Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2014 5:12:22 AM EDT
1911 9MM Autos, tell me about them, are they worth the money?  What to stay away from? Thanks guys
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:12:06 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.americanrifleman.org/article.php?id=39234&cat=20&sub=21&q=1

American Rifleman recently reviewed a Springfield Armory Range Officer in 9mm.  The Range Officer seems to be a really nice gun, in 9mm note it's heavier, perhaps that helps reduce recoil even more.  

I had a 1980s or 1990's Star 9mm 1911 briefly, shot it a few times, did not like it.  The one I had was more cheaply made compared to a US 1911.  There may be other better variants of it, don't want to indict the company based only on my limited experience.

9mm generally less recoil, but to me 9mm Luger is always "choppy" and I seem to handle .45 ACP better.  Probably just my personal bias because the .45 ACP 1911 is known to be harder to handle.

Generally anything I have ever owned in 9mm is less accurate than .45 ACP.  I know that military & other gunsmiths are getting amazing accuracy with Beretta's and other tuned 9mm guns.  Folks will fill up a forum with posts on 9mm being less accurate is a myth.  However, in my world the .45 ACP is more "inherently accurate" (everyone else's mileage may vary).

Some of the prominant companies make 9mm including Kimber, and I am one who likes Kimber's guns.   If you get one, my only advice is to invest in one that is well made by a reputable company, Kimber and Springfield Armory are among them.  Rock Island Armory (RIA) I think makes a 9mm, and shooters seem to like them, the one's I've seen get good reviews and they are pretty affordable.  

As always recommend you handle and dry fire one before you buy, shoot it if possible.  Links to a couple 1911 buyer's guides:  

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/buyers-guide-for-all-you-1911-addicts.511/              

http://www.gunsandammo.com/gun-reviews/1911-reviews/

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:25:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I had an old Auto-ordnance (Pre-Khar days).

I found it fun to shoot.  The recoil was minimal.  The accuracy was as good as any other 1911.  Reliability was 100%, and the old A-O's weren't exactly the best made 1911 clones.  Nowdays, they're much cheaper to shoot than a .45ACP.  On the A-O I had, they used a lighter recoil spring in the 9mm, which which had the side-effect of making the slide very easy to manipulate by anyone.  The single stack design and SA trigger actually make it a good fit for someone with small hands.  A 9mm 1911 is a good choice for many people because of the last two features.

I found the gun a very fun one to shoot, and sold it with the intention of buying a higher quality 9mm 1911.  I haven't gotten around to it because of other shiny things, but there's a very good selection nowdays.  

The best thing to do is try one out if you can and see if you like it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:45:07 AM EDT
[#3]
This question has been covered at least 100 times this year
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Great write up guys. Many thanks. You definitely answered my questions.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#5]
The only 1911 style 1911's that I like are the Star Series

BKM and BKS.  Great guns for shooting and carry.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:49:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd say that's the case with most topics...so what?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The only 1911 style 1911's that I like are the Star Series

BKM and BKS.  Great guns for shooting and carry.
View Quote

I agree.  I have a BKM and it's a fantastic shooting gun.  

It's not an exact 1911 clone, but it's probably the reason I haven't bought another 9mm 1911.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a Springfield loaded 9mm, the magazines that came with it were junk. I switched to Tripps research magazines and helped a lot, but in the end I sold it with no regrets. Now very happy with my CZ 75.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:21:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a RIA Tactical in 9mm that I love.  It has been 100% reliable with about 500 rounds of various fmj and about 200 rounds of various hollow point.  The gun is very accurate and very easy to shoot because it has such a soft recoil.  The only thing I do not like on it are the sights which are all black no dots.  I bought the gun on sale new for around $400 and it is easily one of my favorite guns to shoot.  It is my only and first 1911 and I am now itching to buy one in 45.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:58:45 AM EDT
[#10]
The Springfield Loaded Targets are very hit and miss.  Their Range Officer should be a little more consistently fit.  Springfield and Kimber 9mms can run OK after some tweaking and are mostly good out of the box, but don't be surprised if they need to set up properly.

RIA, STI's Spartan, Trojan, etc., are good values for what you pay.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:49:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't mind this either.  I like when I see members are willing to continue to contribute on popular topics such is this.  I myself am very interested in getting a 1911 pistol chambered in 9mm.  I would love a Kimber Aegis but the price is up there.  I like 9mm as it is cheaper than 45acp to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#12]
you all at least need to look at the rock island i bought one did a little work to it trigger job and a barrel bushing it shots a 1 1/2 group at 25 yards and is smooth as hell.not bad for less than 500 bucks get you some of that?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I have been shooting a lot of 9mm in a 1911 for the past few years. I can say they are a hoot with lower cost to shoot and minimal recoil.

My RIA TAC 9mm has been worth every penny to date. It has over 6000 rounds through it with only 2 malfunctions I cannot directly attribute to mags. Both of those were when the recoil spring was needing replaced.

I strongly suggest you spend the money on good mags. Tripp mags are the absolute best for my RIA. Wilson run great in others. Both need new springs about once a year at my level of use.

