Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/16/2014 9:00:25 AM EDT
Knowing what you know now, if it were possible to go back to the beginning of your pistol shooting / training / carrying beginning what important things would you tell yourself?

Would there be a certain pistol you would tell yourself to focus on and quit trying to replace it with the flavor of the month? What pistol / platform?

Would you spend more money and attention on training?

Would you focus on competition?

Would you tell yourself to stick with one caliber? Which caliber?

Or are you happy with simply collecting and shooting every pistol you can get your hands on regardless of the caliber? (noting wrong with that either)
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:18:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I've shot USPSA type matches since 1982...my original USPSA number was A2365.....used a 1911 in .45 for the first 25 years.... I wish I had converted to a Glock when they first came out... been shooting a G17 and G34 for the last 6 years, with emphasis on multigun (3 gun).... I don't know how you can determine your skill level if you don't compete... competition is the best way to improve your skill level
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#2]
One of the reasons that I am not a better shooter than I am is because I am so eclectic when it comes to what I own and so fickle about what I take to the range. To make things worse, I am often attracted to project or problem guns that require an inordinate amount of work, experimentation and special manipulation to make them run. I am as bad a woman who thinks she can "fix" every loser guy she meets.

If I really wanted to be a better shooter, I would probably choose one handgun (after test firing a few) and stick with it until everything about handling it safely, accurately and effectively was part of my nature.

Of course that wouldn't nearly as much fun as owning and shooting a bunch of different guns.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:38:24 AM EDT
[#3]
The Army was kind enough to train and issue me a 1911  .45    when they made me turn it in for a paper hole cutter P92 9mm  I went
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#4]
If I was doing it over, I never would have wasted my time and money with the 40 S&W.

Would have stuck with 9mm and 45ACP only, and kept it to CZs in steel and Walthers in polymer and a (one, singular) 1911 until the HK 45 came out.

Now collectables are another story, and the above plan would have left me more cash for "fun" guns.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd have started taking training classes with good instructors a lot sooner.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:07:29 PM EDT
[#6]
The biggest thing I would tell my younger self would be:

Night sights, suppressor height sights and weird patterned sights may work for some people but you (meaning younger me) should just stick with traditional three dot sights. You shoot your best and fastest with them, quit trying to up your game with different sights and stick to what you are good with.

The second, less important thing I would tell my younger self:

Get a good 22 suppressor as soon as you can. They are stupid fun and you are depriving yourself of years of enjoyment by thinking the NFA paperwork is some daunting task.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:34:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Start competing younger.  Don't waste time trying to adapt to gun designs that don't fit.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I would have never listened to hype and jumped into Glocks for a wasted time and effort, and just stayed with my CZ75B.

I collect and some are for training and some are for competition, and some are EDC and or a house SHTF gun; with that said I would still not have stayed with one caliber.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I've played most of the games and owned most of the platforms.  No regrets.  I do this for fun.  I would maybe have tried to get into High Power sooner but back then it was a very clubby sport.  Hard to find a range or club that played the Camp Perry game.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Dear self (circa 2004),

Your initial two hour handgun training on the flight-deck of the USS Tarawa does not a pistol expert make. Your first handgun purchase of a .40 USP Expert does not make you an expert. Greatness comes from humble beginnings; invest in a quality .22LR pistol and seek professional training from people respected in the industry. Once the fundamentals of handgun manipulation is achieved, your ego will be checked and allow you to accept life altering truths towards the quest for the perfect handgun:

1) Glocks, despite their fan base, are not magical. They are cheap, and only popular because LEO bean counters determine the lowest bidder market share. Just no.

2) As hard as you try, you will never find a P226 that feels right in your girlish sized hands, ever (however the P220 is gtg).

3) M&P's are okay, just make sure to get a later model and don't spend too much on the fancy apex parts since you'll just sell it down the road anyways, this invariably happens.

4) 1911's are finicky, but great when worked out. Don't worry, you'll meet a lifelong friend who knows more about guns than you know words in a dictionary.

5) Someday, your lust for all things HK will circle you back to the VP9. With medium side panels and small back insert, quest complete.

p.s. Stay the fuck away from any woman into horses.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:37:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't have any, so.... this might not mean much, but I think I would've liked to get a Sig 226 or 229 and call it a day.  AND, I would've gotten a model 10 and put tons of rounds through it to learn how to really master a trigger.  Starting off with a 1911 and a 5 lb single action trigger does not make one very proficient at other platforms.  Plus, Lumpy said that's what one should do, so..........  I have no qualms about sticking with .38 and 9mm though.  9mm have always been cheaper and probably will be.  I like .45,  but it's  more expensive to shoot.  

