Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#1]
i can see all the down talk, lets just get to the point, the thread itself is asking if you have one in your collection amongst your more .... prestigious firearms

no one is saying your going to use it for self defense, or any emergency situation

I can honestly say, I owned one, before my other pistols/rifles

they are great for what they are, affordable cheap guns

i never had an issue with mine, had it for a few years, it ate all the ammo i fed through it, steel/brass  

eventually i started to run out of space in the safe so i sold it, kinda regret it too

reason being,that i guess i lucked out and got a working one, i got it for 90.00 local gun show
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:56:56 PM EDT
[#2]
A 1978 Chevette would get you to and from work, but I wouldn't enjoy the ride.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't but want one for some reason.
View Quote

Same here. That said unless I run across a deal on a used one I doubt I get one.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#4]
No, I don't see any need for it either. Ammo is expensive, why waste it on a gun you don't need?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Not in my house. I appreciate quality, well made firearms. Hi-Points are not that.

Crappy plastic, heavy, low quality steel. Will the gun shoot? Most likely. Are they accurate? Possibly. Can I beat the fuck out of it and it still work? Maybe.

Do I want to depend my life on it? Fuck no.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:12:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Negative... My "cheap" practice/range gun is an M&P 9 with an Apex trigger. After shooting several guns at the range, including low rent ones, I learned that one of the most important aspects of what makes a gun enjoyable to shoot, besides being reliable, is the trigger. I'd rather spend that $150-200 on ammo for a gun that's enjoyable to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 7:42:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I think I'll buy one and post a YouTube torture test video.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I've always wanted to buy a Hi-Point C9 just because, but I always end up buying something more useful like ammo.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Looking at your avatar my response is "chrome don't get you home"
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:17:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh, and BTW, I don't own any "fancy" pistols.

No engraved pistols, no pearl handled gats, no cheesy gold inlay, nada.

Just solid service/military type pistols and revolvers.

Oh, and a Buckmark target .22, which is hardly "fancy".
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have that avatar to tweak the More Tactical Than Thou crowd.  But just because a tool is utilitarian doesn't mean it has to look like a lump of shit.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:47:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I've owned a couple hi-points, haven't in at least 10 years though, and all but one was bought from friends at deep discounts. They all chewed up as much FMJ as you cared to give them, but the one thing they all had in common was that they would not shoot hollow points at all.

They're heavy, clunky, and don't have much in common as far as controls with the types of pistols I do like to use. That being said, they are the biggest seller at my LGS, and also the now closed gun store I worked weekends at. I get the warranty, the low cost, etc., but since they won't shoot the hollow point ammo that makes 9mm effective enough to be considered for various Federal agencies, they aren't worth the small amount of $$$ they cost. I wouldn't send a friend off with one if their life depended on it, I wouldn't trust one if my life depended on it, there truly is no reason for me to own one.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:21:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No, I don't see any need for it either. Ammo is expensive, why waste it on a gun you don't need?
View Quote

I haven't 'needed' a gun in about 30 purchases.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:46:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Explorer came with chrome, I don't care about chrome, but is is a nice ride, plenty of steel, 4WD and holds 7, I never owned a Chevette, never really cared about them, but neither have I owned a Hi-Point. I do have a sweet 1911 that cost $299 and a Browning HiPower that cost $400
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:21:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:43:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My Explorer came with chrome, I don't care about chrome, but is is a nice ride, plenty of steel, 4WD and holds 7, I never owned a Chevette, never really cared about them, but neither have I owned a Hi-Point. I do have a sweet 1911 that cost $299 and a Browning HiPower that cost $400
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

my Ram came with some chrome too, the replacement parts were on the way by the end of that night.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:10:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And it should be easy to add a rail, get a short rail section and some wood screws and screw it right into the frame, file down any of the screw coming through the other side. If you break the frame, send it back to hi point, they have a life time warranty and will replace it.
View Quote

I thought about that but the problem is you'd have to destroy the SN drilling that in there.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

my Ram came with some chrome too, the replacement parts were on the way by the end of that night.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why don't you keep that money and buy a better handgun?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:06:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

better handgun? like this one

they have both failed to go bang when the trigger is pulled exactly zero times. Hi Point has 1K give or take through it. Sig's probably 600 or so.

I could go the custom ordered 1911 route, but I already did that. I could go the build the 1911 yourself route, but did that too. Glocks, Sigs, Smiths, revolvers, a desert eagle.... did it done it have it.

Bang for the buck though this little thing is the best deal I've ever gotten in a firearm though besides the 1911 i got from a friend for nothing but the transfer fee when his dad died because it didn't have all the parts.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:27:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:37:07 AM EDT
[#21]
i owned all the handgun models, really liked the 9mm. 380 is pointless. 45 is pretty nice just big. the only one i own now is a converted 40 to 10mm that i wouldnt sell for liability issues. they hold their price well in the used market.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:16:15 PM EDT
[#22]
The reason why I own quality handguns is not that money is growing out of my pockets, it is because I appreciate quality.

