User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Even though it won't damage the sight, a wet RMR can be unusable.

View Quote
That's why for a self defense pistol it is important to have sights that clear the glass.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:13:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

THIS... a British company developed the first mini red dot sight for pistols back in the early-90s, but the window was so small that finding the dot was very slow. The current crop of slide-mount red dots are likely in the sweet spot already.  I will try to post an old picture I have somewhere.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Technology is nearly always here to stay. Just as lights and lasers got smaller, more reliable, brighter and affordable, so have optics. Once they reach a certain quality, reliability, and price nexus, people start looking for ways to put them on handguns, especially as they are nearly ubiquitous on rifles now.

10 years ago, a flat type AR-15 was the exception, not the rule. Optics ready handguns likely won't share the same popularity, but I don't see them going away. The retail market definitely follows the customization trends closely.

It would be cool to see a mini red dot that's about the size of a rear sight.

Handgun mounted optics must always remain at least a certain size or you'll have a very hard time finding the dot.

THIS... a British company developed the first mini red dot sight for pistols back in the early-90s, but the window was so small that finding the dot was very slow. The current crop of slide-mount red dots are likely in the sweet spot already.  I will try to post an old picture I have somewhere.

Was this the EPC something sight?  The one that looked like a small box of matches lengthwise on the slide?

Saw it in American Handgunner.  It had a tiny square window IIRC.

ETA: lol.  Should have scrolled down a bit before replying.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'd love to have my duty weapon outfitted with one. Anyone who is against them still running irons on an AR as well? I've only handled inert /unloaded guns with them at conventions but am really looking forward to giving a gun with one a shot.

My 'Only' concern is that when working in the rain/in climate weather my pistol/holster is exposed on my duty rig... So I'd be curious as to how they hold up to the elements, if anyone makes a holster that protects them, how they handle with water on the lenses, etc...

They'd be great on a shield (a literally shield not the CCW pistol).
View Quote

I've read of more than a few cops testifying to their RMR equipped handguns being good to go in other forums.

The RMR is rated to be waterproof to around 30ft if it is properly installed so that the bottom gasket seals against a true flat surface.  Most pistol slides are too narrow, and the gasket does not seal completely on the sides.  Trijicon sells a stainless steel seal plate you put between the sight and slide so it maintains a water tight seal.

Many dont even use the seal plate, and most everything I've read indicates the sight holding up just fine to exposure.  I carried my RMR'd Glock for more than 2 years before installing the plate and it has been 100% for that time.  I carry IWB so it is not often exposed to the elements (though I have shot in the rain and had rainwater soak through my shirt to the pistol without problems).  What it has been exposed to every day is a lot of sweat, that definitely finds its way between the slide and sight (I have seen traces when I've removed the sight for annual battery changes).  It has been 100%.

Water and sweat on the lens did not affect anything.  However, the dot is projected from the base towards the lens, so if big clumps of dirt find their way to the top of the sight, it *may* block the emmiter and you will lose the dot.  But anything that would do that would probably block the rear sight anyway.

Safariland IIRC makes level 2 and 3 duty holsters with a hood to protect slide mounted optics.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's a trend when you get past a certain age!  
View Quote

What he said.  At 46 the ability of my eyes to focus on the front sight is not what it was when I was in my 20's.  The RMR style optics on a pistol is starting look attractive to me.  It would also make the pistol sighting system more like my red dot AR carbine sighting system.

The new Leupold Delta Point Pro looks very interesting.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I work in a gun store. I've noticed a trend for older shooters to want these. Either by sending their slides out or picking up the S&W CORE. They are the guys who regularly go to the range and feel it makes them more accurate and shooting more enjoyable. I think this trend is here to stay, especially if the price on quality optics comes down some.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Gratuitous pics of my rig

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:17:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Handgun mounted optics must always remain at least a certain size or you'll have a very hard time finding the dot.
View Quote

I gave it a go with a full size red dot unit and that was bad enough.  Too hard to pick up the dot compared to a red dot rifle.  Regular sights are faster.  The red dot came off my pistol pretty quick.  Failed experiment.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 12:35:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I only noticed two times when my RMR glock 19 was faster than irons:  shooting moving targets (like steel on a wheel) and long distance shooting (25-50Y).  It wasn't harder to carry, but since my OTHER CCW guns only had irons, I didn't like switching from one method to the other all the time.

I had to sell the RMR and now the slide to fund two crowns (and a root canal), but I know I'll come back to a red dot someday.  I'm thinking next I'll build one around a G35 or G40 just as a HD gun.  I also may try out the Deltapoint Pro instead of the RMR, even though I liked the RM02 a lot (I tried almost ALL of the models).
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top