Also, another road to walk might have been HK's.  Which I never did but the little bit I've experienced them I thought, wow.  

The grass is always greener though.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I would of kept the first handgun I bought 11 years ago. A glock 23 gen 3. I would of got a 9mm barrel and mags, a 357 sig barrel, some night sights, good holster and called it done. Ive run the gambet of all the popular semi autos and have came back to a glock 19 each time. Sometime breaking even sometime loosing money. Currently have a glock 19 and a vp9. Would of told myself kid the 23 with night sights and conversion barrel is all youll ever need till a thing called the vp9 comes out.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a 60 yr collection of guns but had nothing for concealed carry. After trying a number of CCW guns decided to get a Kahr CM9. Have practiced with it and carried it for over 2 years. After all this time I've gotten quite accurate with it, realizing what it was made for and can make it disappear. It has been 100%, so I've never looked back.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Knowing what you know now, if it were possible to go back to the beginning of your pistol shooting / training / carrying beginning what important things would you tell yourself?

Would there be a certain pistol you would tell yourself to focus on and quit trying to replace it with the flavor of the month? What pistol / platform?

Or are you happy with simply collecting and shooting every pistol you can get your hands on regardless of the caliber? (noting wrong with that either)
View Quote

Would of saved myself alot of $ by just sticking to the 1911 from the get-go.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Buy more cheap ammo, waste less....
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I really I would have starting shooting and buying years at a younger age. I didn't start until in my 30's, and could have bought a number of guns for cheap during my 20's.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I wouldn't have worried about the price tag, but I was a broke college student at the time, so I had to stretch every dollar.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I did everything right the first time.

Did A LOT of research before pulling the trigger on my first handgun: HK USP 9

Spent a year going to the range before stepping into the competiton world once I had the basics down cold.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:46:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Dad was buying the guns and ammo when I first started, but I wish I had bought a few M16's when I could have, but sadly didn't.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I would've done more research on my first pistol: a Glock 17 Gen4.  That Glock was an early fourth gen so it had the well documented problems.  Then I shouldn't have believed any of the .40 hype and not gotten that FDE 23 (an FDE 19 would have been so much better).  Not being super thrilled with my Glock experience, I shouldn't have then jump the gun (hehe) so fast on several Sigs just to find out that DA/SA isn't my thing and that those pieces are way too heavy to carry.  So here I sit, with a handful of M&Ps, and I feel like I've arrived.  My rifle history is equally as tumultuous.  But maybe that's the beauty of it: I now know exactly what I like and why I like it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:56:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Starting over I would have bought 1911s much sooner than I did. I messed around with other semi autos for 15 years before I bought my first 45ACP 1911. I haven't bought anything else until last month and bought a M&P Shield 9mm. I have some back problems and needed a lighter carry gun when my back is acting up and love the Shield. While I'm not a big fan of 9mm it will do the job at self defense distances. The Shield is also very accurate and after some Apex parts now has a great trigger pull. Plus practice ammo is cheaper than 45ACP.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:06:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Dear self from 20 years ago.....
Buy every damned S&W that you can lay your grubby hands on.  
Never ever buy a Ruger center fire pistol cause you will just be unhappy and sell them.  
Every scrap of extra money goes to buying surplus ammo.
You can eat ramen noodles and burn trash in a waste basket for heat.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:51:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I've always researched my gun choices to death before buying so I've never had much for regret.  If I were to do something differently it would have been waiting longer and getting an M&P CORE instead a "base" model.  I wouldn't have sold any guns and would lie in wait of the POS who stole guns so I could neuter them on the spot with a pair of rusty pliars and a spork.  I would have bought much more ammo.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:07:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Buy a Glock 34 and start competing. You will learn faster and shoot better than any other path.

There will be other guns but in competition, you will find the answers. SIG 226s feel nice and are reliable but lack something. HK is big, clunky, and has a silly mag release. Hogue wrap around  grips are for putzes and fudds. CZ, 2011, 1911, Glock. There are reasons these guns are used by the best shooters.

Guns aside, it is the Indian, not the arrow. Don't chase gear. When you do buy, know why. Buy quality and cry once.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:11:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy a Glock 34 and start competing. You will learn faster and shoot better than any other path.

There will be other guns but in competition, you will find the answers. SIG 226s feel nice and are reliable but lack something. HK is big, clunky, and has a silly mag release. Hogue wrap around  grips are for putzes and fudds. CZ, 2011, 1911, Glock. There are reasons these guns are used by the best shooters.

