Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2014 3:57:47 PM EDT
Just got a SIG P320 Carry a couple weeks ago.  Last night, the LGS had an HK VP9 so i grabbed that one.
I havent had a chance to shoot the VP9 yet but i do love the P320.  It is the  perfect size and the grip is awesome.  I dare say it is better than the VP9 but i"ll know better when it get that one to the range.
I'm really liking all the choices in striker fired guns lately

UPDATE:

Well, i finally got to take both of these pistols out to the range today.  It was a nice sunny day in the high 50's with no wind.  First off, let me say that i am just a novice shooter.  I dont shoot competitions and if i have the time to shoot a couple hundred rounds a month, i'm lucky.  With that said, i have been shooting for quite some time and have owned most of the 9mm's out there.

These comparisons are just my opinion and of course, different shooters will have their own opinions on which pistol is better for them.

Both pistols come with two 15-rd mags.  The P320 Carry has the Sig Nite Sights and the VP9 has their luminescent sights.  Both are of the three dot variety.  The VP9 comes with interchangeable backstraps and side panels where the P320 does not.   I found that putting the smaller of the two backstraps on the VP9 was more comfortable for me although i do not have small hands.  The VP9 grip seemed a bit longer and the barrel was a little longer as well even though they both had the same mag capacity.

I really enjoyed shooting both guns and neither had any malfunctions.  Despite the fact that the VP9 grips was contoured and somewhat customizable, i felt that the grip shape and texture of the P320 was more comfortable for me.  My wife, however, felt the VP9 was more comfortable.  

Bringing the guns on target, for me, found that the Sig P320 was more naturally pointing but not by much over the VP9.  Firing the guns, however, the VP9 came back on target a little quicker but not by much.  In my opinion, the high bore axis issue is a bit overblown.  The difference in getting on target was a fraction of a second.  The recoil was no more noticeable with the P320 than it was with the VP9.  The VP9 really won in the trigger category.  The trigger pull was light and smooth compared to a gritty trigger pull on the P320.  Hopefully, the P320 trigger will smooth out over time.  

Shooting both pistols, i found the P320 was more accurate than the VP9.  This was shooting off-hand so there were no rests or anything to make the test more scientific.  The wife, no slouch when shooting, shot both about the same.  

So, after a couple hundred rounds through each pistol, i'd have to choose the P320 if i could only have one.  For me, it was more comfortable, better sights and more accurate.  The only real advantage the VP9 had over the P320 was the trigger which was phenomenal out of the box

Again, many shooters may prefer the VP9 over the P320.  After a head-to-head competition for me, it was the P320

Thanks

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice. I think I'm going to give a 320 Carry a shot here in the next month or so. Like what I've heard and I'm a SIG fan. I've also heard lots of good things about the HK. It will be interesting to see which you prefer.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:23:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool. I've checked out the P320 before and have a VP9. Quite honestly I'm not sure why you feel the way you do about the P320. To me it's not even comparable to a Glock or M&P, and especially not to the VP9. But if you shoot it the best, that's all that matters

For those wondering, things I really hate about the P320:
-It's literally a tweaked P250 into a striker fired gun. In fact you can drop the serialized chasis into either P250 or P320 frame
-It's heavy. At about 30oz this is .45 territory
-Bulky
-High bore axis and grip not cut very far up
-Grip is not customizable
-Slide serrations do not run full height of the slide

The trigger is nice though. Also the price and rebates they had on them were pretty nice
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#3]
The more I hear about the 320, the more I'm starting to want one. I have the VP9 and it blows everything else I have away, I sold my G20 for it (Glocks, simply do not like them at all and a bad impulse buy) and personally I got the better end of a better gun.

Anyways, good buy, the 320 may indeed be my first Sig!
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my VP9, however I've heard nothing but great things about the P320.

Will the OP be so kind as to post side-by-side caparison photos?

Dissemble them and lay the parts next to each other etc.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:18:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Please post a comparison review when you get the chance to shoot the vp9.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Holy hell!  The side by side photos really demonstrate the massively high bore axis of the Sig.  HK has progressed into the 21st century while Sig is still way behind the design curve.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Bore axis doesn't deter people as much as some people think they do. Neither is it an issue with those buyers either.

Somebody better tell JM he's been doing it wrong with that high bore axis revolver.

C'mon, c'mon now, don't be shy, correct him of his bad error.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:17:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Um, he already knows.

How to Shoot a Revolver

Around two and a half minutes in: "I want the revolver as deep in my hand as possible, the higher it is the more it levers against you, it's a pivot point, it's a lever... the more distance you give it off of the center-line of your hand, the more it's going to work against you... we're going to try and be as smart as we can..."

If you actually look at his grip and continue the video, you will see he has deburred hammer spurs because he grips so high.

However, If your intention was that bore axis does not matter for the average shooter, I will agree. I think that at Jerry's level, and with Jerry's competition, every little bit matters.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:12:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Be curious to hear your shooting impressions of the P320 also. It is one pistol that interests me greatly, but all my lgs's can't keep them in stock long enough for me to get my hands on one.

I've got nothing against HK's, used to own a USP9, but the VP9 was a big "meh" to me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I had both the VP9 and the P320 in my hands at the last gun show I went to.

The Sig is not even in the same league as the HK.  The Sig felt cheap, the HK felt like an HK, that is, not cheap.

When dry fired, the 320's trigger was again outclassed by the VP9.  

I don't understand all the buzz over the P320.  I'd take my old first gen Walther P99 any day over one, and I sure as hell would take a Red Label CPO P226 over it as well.

YMMV of course, but, I don't get it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Fired both, bought the Sig. I recommend all shoppers do the same. Guns are highly personal items and should never be chosen by internet diatribe. Sometimes even two people won't agree on whats the better gun. Its all about whats the better gun for you. After firing you will have a preference, one way or another. Then buy the one you prefer and enjoy your purchase.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fired both, bought the Sig. I recommend all shoppers do the same. Guns are highly personal items and should never be chosen by internet diatribe. Sometimes even two people won't agree on whats the better gun. Its all about whats the better gun for you. After firing you will have a preference, one way or another. Then buy the one you prefer and enjoy your purchase.
View Quote
That is well said, its too bad that it will fall on deaf ears by the usual suspects.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:15:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm interested in the VP9. Only interested in the Sig if it's a deal.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:48:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That is well said, its too bad that it will fall on deaf ears by the usual suspects.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed...well said.

As for the typical negative pontification...
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Bore axis doesn't deter people as much as some people think they do. Neither is it an issue with those buyers either.

Somebody better tell JM he's been doing it wrong with that high bore axis revolver.

C'mon, c'mon now, don't be shy, correct him of his bad error.

http://youtu.be/lLk1v5bSFPw
View Quote

Yup, and Tom Brady can throw a pass 50 yards without stepping into it, that doesn't mean everyone should be throwing flat footed.

FWIW, Bob Vogel chooses pistols that he can get a high grip on with a low bore axis because the gun doesn't torque as much .

Oh, which reminds me of something Jerry said. I'll let the master speak for himself.

Skip to 9:30 if it doesn't load properly.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Update in OP
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Update in OP
View Quote
Either way you chose, you still came out with a winner.

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:22:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's uncommon wisdom and spot on as well.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:07:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the update. I've been looking at both as well. I've held a p320 and dry fired it. The grip was fantastic. I liked the trigger a lot even though I would describe it as spongy. A good spongy though. I haven't been able to handle a vp9 but I've been tempted to order one blind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top