BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

wow, nothing like having a 1911 smack you in the elbow all day long...
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:26:33 AM EDT
[#2]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SGB, man that looks like it rides high.  And no forward cant?  Maybe the higher ride keeps it tighter to the body if you're sitting?
http://oi46.tinypic.com/10z623b.jpg

http://oi47.tinypic.com/sptzxu.jpg

I'm looking for something like that can you provide some more information?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:38:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I've carried a few different guns over the last 10 years...full sized 1911s, CCO sized 1911, and just about every model Glock 9mm, 40, and 10mm (no 24 or 17L though ).  My experience carrying a full size gun:

- Patterned shirts in darker colors help making minimal printing MUCH less obvious.  I prefer cotton (not lightweight Dry-Fit or Under Armor) golf shirts.  Obviously you can carry almost anything you want in the winter time under even a fairly lightweight jacket.  You aren't going to wear skinny jeans and form fitting "athletic cut" T-shirts while carrying a full sized gun concealed.  At some point, you're going to bend, reach, or something in a way that causes the grip to print, and certain clothes are going to make it better than others.
- Carrying on the hip IWB or OWB using a good holster and belt can work OK unless you bend over.  Working in a gun store and bending down to stock shelves comes to mind.  Back then I didn't care because no one is shocked to see a guy carrying a gun in a gun store.  Now that I don't work in a gun store any more, I just try to squat instead of bending over whenever I'm carrying on my hip.  I was also "made" early on by a coworker in the gun store when I was sitting on a bar stool behind the counter logging in some guns.  I was leaned forward concentrating on the log book, and the grip of my Kimber was standing out like a sore thumb.  I just try to avoid chairs without backs now.
- AIWB with a "wedge" of some kind to tuck the grip into my body has worked very well lately even under a T-shirt (carrying a G17).  I will probably go back to my G19 and G26 once the weather warms up, but honestly over the last month or so a G17 with an APL (carried in a custom AIWB holster from NUoSU Concealment) has been a solid performer as "one gun to do it all".
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#5]
The smallest handgun that I own is a Glock 19, which I find carries very well either IWB strong-side or in the appendix position.  Probably 85% of the time, I carry my railed Colt Government Model 1911, either with or without a Streamlight TLR-1s light affixed.  It carries just as well, and I find it more comfortable due to its thinner nature, despite being lager overall and heavier.  On Wednesdays, I carry my 4" barreled Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum, and in a leather single-belt-clip IWB holster from Don Hume, I conceals nicely underneath an untucked shirt.  The only pistol that I have which I find 'hard' to carry concealed is my Glock 17.  With that pistol, the combination of the width and length of the grip cause it to print significantly more than my other handguns.  The only thing worse was when I was deployed to Kuwait, and I would have to carry an M9 while in civilian attire.  The Marine Corps does not issue concealment holsters, and I had to adapt an issued SERPA holster to belt use and hide the pistol under a hoodie.  THAT was rough.

Just like everyone else has said, the belt and holster that you use make all the difference.  You style of dress is also important, and if you don't dress in a manner that is conducive to carrying a meaningfully-sized pistol concealed on your person, you're going to have a bad time of it.  If you can't or won't alter your style of dress and you work and/or live in a non-permissive environment, you may need to step down to a smaller firearm.  That said, your body type is also important.  Bluntly, if you're in halfway decent shape, life is going to be much easier.  I work on the civilian side as the manager of an indoor shooting range and as a firearms instructor, and I see lots and lots of people who complain that full-sized handguns are impossible to carry well because they're fat.

So, here are my bullet points:

-Stay in shape.
-Use a tough, rigid belt.
-Select a good-quality, non-collapsing holster.
-Dress appropriately for your method of carry.
-Find the pistol that best fits your needs.
-Don't carry at the small of your back or too far behind your hip.

Basically, that last one means that you need to understand how the length, width, weight, and height of your pistol will interact with what you're wearing.  I can very effectively conceal a 5" 1911 with a flashlight in the AIWB position, but I can't do the same with a Glock 17, even though it's lighter and shorter; it's just too thick to avoid printing.  If I step down to a non-light-equipped Glock 19, I have no trouble.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:21:35 PM EDT
[#6]
This is turning into more of do as I do, and not being directly helpful at all. How about we support each other and not command them to do otherwise? Some people will have weight, not because they're lazy but injuries do happen and instead of being condescending, we should be more supportive.

AWIB carry, nope! The worst place I could ever want to consider a having a gun holstered. What is the only way of doing things for you isn't the only way for others, so keep that in mind and life will be okay.

Carrying in the back is fine.

Holster where you can do it as it pertains to your own life and its environments. I'll holster it where I want and carry what I want and wear the appropriate clothes. If I wear just jeans and a t shirt, I couldn't give any fucks for and will just disregard someone who considers that in the same category as a baggy pant underwear showing flat brimmed hat wearing idiot.