I also expect a gun to be accurate, reliable and durable beyond ten thousand rounds.

Do I need to be more explicit?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:11:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The reason why I own quality handguns is not that money is growing out of my pockets, it is because I appreciate quality.

I also expect a gun to be accurate, reliable and durable beyond ten thousand rounds.

View Quote

if your gun breaks, send it to hipoint, they will fix it for you. most people will take years to get 10000 rounds. the good thing about the c9 is it is hard to make it go boom. for what it is, is is plenty accurate.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:19:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

have you ever fired 10K rounds through a gun?

and if it breaks you send it back and they replace it. Can't seem much better than that. And I don't have money falling out of my pockets either, so I spent a lot less on this gun than other options.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#25]
I once worked in a gun store/Pawnshop and along with everything else we sold good guns and these type.
We sold Ravens, Lorcins, Davis, Jennings,  and Sundance.
We also sold SiGs, Berettas, Glocks, S&W, Ruger, etc. etc......
We sold the less expensive guns because not everyone could afford the nice stuff. I had not one customer complain about the cheap guns they bought. They would come in and buy ammo and other than a few broken firing pins from dry firing, nothing serious.
One customer challenged me to own one since he knew I bought the nice ones.

To this day, 23 years later, I still own a Raven MP25. I have maybe 300 rounds thru it during this time and have not have one single jam.  I know 300 is not a lot, but that is more than most people shoot thru these type of guns anyway.

I have 3 magazines for it and one last box of 50 rounds. I keep it as a "Liberator" style pistol.
Some cheap guns do work.
The Davis .380 worked decent too, but was too big and heavy.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#26]
If carbines count, I have one. I want a pistol too, just haven't gotten around to getting one. A seller in my area usually sells them for $129 new at shows.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
they don't all work great dude. Thats cool that yours does, but you can get police trade-in 3rd gen smiths and glocks for a little over 300 bucks. do you own an AR? but why? an SKS with an AK mag is reliable and works just fine for so much cheaper?
View Quote

Where can you get an AK mag-capable SKS for less than an entry to mid- level AR?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Although they are ugly as sin, they work. I would not mind getting one but with my big mitts, the slide runs right over the top of them.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Where can you get an AK mag-capable SKS for less than an entry to mid- level AR?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
they don't all work great dude. Thats cool that yours does, but you can get police trade-in 3rd gen smiths and glocks for a little over 300 bucks. do you own an AR? but why? an SKS with an AK mag is reliable and works just fine for so much cheaper?

Can't  and the mags are hit or miss with functioning. I have two SKSs, but I paid $100 each for them. You have to realize the influx of basement recliner advice given here lately
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i haven't heard good things about most of the AK mag conversions, but i have a old fashion SKS that works great.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Can't  and the mags are hit or miss with functioning. I have two SKSs, but I paid $100 each for them. You have to realize the influx of basement recliner advice given here lately
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well said.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:34:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheapest AR I see is $550. I have seen numerious SKSs that are the factory AKmag models for $400 locally. I enjoy SKSs.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't know if my M&P's or my Beretta .380 would be considered fancy, but my wife has two high points that stick up 'way up firm and high'.

Since no one else but her and I can touch them, I call them 'mine'.

Do those count ?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've got one that I like, did a thread about it awhile ago. Just wondering if many of y'all have some the same thing and tried one for cheap and what you think about it.

Just wish they'd put a rail on the 9mm, considering trying a .45 as well
View Quote

I generally stay away from trashy guns but the Hi-Point 9mm carbine is tons of fun to shoot and surprisingly reliable. I got one for my mother in law and she loves it. I am sorely tempted to get a Hi-Point .45 ACP carbine. I have heard good things about their 9mm handgun but have no personal experience with them.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Cheapest AR I see is $550. I have seen numerious SKSs that are the factory AKmag models for $400 locally. I enjoy SKSs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're lucky. Last SKS I saw in my area other than the recent Chinese "battlefield condition" ones sold for $400. Last AK mag version I saw brought $600+. 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:24:59 PM EDT
[#36]
They just don't fill a need for me, being butt ugly isn't helping their case either............................
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:02:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Just wish they'd put a rail on the 9mm,
View Quote

Rail? its a hipoint, just JB weld one on it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:39:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You're lucky. Last SKS I saw in my area other than the recent Chinese "battlefield condition" ones sold for $400. Last AK mag version I saw brought $600+. 10 years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last year there were 2 "Sporters" or is it "Sportster" SKSs (the ones that take AK mags) for sale locally at 2 different shops for $400 each. I kinda wish I'd bought one. Most places around here want $400 for a regular SKS. I picked up a new, unused Norinco spiker for $329 6 months ago.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 3:54:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just wish they'd put a rail on the 9mm,

epoxy and anything else I can think of destroys the SN.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top