Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2014 8:57:41 AM EDT
Hit the range with my daily carry dead nuts accurate XDm 9mm.  Could not figure out why I could not hit SHIT all day!  After the long day, I packed up with my tail tucked and headed home to clean up.  Once home, cleared weapon for cleaning and SHIT SHIT SHIT!!  I could move my rear sight almost full deflection of the notch rail with no force at all! (meprolight night I had installed over a year ago).  Ok, sorry for long story but I was depressed!  Now,
The hive's thoughts on drilling and tapping said culprit rear sight for a set screw???
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a similar thing recently, I had swapped out a slightly older set of Ameriglo I-Dots onto my Glock 30 and accuracy, which is normally awesome, wasn't there.  Then noticed the rear sight I could push with little to no effort.  You could do a set screw but I took a small thin piece of used up sandpaper and put it under the sight which tightened right up nicely.  In retrospect I had swapped that set of sights out so many times it was just getting wore out and wouldn't grip the dovetails very well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#2]
In before Glock
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Odd, usually the XD sights are in the dovetail tighter than a mofo, is it the correct sight for that model?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Odd, usually the XD sights are in the dovetail tighter than a mofo, is it the correct sight for that model?
View Quote

Yes, it is the correct one.  I watched the smith install them.  They were definitely snug going in.  We then bore sighted and I shot it and we tweaked it just a bit.  I have never had any issue with it until now.  I think I am going to go ahead and drill and tap for a small set screw.  I really don't want these moving around at all even by chance as this is my main carry.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Some days there are better pursuits than target shooting.  I've accepted that some days I shoot great- tight groups, having fun, feeling relaxed- other days I can't hit the side of a barn, I'm tense, not having fun.  When I experience the latter, I just pack up and head home.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes, it is the correct one.  I watched the smith install them.  They were definitely snug going in.  We then bore sighted and I shot it and we tweaked it just a bit.  I have never had any issue with it until now.  I think I am going to go ahead and drill and tap for a small set screw.  I really don't want these moving around at all even by chance as this is my main carry.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who installed the sight?

I wonder if they jacked the dovetail when putting it in.

Youre suppose to remove sights from left to right and install from the right to left. Dunno on that particular gun, but most dovetails are tighter on the left side.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#7]
The best way would be having the rear sight drilled and tapped for a set screw and a small divot drill into the slide to anchor that set screw. But you have to have the sight set in the correct place before you have that done and you might want the machined surfaces finished after than operation.

1911 guys swage the dovetail to tighten-up the dovetail. You can then shoot, mark and set that sight solid.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I wonder if they jacked the dovetail when putting it in.

Youre suppose to remove sights from left to right and install from the right to left. Dunno on that particular gun, but most dovetails are tighter on the left side.
View Quote

This.  They may have installed it from the wrong direction, which would make it hard to push in but not so tight once in place.  

You could try red locktite, but a set screw is probably a better idea (or both).  Drill a through hole and tap it to the correct pitch.  Should be pretty simple.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I turn the sight over and make light dimples on the bottom of of the sight about 1/16" away from the front and rear, and essentially peen the dovetail, making it larger.

You can use a prick punch and hammer, just have to find a way to secure the sight while you do it.
That with some green locktite and youre golden.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I took a little too much off of a sight when fitting a set on one of my pistols.  In order to fix it I took my wire fed welder and welded a small dot on the bottom of the sight and slowly removed a little material at a time until it made a good tight fit in the dovetail. If you have a welder or know anyone who does, this should be an easy fix.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In before Glock
View Quote

Glock

but happened to a friend's G19 - I took the time to show him you don't need the sights for most pistol shooting
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I turn the sight over and make light dimples on the bottom of of the sight about 1/16" away from the front and rear, and essentially peen the dovetail, making it larger.

You can use a prick punch and hammer, just have to find a way to secure the sight while you do it.
That with some green locktite and youre golden.
View Quote

This is the correct fix. Should take 5 min and you will be set for life.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:31:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In before Glock
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:43:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Ameriglo used to offer rear sights with a set screw as a standard product called " user installable sights" for those who do not have an installation tool or want to use the necessary force to install them with a friction fit.
When you take the rear sight out, you could find the answer to the problem. It is not uncommon to sand the bottom of the sights for an easier fit and unfinished surfaces are telltale signs. Maybe the installer got a little carried away...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:40:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In before Glock

But he's right though.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:56:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I have used this for similar applications

It has the viscosity of water and wicks under and into every opening or void. One drop is plenty!

Clean and degrease the sighs and dovetail.
Install the sights where you want them to stay.
Apply one drop of this glue at an edge between the sight base and the dovetail and watch it disappear.
5 seconds later you are done.

It will be on there pretty tight. If you ever need to break the bond, a little acetone will work.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:54:56 AM EDT
[#17]
The original sight was removed and the new installed from the proper direction.  Fully aware of that as well as my smith.  The sight will not remove, only slide back and forth and it was solid for a year with no glue on it.  I thought about the glue thing but not sure how it takes on melonite for one, on heat for two and plain old adjustability for the last.  Also thought about peening the bottom but it is a night sight and I have seen too many people bust the vials by doing such things.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#18]
My embarrassing range day involved a .300WM Model 70 and a "budget" scope.  I went to sight in for an upcoming Elk Hunt, with some new reloads.  I couldn't get the rifle to zero.  I kept checking the mounts and rings, but everything was good and tight.  Finally I noticed that the rear lens on the scope was moving.  It had broken free and was moving all over the place.

The most embarrassing part was it took me 40 rounds to find it and my shoulder and ego were both bruised.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My embarrassing range day involved a .300WM Model 70 and a "budget" scope.  I went to sight in for an upcoming Elk Hunt, with some new reloads.  I couldn't get the rifle to zero.  I kept checking the mounts and rings, but everything was good and tight.  Finally I noticed that the rear lens on the scope was moving.  It had broken free and was moving all over the place.

The most embarrassing part was it took me 40 rounds to find it and my shoulder and ego were both bruised.
View Quote

Last year, I helped my brother sight in his CVA Scout in 35 Whelen. The mount just could not hold on to the scope during recoil. I even tried electric tape around the scope to give the rings something to bite into, but that only worked for a little while. Finally ended up getting another mount that would keep it where it needs to be. So far it has held zero and if I never shoot that damn gun again, I will be just fine. The next day it felt like I had been playing butterbean all the day before.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top