Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2014 12:36:38 PM EDT

I know I'm opening myself up to a bit of scrutiny, but I don't like Glocks. So I am looking for my first handgun elsewhere. As far as preferences:

I am kind of partial to the 9MM, but realistically I am drawn to it only because ammo is cheap and recoil can be low. I do reload, so I imagine recoil can be low with any caliber, but 9MM brass and bullets are cheap as well.

This is not a concealed carry handgun, just for shooting at the range.

Thinking about the Walther PPQ M2. I have heard some good things about the HK VP9.

Any thoughts? Or any other handguns that are fantastic out?

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#1]
This is a good site to do some browsing on 9mm.

http://www.best9mm.com/

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is a good site to do some browsing on 9mm.

http://www.best9mm.com/

View Quote
Thank you Sir!

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#3]
A Sig P226 CPO keeps the price down to a realistic price and it's a great entry level pistol imho.

Sig has reconditioned all the pistols they offer as CPO's and they come with a one year warranty.  

http://www.onlinegundeals.com/ItemDetails/784211895/SIG_SAUER_P226_9MM_CERTIFIED_PREOWNE.htm

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:47:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I know I'm opening myself up to a bit of scrutiny, but I don't like Glocks. So I am looking for my first handgun elsewhere. As far as preferences:
I am kind of partial to the 9MM, but realistically I am drawn to it only because ammo is cheap and recoil can be low. I do reload, so I imagine recoil can be low with any caliber, but 9MM brass and bullets are cheap as well.
This is not a concealed carry handgun, just for shooting at the range.
Thinking about the Walther PPQ M2. I have heard some good things about the HK VP9.
Any thoughts? Or any other handguns that are fantastic out?

View Quote

If you are partial to striker-fired pistols - HK VP9 and Walther PPQ are the best options for 9 mm. S&W M&P9 with Apex Trigger is near close.

However, for a range use only (and with no price limitation - at least you didn't mention any) - there are better options for 9 mm IMHO:
1. HK USP 9 mm - Custom Sport/Expert/Elite
2. Sig Sauer P226 X5 - so many versions
3. CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow/Tactical
Listed in order of MY preferrence.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#5]
If you aren't interested in Glock...then I'd go HK VP9.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#6]
What kind of shooting at the range?

VP9 is a nice gun. I joined in on a range session the other day and shot a p226 Elite, a SP01 Accu-shadow and a VP9. Honestly, my tinkered and toyed with Apex heavy M&P9 was just as capable as the VP9, except the VP9 has a nice position for the slide release that aids in smooth reloads like the Sig.

The Sig was fantastic with a hell of a trigger, but the CZ outclassed it, but it's essentially a custom shop gun, so not surprising.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:16:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Unless you have smallish hands, I vote that the beretta 92FS would be an excellent first 9mm. Easy to shoot, lots of mags available at good prices, as well as holsters and other stuff.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:37:43 PM EDT
[#8]
CZ-75

But you can learn to like the Glocks.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
CZ-75

But you can learn to like the Glocks.
View Quote

+1...and the reward is great.  

If you can get past the initial "eww, that looks icky," or the ever popular  "that feels like a block" mentality that is so often regurgitated, you'll discover that in many ways, it one of the finest shooting machines ever devised.  

I own and shoot "finer" / more expensive pistols, but I trust my life to Glock.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:09:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I have to ask.  Why don't you like glocks?  You can buy a used one off cdnn for $300 a beat it as a range gun. Maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't, but still the end of the day you will have a camping, hiking, shtf, etc handgun and you can then look to something more fancy if you want.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Find a place that rents. Try a few out.
If a SIG fits your hand, the M11-A1 is a nice piece.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:48:52 AM EDT
[#12]
The OP said no Glocks and still the usual two try and try to push their agenda in the handgun discussion tech thread area. Have some respect for the OP and strive to help them with what they want instead of what you want, FFS.

It ain't that hard, all you have to do is actually try.

OP, the examples already given by the poster's above are all fine examples, ignore the upset and their emotional attachment. Is their a rental range nearby you or possibly some friends with an eclectic collection for you to trial? Does bore axis matter? Aluminum, steel, or polymer matter? DA/SA or striker? Are you a trigger snob or will any do? Rail or no rail? General purpose gun or will this be for a specific only gun such as 3 gun or a range toy only?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:50:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have to ask.  Why don't you like glocks?  You can buy a used one off cdnn for $300 a beat it as a range gun. Maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't, but still the end of the day you will have a camping, hiking, shtf, etc handgun and you can then look to something more fancy if you want.
View Quote
Help him with what he wants and not what you want.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:30:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Honestly, for a first handgun, I strongly suggest something in .22LR. The Ruger SR22* is a good choice but there are many good offerings available.

