Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2014 8:52:12 PM EDT
I was practicing some reloading drills last weekend at the range, and as a lefty, I've noticed some distinct disadvantages with my tools/technique. Currently my only pistol is a striker and has no external safeties and only the slide stop/mag release on the left side of the weapon. Pretty common setup. Now, dropping the mag and slapping a new one in requires that I toss the pistol to my right hand, hit the release with my right thumb, and pull the mag out with my left hand. Then either hit the slide stop or manually charge it, and toss it back to my left hand to resume firing.

Now, what I don't like is all this switching the gun between my hands. I'd like to find a completely ambidextrous setup (safety, mag release, slide stop) in a hammer fired pistol, free fall mag drop, compact size if possible, 9mm (We can argue calibers in another threads; I'm only looking at 9mm right now). For the sake of this question, I am not brand specific. I wonder if my ideal pistol doesn't exist, but I suspect that I'm not looking hard enough.

And no, I'm not going to learn to shoot with my right hand. I've definitely tried, and it's not...pretty.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:35:54 PM EDT
[#1]
CZ-85?

OR forget the slide stop as a release and sling shot the slide.  S&W 5906, Ruger P94 etc.
Then if you are still comfortable with a striker fired gun with no manual safety, something like a XD, Glock 4th gen,  etc many guns out there without a left hand slide stop/release, but with ambi mag release.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:55:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't understand the whole switching hand thing, if you're left handed, why don't you just use your left index finger to drop the mag.

But to answer your question, the HK P30 V3s fits everything you want I think.  Ambi mag release, slide stop, safety, and decocker is on the rear next to the hammer so it is easily accessible with either hand (can also be had with just the rear decocker and no safety lever).
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:57:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a lefty.

I use the middle finger of my left hand to drop the mag on my M&P's.

I could switch the mag release over to be operated by my left thumb, but I have been using righty mag releases for so long I can't won't try to retrain.

I do, however, like the lefty slide stop on the M&P line.

You WERE looking for a new ( M&P ) pistol that would work ( M&P )well for your requirements ( M&P ) right ?

If I added links to those M&P suggestions, would that add to the subliminal...ness or would it be over the top?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:42:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I use my trigger finger to hit the mag release and slingshot the slide. I really can't remember the last time I used the slide stop to release a slide.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:07:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Trigger finger for mag release for sure. I myself think as a ambi guy ( shoot bullseye lefty and carry idpa with right) the mag catch would be better set up for everyone to hit with the index instead of the thumb!
Some of the h&k's have ambi mag catch and slide lock which may be the way to go. When I shoot lefty I have no problem activating the mag catch and slide lock ( both applying and releasing) with my trigger finger so if you work on technique you can do just fine. You should never have to switch hands to manipulate
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:26:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use my trigger finger to hit the mag release and slingshot the slide. I really can't remember the last time I used the slide stop to release a slide.
View Quote

This

My Commander has a lightened mag release spring.
My Bersa's mag release is fine stock.

When I had XD's both of the mag releases were light enough to hit with my left trigger finger.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Uh, no.

As a fellow lefty, you actually have an advantage over righties.

Keep the pistol in your left hand, use your trigger finger to hit the mag release (much easier than a righty trying to use his thumb), let the mag drop free or help sweep it out with your right hand, draw your spare mag with your right hand, insert it into the pistol, then use your right hand to come up under and trip the slide lock/release, or, better yet, use your right hand to come up over the top and pull the slide back and release to charge.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:47:27 AM EDT
[#8]
PPQ M1 is pretty much the only pure ambidextrous firearm on the market
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Canik Stingray with mag release reversed

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#10]
COMPLETELY ambi with safety and hammer-fired?

FNX-9 maybe?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Lefty with Glocks and M&Ps here.  Use your trigger finger to operate the mag release, then use your support hand to reach underneath and operate the slide release after inserting a fresh magazine.  Or buy an M&P or something else with an ambi slide release.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Lefty with Glocks and M&Ps here.  Use your trigger finger to operate the mag release, then use your support hand to reach underneath and operate the slide release after inserting a fresh magazine.  Or buy an M&P or something else with an ambi slide release.
View Quote

He said he wants something hammer fired.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:56:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Have you looked at the HK series of hammer fired pistols? P30, or for smaller, a P2000SK... The P30 can be had with or without a safety, but it's only on the left side if you want that. Other than that, the slide release and mag releases are ambi.

I have a VP9 striker fired gun, and it's a lot like the P30, not really compact, though... Great fit to my hand with 3 panels to fiddle with.

HK is having a $200 rebate on some of their pistols now...
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:07:10 PM EDT
[#14]
HK P30S
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Have you looked at the HK series of hammer fired pistols? P30, or for smaller, a P2000SK... The P30 can be had with or without a safety, but it's only on the left side if you want that. Other than that, the slide release and mag releases are ambi.

