol. She said she felt bad for not having something bigger to put it down.
View Quote

Why would you believe such foolishness?
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 1:38:33 AM EDT
[#16]
In comparison the two shots from the .45 ACP would cut bigger holes and penetrate deeper, with an arguably better chance of immediate incapacitation, but on average they would probably be more survivable.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Are there better cartridges?…Sure.

The .380acp was nasty enough to start WWI.
And it's power is roughly comparable to a .36cal. lead ball from a Colt 1851…plenty of damage was done over the years with weapons such as these.

It all comes down to risk assessment.  
If I had to make regular trips through the hood, I'd be sure to be carrying a 9 or larger.  
OTOH, I'm 63 and have never even once in my life encountered a violent felon…nor have any of my friends….or family….because we have lived all our lives in one of the safest and most affluent parts of the country.

Your mileage may very well vary.
Carry what you think you'll need in a worst case scenario and don't worry about what someone else is comfortable with.

View Quote

This.

I'd rather be standing next to a good guy tossing 380 downrange with me than someone who is cowering behind me saying "I wish I brought my gun, but it's too heavy and uncomfy, I left it in the safe".

I carry a G42 daily. I don't travel to any part of town where I feel I would need more than that to just stay safe. That's my first line defense out of myself, stay away from known trouble areas. As far as my home is concerned, I have bigger hole punchers to use...
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm not a really big Glock fan, but the 42 is looking better everyday. Looks much better now that trigger upgrades are available.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 3:31:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Found out a good whack on the head with the dustpan / scoop combo used for sweeping up brass didn't deter him much either.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:25:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm almost positive someone has already posted a video for this, but the .380 Ammo Quest on YouTube sealed the deal for me. I've owned .380 micro pistols in the past and always carried that Hornady Critical Defense shit which turns out is actually shit ammo.

I feel confident carrying my Kahr CW380 with Precision One. Ironically, it is loaded with the Hornady XTP bullet, but the load is a performer. I see no reason to doubt the published results by ShootinTheBull who did the YouTube video I referenced. He tested A LOT of .380. The Precision One load consistently penetrated between 13"-14" in bare gelatin and the heavy denim test with expansion.

At this time, the CW380 is my jogging gun. It may see more time as a primary when the weather gets unbearably hot in Texas and a full on belt holster set-up is a real pain in the ass.

The G42 is a great .380 pistol even if it is a tad on the large side. My Kahr CM9 is about the same size as the G42, but it definitely has a little kick to it with 124 +p Gold Dots. The Kahr handles the Precision One load like a champ despite being so little. Accuracy is plenty sufficient.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm not carrying anything less than a 9, and normally a 45.  Light weight CCO really is not that hard to carry.

Carry what you are comfortable with.  I'm not comfortable with small caliber guns.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 11:05:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm not comfortable at all carrying a .380.

9mm is minimum for me.
View Quote

This.   .380's real problem is not expansion, it's penetration.  There are some big thugs in the big city, and I can't depend on 95 grains at 850 PFS to reliably get to the vitals.    115 grains at 1150 is a much better deal.    9mm is my street cartridge.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:03:06 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm not comfortable with the .380 for self defense but I do occasionally carry it when I just can't logistically carry anything else.   Sometimes I'll pocket carry an LCP as a back up when I have to off body carry my G27.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Saw a RO put three rounds of either 9mm or .40 S&W from his Glock into a rabid racoon at the range a few years ago from about eight feet. The 'coon just stood there for about 10-15 seconds before lying down to bleed out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really? I'm suspecting she may have been telling you a fecal tale.

Actually, having known her as long as I have, both inside and outside of law enforcement, I have no reason to suspect her of lying to me.

Saw a RO put three rounds of either 9mm or .40 S&W from his Glock into a rabid racoon at the range a few years ago from about eight feet. The 'coon just stood there for about 10-15 seconds before lying down to bleed out.
I've shot raccoon which was in the trap and hanging on his tendons with 5 shots of 22 LR solid in the head and body and he still was hissing at me. When he slow down I put final bullet directly in the brain which stopped him. They are tough and solid bullet is not the best stopper for sure

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:56:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Can you shoot it well / proficiently?

If yes, then you have made up for most of the shortcomings of the .380.
If no, then you need more practice and no different round will help you there.

Me personally, I think 9mm pocket guns have gotten pretty small lately so I wouldn't feel the need to go down to a .380

Sure beats using your fists though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:24:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I would not carry my 1911 as much as I should because it was heavy and very difficult for me to conceal and be dressed for the weather. I bought my LCP about 4 years ago as a duty backup and I carry the LCP all the time now. I figure it is a get off me gun, and I will be emptying the magazine at contact distance into the bad guys skull or groin box. Situational awareness will cover most everything else. Any gun on me is better than a gun left home. And i don't want to get hit with 6 or 7 Speer Gold Dots, ever.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:01:08 AM EDT
[#29]
I once saw a raccoon that needed a second burst of .50 machine gun fire before he'd go down.

I don't have any problem carrying a .32 ACP PPK.  It can be fired very quickly and accurately.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:04:11 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm fine with .380.  I've carried a few of the pocket varieties.  I do feel better with 9mm, THOUGH the G42 is SO soft shooting that it gave me more confidence than I had with a PF9 or PM9, which both felt snappy.  That said, I'd LOVE to get a Browning BDA (assuming they're 100% reliable).  12/13+1 would make me feel a lot more comfortable than the 7+1 I had in my LCP (with magguts).  

When carrying the .380, I'd run a Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator round in the tube, followed by Hornady FTP HPs.  I love the Lehigh ballistics, but I don't trust them feeding just yet--I think they should chamfer the tips at an angle to help with rotation and feeding.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top