1) They are cheap right now. ~$300 new-in-box
2) The ammunition is still cheap compared to centerfire rounds (although not as cheap or available as pre-FBHO)
3) Most importantly, you will be able to focus on learning how to SHOOT a handgun; sights, grip, stance, trigger control, follow through, etc. instead of just reacting to recoil. You can then quickly move on to carry techniques, the draw and shooting from other than normal positions (one-handed, weak-handed, point shooting, from the ground, around cover, etc.

You will eventually buy a centerfire handgun and the skills you develop will transfer but you will never regret owning a good .22 as well.

*My only issue with the Ruger SR22 is that the safety is the reverse of most other handguns and that it has a magazine safety. Both of these are bad features with which to train new shooters.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:50:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really, so let me ask you.  What should we recommend, something we don't like?  If he doesn't want an opinion, he shouldn't ask.
Yeah, we should all tell him to go buy POS just to be sure we don't have any bias in the game.

OK OP, go to cdnn and order a police trade in in a sig, beretta,  or whatever the flavor of the month is there.  Since it's your first handgun it really doesn't matter what you buy.  Of course that may be a bit bias too since a lot of us have those brands too.

If it's his first handgun then it's a fair question why he doesn't want a glock.  Maybe he needs guidance.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:59:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Ok OP , here are a few thoughts from my point of view .

You mention range only . Go looking for a full size gun . Pretty much any compact or sub compact has been made with certain concessions to make it smaller or lighter and therefore it also is harder to shoot well . Full size will have better grip , better sights ,less felt recoil .

You mention reloading and that makes 45acp jump into my mind . A full sized 45acp with mid range target loads is a real joy to shoot . Compared to reloading rifle cases the 45 is easy peasy , brass lasts forever , never needs trimming and component cost is about 1/3 the cost of white box discount ammo

I agree with the folks telling you to try and shoot a bunch of guns before you buy .Fit and Feel is a funny thing and bouncing the gun in your hand at the gun store counter is a poor substitute for actually shooting it
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I would recommend a .22 as a first handgun. This can be done in several ways. One way is to get a dedicated .22, like a Ruger MK III or 22/45. Another way is to get the 9mm of your choice with a .22 conversion. I really like my CZ-75 and Kadet conversion, but I also have several other dedicated guns and conversions. In the dark safe they seem to multiply.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:46:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the info guys. Ill make sure to check out the suggestions to the best of my ability. I don't have a range that allows rentals in my area I don't think, but I have a buddy with a 1911 .45 and a bunch of various Sigs. Ill see if I can get him to bring a bunch and see how they all differ. That wont help much with the other suggestions, but at least I'll have a bit more experience.

As far as .22's are concerned, I do plan on picking up one eventually. Is it really better to learn on it prior to picking up a larger caliber? Honestly I've only ever shot a G17, a Colt 1911, and a Kimber .45, so I don't have a whole lot of experience. (I used to live in California)

And for the glock lovers, I know they are fantastic machines. For me they don't feel ergonomic at all in the hand, and aesthetics of the weapon does carry some weight in my decision. Again, grew up in California...

Again, thanks for all the help!

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:05:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Absolutely better to learn on a 22 ( thankfully the ammo shortage is easing up to make this again a viable option) low cost ammo almost no recoil and after the pistol is zeroed ( get a target grade model with adjustable sights NOT one of the current crop of combat trainers with fixed sights and heavy triggers ) any deviation from applying the fundamentals will be obvious and more easily corrected than the larger calibers.
Everyone likes to do a mag dump but when you start shoot slow and do not over do it ( concentrate on the fundamentals never get sloppy with technique and limit yourself to about 100 rounds per practice session and shoot no faster than ten rounds a minute)
Keep in mind five one hundred round practice sessions will help you much more than one 500 round session.
After a certain number of rounds fatigue sets in and you get sloppy. Those sloppy performances at the end of a long range session is what your mind will remember and you will end up repeating mistakes next time.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:46:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Get a Colt 1911 in 9mm. Them things are awesome
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:53:09 AM EDT
[#21]
I understand not liking Glock.  I like mine but they aren't for everybody.  If you have only shot a 17 at least try a 19 before you write them off totally.  Now that being said...

