Page / 3
Posted: 12/19/2014 10:45:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#1]
In before a bad couple of guns is used to denigrate a whole product line

IBTGT In before the Glocktards
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:56:23 AM EDT
[#2]
So how much money did S&W refuse to give Costa before this was published?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In before a bad couple of guns is used to denigrate a whole product line

IBTGT In before the Glocktards
View Quote

That's what sucks about comments like that from well known people like Costa.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:17:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I won't be loosing any sleep tonight.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#5]
This post is just waiting for other people who've had the same experience.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:19:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Check must have bounced.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:21:10 AM EDT
[#7]
My M&P Pro is damn accurate, but so is my G19.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I have an older M&P other than not being able to know when the trigger resets the pistol is great.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I like how Costa's Facebook post about the issue includes zero pictures of the guns.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Strangely enough my 2008 edition continues to function without a hitch.  I must be doing something wrong.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#11]
A M&P is on my list of handguns to buy soon. I wonder if there was a run of defective pistols. I'm interested to see what M&P thinks the issue is.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A M&P is on my list of handguns to buy soon. I wonder if there was a run of defective pistols. I'm interested to see what M&P thinks the issue is.
View Quote

I reckon

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/06/austin-cop-sure-shot-stopped-crazed-gunman/
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Even if they did they would stand behind the product and fix it.  S&W is good to go on CS side.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm sure Costa sees all brands of guns fail at some point - for him to call S&W out has to mean he thinks it's a serious concern.

I highly doubt he's just making it up - no need to jump on the dudes back, S&W fanboys....
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

all of this
5" for me though
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Only M&P9 I've ever used had terrible accuracy, S&W "fixed" it

Its long gone
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Saw this earlier and figured I'd share.

http://monderno.com/news/chris-costa-reports-smith-wesson-mp-problem/
View Quote

I could not care any less what Costa has to say....Cool, he can shoot good....He also likes Salient Arms, which charges a shit ton to mill holes in your guns just to cause them to malfunction when dirty......but hey they look cool right....

No, I dont own an M&P pistol....
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:04:21 PM EDT
[#19]
But I bought my M&Ps because of Costa.  

WHY!  WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?????
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#20]
What're all those non-bullet holes in the paper?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you read the article? Those non bullet holes are what he's concerned about. lol
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Did you read the article? Those non bullet holes are what he's concerned about. lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, but in my defense I cannot access FB at work so I only read what was in the posted article.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:43:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Someone please let the guy know its spelled "and" and not "an"
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I know S&W will make things, I'm mainly curious to know if there is a specific serial range to avoid and if it's something that may affect current production pistols.

I would also like to note that I don't look at Costa as the be all end all of trainers, I'm simply interested in his observations.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No, but in my defense I cannot access FB at work so I only read what was in the posted article.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The link I posted wasn't to FB, your defense is invalid
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#26]
This is really fishy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Interesting that it looks like keyholing in that close up pic.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Interesting that it looks like keyholing in that close up pic.
View Quote

Sure does.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:35:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a link within your link to his FB page. I do see that the link you posted mentioned "shotgunning" so I missed that in my skimming. It's my last day of work for the year and my brain's been on vacation for a week now...
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

There's a link within your link to his FB page. I do see that the link you posted mentioned "shotgunning" so I missed that in my skimming. It's my last day of work for the year and my brain's been on vacation for a week now...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#31]
He later says this in the facebook thread:

"I own MPs its my second favorite gun. This was probably a bad batch of barrels. It didn't mean the rest of my smiths suck. I wrote just keep an eye out for a possible problem. People are getting way to emotional. It's pretty cut and dry. If I continue to see a lot more then maybe there is a bigger problem at hand. Smith customer service never returned my call and my contacts haven't been there for a long time or I would have called them first. You guys are the end users an purchasers and that's my concern. Just pay attention at the range. Pretty simple."

Calm down, fellas.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:21:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Not sure if it is relevant but I have had problems with Berry plated 115s keynoting with a variety of guns before.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#33]
I’ll say this about Chris, he knows a lot about guns. I’ve taken a couple of his classes and you can go up to him and ask what his experiences are on gun X, with trigger mods Y, and sights Z and he is able to answer questions and give opinions/advise. Especially when it comes to Gs and M&Ps.

I’m guessing it’s just a bad lot by S&W. If I were one of those people, it wouldn’t bother me a bit. I’d call S&W, explain the problem (maybe email a picture) and wouldn’t be surprised to see a new barrel in my mailbox within two or three days.