Accuracy: With the right load, mine will do 1.5" at 20 yards all day. I think it would do better if I could shoot better.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
1911 9MM Autos, tell me about them, are they worth the money?  What to stay away from? Thanks guys
View Quote

You get what you pay for with 1911's, generally.  I use Tripp mags and have two STI Tactical SS 4.0 1911's in 9mm.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Dan Wesson PM-9 and it is awesome. I shoot regularly with about 6 other guys who own them and they are always well built, accurate, and reliable.

It is fairly likely you will need to tinker with (extractor/recoil spring weight) it at first though. They are about as tight as you can build a 9mm and still have it run. I have probably burned up 8,000 rounds since my last issue so they can run like sewing machines.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:01:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the Dan Wesson Guardian and i love shooting it.  It is hands down my favorite 9mm I have ever shot.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:03:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I picked up a new Rock Island Armory GI 9mm 1911 and ran it for a few years and a few thousand rounds, no complains, no failures at all, even ran el cheapo Checkmate mags with no problems. But got tired of the tiny GI sights so I let it go when I found a good deal on a RIA TAC II in .45. RIA & STI 9mm 1911s are your best bet for sub $1000 9mms.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#18]
My BIL has an STI in 9mm, he has had problems with the mags. It came with one, he bought another with it, worked fine for awhile then he started having mag related ftfs. He sent those back for new ones, bought I think a Wilson mag that has been fine from day one, but the STI mags soon started giving him problems again.

The pistol itself is very accurate and soft shooting.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 4:27:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Have a STI 9mm 1911 Trojan with Tripp mags. Tripp is the "T" in STI. He sold the company, lives about 70 miles from Georgetown and makes his great mags out in the Bastrop pines.

It is accurate, soft recoil, tight fit, 10 +1 rounds of goodness.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:05:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My BIL has an STI in 9mm, he has had problems with the mags. It came with one, he bought another with it, worked fine for awhile then he started having mag related ftfs. He sent those back for new ones, bought I think a Wilson mag that has been fine from day one, but the STI mags soon started giving him problems again.

The pistol itself is very accurate and soft shooting.
View Quote

Their singlestack mags are just Metalforms.  My modus operandi is to thrown the factory mags in a drawer and use trusted aftermarket mags for all my 1911s.  Most often that's Wilson, Tripp or McCormick for me.    That way I don't have to keep track of 40 different maker's mags and their individual idiosyncrasies.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I want to try one out. Probably get a RIA. I have a nicer S&W in 45 already.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#22]
I rented a Springfield 9mm 1911 at the range. It was a hoot. recoil was minimal and the gun was very accurate.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Grabagun got some dan wesson pm9's in a couple days ago and I'm so tempted to order one. I'm concerned though about all the stuff I hear about 9mm 1911's. Guys are like I love my gun, I just need to load my own bullets, load them long, use round nose only, and use this 1 particular mag because nothing else works with mine, etc. Seems like a lot of variables. I want to just get a gun that runs factory ammo, my preference is federal american eagle 147g, and just run it with no tinkering.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#24]
I had a 9mm colt commander....I loved it. Sold it like a moron
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

The Springfield Loaded Targets are very hit and miss.  Their Range Officer should be a little more consistently fit.  Springfield and Kimber 9mms can run OK after some tweaking and are mostly good out of the box, but don't be surprised if they need to set up properly.

RIA, STI's Spartan, Trojan, etc., are good values for what you pay.

View Quote

I have this gun too, no problems with factory ammo but it didn't feed my reloads( fully sized cases) so I used 38 super reamer to open the chamber; worked like a charm and no accuracy change at all.

I have 38 super barrel for it too. That's why I had the reamer.

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 2:25:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I bought an EMP from the EE here and love it.

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 2:55:16 PM EDT
[#27]
The 9mm 1911 is my absolute favorite gun to shoot. I've shot a SA loaded target and an STI 5". Both are awesome.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 2:58:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I have always wanted one.  I figure a 4.25" all steel, or al framed 9mm 1911 would be the perfect carry gun.  

I got to shoot a fullsized Taurus in 9mm in the summer and I really liked it.  I like guns that are fun to shoot, but still are good for defense purposes.  It had very little recoil.  I usually like to have rubber grips to help guns to not slip while firing.  This one didn't and it stayed put very nice.  However, the guy that owned it was a gunsmith and he checkered the front strap and blended it in very well with the grips.  And it had a bevelled magwell.  I was thinking it was crazy on a Taurus, but I think it was something for him to practice on and it was a good job.  

Anyways.....  9mm 1911 all the way.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 8:58:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Had one and sold it.
Found other 9mms that I enjoy more.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 10:41:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Bought a used Springfield Loaded target 9mm in stainless about this time last year and it's been my most common go to the range gun ever since.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a Kimber Stainless II in 9mm that doesn't run real reliable. I have 2 Kimber mags but have not tried any others. I see lots of FTEs which is a shame because I love how it shoots. Maybe one day when I put down my VP9 or Glock 17 I'll buy some Wilson Combat mags and see how it runs with them.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Had a Springfield 1911 9mm.  FTE FTF POS

Fun to shoot cuz of the light recoil though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:08:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Just out of curiosity, why no votes for Sig's 1911 9mm offering?

Link to Sig's 1911T-SME

Or S&W's 1911 9mm offering?

Link to Smith & Wesson website

The external extractor a turn-off?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top