Guns aside, it is the Indian, not the arrow. Don't chase gear. When you do buy, know why. Buy quality and cry once.
View Quote
Are you saying that about yourself to yourself?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:15:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Since I am the OP of the thread I guess I can add to this. Btw, most of you guys mirror my experience but maybe with different guns.

I wish I would have just bought a G17 and a G19 and never bought another gun but I keep thinking the latest thing will be better. I tried the XDm line and then went back to Glock. I've gone thru the M&P's and back to Glock. Tried Sig and back to the Glock. However, I am now giving the PPQ a go and I really like it. I think it's mostly because it is close in size to the 19 which has been the gun I keep going back to. If the PPQ was just a tad bit smaller it would be perfect for me. As of now the 19 is still my EDC.

I like to compete but with three young kids and two that have their own activities it's hard to make it on match days. I wish I would have competed more when I was single instead of out chasing women and drinking beer (Did I really say that?)

I would have told my self to stick to 9mm and stack it deep.

I would have also told myself to quit spending money on guns and use it to go get more training from the top tier guys.

In the end though it is fun testing out other guns just in case it really is the one so I don't necessarily regret anything. But I can't help but think how much better I could be had I not wasted so much time worrying about the platform.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:18:13 AM EDT
[#27]
I would have bought full size guns, and only quality gear. My carry gear started out small and with each class I took I moved up in gun size. I carry either a full size 1911 with TLR1 or a M&P 9 with a RMR and TLR1. Either way I think I started out way ahead of most people. I spent a lot of time in these types of threads.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#28]
1. get more 22lr pistols
2. forget the subcompacts - I've owned 3 all are sold
3. get into revolvers sooner
4. don't buy any glocks, I owned a 27 and it was one pistol that no matter how hard I tried just could not like.
5. DA/SA is awesome
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

Pick 1 gun and get good with it.  Don't try to buy one of each brand and shoot all of them.  It kills you budget wise on holsters, mags, and muscle memory.

Get 2 Glock 19s.  Leave one stock.  Buy GOOD Kydex from Raven or J and M.  Zero cant.  Buy a great belt from Milt Sparks.  Buy lots of factory mags.  

Take a formal 3 day class from a solid instructor.  

Take the shitty factory sights off and put 10-8 sights on it with the thin front blade.  

Don't dump a bunch of aftermarket parts in the gun.  Vickers mag catch (or FBI) and extended slide stop.  That is it.  Don't polish the shit out of everything.  Just shoot it.  

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Made that choice in 1998.  Colt Lightweight Commander.

Yes

No.  Maybe some speed steel or pin shooting.  No IPSC or IDPA.  Been there, done that.  Meh.

See pistol answer.  Went with 45acp because it's the only round that matters in the 1911 platform.

I own two pistols.  I shoot them very well.  I need a 5" 1911 and a steel frame Commander.  Beyond that I don't want any more handguns.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Would skip the Glock 21 Walther P99s (9 and 40) and 96.

and would of started USPSA sooner than I did.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#32]
I would first slap my younger self
then suggest a class some actual training
then explain why worrying about Ballistics and listening to "experts" ( anything smaller than a 45 wont kill a chipmunk" and FOCUSING on form and building a basic foundation for good marksmanship

Then
NOT purchasing an XD 45 as the first pistol sans training.....

Holy Bad habits batman!

Then still worried about ballistics, the "experts" and now concealability
making a G27 the second gun
More bad habits, flinching trigger jerking and bad form....

The Army had to teach me how to shoot with a POS M9, when I got home I figured out a G19 works for me, worked on actually learning something...now I can qualify and actually hit targets....slowly working into the 1911 world.
then slap my younger self again- because well....it was needed
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

About AND to myself.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:52:17 PM EDT
[#34]
1. Taken formal instruction earlier.
2. Gotten interested in 3rd Gen. S&W autos sooner.
3. Never spent the time and money on HK's.
4. Bought more S&W revolvers.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:12:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Maybe less swapping around of my secondary handguns and maybe not purchase a few in the first place however, overall I'm happy. First handgun of my own was a Glock 19. Everything after was pretty much just for fun. I carry the G19 or M&P Shield daily and don't need any of the others but love that I'm young and fortunate enough to be able to afford many others.

Shotguns are another story. Wish I would have never sold my BPS but hard times fell on the family and I did it for a good reason. Looking back I wish I would have sold my O/U instead. But overall no real regrets.

