Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2014 5:37:37 AM EDT
sig sauer p229 dak(.40)?

I've never had a sig before and Im not even sure a civilian can have it because you know the gun laws are funny sometimes, but I really have been thinking about getting the P229dak. The re-priming could essentially save my life and I've heard some amazing reviews on it. I hear its a really smooth shot, you can anticipate the trigger release(which aids accuracy) and so on. I've also heard of the tests our government has tortured it with. On the other hand, I am also thinking about getting a glock. Simply because every police officer tells me there a great gun and I see all the old time gun shooters on youtube saying things like go glock or go home.  I don't know much on the sig or even hear much on it though but I know its also great and I want it pretty badly

What do you guys think, or know, because I could use some help on this 1.
Im leaning towards the Sig and thats what I really want to get because it is bit heavier and causes less recoil but mainly just because I want it

The down side on it is though which is persuading me to not get it is, I've watched some youtube video's on it and have started to pay attention and hear that with the 2 stage trigger system for the (DAK-which I want), if you are engaged in rapid fire and only try to reset the first trigger system then its possible that you don't even reset the first 1(system) and you will pull the trigger and the gun will not fire because it has not reset.

Now this concerns me. Very scary. Some guys that know about this new trigger system please fill me in.  Any info would be great on that system. Glock is starting to look better for me now. hmm
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to a local range and see if you can rent one. You will be much happier in the end shooting as many different guns first and learning how they operate before you just buy one for the heck of it because you read how great it is online.

I personally prefer DA/SA SIGs (with SRT) to Glocks. That being said I would choose a Glock over a DAK SIG. Both are quality weapons so at least you can't really make a bad choice. You need to shoot them and see which you prefer.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#2]
What he said^. I've owned both and can't stand the DAK but do love DA/SA Sigs. Glocks are good but they don't have a trigger pull its a "press" so you really need to try shooting both before buying.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok thanks. Do u know what a fair price range would be for a new 229 dak (.40)?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure you really know what you're looking at.

The DAK is not really that "new".  It's a system that is a double action only system with a twist. It adds a second reset point. Think of it this way: if you use a long crowbar/lever to lift something, it takes a lot of travel to accomplish, but not a lot of force. If you shorten the lever, the distance required is shortened, but the force required is increases. Basically the same thing with DAK. If you let the trigger out all the way after each shot, it's a long, but relatively light DA pull. If you only let the trigger reset to the first position, you have a heavier but shorter pull. This is kind of the opposite of the traditional DA/SA, where the first shot is a long, relatively heavy double action pull, but the action of the slide cycling cocks the hammer for follow up SA shots that are light trigger pulls. Because I'm not sure you know, a double-action pull does 2 actions: pulls the hammer back and releases it. In single action, the hammer is already cocked and the pull just releases it.

I have never had anyone really explain logically why the DAK is desirable other than reducing the likelihood of an unintentional double-tap. Was there really a problem of people meaning to shoot someone just once, but accidentally keep shooting them?

You raised a concern that if you don't let out the trigger far enough, the pistol won't fire. Well that's going to happen with any pistol that's not fully automatic. There are pistols that have shorter resets than most (PPQ, SIGs with SRT), some that are very distinct and some that are mushy. I've heard of no complaints of false resets with the DAK.  As for legality of owning, I know of no jurisdictions that outlaw the DAK system.

It sounds to me like you're pretty new to firearms. I suggest you learn more about how firearms work and take a class or two from a reputable instructor. Rent a lot of pistols before you decide to purchase so you get a feel for the different actions, controls, ergos, etc.  A lot of people have had bad experiences buying firearms because some cool federal agency uses them or they saw it in a movie or just think it looks cool.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#5]
The second strike capability is crap and more likely to kill you than save you. When you pull a trigger and the gun doesn't go bang, don't sit there and keep pulling, fix the problem. Second strike doesn't fix a gun out of battery, a jam, an empty chamber, a bad primer, a squib, a slide lock reload, etc. Your odds of getting a light strike with good ammo and a gun that is well maintained are near zero. The other conditions combined WILL happen sooner or later.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The second strike capability is crap and more likely to kill you than save you. When you pull a trigger and the gun doesn't go bang, don't sit there and keep pulling, fix the problem. Second strike doesn't fix a gun out of battery, a jam, an empty chamber, a bad primer, a squib, a slide lock reload, etc. Your odds of getting a light strike with good ammo and a gun that is well maintained are near zero. The other conditions combined WILL happen sooner or later.
View Quote

This.....pulling the trigger again is a waste of time and effort when mere seconds count.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I hate the dak trigger!!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Owned it shot it hated it sold it --I am now happy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top