Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2015 12:37:30 AM EDT
I got a new shield 9mm last week and since I got it I have put 350 rounds through it with two failures to eject. My first range trip I shot 150 rounds. The first 50 were WWB 124's, followed by 100 American Eagle 124 FMJ's. The FTE in this range session occurred around round 70.

The FTE looked like this (not my pic)

Today, I took the gun out again and put 200 rounds through it. I had another FTE at around round 70 again, than put 130 more rounds through without a problem. This picture I took today of the FTE.

I would really like to get this resolved, although I feel like it may just need to break in being that it's a small gun with fairly tight springs. I do not think it's due to limp wristing as my form is good and I am only getting failures once every hundred rounds or so. When I tried to limp wrist it on purpose, I got no failure. I also let me girlfriend take a crack at it, and she had no failures either. Could it be due to the American eagle? Should I start buying cases of WWB instead? It's my carry piece so I really need to get some consistency out of it.

ETA: I do not recall which mag I was using for the first FTE but today it occurred with the 8rd mag. I used this mag for the rest of the session to try and recreate the failure but I got over 100 more rounds with no failures.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:04:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a few fte with my Shield in the first few hundred rounds. They all were American Eagle rounds. After 500 rounds I have not had anymore. Don't know if the AE was the problem or if it was just break in. No other ammo failed though. I have not had a failure after 500 rounds, Probably close to 1300 rounds through it at this time. Someone else may can point to some other problem though.

ETA: mine is 9mm as well
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:41:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a few fte with my Shield in the first few hundred rounds. They all were American Eagle rounds. After 500 rounds I have not had anymore. Don't know if the AE was the problem or if it was just break in. No other ammo failed though. I have not had a failure after 500 rounds, Probably close to 1300 rounds through it at this time. Someone else may can point to some other problem though.

ETA: mine is 9mm as well
View Quote

That's reassuring. Thanks. Maybe I'll find a new practice ammo. What are you shooting instead of AE?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:53:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I've found American Eagle to be pretty weak. WWB is dirty and sometimes the OAL fluctuates, but it has always ran well for me.

I wouldn't worry too much about 2 FTEs in 350 rounds on a new compact pistol, especially on possibly suspect ammo.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:50:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've found American Eagle to be pretty weak. WWB is dirty and sometimes the OAL fluctuates, but it has always ran well for me.

I wouldn't worry too much about 2 FTEs in 350 rounds on a new compact pistol, especially on possibly suspect ammo.
View Quote

Ok thanks for the feedback. What would you recommend as a decent, reliable practice ammo? I'm pretty new to the 9mm game and have always just used AE
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:01:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I use some Wolf steel case and as Daytona said the WWB is a little dirty but runs well. I still use the AE also. Failures just give you an opportunity to practice clearing failures.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:02:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I use some Wolf steel case and as Daytona said the WWB is a little dirty but runs well. I still use the AE also. Failures just give you an opportunity to practice clearing failures.
View Quote

Very true about clearing failures. I'm happy to get my practice with that as soon as I know it's the ammo, not the gun.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:22:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd just keep putting rounds through it. I think your problem will disappear. The trigger will smooth out as well. I really like my Shield.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:29:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd just keep putting rounds through it. I think your problem will disappear. The trigger will smooth out as well. I really like my Shield.
View Quote

I love this thing. And it conceals like a dream compared to my old Glock 26. Love it. Shoots very well for me too. I really do like the gun.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:32:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Run a few boxes of priv, speer, or winchester nato, leave the slide locked open for a few days.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:16:37 AM EDT
[#10]
With 350 rounds, it is about as broke in as it is going to get.  If it works with WW115FMJ, the mechanism is working.

American Eagle is about as mild a 9mm as you can find, but it should still work.  Individual rounds are sometimes weak axxed.

More important at this moment, is how did it work with the 200 rounds of self defense ammo you shot through it before even considering carrying it?

Oh, haven't gotten that far yet.  Got it.  You need to do that in order to rationally carry it.

Actual help reference:

MY SHIELD had one failure to eject somewhere in the first 200 rounds after it was dirty and dry.

Since then it has fired over 1000 rounds of this and that and the other including very weak reloads without a bobble.

It ate 200 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense 115 grain ammo perfectly.

Early on in the first 200 rounds it would not feed Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain ammo to even fire it.  No clue.  Go figure.  I just didn't even try to cycle that stuff.  The shape was wrong somehow.  Everything else fed from the magazine.  The HCD135 never got to the chamber to fire using the slide release.

As to limp wristing, the Shield doesn't display that tendency.  I have loaded 115FMJ and 124LRN 9mm with 3.5 grains of Bullseye for a very mild practice load.  Both are under 1000fps.  The Shield fires and spits them out just fine.  Hotter loads using 4.1 grains just eject farther.  Hotter factory ammo just ejects farther.