A good holster and belt is very important. Adapt to your size and waist, and go from there.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:02:50 PM EDT
[#7]
This time of year I often carry a 5" Kimber with no problems. Under a long coatt or shirt it is not noticeable.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:27:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm all for other's opinions and such, but IMO small of the back carry is an awful idea. All it takes is one wrong fall to paralyze a person. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:31:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm all for other's opinions and such, but IMO small of the back carry is an awful idea. All it takes is one wrong fall to paralyze a person. YMMV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, YMMV is correct.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:00:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted: I work on the civilian side as the manager of an indoor shooting range and as a firearms instructor, and I see lots and lots of people who complain that full-sized handguns are impossible to carry well because they're fat.
View Quote

They're idiots then, because I'm fat and my 2 main carry guns are a 5" 1911 and a 4" S&W N frame.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:14:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you fall from high enough to break your back then a handgun in SOB carry isn't going to make much of a difference.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:42:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They're idiots then, because I'm fat and my 2 main carry guns are a 5" 1911 and a 4" S&W N frame.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: I work on the civilian side as the manager of an indoor shooting range and as a firearms instructor, and I see lots and lots of people who complain that full-sized handguns are impossible to carry well because they're fat.

Can you please post pic's of your guns on you in the concealed position ?

I have a couple buddies who could use a method that actually conceals comfortably.

Thanks !
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I carry an 9mm XDM 4.5 inch, everywhere, OWB as well as middle of my back, when I can't wear clothing that conceals OWB, it goes in my back, I have yet to have ANYONE point or scream shooter

My brother and family know I carry, they have to actually ask if I am packing. I would consider myself overweight BTW at 6'1" and 225#.

I shoot well but know when SHTF and I have to sling lead, I want as much roundage as I can have on me, the XDM with 19 +1 is what I decided was my best defense.

Lot of great ideas though and I thing I will need to experiment some on other options.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I can carry my 19 all year around, even in shorts and t-shirt.  I did it a while back with a 23 but it would print a little due to the holster.  With the new Raven Eidolon, it doesn't print at all.  Whatsoever.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Ruger Alaskan .454. Under a hoody.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:30:49 AM EDT
[#16]
This weekend's Off Duty CCW Carry.

Smith and Wesson Model 13-3 .357 Magnum

Bucheimer Holster and Dump Pouch

Knife

Keys

Wallet

Creds

Bulova Watch

Not in the photo is my Galaxy S5. It took the picture.

The secret is to dress properly. For a gun like this I was jeans, a nice button down short sleeve shirt, and a under shirt. I squat instead of bend to pick up things. I can also carry this with just a Tshirt.

You are going to print to a degree period. It is a fact of life. The secret to avoid being made is not to tug on your shirt and pat your gun every 30 seconds.

The two key elements are a good holster and a great belt. For an OWB, you need it to be held tight against the body. If it flops and is loose it will print like a mother fucker.

The majority of folks are oblivious to their surroundings. You can have a naked man run dowm the street and 90% will say he hsd clothing on, was a female, on fire, covered in green jello.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Knife
Keys
Wallet
Creds
Bulova Watch

http://i.imgur.com/ZIZGYZu.jpg

The secret is to dress properly. For a gun like this I was jeans, a nice button down short sleeve shirt, and a under shirt. I squat instead of bend to pick up things. I can also carry this with just a Tshirt.

You are going to print to a degree period. It is a fact of life. The secret to avoid being made is not to tug on your shirt and pat your gun every 30 seconds.

The two key elements are a good holster and a great belt. For an OWB, you need it to be held tight against the body. If it flops and is loose it will print like a mother fucker.

The majority of folks are oblivious to their surroundings. You can have a naked man run dowm the street and 90% will say he hsd clothing on, was a female, on fire, covered in green jello.
View Quote

No one who needs total discretion, for various reasons previously mentioned, should take your advice as gospel.

You're a cop.  There are a lot of things in society which don't apply to you.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

No one who needs total discretion, for various reasons previously mentioned, should take your advice as gospel.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Knife

Keys

Wallet

Creds

Bulova Watch

I can't OC in Florida and I have to keep my stuff covered just like everyone else. I still have a Florida FL CCW for a reason. Just because I have a badge and I'm sworn doesn't mean I don't have to do and deal with the same exact thing that every other CCWer goes through.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:53:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I can't OC in Florida and I have to keep my stuff covered just like everyone else. I still have a Florida FL CCW for a reason. Just because I have a badge and I'm sworn doesn't mean I don't have to do and deal with the same exact thing that every other CCWer goes through.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Knife
Keys
Wallet
Creds
Bulova Watch

I'm not buying what you're selling.

You can't get fired for carrying at your work place.

And, there are a bunch of social situations where, if your gun were to be discovered, a simple " I'm a cop " statement settles things down more simply than " I have my CCW permit. "
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ive talked to several people and they say carrying is all about how you dress. I've heard others say not to dress around your gun. What is your take on this?
View Quote

Being committed to carrying a gun means compromising some clothing wise.  No matter what size gun.  

I carry a Glock 35 and  TRP Operator with a t shirt and short or jeans with no issues.  

My secret?

