Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2014 2:38:42 PM EDT
Trolling for suggestions.   As I get more experienced, I'm trying to fine tune my pistol selection to what I like and need instead of having a "collection."

I'm looking for a new carry piece for appendix carry or strong side.  I shoot better with DA or DAO firearms.  My carry piece now is a J Frame.  I don't like that it's only 5 shots (a medium concern), the actual cylinder is the thick part so despite being a tiny gun it can print like a large one.  My biggest complaint is the actual ballistics.  I can fire 357 magnums from it but good luck on me hitting anything.  I simply can not handle 357 out of this gun.  I knew I could not when I bought it, but I was hoping training would improve that and I was buying for overbuilt gun when I'd use 38 or 38+p.   Training did not help that much (kinda expected that).  

So if I drop to 38 or 38+p, then why not look at a semi auto?

I've tried striker fired guns and I'm not great with them.  I'm better with DA or DAO.  I have many striker fired guns, but they are range weapons.  Just my preference.  

I own a Sig 290rs and its a neat gun.  It's not for me.  I have a normal body that goes along with being 6 feet tall.  So getting a grip on the gun is harder.  Shoots fine.  

Lately I've been transitioning to shooting my p30 a lot and I like it very much.  I've been contemplating getting the p2000sk in 9mm.  I've only seen one and it fit nice, but it wasn't for rent.  

It's a good bit bigger but felt fine.  What other 9mm would you all recommend I consider and research?   Another Sig variant?  The smaller Walther 99AS?  A Kahr? My budget is generous and most likely I'd sell off all the others I have accumulated.

I should mention that I understand that any firearm can be successfully carried concealed.  I do understand that.  I also know it's exceptionally difficult to conceal when I'm chasing a 2 year old around or carrying loads of groceries or bending over and being active.  And wearing normal clothing.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#1]
most of the time.... defending your self you
are not going to need to shoot
well hold on
some FBI stats say...
3 feet
3 seconds
3 bullets
no need to shoot somebody RUNNING away

probably not going to have LONG conversations about who shoot who

and it SHOULD be  ALL over WITH  in 3 SHOTS...

SO what i'm saying
ANY GUN WILL WORK FOR ME.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Based on your trigger preferences, I recommend a Kahr.
I have three. Love 'em.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#3]
You can tune the trigger of a Glock with a NY1 spring and a - connector and you get a DA trigger with about 6# pull.

With the NY1 trigger spring and the 3.5 connector (-) you get a log revolver feel to the trigger and it is slightly heavier than the stock setup by .5# and it is a consistent same pull through the whole trigger no take up.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#4]
If you like DA / DAO, and want a slim carry gun, I too would recommend a Kahr.

Personally I prefer the P-9.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you like DA / DAO, and want a slim carry gun, I too would recommend a Kahr.

Personally I prefer the P-9.
View Quote

Or if you don't mind something out of production, a S&W 3913.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can tune the trigger of a Glock with a NY1 spring and a - connector and you get a DA trigger with about 6# pull.

With the NY1 trigger spring and the 3.5 connector (-) you get a log revolver feel to the trigger and it is slightly heavier than the stock setup by .5# and it is a consistent same pull through the whole trigger no take up.
View Quote

You know that's exactly what I did!   It helped clean up the trigger a lot in my opinion but I still prefer DA/DAO.  

Any particular model of Kahr?   I'm leaning toward the mk9.  Only because it's all metal.  Again, it's not available to rent.  Actually I've never seen one at a lgs.  

I love old smiths.  I believe that is the lady smith?  Is that correct?

Edit. Just re read the recommendation for the p9
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You know that's exactly what I did!   It helped clean up the trigger a lot in my opinion but I still prefer DA/DAO.  

Any particular model of Kahr?   I'm leaning toward the mk9.  Only because it's all metal.  Again, it's not available to rent.  Actually I've never seen one at a lgs.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're referring to the 3913, there were several versions. The standard 3913, the 3913LS or Lady Smith which had the angled dust cover and non-ambi safety/decocker, the 3913NL which was the same but had "no logo" for those guys that liked the features of the LS, but didn't want to carry a gun with "Lady Smith" on it, and there were two TSW, or Tactical S&W versions.

I have a standard 3913, and a 3914LS, which is the blued version.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll keep an eye out locally.  The GB prices are high.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'll keep an eye out locally.  The GB prices are high.
View Quote

Keep haunting your local gun stores, that's where I've found mine. If you're willing to go .45acp, and don't mind blued, consider also the Model 457. Just a bit bigger than the 3913, but  with a much bigger hole in the front. These can be found even online for a fair price right now.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#10]
The p2000sk LEM is a great CC gun. I'm 5'6", and slender and can  conceal it very well in a iwb holster. I think is a good median between DAO and trigger weight of other systems.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 7:05:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Sig 220 might fit the bill...
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Do you have a indoor range in your area that rents pistols?
If so see what selection they have and if it is anything you like/afford; rent a few and see what you like.

I would not buy a pair of shoes with out trying them on... renting or getting a well supplied shooting buddy is the way.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 7:18:47 PM EDT
[#13]
After trying a bunch of them I decided on a Kahr CM9 for concealed carry. I can make it disappear and after some practice am very accurate with it at 25' and is 100% reliable. It is 6+1 and I carry an extra mag. Should be plenty under most circumstances. It is not a range gun but I have others for that. Have found out a CCW gun is a very personal thing. Different strokes for different folks.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do you have a indoor range in your area that rents pistols?
If so see what selection they have and if it is anything you like/afford; rent a few and see what you like.

I would not buy a pair of shoes with out trying them on... renting or getting a well supplied shooting buddy is the way.
View Quote

The pistols I am looking at are not available for rent.  I most likely will be able to find a Kahr but may not be the one I'm looking for.  I can get a feel for the brand but that's about it.  

I mentioned the p2000sk because it's similar (or identical depending who you ask) to the p30 except for the housing.  But it's larger than the other mini 9s.  I have not seen it for rent.   I can call the more out of the way ranges that I don't frequent.   They may.  

A Kahr or the HK are on my short short list.  

Looking for more options,   That's all.  It's bettter to ask up front rather than after.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah the P2KSK is bigger then the other sub compacts. Its only a hair bigger plus is it takes care of capacity issue that the revolver has.... sucks your local shop/range doesn't rent what you possibly want to own

Any fellow shooter's in Steamidliver area wilking to let him trail his options, you may own?

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 12:45:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yeah the P2KSK is bigger then the other sub compacts. Its only a hair bigger plus is it takes care of capacity issue that the revolver has.... sucks your local shop/range doesn't rent what you possibly want to own

Any fellow shooter's in Steamidliver area wilking to let him trail his options, you may own?

View Quote

Thanks.  I figured what my options were and you all pretty much confirmed them. I have a direction to go.  My current carry is great so I have time to try things out and buy a gun that fits.  

I'm not doing the impulse buy again with non NFA stuff.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:22:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Walther PPS 9mm
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:13:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I settled on the Sig P 938
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I agree with the several above that said Kahr. My only issue with them is the full double action trigger, everything else about them is wonderful. They're slim, reliable and the trigger is butter, just has a full length reset.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top