I have a VP9 striker fired gun, and it's a lot like the P30, not really compact, though... Great fit to my hand with 3 panels to fiddle with.

HK is having a $200 rebate on some of their pistols now...
View Quote

The P30S has an ambi safety.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The advice I gave above works on any "right handed"  gun.  But still...hammers belong in your tool box, not on your guns.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted: I'd like to find a completely ambidextrous setup (safety, mag release, slide stop) in a hammer fired pistol, free fall mag drop, compact size if possible, 9mm (We can argue calibers in another threads; I'm only looking at 9mm right now). For the sake of this question, I am not brand specific..
View Quote

Lefty here.

Get a Gen 2 P250.

You can reverse the mag release if you like.  I don't.  I prefer the mag release on the left side and use my trigger finger to operate it.

The P250 is hammer fired and has ambi slide locks.  I do not use them but you can if you like.

I've owned many top-end pistols in my years of gun ownership starting in the 70's and recently left my SIG 200-series pistols behind and switched entirely to the Gen 2 P250.  I have 5 of them set up for all purposes I need a pistol set up for.  They are dead reliable, inexpensive, very accurate, have frame/modules for all hand sizes/preferences and are very lefty-friendly.

They are also hammer fired.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the responses! I'm liking this Canik, posted above. Always loved the look of CZs/clones,but didn't think the mag release was reversible. Additionally, I have indeed tried using my trigger finger to drop the mag, but thumbing that button is much more intuitive for me, so I thought I might work with my preference.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the responses! I'm liking this Canik, posted above. Always loved the look of CZs/clones,but didn't think the mag release was reversible. Additionally, I have indeed tried using my trigger finger to drop the mag, but thumbing that button is much more intuitive for me, so I thought I might work with my preference.
View Quote
Have you given thoughts for the P30? I personally find the paddle mag release as superior to the button and faster, much faster too.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:32:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Ambidextrous hammer-fired pistol = HK P30/P30S.
Ambidextrous striker-fired pistol = HK VP9.
FN makes good guns indeed but HK's are supreme!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:34:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I am a lefty. And as the others have said you can work the slide stop, mag release with your trigger finger. I even operate the safety with my thumb of my left hand on my 1911's.
But recently I bought a H&K VP9. This is pretty much the perfect gun for a left hand person.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:29:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Fn plastic pistols are garbage.

Get an M&P and reverse the safety and readjust your requirements.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm a lefty, have owned Glock 19, M&P9, and now a Sig Pro 2022.

My method is as follows:

-Left middle finger hits mag release
-Right hand comes over the top of the slide to pull it back and release it.

My reasoning is this: Guns are different. Slide stops, are different sizes/locations/ease of use. Mag releases are different sizes, locations, and ease of use. So train to a common denominator. Don't get caught up in shooting left handed friendly guns only. You may have to pick up something you aren't familiar with and use it. Vary your training regimine so you don't get stuck with one method ingrained in your head.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:12:58 AM EDT
[#24]
As a left handed shooter I use a Glock pistol exclusively.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:44:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm a righty & I purposely train left handed. You just NEVER know...I have a G22 gen 4 I switched the mag release on.  I don't have any problems.  You NEED to practice if your swapping hands. Don't ever think you can't switch.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I know the question but my answer is simple. Change the way you are doing things. I am left handed and the only weapon I need to worry about is a 1911 and for that I have an amp. Safety. I started carrying handguns back in 1978 and left handed shooters were shit out of luck, no only with handguns but holsters as well. If you get a left hand specific weapon and train with it and then in some serious situation have to use a non specific left hand weapon you will be at a distinct disadvantage. Learning to use your index finger and thumb on your left hand actually gives you a hand up so to speak over our right handed friends. Left index finger for magazine release and thumb for slide stop release while carrying your extra magazines on your right side. Once you get the hang of it you will see the genies in it Good luck with your training.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:33:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Although not hammer fired, there are several fantastic fully ambi handguns out there.  I'm, of course, talking about the Walther PPQ and the HK VP9.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:11:59 AM EDT
[#28]
HK USPC (compact)

Add:

1. Night sights

2. Ambi safety lever

Done.

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 7:08:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I use my index finger to release the mag and the slide stop. After releasing the mag, the index finger is in position to reach up and release the slide. IMO, that's faster than releasing the slide with the off hand.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#31]
The HK P30 is what you are seeking.

And with the $200 rebate they have right now, its like it was meant to be.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 9:29:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Same here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here.

Yup.

Quoted:

I use my index finger to release the mag and the slide stop. After
releasing the mag, the index finger is in position to reach up and
release the slide. IMO, that's faster than releasing the slide with the
off hand.

That works, but wearing gloves or having my hands sweaty can make getting good fast purchase on the slide stop difficult for me. Overhand has been more reliable (for me).