A good Belt  (Beltman)

and a Good Holster...G35(Comptac CTAC) and TRP (HBE Com III).
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:40:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Sig P220 full size or P229 or 2.5 inch S&W Model-19
Milt Sparks Summer Special-2 or similar holster
Double magazine pouch.  Speed loader for the revolver drops into a pocket
Good belt
Black v neck t shirt (I like a barrier between the holster and my skin)
Colored or contrasting t shirt untucked over holster and mag pouch
Columbia or similar style fishing shirt one size larger than I would normally wear untucked over the t shirt.
Everything disappears.  I can wear this with jeans or shorts.  If I just want to wear a t shirt or polo I'll carry my Model-60 in a cargo pocket of my shorts or an ankle holster with long pants.

Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Does anyone have a good solution for carrying with a satchel/message bag?

I would like to carry my Glock 17C but I don't want to personal carry.

I appreciate the assistance
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 9:51:28 PM EDT
[#23]
its how you dress and the holster set up, i carry a full size hk usp 45 iwb raven phantom, i buy my shirts 1 size too big, call it a day
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:24:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Does anyone have a good solution for carrying with a satchel/message bag?

I would like to carry my Glock 17C but I don't want to personal carry.

I appreciate the assistance
View Quote

Get a bag that has a Velcro panel inside it. Crossbred holster makes a holster that uses Velcro backing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:27:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

QFT, My fat wraps around the gun keeping it warm and fresh, a natural flap holster.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#27]
HK USP 9 daily with 3 extra mags.

Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you Sam Fisher?
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Its all about how you dress and what holster is used, and basic comfort so printing is ok but a print that looks like a gun is to far.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Are you Sam Fisher?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you Sam Fisher?

Pfft. Sam Fisher uses a five seven.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you Sam Fisher?

Link Posted: 2/4/2015 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#32]
This may help.  For me, full size 911 is no problem with a stiff belt and Milt Sparks VM2.

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 2:52:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for posting that
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Today's protection assistant. I just happen to take this picture to sample the picture quality from my tablet.

All that is needed is a good belt, holster, and a bit of common sense. A person need not be tall or large to wear a service sized pistol securely and discretely.

The worksheet above has circulated the interwebz over the years many times. I think it's a good description of people that elect to forego holsters to carry guns, ie criminals, and perhaps newly minted carriers who haven't figured out it's worth the cost to buy a quality holster and belt. Either way, those behaviors are not at all specific to the size of a firearm being carried.

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:00:52 AM EDT
[#35]
A proper belt to me is a must. I can't believe how many people will spend hundreds if not thousands on a pistol and carry with a $25 department store belt.
  Let me put it this way my 4in all steel 1911 with a proper belt ( Beltman Bullhide) carries like a Kahr PM9 or Glock 42 with a good leather department store belt ( like a Columbia  etc)

Another thing to point out is not just buying a good holster but buying one that has the right cant and height for your body type.
I make my own holsters as well as some friends. The way I fit them is to have them take the pistol unloaded and tuck it inside their belt in a position that's comfortable and concealable.
From there I make the holster to fit that ride height position and cant.
      I know that I have the luxury of making my own but if your going full sized it make take some trial and error as well as a few $$
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#36]
My toughest to conceal is a 4" N frame. It dissappears under a dark button up shirt.

20150303_183117_LLS by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

It's quite comfortable as well.

I wore it at work for weeks and nobody noticed until I was asked why I didn't carry.

Sitting on a hard bench the butt can make some noise.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:14:20 PM EDT
[#37]

I carry either a 5" steel 1911 IWB or a Gen4 G21 IWB. The 1911 is in a Crossbreed, the G21 in an Alien Gear.

Where I used to work, it was against policy to carry and I carried there for 2 years with my 1911's. I was around 5 women all day, all summer I was in cargo shorts and t-shirts, and nobody ever said or saw anything.

Carrying a fullsize is about A)Body type, B) Holster, and C)  Belt.

One is hard to change, the others just require a little money.

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#38]

Carrying a fullsize is about A)Body type, B) Holster, and C)  Belt.

what he said..!  for me..and this is my opinion.. i am 6' 3" 200 give or take a few.. and i carry a full size 1911.. having said that.. concealed carry for me is just that.concealled IWB with shirt over or shirt tucked..depending on which holster i'm wearing, where i'm going and what i'm doing.  carrying on the belt..to me is not concealed.. it's open.  now most will disagree..you may try to conceal with a lose shirt or jacket..but 9 times out of 10 it will be spotted.  unless you have an extra long shirt or jacket.  i like the idea that with my gun tucked as closely as possible to my body.. it is now part of my body.  for me..makes it harder to see.  i have been in both situations while IWB and Belt carrying and have been pegged more times that not with the belt.  never been pegged while IWB.  even when bending over or squatting.  well...maybe once at wally world.  it's all preference.. try some different configs and have your buddies..gf..wifey..or mom.. check you..if you know a LEO..have him/them check you as well.  just my humble opinion.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

3? Wow, any pictures?

ETA: Sig 2022 in either a Kydex or leather OWB holster. I have a Bravo Concealment ACER DG2 on order though, I'd like to give IWB/AIWB a try.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top