Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2015 5:52:27 PM EDT
Hi all,

I have been looking at a list of potential buys and just can't decide which one (because right now only one purchase is all I really expect to have room for) I really want.  Here's the short list:

Sig P226 (MK 25) or P229
CZ-75
CZ P-07 or P-09
Browning Hi-Power (or clone)

My only two significant requirements are that it be a double-stack, and a reasonable adaptability to (and reliability for) concealed carry.  Cost of mags, accessories/modularity, and comfort of handling/shooting are also relevant, but not deal-breakers if they aren't "just right."  These relatively broad parameters have made it tough to decide, and I really shoulda solicited opinions on this a while ago.  

Here are some models I own, shoot well, and/or like a lot (in any caliber), to give you an idea of what I like and am used to:

Glock G17/19
Sig P220 (.45 ACP)
Taurus PT92/99
Browning Hi-Power
1911 (.45 ACP), and a 1911-ish frame in .357 Magnum

With that background in mind, what would you recommend?  I have heard and/or experienced great things about each of my candidate guns, and I have fired a P229 and Hi-Power (obviously) before.  It's been ages since I've fondled a new handgun so I'm using this year's tax return as a sort of celebration in getting to do that again.

...if none of the other options end up being a significantly better choice, I may just go the safe route and get myself another Hi-Power.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd throw CZ 75 P01 and CZ 75 PCR on the list of contenders.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I am generally open to any given CZ 75 frame.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#3]
H&K p2000 some poeple love them I think they are over priced.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 1:08:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Sig 226.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 2:55:41 AM EDT
[#5]
You definitely need a CZ.  I vote P-01.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Definitely" is good, but can you give a more specific reason as to why?
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#7]
HK VP9 and Walther PPQ should be on your list.  The PPQ is a little smaller, but really needs night sights (or other replacement sights) for carry.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just hold one and you'll know why.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#9]
The P01 is a very good choice.  Shoot one if you can.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 10:27:44 PM EDT
[#10]
The MK 25.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alright, I shall try to do so in the immediate future.  Hope I can find a local store where one's in stock...
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 4:49:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I vote P07.  Cheapest on your list so more money for ammo.  Adjustable grip inserts to fit your hand.  Takes regular 75B mags, but they do stick out past the grips but for $25 range mags they work fine.  Can use the decocker or carry cocked and locked.  Same overall size as the Glock 19.   Cajun Gun Works has aftermarket upgrades if you want to work on it.  

If you are 1911/Hi Power fan I did not like the position of the PO1 decocker lever.  It is right where I lay my thumb on a 1911/Hi Power.  The P09 is a full size handgun and mags are $45 plus a piece.  David
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 5:02:42 AM EDT
[#13]
CZ75B or Walther PPQ.  I own both of these and they're great guns.

ETA:  Sig P228
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Update:

Went to a local store to do some handling.

CZ selection was limited, got to handle a P-07 SAO and a P-09 SA/DA.  Liked the P-07 a lot, though the safety seemed like it'd take more getting used to than I thought it would.  No CZ-75s, and no CZs at all at the rental counter.  

Handled a .40 P226, did not like (waaay too heavy).  Saw a 320 and did not ask to handle it- and now kinda regret it.  

Also saw a Walther PPQ and PPX but thought they reminded me too much of a Hi-Point (which I am not actually opposed to, but the appearance was off-putting).
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Sig P226 of that list gets my vote.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:33:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Update:

CZ selection was limited, got to handle a P-07 SAO and a P-09 SA/DA.  Liked the P-07 a lot, though the safety seemed like it'd take more getting used to than I thought it would.  No CZ-75s, and no CZs at all at the rental counter.  

Handled a .40 P226, did not like (waaay too heavy).  Saw a 320 and did not ask to handle it- and now kinda regret it.  

Also saw a Walther PPQ and PPX but thought they reminded me too much of a Hi-Point (which I am not actually opposed to, but the appearance was off-putting).
View Quote
switch the safety to the decocker on the CZ
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:59:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Sig320 compact might be an interesting choice

They get great reviews and you can play in the modular game.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Update:

View Quote

This is what I think too, people really seem to like them but something about the aesthetics seems way off. Probably a fine shooting pistol but I can't get past the design.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:47:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I can see that you might call the PPX High Point like, but the PPQ looks nothing like a High Point, or a PPX for that matter.

The PPX is the worst looking Walther ever devised though, I agree with that.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:58:37 PM EDT
[#20]
M&P 9c, .40c, or .45c

They all readily accept the full size magazines of their 'big brother'.

With or without thumb safeties and fully ambidextrous.

Lots of aftermarket upgrades - APEX trigger parts and night sights.