Quoted:

The CZ85 or P30 w/ rebate are excellent options. I have an 85 Combat and a P30LS and would heartily recommend both to a fellow lefty who wants a hammer fired gun.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#34]
http://adaptivedefenseconcepts.com/sinister-studies-serious-scrutiny-into-southpaw-shooting-part-1/

M&P is not a bad choice for lefties,  neither is the Walther PPQ or P99
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I use my index finger to release the mag and the slide stop. After releasing the mag, the index finger is in position to reach up and release the slide. IMO, that's faster than releasing the slide with the off hand.
View Quote

My hands are too large for that.  I can trip the slide lock with my index finger, but I need to weaken my grip, twist the pistol, and scrunch up my finger to do it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
http://adaptivedefenseconcepts.com/sinister-studies-serious-scrutiny-into-southpaw-shooting-part-1/

M&P is not a bad choice for lefties,  neither is the Walther PPQ or P99
View Quote
Don't forget the VP9, too.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:32:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+2
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#38]
OP: The pistol that best fits your requirements is an HK P30s. I've owned one, I tried to love it, and couldn't. The safety makes the gun painful to shoot after 200 rounds or so. It doesn't blend into the frame well and would always leave me with a blister and a bruise on the inside of my thumb. The LEM versions with no safety are the best of the p30s IMO (owned one too), but I find it much easier to shoot striker fired guns or DA/SA guns with good triggers.

Quoted:
Uh, no.

Keep the pistol in your left hand, use your trigger finger to hit the mag release (much easier than a righty trying to use his thumb), let the mag drop free or help sweep it out with your right hand, draw your spare mag with your right hand, insert it into the pistol, then use your right hand to come up under and trip the slide lock/release, or, better yet, use your right hand to come up over the top and pull the slide back and release to charge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Uh, no.

Despite the OP's way of doing things now, he seems like he wants to get faster, so telling him to use a slower technique is not better.

Quoted:

This is not true.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
OP: The pistol that best fits your requirements is an HK P30s. I've owned one, I tried to love it, and couldn't. The safety makes the gun painful to shoot after 200 rounds or so. It doesn't blend into the frame well and would always leave me with a blister and a bruise on the inside of my thumb. The LEM versions with no safety are the best of the p30s IMO (owned one too), but I find it much easier to shoot striker fired guns or DA/SA guns with good triggers.

Despite the OP's way of doing things now, he seems like he wants to get faster, so telling him to use a slower technique is not better.

This is not true.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Uh, no.

Quoted:

This is not true.

RE Ambidextrous pistols...

You are right, a PPQM1 is hardly the only ambi gun out there.

As mentioned, some of us actually prefer the mag release on the left side of the gun where it can be reached with the trigger finger.  I've held, handled and shot many pistols where the mag release is poorly positioned for reach under the thumb whereas almost any pistol has the normal "righthand" release perfectly located for trigger finger activation.

If I was right handed I'd want a lefthand gun so I could switch the mag release to the southpaw side of the gun {right side} for better access!

Thus my recommendation of the SIG P250 {or if you like striker, the P320}.

Both have ambi slide locks and of course the mag release can be used on either side.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Beretta PX4 Compact.

Have one and it's my CCW. Love it.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Alright, thought I'd pipe back in. I appreciate all the advice, and recommendations. I've been narrowing things down and, with all things considered, will likely go with a Bersa Thunder 9 Pro. It's got basically everything I'm looking for, and frankly, looks great.

I will be practicing ambidextrously, as I agree with several posters' advice that this is generally a good idea, but will still continue to shoot and train primarily left handed. And, I do prefer thumbing the mag release. Tried out index finger'ing it this weekend and I'm pitifully awkward. Guess we're all different.

Oh, and I got to play around with a VP9. That thing has a really weird grip, and the mag release is very uncomfortable for smaller hands like mine. I'm sure it's a great gun, maybe just not for me.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:07:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I was practicing some reloading drills last weekend at the range, and as a lefty, I've noticed some distinct disadvantages with my tools/technique. Currently my only pistol is a striker and has no external safeties and only the slide stop/mag release on the left side of the weapon. Pretty common setup. Now, dropping the mag and slapping a new one in requires that I toss the pistol to my right hand, hit the release with my right thumb, and pull the mag out with my left hand. Then either hit the slide stop or manually charge it, and toss it back to my left hand to resume firing.

Now, what I don't like is all this switching the gun between my hands. I'd like to find a completely ambidextrous setup (safety, mag release, slide stop) in a hammer fired pistol, free fall mag drop, compact size if possible, 9mm (We can argue calibers in another threads; I'm only looking at 9mm right now). For the sake of this question, I am not brand specific. I wonder if my ideal pistol doesn't exist, but I suspect that I'm not looking hard enough.

And no, I'm not going to learn to shoot with my right hand. I've definitely tried, and it's not...pretty.
View Quote

I use both a HK P2000SK and a Walther P99 AS. Both are ambidextrous as far as Slide to and Mag release. I am a lefty too and have no issue in manipulating the guns. They have automatic internal safeties only, but are still safe enough for CC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top