Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2014 8:15:33 PM EDT
OK

I'm told I have 4-6 weeks till my permit shows up.  Yes NY sucks, I should move, etc.

I'm thinking of getting 2 pistols.

Pistol 1 1911 because well 1911.  What type/brand

Pistol 2 something in 9mm.  I'm thinking a carry gun.

I'm left handed and have 10 round magazine restriction.  I have no real training(which I will be getting ASAP) so nobody taught me the wrong way, yet and I'm not brand specific.

I've been looking at the sig p250 2sum where you get a full size frame and a compact that switches the internals.  I figure it will give me practice with 2 size pistols with the same action.  I know you need to get the 2nd generation as there were problems with the first.

My budget for both pistols combined is $3,000.  That should include holsters and night sights as well.  I've been waiting a long time for this so there may be some wiggle room for the right pistols.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:46:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Contrary to popular belief, good 1911's can be had for cheap.  If you just want a cheap blaster for the range, look at Rock Island.  If you want a gun to get work done down the road, look at a Springfield Milspec or a Colt series 70 (series 80's are okay too, I personally can't tell the difference, but some people don't like them."

Tons of good compact options out there.  Since you have a 10 round mag limit, I would stay away from midsize like Glock 19 (and even though it hurts me to say this, my beloved CZ 75 compact or PCR) since you will be losing the main thing that separates them from subcompact or single stack pistols.  Maybe a Colt LW commander or a HK p2000 sk.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#2]
You can get a 10 round mag for a G19. Then when you do move, you can get the full capacity mags.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:13:23 PM EDT
[#3]
For that budget and those restrictions I'd get a Walther PPS in 9mm for carry and a Colt Wiley Clapp Series 70 Government.

The rest would go for mags, ammo, etc.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:03:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't looked at walther. I will. Is the 250 any good? I haven't  heard anything bad about the 2nd gen guns. As far as 1911 goes it has to be ambi.

Thanks for the input .
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Food for thought.

While nostalgic and all that....the 1911 platform is not for the neophyte.
You want to build skills.  And, success with putting rounds on target. with regularity.

Ideally a point and click interface.....
A nice revolver might be such a gun, but another option

Go with striker fired guns. M&P or Glock or Sig 320 or HK VOP9

You can get a 22LR conversion for say a full size 17 and carry a 19.
Save money and get quality training. Perhaps a trip to Sig Academy?
Get some good initial gun handling course and then build upon that with practice...
no just dumping ammo down range.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:39:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Food for thought.

While nostalgic and all that....the 1911 platform is not for the neophyte.
You want to build skills.  And, success with putting rounds on target. with regularity.

Ideally a point and click interface.....
A nice revolver might be such a gun, but another option

Go with striker fired guns. M&P or Glock or Sig 320 or HK VOP9

You can get a 22LR conversion for say a full size 17 and carry a 19.
Save money and get quality training. Perhaps a trip to Sig Academy?
Get some good initial gun handling course and then build upon that with practice...
no just dumping ammo down range.
View Quote

If he wants to build skills that will directly translate to a cernterfire he should get a cz 75 with a kadet kit IMO.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:12:02 AM EDT
[#7]
1911 Colt Gold Cup

9mm ? I'm not a 9mm guy,  sorry. I carry a Para P-12,  they make 10 rounders for them. Add ambidextrous safety and triticom sights.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:30:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Is the permit you're waiting on a concealed carry permit, or is it a permit to purchase?

If it's not a CCW permit, I'd completely skip buying any kind of smaller handgun. Concealability is their only advantage, and they suck at everything else.

I'd also completely skip the double stacks if I was working with the limits you are.

In addition to 1911s, I'd suggest looking at the single stack 3rd gen S&W autos and the Sig P6.

For carry, maybe consider the S&W Shield.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Another option :
SELL everything, and get OUT of NewYork.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:24:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Another option : SELL everything, and get OUT of NewYork.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:34:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Glock 30SF
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Skip the Sig P250. Get a Glock, Smith & Wesson M&P, or HK VP9 in 9mm and the 1911.

There are many good choices in 1911's. Your budget is more than enough to cover a Glock or M&P plus a nice 1911, although you don't really need to spend a ton to get a good 1911 anymore. The Springfield Range Officer can be found for under $700 and is an excellent gun for the money. Colts can be easily found for under $1000. Dan Wesson also makes some excellent 1911's in the $1100-1500 range.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Glock 30SF
View Quote

+1

ETA: damn dude, what's with the avatar of the day?
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 6:42:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is the permit you're waiting on a concealed carry permit, or is it a permit to purchase?

If it's not a CCW permit, I'd completely skip buying any kind of smaller handgun. Concealability is their only advantage, and they suck at everything else.

I'd also completely skip the double stacks if I was working with the limits you are.

In addition to 1911s, I'd suggest looking at the single stack 3rd gen S&W autos and the Sig P6.

For carry, maybe consider the S&W Shield.
View Quote

The permit is for carry as well as own. The 9mm will be a carry weapon so take that into consideration. The 1911 has to be ambidextrous.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 7:49:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OK

I'm told I have 4-6 weeks till my permit shows up.  Yes NY sucks, I should move, etc.

I'm thinking of getting 2 pistols.

Pistol 1 1911 because well 1911.  What type/brand

Pistol 2 something in 9mm.  I'm thinking a carry gun.

I'm left handed and have 10 round magazine restriction.  I have no real training(which I will be getting ASAP) so nobody taught me the wrong way, yet and I'm not brand specific.

I've been looking at the sig p250 2sum where you get a full size frame and a compact that switches the internals.  I figure it will give me practice with 2 size pistols with the same action.  I know you need to get the 2nd generation as there were problems with the first.

My budget for both pistols combined is $3,000.  That should include holsters and night sights as well.  I've been waiting a long time for this so there may be some wiggle room for the right pistols.

Thanks
View Quote

Don't worry. The bad guys have the same restriction on them also.

I would get a SIG 220 for the 45.  Great gun. I know you want a 1911 but that is my recommendation.

For the 9mm. Get a Smith and Wesson 3913.  One of the best compact 9mm's ever made IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 9:19:54 AM EDT
[#16]
For a 10 round carry gun I'd either look at a G26 with standard mags or a G19 with commie mags. As for the 191-, I have only shot Sig 1911s to much extent and liked them pretty well. As mentioned, RIA makes pretty good pistols for the money too. If it is just a fun gun there are several 9mm 1911s out there so you could stock up on 9mm ammo.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#17]
If you can carry a mid-size like a G19, then get yourself an M&P45c.  If I was ever stuck in a state with mag limits, I would have the 45c every time.  It'll carry 8 rounds with the flush-fit mags and it has the option for 10 and 14.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#18]
S&W 1911 and a Glock 19.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#19]
As a Lefty who carries and is also limited to 10 rounds. My carry choices are PPS 9mm, Glock 19 with factory 10 round mags, and XDM compact 45.

I also have a XDS 9mm, which I shoot great and enjoy shooting, the PPS just does it all a little bit better for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top