My suggestion:  Shoot another 200 WW115FMJ so YOU know it works and then actually test it with your carry ammo.  Or as suggested, use some other test ammo besides WW or AE.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Check to make sure your thumbs are not interfering with the slide stop or slide, make sure the pistol is properly lubed, keep shooting some pistols have teething issues early on since everything is tight and new.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:24:49 AM EDT
[#12]
That second FTE is strange, is that exactly how it failed or did you lock the slide back?

Koz
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Small autos don't work well.  Get a revolver.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
With 350 rounds, it is about as broke in as it is going to get.  If it works with WW115FMJ, the mechanism is working.

American Eagle is about as mild a 9mm as you can find, but it should still work.  Individual rounds are sometimes weak axxed.

More important at this moment, is how did it work with the 200 rounds of self defense ammo you shot through it before even considering carrying it?

Oh, haven't gotten that far yet.  Got it.  You need to do that in order to rationally carry it.

Actual help reference:

MY SHIELD had one failure to eject somewhere in the first 200 rounds after it was dirty and dry.

Since then it has fired over 1000 rounds of this and that and the other including very weak reloads without a bobble.

It ate 200 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense 115 grain ammo perfectly.

Early on in the first 200 rounds it would not feed Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain ammo to even fire it.  No clue.  Go figure.  I just didn't even try to cycle that stuff.  The shape was wrong somehow.  Everything else fed from the magazine.  The HCD135 never got to the chamber to fire using the slide release.

As to limp wristing, the Shield doesn't display that tendency.  I have loaded 115FMJ and 124LRN 9mm with 3.5 grains of Bullseye for a very mild practice load.  Both are under 1000fps.  The Shield fires and spits them out just fine.  Hotter loads using 4.1 grains just eject farther.  Hotter factory ammo just ejects farther.

My suggestion:  Shoot another 200 WW115FMJ so YOU know it works and then actually test it with your carry ammo.  Or as suggested, use some other test ammo besides WW or AE.
View Quote

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to be testing my carry ammo in this gun before I carry it, but I wanted to wait until I figure out if the gun is having issues before I drop 175 dollars worth of hollowpoints into it. When I said it conceals like a dream, that just means I've messed around with it on my body at home, not that I've started carrying it daily yet.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:28:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That second FTE is strange, is that exactly how it failed or did you lock the slide back?

Koz
View Quote

That's exactly how it failed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:38:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

So the whole market around making compact auto pistols is a sham?  The hundreds of thousands if not millions of compact auto pistols that are sold do not work well but yet they have been made since the days of John Browning till now ...... that statement is way to contribute to a tech forum talk.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Check to make sure your thumbs are not interfering with the slide stop or slide, make sure the pistol is properly lubed, keep shooting some pistols have teething issues early on since everything is tight and new.
View Quote

I'll keep an eye on my thumbs. I could see that being a problem on a small gun like this.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Koz
View Quote
The slide is caught on the round in the magazine, which can't go up into position because the spent brass hasn't ejected. Extraction without ejection is usually too much spring and too little powder, or limp wristing disturbing the regular firing operation.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:13:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The slide is caught on the round in the magazine, which can't go up into position because the spent brass hasn't ejected. Extraction without ejection is usually too much spring and too little powder, or limp wristing disturbing the regular firing operation.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Koz

I'm going to look for some more powerful practice ammo.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#20]
So the whole market around making compact auto pistols is a sham? The hundreds of thousands if not millions of compact auto pistols that are sold do not work well but yet they have been made since the days of John Browning till now ...... that statement is way to contribute to a tech forum talk.

Essentially true in various degrees for various brands using various ammunition supposedly made for that firearm.  People put up with half arsed function due to thinking there is nothing better and liking the flat thin little semi autos.  They also make a lot of excuses on why a failure to function doesn't really count.

The simple truth is that the smaller the semi auto pistol the less likely it is to operate trouble free.  The Shield 9mm is a fairly large "small" pistol and it works.  It is also the first "small" pistol  that has actually worked after what is now three years of looking for a modern design pocket gun.  The Shield 9mm will barely fit into a front pocket, but it qualifies.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Those pics look very familiar.  

I went through the same process when my Shield was new.  I was having the same malfunction with various ammo.  Federal, Winchester, and even Remington Golden Saber.  Bullet weights were 115 and 124 grain.  I think I counted about 5 different times in the first 350 rounds.  And yes, I had no confidence in the Shield.  On mine, I narrowed the issue down to the 7 round magazine.  I never had an issue with the 8 round mags.  I had purchased additional magazines and stared to keep tract of which individual magazine caused the issue.

