Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/12/2014 5:06:48 PM EDT
So, I bought some reloads from a guy on armslist.  About 30 shots in my Ruger is jammed.  Took it in and the bullet is gone but the barrel and slide are bent.  The gun smith and I figure it was a double load.
He said he would buy the pistol and unused reloads back, but now he is dodging me and not returning emails.
So, besides the important lesson I learned about buying reloads on AL, do I have any recourse with this fella?  What would you do?
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#1]
You paid an idiot tax.

There really isn't anything you CAN do other than learn from this to not shoot someone else's reloads. Unless you signed some sort of liability paperwork with the guy.

Glad you are ok, could have been much worse!
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You paid an idiot tax.
...not shoot someone else's reloads.
View Quote

about covers it.  You should know better.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 5:24:25 PM EDT
[#3]

"So, besides the important lesson I learned about buying reloads on AL........."

Not only AL reloads, but anybody's reloads short of an outfit like Black Hills.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 5:26:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Lesson learned with no injury....move along.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 5:31:30 PM EDT
[#5]
A reload didn't ruin your gun, you did.  Learn your lesson and move on.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I suppose it makes me feel good about the strength of the Ruger...

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pics?
View Quote

This..... Pics or it did not happen.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 6:39:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lesson learned with no injury....move along.
View Quote

^afraid this is it^
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You paid an idiot tax.
...not shoot someone else's reloads.

Never buy/shoot reloads from an unknown source. Would you trust your gun/life to a unknown person that can talk a good talk? Unless I personally know this person... Reloads DO NOT go in any of my guns. Ain't gonna happen. Spend your hard earned money on reloads that some drunk, methed up, inbred hill billy cranked out for a test dummy? NO THANKS.  Lesson learned and move on.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:37:34 PM EDT
[#11]
If he's a legit, licensed ammo manufacturer then you can sue him and maybe he'll cough up rather than have to deal with his insurance going up. He IS a licensed ammo maker right? ATF paperwork and such, right? Now, if he's just some bubba illegally selling his home brew ammo then it won't be worth the legal fees to try and recover your costs. You paid the stupid tax and are lucky you didn't lose body parts. Sorry.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:58:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

So, I bought some reloads from a guy
View Quote

let me tell you about your first mistake....
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:11:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I would be pissed if you actually won anything in court. He's absolutely not liable, and you deserve no recourse.

Buyer beware. He didn't pose it as new ammo, he flat out said it was reloads. You should know the risk, and you consent to it. How in the world is he liable?

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:41:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Hard lesson learned. Not much you can do at this point, just don't do it again.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 2:58:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would be pissed if you actually won anything in court. He's absolutely not liable, and you deserve no recourse.

Buyer beware. He didn't pose it as new ammo, he flat out said it was reloads. You should know the risk, and you consent to it. How in the world is he liable?

View Quote

It depends though. If the seller is actually a licensed 06 FFL selling his own reloads, then the seller absolutely IS liable for selling defective ammo.

If it's just some Joe Blow reloading ammo to sell on armslist to make a quick buck (which is a felony if he's loading up the ammo just for the express purpose of reselling it) then yeah.... the OP is a ding-a-ling for buying it in the first place.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Ding-a-ling OP here.  Is there anyway to find out if he has a license?  Even if he does not, it is a business in the sense he would have to declare income, which I doubt he is doing.
It was a Ruger P8? series built like a tank.  I thank God there was not an injury or worse.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ding-a-ling OP here.  Is there anyway to find out if he has a license?  Even if he does not, it is a business in the sense he would have to declare income, which I doubt he is doing.
It was a Ruger P8? series built like a tank.  I thank God there was not an injury or worse.
View Quote

If you bought them from some random guy on Armslist without a business behind him I'd almost guarantee he isn't an 06 and paying related fees. You bought Bubba's Special Recipe Reloads and you've likely hit the end of the road as far as remediation prospects go.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Can you contact Armslist to see if they can help you get in touch with him? It's likely he is operating an illegal business, but he can just disappear and have no further contact. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Tough lesson to learn.
You could have a friend contact him through armslist and arrange a meeting to buy some ammo.
When he shows up, well, COC and all that nonsense .
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Chalk it up to a lesson learned. It sucks but unless the guy sticks to his word you are probably out your cash.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because as the re-manufacturer he is responsible for checking the things that the end consumer cannot without disassembly and possible lab work.
Case condition, primer, and appropriate powder and charge thereof come to mind.
Really no different than the liabilities a manufacturer of new ammunition assumes when they provide their wares.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:27:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Chalk it up to a lesson learned. It sucks but unless the guy sticks to his word you are probably out your cash.
View Quote

Yes, some lessons suck.  But I typically just stick factory ammo.  I shot some reloads that someone was teaching me how to reload and I was there when we made them.  They were fine, except they didn't cycle the action.  Too weak.  But no harm done.  But it's just not something you want to do.  But yeah, black hills blue is awesome stuff.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 2:12:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Just so I get it all right:

In a day that ammo is cheap and plentiful, you decided to cheap ass this a couple of cents more.  