I think the M&P line has Glock beat hands down in ergos.  My M&P 9 conceals extremely well.  Better than some of my smaller guns

I had some issues with it NIB and had to be sent back so I haven't shot it enough to depend on it for my EDC yet.  

My other suggestions are a Sig 228 (some great LE trade deals out there) The M11-a1 is no the same no matter what people tell you.  My 228 is just a great shooter and impresses everybody that shoots it.

And the new guy on the scene the Sig 320 looks very promising.  

The VP9 looks like its ok but a little big and I have no experience with it so...YMMV
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The OP said no Glocks and still the usual two try and try to push their agenda in the handgun discussion tech thread area. Have some respect for the OP and strive to help them with what they want instead of what you want, FFS.

OP, the examples already given by the poster's above are all fine examples, ignore the upset and their emotional attachment. Is their a rental range nearby you or possibly some friends with an eclectic collection for you to trial? Does bore axis matter? Aluminum, steel, or polymer matter? DA/SA or striker? Are you a trigger snob or will any do? Rail or no rail? General purpose gun or will this be for a specific only gun such as 3 gun or a range toy only?
View Quote

Who has the agenda here?  The whining and complaining gets so old.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

We made fair and qualified points within the bounds of the question, CoC, and general context of the subforum.

Sorry you are so butthurt.  I'm not here to argue.  This isn't GD, although it is hard to tell sometimes
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

You won't be disappointed with either of those.  Look at an M&P as well.  The triggers are kinda shitty from the factory, but with some Apex parts it is a whole different gun.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Really, so let me ask you.  What should we recommend, something we don't like?  If he doesn't want an opinion, he shouldn't ask.
Yeah, we should all tell him to go buy POS just to be sure we don't have any bias in the game.

OK OP, go to cdnn and order a police trade in in a sig, beretta,  or whatever the flavor of the month is there.  Since it's your first handgun it really doesn't matter what you buy.  Of course that may be a bit bias too since a lot of us have those brands too.

If it's his first handgun then it's a fair question why he doesn't want a glock.  Maybe he needs guidance.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not hard to figure out. He said no Glocks, if you can't think of anything else to recommend besides what OP does NOT want, then it's probably best to move on to the next thread.

Anyway, OP. My opinion for striker fired pistols, VP9 is the budget allows for it, M&P 9 if it doesn't. For hammer fired pistols, P226 or CZ 75. There's also 1911's if that's your cup of tea.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#26]
The last post hit it on the head.  H&K USP or VP9, S/W M&P.  Look at Walther's too.  Test firing highly recommended.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#27]
EAA Witness is a good option.  You can convert the large frame version to multiple calibers by swapping slide assemblies.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#28]
OP, I have no experience with the VP9, but from all accounts it is a solid performer.  That being said I have owned several popular platforms over the years and based on that the PPQ M2 is far and away the best striker fired pistol I've had the pleasure of owning.

It is near perfect ergonomically at least for me, has an outstanding trigger, and is very accurate to boot.  If it fits your hand I would say buy it.  

To the Glock guys....your Glock sucks.

J/K.  Glocks , especially in 9mm are fantastic pistols.  But I find them very uncomfortable and ubiquitous as well.  Glad you like them.  Just don't shove them down everybody's throat.  And not everybody will like my choices either.  So buy what suits you!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The last post hit it on the head.  H&K USP or VP9, S/W M&P.  Look at Walther's too.  Test firing highly recommended.
View Quote

FN also makes good guns.

Canik's TP9 is really cheap, and their new TP9-SA model apparently has a kick-ass trigger, and it takes 92 mags.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Honestly, for a first handgun, I strongly suggest something in .22LR...........You will eventually buy a centerfire handgun and the skills you develop will transfer but you will never regret owning a good .22 as well.

View Quote

THIS!

It's FAR easier to start on a .22LR pistol and practice fundamentals.  Recoil is lower, as is cost of shooting (Even with .22LR being hard to find right now, it's cheaper than ANY 9x19 ammo.)

If you learn good fundamentals on a .22LR, you can transfer those to anything bigger later.

And when you DO buy something bigger, I am willing to bet you WON'T ditch the .22LR gun.  They are just too much fun to keep around and practice with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top