It’s unfortunate but sometimes shit happens and you just have to deal with it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Not sure if it is relevant but I have had problems with Berry plated 115s keynoting with a variety of guns before.
View Quote

I use .358" plated bullets in mine. Big reason being that most bullets run smaller than marked (these are actually .357") and my M&P has a .3555 groove.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Its been known that some m&p's have lockup issues but its not in a certain serial range nor is it all pistols. Its pretty rare though and smith will make it right. I think its only m&p9's that have these issues though or it might be that they sell more of them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#36]
That's "cut and dried" not "cut and dry".  I suspect that Chris's beard was the root cause of the problems.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Did he check the barrel for rifling?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:03:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Did he check the barrel for rifling?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#39]
pictures in article basically useless
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#40]
I didn't have a barrel break on my FS 9MM, and it was the more accurate of the two M&P FS pistols I bought.  My 9MM issues where dead trigger and light strikes.  Sear flutter and timing issues.  Hated to put that gun away in the safe.

The .357 SIG FS does the same thing those pictures shows.  Tosses the bullets every which direction on the target.  It does okay with the .40 S&W barrel in it, but with the S&W .357 SIG barrel it's just unusable.  Put that one away in the safe, too.  

Moved on to a gun that goes bang when I pull the trigger and shoots really nice groups.  CZ P07 and P09.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Its been known that some m&p's have lockup issues but its not in a certain serial range nor is it all pistols. Its pretty rare though and smith will make it right. I think its only m&p9's that have these issues though or it might be that they sell more of them.
View Quote

The problems seem almost entirely confined to the 9mm line, but they're definitely not rare. Horrible accuracy ( > 6" at 25 yards) is the usual culprit, but I've seen guns with peening on the front of the barrel hood and the mating lockup surface in the slide. I suspect this was caused by such loose tolerances that the slide was essentially banging into the barrel, very similar to what was seen on the Ruger SR guns. However, I believe problems are less common now, with the faster barrel twist and (according to knowledgeable industry guys) better fitting between the barrel and slide.

EDIT. Forgot about the dead sear issues mentioned by M1A4ME. The newer sear housing block with the larger plunger seemed to take care of that.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Only M&P9 I've ever used had terrible accuracy, S&W "fixed" it

Its long gone
View Quote
My M&P9 shoots better than any Glock that I've shot, it always goes bang...and it fits so good in my hands so...YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#43]
I could give a rats ass what Chris Costa has to say or what his latest "tactical" grip is.

Dave N
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I reckon

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/06/austin-cop-sure-shot-stopped-crazed-gunman/

That article concerns a 40 pistol. The 9mm line has well-known and persistent issues with accuracy in some pistols. Besides, posting ONE article from ONE incident proves nothing just as Costa's experience alone proves nothing. Don't let me interrupt fanboy fest here though.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I could give a rats ass what Chris Costa has to say or what his latest "tactical" grip is.

Dave N
View Quote

Wtf man! His latest grip works great when your in the shower and............ wait, wong thread
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Has pictures of targets, but does not put pictures of barrels of defective weapons.
That is like a buddy setting you up on a blind date and he shows you a pic of the clothes the girl is going to wear, but not of the girl.

I have a bit of experience with the M&P and this does not concern me the least bit. If you are going to post about defective barrels in 3 guns, then all means post pics of defective guns.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I’d call S&W, explain the problem (maybe email a picture) and wouldn’t be surprised to see a new barrel in my mailbox within two or three days.
View Quote

Maybe they USED to send you a new barrel. I've just went through 3 round trips with S&W on a brand new M&P Pro 9mm to finally get a barrel that wasn't buggered all to hell. NO, they won't send you a new barrel. They WILL make you send you gun to them. Their new CEO has trully fucked the company up.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Yet another KABOOM from an M&P.  

The new hand grenade....
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Maybe they USED to send you a new barrel. I've just went through 3 round trips with S&W on a brand new M&P Pro 9mm to finally get a barrel that wasn't buggered all to hell. NO, they won't send you a new barrel. They WILL make you send you gun to them. Their new CEO has trully fucked the company up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’d call S&W, explain the problem (maybe email a picture) and wouldn’t be surprised to see a new barrel in my mailbox within two or three days.

Well.... that's not promising.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yet another KABOOM from an M&P.  

The new hand grenade....
View Quote
It has to actually explode first.

Nice try though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top