In the process, you start off your story, EXACTLY like every freaking KB story does on here.  "This guys reloads", "Gun show special"....on and on.  

You get what you paid for, and that was an education.  

Now, you want to get a little payback, by tattling on him for not claiming taxes.  Which I'd bet every guy on here has done once, in their life.  Ever mow grass as a kid?  

Yes, it sucks huge amounts, I'll give that to you.  Use the education you bought, count your very lucky blessings that you are not injured, and move on.  The guy isn't going to pay for jack, so save yourself the heartache of fooling yourself into believing that also.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#24]
No, you don't get it.
Quoted:
Just so I get it all This guys reloads", "Gun show special"....on and on.  
9mm was going for $20 a box around here and this was 12.50.  This issue has been going on for almost a year.
No, I did not get what I paid for.  If the add would have read, "may be an occasional double load" then I would have gotten what I paid for.
Now, you want to get a little payback, by tattling on him for not claiming taxes.  Which I'd bet every guy on here has done once, in their life.  Ever mow grass as a kid?  
He agreed to pay.  I did not tattle on him as I did not mention his name nor said he did not pay taxes.  The tax point was that income (profit) from "other" sources was taxable and can be considered a business and therefore have proper insurance.
Yes, it sucks huge amounts, I'll give that to you.  Use the education you bought, count your very lucky blessings that you are not injured, and move on.  The guy isn't going to pay for jack, so save yourself the heartache of fooling yourself into believing that also.
I did not buy education, I learned a lesson.  I did gave thanks as I do daily, just an extra one.  Received a tracking number today...we shall see what's in the envelope.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, it seems that in spite of yourself, you will remain defiant, in the fact that you bought shit ammo, and gambled and lost.  

Yes, yes I do get it, just as everybody else in this thread does.  Do yourself a search on the interwebz, concerning KB's, and what goes on in threads concerning them.  Money bet, that shit reloads are to blame 98% of the time.  

Whether you wish to man up, I really don't care.  Lesson/education, whatever.  Regardless of what you want to call it, you got it.  Your problem is, that you went this route, and then when you had an issue, start trying to see if he was a licensed ammo maker.  Seems ass backwards to me.  

Let us know how this works out.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 12:01:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Just buy like 45 more boxes of those reloads. Then you'll have saved enough money with the price difference compared to factory ammo to replace the Ruger!
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 12:42:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well, it seems that in spite of yourself, you will remain defiant, in the fact that you bought shit ammo, and gambled and lost.  

Yes, yes I do get it, just as everybody else in this thread does.  Do yourself a search on the interwebz, concerning KB's, and what goes on in threads concerning them.  Money bet, that shit reloads are to blame 98% of the time.  

Whether you wish to man up, I really don't care.  Lesson/education, whatever.  Regardless of what you want to call it, you got it.  Your problem is, that you went this route, and then when you had an issue, start trying to see if he was a licensed ammo maker.  Seems ass backwards to me.  

Let us know how this works out.
View Quote

I think you should go after the guy.  Try whatever is at your disposal.  Do it for the children.  

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 1:08:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just buy like 45 more boxes of those reloads. Then you'll have saved enough money with the price difference compared to factory ammo to replace the Ruger!
View Quote

Epic plan.  Seems legit.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, the guy came through.  Received $ today.  Now I get to buy a new pistol.  Didn't get what it was fully worth but it is something.

And just to be clear, I didn't mean to sound whinny.  I said I learned a lesson but wanted to know what you would do in this situation, let it go or keep pressing on.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Well, the guy came through.  Received $ today.  Now I get to buy a new pistol.  Didn't get what it was fully worth but it is something.

And just to be clear, I didn't mean to sound whinny.  I said I learned a lesson but wanted to know what you would do in this situation, let it go or keep pressing on.
View Quote

There really isn't much to let go of.  You bought shit ammo, and blew up your pistol.  Did he send you a coupon for ammo too?

