Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2014 12:21:16 PM EDT
Hello. I turn 21 in a year and i wanted to start saving up for my first handgun, only thing is im not sure what to get. I already have a browning highpower ( technically my fathers ) so i wanted to get something that would be for fun rather than carry. Here's what i had in mind.

Walther ppk
.357 revolver
either a walther p22 or a ruger sr 22
MAYBE an AR or AK pistol with the arm brace.

What do you guys think would be the most fun to have?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:23:06 PM EDT
[#1]
My first handgun was a revolver. So I recommend the .357
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Gen 4 Glock 19
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out the Walther PPQ
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#4]
22 pistol.  Ruger Mk II or III or Buckmark.   Learn the basics.  Have fun.  Then move up to something else.  Of your list, the 357 revolver is probably the best bet.  

I have a PPK.  I like it a lot, but not as a first gun.  The Walher P22 is junk.  The Ruger SR 22 is ok.  AR/AK pistols are gimmicks.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:17:29 PM EDT
[#5]
My first handgun was a Colt Targetmaster in 22lr.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:09:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Now that the 22 shortage seems to be easing up, without a doubt a 22 caliber handgun. Nothing helps build the fundamentals than lots of 22 trigger time.
I suggest a target grade 22 revolver or auto. So much better built more accurate than the current crop of combat 22's.
A 38/357 revolver would be a good second choice
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gen 4 Glock 19
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#8]
OP, what kind of budget do you have and what price range did you want to shop for? Do you want a DA/SA like the high power or did you want something different like a striker?

If you like hammer guns and just want a quality range toy as you stated, it's hard to find a better gun on a somewhat low end with the CZ75 B and for high end a Sig 226.

For striker the best right now is the VP9 bar none. M&P9 is another great one too.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Define what you mean by "fun".  Every shooter should have a 22LR handgun and rifle.  Every shooter should own a revolver at some point.  If you are interested in competition shooting at all, a Glock 34 would be a great choice.  M&P 9L would be my 2nd choice.  I don't even think of the AR/AK pistols with "arm braces" as handguns since they're essentially SBRs, but they are a LOT of fun.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#10]
a few thing to keep in mind:

What type of trigger system you may want? (DOA, SA, DA/SA etc)

Will it be a carry or strictly a range gun?

What caliber/capacity and size gun

Also keep in mind what will fit your hands. Its good to measure your hand and find the grip size of what you may want. I have medium hands so sub compacts and compacts are perfect. I personally don't buy handguns thats not feasible for me to carry either.

There's alot of different trigger system out there. Its best to read up and maybe YouTube different ones.

People will swear buy 45acp or 9mm. Really you need to know what ur comfortable with handle as far as recoil. Price of ammo also comes to play. you have to enjoy shooting the caliber you choose as well.

Sporting rifles are fun,but not practical for edc. I had a custom AR but rarely shot it. I sold it and got 2 handguns. Now a carry everyday and shoot more often. Something to think about.

If you're able test some out at your local shooting range, do so.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:14:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OP, what kind of budget do you have and what price range did you want to shop for? Do you want a DA/SA like the high power or did you want something different like a striker?

If you like hammer guns and just want a quality range toy as you stated, it's hard to find a better gun on a somewhat low end with the CZ75 B and for high end a Sig 226.

For striker the best right now is the VP9 bar none. M&P9 is another great one too.
View Quote

No HiPower I have ever seen is DA/SA.  It's a single action pistol.  It also has an option to have this funky thing called an SFS which decocks when engaging the safety and cocks the hammer when disengaging.  Only reason I mention that is because maybe you are confusing the two.  But it's not an option you see very often, if barely ever at all.  

If one wants to learn more about HiPowers, we have a forum here and there is a great website called:

mrcampswebsite

As for the OP's question, you can't go wrong with a HiPower and a .357.   But yeah, a .22 would be a good suggestion too.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#12]
If you want a revolver I'd get a GP-100 with whatever barrel length suits your fancy.  

If you want a 9mm I'd get a Glock 19 or a VP9.  

Most any of the Ruger 22 pistols will run pretty well right out of the box.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:25:33 PM EDT
[#13]
357 DA revolver. If you learn to shoot that double action, you can shoot anything.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:01:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Double your budget and buy an HK.

My first was an HK USP 9 that I bought for $800 new.

She's my everything pistol, duty, competition and ccw.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:23:33 AM EDT
[#15]
If I could do it all over again, I would have bought a revolver as my first handgun.  It is easy to use, clean, and it is so freaking fun to shoot.  I would go with a Ruger GP101 or a Smith and Wesson Model 686 with a 4" barrel.  If you decide you want to CCW, go with a J-frame sized revolver.  Good luck and have fun.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Ruger GP 100 and / or Ruger Mk series 22...