I spent a few more range sessions just using the two 7 round mags I have.  I have had zero issues since then.  I have about 650 rounds thru my Shield now, and have not had any issues with the last 300 rounds.  I don't know what changed.  Maybe the recoil springs broke in, maybe the magazine springs did too.  I still want to run more ammo thru the gun before I'll fully trust it but for me, the issue has seemed to just go away.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Those pics look very familiar.  

I went through the same process when my Shield was new.  I was having the same malfunction with various ammo.  Federal, Winchester, and even Remington Golden Saber.  Bullet weights were 115 and 124 grain.  I think I counted about 5 different times in the first 350 rounds.  And yes, I had no confidence in the Shield.  On mine, I narrowed the issue down to the 7 round magazine.  I never had an issue with the 8 round mags.  I had purchased additional magazines and stared to keep tract of which individual magazine caused the issue.

I spent a few more range sessions just using the two 7 round mags I have.  I have had zero issues since then.  I have about 650 rounds thru my Shield now, and have not had any issues with the last 300 rounds.  I don't know what changed.  Maybe the recoil springs broke in, maybe the magazine springs did too.  I still want to run more ammo thru the gun before I'll fully trust it but for me, the issue has seemed to just go away.
View Quote

That's kind of what I'm hoping for, that the issue will just resolve itself.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:23:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Mark the mags and keep records or else all you make is noise.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/148288_Beginner_Level_Set_Up_Of_A_New_Pistol.html
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Mark the mags and keep records or else all you make is noise.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/148288_Beginner_Level_Set_Up_Of_A_New_Pistol.html
View Quote

Yeah I made a mistake in not recording which mag the failure occurred with the first time. The second time I recorded the failure with both photo and marking which mag it was. I only have two mags for the gun at this point and they distinctly different. definitely should have paid more attention to the first failure.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#25]
a few others are reporting the same issue, especially with WWB.  

arfcom thread with external links discussing shield fte issues
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Koz

It just seemed odd that if the slide made it back far enough to start stripping the next round that the fired casing  would still be in the chamber.

Did the extractor slip off of the fired case?

Did the fired case extract all of the way out and then go back into the chamber before the magazine could start feeding the next round?

Just looks odd I guess.

Koz

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I use WWB to break in all my 9mm handguns.  I then use my reloads that are relatively hot but hit the same place my carry load of Winchester 115 grain HP hits.  However I've also used Federal and Lucky Gunner.com reloads with good effect also.  I don't count failures in any gun for the first 200 rounds.  I have found that grease on the rails rather than oil does give a superior lube and will cut down on problems.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#28]
First took mine out with WWB and herters, no problems.  Agree with others AE is weak, try others and keep shooting it to break it in.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:37:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
First took mine out with WWB and herters, no problems.  Agree with others AE is weak, try others and keep shooting it to break it in.
View Quote

I'm going to put a couple hundred more rounds through it maybe tomorrow and see what happens. Too bad I have about 700 rounds of AE left lol.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#30]
I had a few FTE'S in my Shield and sent it back to S&W on their dime.  It was returned a few weeks later and has not had an issue since.  I think they put a new barrel on, but the repair order mentioned extractor.  Regardless, the problem is fixed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:52:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I had a few FTE'S in my Shield and sent it back to S&W on their dime.  It was returned a few weeks later and has not had an issue since.  I think they put a new barrel on, but the repair order mentioned extractor.  Regardless, the problem is fixed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

If things don't change by the end of this case of ammo that'll be the next thing I do.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Check your grip.
Try hotter ammo.
Keep shooting.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

1950 called it wants its mindset towards defensive handguns back.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 1:26:08 AM EDT
[#34]
That extractor doesn't look right.  My guess is it isn't holding onto the rim very well and it won't matter what ammo you use.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:53:49 PM EDT
[#35]
It's not the ammo.  

I've shot literally 10s of thousands of rounds of WWB and AE and have had exactly 4 smashed cases on WWB from one box.   In over 10 years of competition and training I've had 9 bad rounds.  I have never noticed and ammo any cleaner or dirtier, it all works.  

I've used Glocks, Sigs, Berettas, HiPowers, and all manner of 1911s.   NEVER had a gun that needed to 'break in', never had one that didn't run, fix itself with ammo.

4 WWB 9mm smashed case mouths (shell plate out of time at factory)
3 dud primers with some old 9mm Blazer Alumimum
2 cases with no extractor groove, 45ACP TULA
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Never had any issues with the 2 that I have.

I dunno if it has anything to do with it or not, but the recoil spring is very stiff.

I say shoot it some more.

I put one of these in mine and now my son is putting one in his.
Works great, but I have not tested it with +P ammo.

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Took my 9mm Shield out this morning. Another 150 rounds thru it without issue. Included in that was a box of Golden Saber 124gr.

Like the OP, I had a few failures to extract / eject in the first 350 rounds.  Since then I've put another 500 rounds thru the gun with no issues.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 8:12:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, because it's hilarious!
Find some 124gr Nato.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top