Honestly, I could not care less.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Lol, you seem to care the most.  Thanks for your support.  Love you
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are lucky as hell that (a) you didn't get injured shooting some Bubba reloads, and (b) that you got any money back.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So, I bought some reloads from a guy on armslist.  About 30 shots in my Ruger is jammed.  Took it in and the bullet is gone but the barrel and slide are bent.  The gun smith and I figure it was a double load.
He said he would buy the pistol and unused reloads back, but now he is dodging me and not returning emails.
So, besides the important lesson I learned about buying reloads on AL, do I have any recourse with this fella?  What would you do?
View Quote

If he admitted he sold you reloads and you can prove it call the BATFE. They will proceed to get balls deep in his ass.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:35:54 PM EDT
[#34]
I bought some reloads years ago at a gun show, ( I was a newbie then). I took them out to the range and one of them I fired didn't sound normal. The gun cycled and I fired another round,(an idiot move), but fortunately, the gun did not have any damage. Even if you reload your own,buy a scale and every once in a while,weigh a round and look for anything out of spec..
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:22:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I bought some reloads years ago at a gun show, ( I was a newbie then). I took them out to the range and one of them I fired didn't sound normal. The gun cycled and I fired another round,(an idiot move), but fortunately, the gun did not have any damage. Even if you reload your own,buy a scale and every once in a while,weigh a round and look for anything out of spec..
View Quote

Very sage advice, and a small fucking price to pay for your eyes/hands.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Only reloads I use are my own.  I wouldn't permit others to shoot mine.  If I error, only I will bear the result.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Weighing a round will tell you absolutely nothing.  Powder comprises about 2% of a pistol cartridge's weight.  There is enough variance in bullet and case weight to hide a double charge of powder.  Don't give advice to people when you know nothing about the subject.  This advice could get someone blown up.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Because as the re-manufacturer he is responsible for checking the things that the end consumer cannot without disassembly and possible lab work.
Really no different than the liabilities a manufacturer of new ammunition assumes when they provide their wares.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In theory I agree 100 percent. However the effort expended to force the guy to make it right will not be worth it.

The op didn't agree to buy dangerous ammunition from the shithead, but I would move on.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#39]
I see he did make it right, glad to hear.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So, I bought some reloads from a guy on armslist.  
View Quote

Ummmm, yea.

I wouldn't do that again....
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
No, you don't get it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
No, you don't get it.
Quoted:
Just so I get it all This guys reloads", "Gun show special"....on and on.  
9mm was going for $20 a box around here and this was 12.50.  This issue has been going on for almost a year.
No, I did not get what I paid for.  If the add would have read, "may be an occasional double load" then I would have gotten what I paid for.
He agreed to pay.  I did not tattle on him as I did not mention his name nor said he did not pay taxes.  The tax point was that income (profit) from "other" sources was taxable and can be considered a business and therefore have proper insurance.
I did not buy education, I learned a lesson.  I did gave thanks as I do daily, just an extra one.  Received a tracking number today...we shall see what's in the envelope.

Good lord - what did you expect with this post ?
Suck it up buttercup
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Heh, I don't remember asking if it was a dumb idea or not.  I fully accept my mistake on buying reloads.  I merely asked what would members do in the situation stated in the first post.
I even called my self a ding-a-ling (as one member phrased it) now I will call myself a stupid shit, dumb ass, fuck-up...(add your own here).  thank you sir, may I have another.

Just don't get the thread moved as I'm sure someone else reading learned a thing about reloads.  In fact, maybe its not the gun that is important...its the bullets.  but that's not as fun is it?
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Things happen.

Hell hornandy blew my AR sky high one time. I got some free ammo from them but not enough to cover all damages. I recall the guy apologizing up and down on the phone. I had to keep telling him I wasn't mad about it. I guess hes gotten a few calls from others where they blew up on him.

I just look at it as a fact of life.

If you shoot enough something bad will eventually happen. I have only had problems out of factory ammo. Magtech in .45 resulted in a squibb several years back.

Maybe this outlook I have made me not care so much about it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Move on.  No one who knows what they are doing shoots any reloads besides the ones they reload themselves.

Black Hills is not reloads, just a reused cartridge case spec'd to new again.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#46]
I might have gotten ahead of myself. I meant weigh all parts(especially if you cast your own) and check powder charge as well, as your going. Reloading is not something to be taken lightly and can cause great harm if not done right. If you reload, you should do this every so often if you have a progressive press, single stage,etc., and check cases for anything not right. Brass is cheap. I have experience in reloading and have done it for years. If you reload, invest in good equipment and research what the equipment does. Make sure you get a good scale, as it will help you tremendously.

We have all had to learn, some of us the hard way. Good to see your ok.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Wow it wasn't a Glock that KB'd!!! OMG!!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#48]
2 pages and not one pic of said KB'd pistol????
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
2 pages and not one pic of said KB'd pistol????
View Quote

I don't have a photo bucket account.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I see he did make it right, glad to hear.
View Quote

Made it right when he didn't have to...this is a known risk with reloads. The guy didn't need to feel obligated to make anything "right."
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top