Just depends on how much bang you want.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:32:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Good, used S&W .357mag revolver, 586, 686, 19, 66, 27, or 28. Also, a Buckmark or Ruger .22 is a good suggestion as well.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#18]
This is just my opinion,  since you're young and money may not be plentiful I'd look into a gun you can shoot at the range for cheaper and possibly transition to a ccw if so desired. 9mm isn't too expensive and with today's bullet technology is a good self defense round at close quarters. Just decide which action suits you best. Good choices in da/sa would be a CZ P07 or Sig 2022. Strikers would be glock, M&P, PPQ
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
22 pistol.  Ruger Mk II or III or Buckmark.   Learn the basics.  Have fun.  Then move up to something else.  Of your list, the 357 revolver is probably the best bet.  

I have a PPK.  I like it a lot, but not as a first gun.  The Walher P22 is junk.  The Ruger SR 22 is ok.  AR/AK pistols are gimmicks.
View Quote

I agree. Get a 22lr that is a proven design.

I don't know your circumstances. When I was 21, I was working my way through college, and money was tight. Even a 9mm, is fairly expensive to shoot regularly. If you want to get good, get a good 22. Then, put 10,000 rounds a year through it.

When you start looking a centerfires, remember you can get an RL550 for the price of a decent semiauto.

Edit: For me, being as proficient as possible is more fun than the actual machines. Start looking for some local rimfire matches. I promise you will have alot of fun.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Glocks are great first guns cause they are simple but reliable and effective.  Plus cost is decent.  Before you buy a revolver make sure you try the trigger. I've  yet to find a sub $800 production revolver with a trigger I like. If you can afford more than 600 look at sig and the xdm.  Keep in mind 9mm and 40 will be your cheaper to shoot caliber.  The 38/357, 45, 357sig and 380 will cost you more per box.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Glock is a good reliable first pistol.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:08:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Glock is a good reliable first pistol.
View Quote

True. But there are also other manufacturers that produce options that may have features or characteristics that Glock does not provide, as well as being reliable.

Striker Fired :
M&P, PPQ, P99, FNS, XDM, P320, VP9, etc.

DA/SA :
Sigs in general, CZs, 3rd gen Smith and Wesson, FNX, etc.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Thank you guys for the input. When it comes down to it im looking for a range toy. I like the idea of a 22 since they are cheap and i can shoot them all day. The revolver is something i really want to add to my collection and 357 ammo isnt out of my budget. For the AR and AK pistol i like the idea since i already have an AR and SKS so i can interchange ammo plus i really like the idea of them, only thing is they are really expensive.  As far as getting a mag fed i prefer DA/SA over striker. The more i think about it though i do like the idea of Getting a CZ
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thank you guys for the input. When it comes down to it im looking for a range toy. I like the idea of a 22 since they are cheap and i can shoot them all day. The revolver is something i really want to add to my collection and 357 ammo isnt out of my budget. For the AR and AK pistol i like the idea since i already have an AR and SKS so i can interchange ammo plus i really like the idea of them, only thing is they are really expensive.  As far as getting a mag fed i prefer DA/SA over striker. The more i think about it though i do like the idea of Getting a CZ
View Quote
Try before you buy would be my suggestion, if you're able to. I simply loved my CZ75B.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:52:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Try before you buy would be my suggestion, if you're able to. I simply loved my CZ75B.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am 47 years old, have 10 Glocks, several SIGs, Beretta, wheelguns, 1911's but just bought my first CZ-75 Police.  I am thinking WHY I waited so long on the CZ???  Wonderful gun... OP you have your whole life ahead of you, whatever you buy, get quality.  Everyone needs a good quality wheelgun, a 22 plinker, and a nice autoloader.  You also need a 1911 of some flavor.  Look at your budget and what your choices are.  Whatever you do, make sure you research your purchase before you buy.  Doing that could have saved me uncounted dollars and headaches.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#26]
I picked up my first handgun last year, I had been wanting to get a .22 but with the panic in full swing at the time that wasn't a smart move.

Instead I got a great deal on a minty 50yr old S&W 28-2 .357 and couldn't have been happier.

It was within your budget, good for the range or home defense, and can go from light recoiling .38 specials to thumping .357 magnum loads.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#27]
here are some good choices for a first handgun to buy when you turn 21:

.22 handguns and revolvers:
Ruger Mark II or Mark III
Ruger Single Six
Browning Buckmark
S&W Model 17 on the used market
S&W Model 617

semi autos:
Glock 17
Glock 19
CZ 75
Sig P226
Beretta 92
Walther PPQ
a decent 1911

revolvers:
Ruger GP100
Ruger Blackhawk
S&W 586 or 686
S&W Model 28 on the used market
S&W Model 66
S&W Model 19 on the used market
S&W Model 64
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:12:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Was shopping on Davidson's and found that the Walther PPX M1 SD was going for $302 OTD to my local dealer...not the fanciest gun but a good gun and probably a fantastic first gun due to its simplicity.  Seems to work pretty much like a Glock.  The overall profile looks similar to a hipoint which is unfortunate and it prob will not be a great summer concealment gun but I'm considering it for the wife for the house and maybe a second one for the BOB...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top