Edit: I wish instead of a few of my other semi-autos I had a S&W revolver (or a few). That's next on the list.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:20:38 AM EDT
[#36]
As I have gotten older, I am just glad I have a good place to go shoot when I want to. I know my skill level has gotten better and I have a whole lot of room to improve.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:15:47 AM EDT
[#37]
I'd tell myself that I don't need one of every caliber.  And that I don't really want to set up and tear down the press for every caliber over and over.

I'd tell myself that I should research the options on a gun rather than trying to figure out how to add features on later (gosh, i wish I got the post sight instead of the bead sight on this shotgun, how hard could it be to replace?   Right?)

I'd still embrace and enjoy the novelty of some good cruffles, and some inexpensive oddities.  

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:15:51 AM EDT
[#38]
1. Don't bother with cheap holsters.
2. Buy a j-frame .38 because they can be easily concealed in anything but a thong.
3. Don't buy into the .40 cal fad. You're faster and more accurate with 9 mm
4. Don't sell that early (pre-CZ) DW 1911, early (pre-Series II) Kimber Pro CDP, or Kel-Tec SUB2000.
5. Focus on obtaining a few quality pieces instead of several mediocre ones.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:40:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Should have just bought a G19 from the get-go.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#40]
I would tell myself to skip over the long line of Sigs, Colts, Kahr's, and HK's and just get the Glock 19 first.

G19 is number one for a reason.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#41]
I think I should have put more emphasis on the concealed carry aspect.

My first was a S&W 38 25 years ago. I never attempted to body carry (iwb, etc.)that gun

as fanny packs were common and we weren't packing cel phones in those days.

That gun was stolen and I didn't get back to ccw til a couple years ago.

I got  XD 45 compact on the advice of some experts as a shootable, not too expensive gun.

Too big for iwb tuckable carry. Then an XD 40 sub-compact, still quite heavy and thick.

Next was a LCR that I carry now but its just as thick at the cylinder as the XD's!

I'm picking up a M&P sheild 40 monday and I'm hoping this is the gun I want.

Bottom line is, if you can't comfortably carry your gun, you won't.

My decision to go with the 40 this time is simply because I already have plenty of ammo in 40.

Also my wife is gettin a sig p238 so there will be a nice little pocket gun available when needed.

Tom
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:03:59 PM EDT
[#42]
i would buy glocks in 9mm and a TRP in .45

This would eliminate the thousands of dollars on everything else I've purchased over the years while chasing the handgun dragon.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:23:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
i would buy glocks in 9mm and a TRP in .45

This would eliminate the thousands of dollars on everything else I've purchased over the years while chasing the handgun dragon.
View Quote

+1

Almost exactly this for me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#44]
I would have bought a TRP in .45acp and been done with any other kind of pistol or caliber from the start. I would have started working on them myself too instead of paying someone to do it for me like I can do now. That said, I'm happy with my M&P's... I would have shot IDPA from the start: bought a Dillon XL 650 and reload exclusively for .45acp and 5.56. My only rifles would have been AR15's too.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Look at what accessories are available for your first pistol purchase.  Make sure there are holsters available for lights, what do mags cost, what do night sights cost?

Focus on your USPc for a majority of time and then worry about your competition gear second.

Training and ammo

I do, USPSA, IDPA, and 3 Gun.  I would probably have started precision rifle at a young age to get good trigger control first instead of fighting it.

9 or .40

Not really
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:50:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
2) As hard as you try, you will never find a P226 that feels right in your girlish sized hands, ever (however the P220 is gtg).  
View Quote

Try the P239.

If I can go back 20 years I would have consistently and accurately kept a round count on all my guns.

ETA: I would have also stock piled the fuck out of .22s and 9mm
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#47]
I would have skipped the Tauruses, Sigs and 1911's that I bought. Probably would have grabbed a few more revolvers when they were cheap. I would have started USPSA when I was younger and had more time.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:50:24 AM EDT
[#48]
There are three handguns I use to own that I still should because I shot them so well, a H&K P9s 9mm, S&W 39-2 9mm, and a S&W model 13. I need all three back in the collection. What did I learn? Don't sell or trade off guns that fit you best.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:59:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
There are three handguns I use to own that I still should because I shot them so well, a H&K P9s 9mm, S&W 39-2 9mm, and a S&W model 13. I need all three back in the collection. What did I learn? Don't sell or trade off guns that fit you best.
View Quote
What made you want to get rid of them and replace with, if you don't mind me asking? New tech, other person's reviews?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#50]
I would've told myself to stop wasting time experimenting with the newest trendy handgun, and just focus on what always ends up serving me best... The glock weapon system.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top