Readily available holsters.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm partial to the P226
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#22]
CZ p01. Double stack. Only 2oz heavier than a glock 19 loaded, and based on the results released from the nato testing it is one of the most reliable pistols on the market.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
CZ p01. Double stack. Only 2oz heavier than a glock 19 loaded, and based on the results released from the nato testing it is one of the most reliable pistols on the market.
View Quote

yep, almost as reliable as that 2oz lighter Glock
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Describe your current hi-power. Maybe spend money on customizing it; sights, trigger, safety, stippling, etc
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. Glock has never gained an NSN number. So i'll leave the tuperware for the kitchen.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:28:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Yeah. Glock has never gained an NSN number. So i'll leave the tuperware for the kitchen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you being sarcastic? NSN 1005-01-571-9875

Not that having an NSN means anything, but Lots of guys in A-Stan carrying glocks.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#27]
hmm. looking through the NSN on that (i'll concede I never knew they had earned one) they never released their test results. CZ actually released their results, and they greatly surpassed all of the requirements.

http://cz-usa.com/press-release/cz-p-01-gets-nato-approval-the-next-generation-of-perfect-pistols/

The most impressive part was the Reliability:
The reliability requirements for the P-01 pistol are 99.8%, that’s a .2% failure rate.
This equals 20 stoppages in 10,000 rounds or 500 “Mean Rounds Between Failure” (MRBF)
During testing, the average number of stoppages was only 7 per 15,000 rounds fired, this is a .05% failure rate, a MRBF rate of 2142 rounds! Over 4 time the minimum acceptable requirement.
The U.S. Army MRBF requirement is 495 rounds for 9mm pistols with 115 grain Ball ammunition.

Until Glock releases their results then I will assume they met the minimum of 495, but did not exceed it to the extent that the P01 did.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I vote for the PCR or the all steel compact.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Until Glock releases their results then I will assume they met the minimum of 495, but did not exceed it to the extent that the P01 did.
View Quote
Why would you assume that?

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:30:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Companies like to brag when they do something well. Not so much when they meet minimum.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#31]
In that case, didn't Canik TP9's go 20K rounds before failure in their testing in Turkey?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
In that case, didn't Canik TP9's go 20K rounds before failure in their testing in Turkey?
View Quote

I've only read about a 2K round test from luckygunner or someone like that. I'd love if more companies would publish their results of MRBF. It would be nice to know.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:20:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Going to go out on a limb and jump on the Canik bandwagon after just picking one up myself.

http://www.jgsales.com/canik-55-stingray-c-semi-auto-compact-pistol,-9mm,-3-5-8-barrel,-black,-new.-p-57900.html
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Companies like to brag when they do something well. Not so much when they meet minimum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats quite a leap. I suppose its yours to make though. I'd expect any mature service 9mm design to do similarly well with MILSPEC 9mm ball ammo, and there are plenty of examples out there of guys putting tens of thousands of rounds through their 9mms without failure. I'd be more interested in tests with HP ammo personally.

ETA: I went and read that "test result" and I find it ... disingenuous.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:23:16 AM EDT
[#35]
I picked up a CZ75 yesterday.

It's one hell of a shooter.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:40:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Grand Power.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:24:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I picked up a CZ75 yesterday.

It's one hell of a shooter.
View Quote

I wish I could find a CZ anything local
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 1:15:09 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Going to go out on a limb and jump on the Canik bandwagon after just picking one up myself.

http://www.jgsales.com/canik-55-stingray-c-semi-auto-compact-pistol,-9mm,-3-5-8-barrel,-black,-new.-p-57900.html
View Quote

Should have waited. TP9SF will come out this fall. Much better than the current batch. No declocker, better trigger, and no load indicator. That's the one you want.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Describe your current hi-power. Maybe spend money on customizing it; sights, trigger, safety, stippling, etc
View Quote

I thought about that, but I don't really feel the need/desire to do anything to it beyond maybe putting night sights on it (which I am not in a hurry to do, either).

For whatever reason, I like most of my not-specifically-for-regular-carry guns to be as close to stock as possible.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Should have waited. TP9SF will come out this fall. Much better than the current batch. No declocker, better trigger, and no load indicator. That's the one you want.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Canik I bought was actually a Tristar p120 for about $140 more than the pistol I linked.
Just saying, for $319, seems like alot of pistol at a low price.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 11:09:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

The only S&Ws I like are the revolvers.  Looks like a nice piece you got there, though!
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#43]
You're doing yourself a disservice by not including the HK VP9.

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:13:38 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

You're doing yourself a disservice by not including the HK VP9.

View Quote
+1

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 7:14:46 AM EDT
[#45]
GD responses belong in GD - Maynard
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top