Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/13/2014 11:01:31 AM EDT
Is there anything fun out there? I see some Star Bs and Tok 9mm.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Hi-Point.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hi-Point.
View Quote

no thanks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#3]
get a 9mm carbine.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
get a 9mm carbine.
View Quote

I have a semi Uzi, I'd rather have a smaller gun for this. Anything similar to a Star or Tok in price and size thats cooler?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#5]
A used Beretta 92FS, 3rd Gen S&W 5906, maybe a Hi Power clone off Gun Broker?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#6]
ruger p95, you can use it as a hammer after you are done shooting.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:51:33 PM EDT
[#7]
If I were looking for something good and inexpensive, I'd probably pick up something from the Bersa line.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#8]
S&W shield for a new carry gun.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If I were looking for something good and inexpensive, I'd probably pick up something from the Bersa line.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Im just looking for something fun to blast up 1800 rounds of 9mm. I have CCW and several other 9mm's in the collection, just nothing that I feel like potentially blowing up with a bunch of old cast reloads.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:39:38 PM EDT
[#10]
You could always get a SAR ST-10?

They're still like $350 on Buds for the blued one.

I'll be picking mine up Wednesday, and doing a range report Thursday on it. (It actually gets to my FFL tomorrow, but because of class & school work I won't have time to go pick it up until Wed.)

I think it looks pretty cool anyway.

Alternatively, yeah, a used Ruger P-series would survive it too.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ed's Pawn in Georgia has LE turn-in 5906's for $249.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1, forgot about Ruger. The older metal framed pistols are actually quite strong by design.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#13]
You can get a Canik T-120 for around $350.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 3:46:03 PM EDT
[#14]
SAR B6P from CDNN for $249
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

+1, forgot about Ruger. The older metal framed pistols are actually quite strong by design.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a p-95 but the trigger is so bad it is not fun to do any shooting with and is hard to hit stuff with.

How about a G19 or G17 with a aftermarket barrel ? You will spend a bit more for the gun and extra barrel but you will have a nice shooting gun
that will make all that ammo fun and still have the flexibility to shoot factory or reloads after the original is gone.

Cheap crappy guns are nothing but fancy noisemakers that get boring after the first couple of boxes of ammo and are tough to get rid of , a nice gun with decent trigger is always fun to mess about with and has better resale value
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#16]
cz75.....
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Im just looking for something fun to blast up 1800 rounds of 9mm. I have CCW and several other 9mm's in the collection, just nothing that I feel like potentially blowing up with a bunch of old cast reloads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you feel like the ammo might blow a gun up I would not shoot them out of anything.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#18]
find a used Ruger P89 or a S&W 5906
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Standard glock and a bore brush ran through every 200 rounds. If you trust the reloads they won't hurt a thing. I have shot lead in my glock for twenty years without issue.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#20]
RIA 9mm 1911 or a CZ75 clone
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
RIA 9mm 1911 or a CZ75 clone
View Quote

Armscor 1911 was the first thing that came to mind for me. If you keep a eye out the Filipino guns go on sale cheap. Buds had some for low 300's the other day.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:35:51 AM EDT
[#22]
The criteria as stated was 'good shooter' and 'fun'.  Who said anything about cost?

How about.. S&W 929
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:44:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

My Gen 3 M5906 & M6906 both loved  9mm LRN

Matter of fact some of the best groups were shot using LRN handloads.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Some of the guns recommended here are junk.

Call Bud's and ask for a price on a SIG P250.

Superb pistol for cheap.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Police trade in Glock 17 or a Sig P226 should work fine for you.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Superb pistol for cheap.
View Quote

I wouldn't want to spend the money on a new pistol if there was even a remote chance the ammo in question may blow a gun up.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I wouldn't want to spend the money on a new pistol if there was even a remote chance the ammo in question may blow a gun up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Superb pistol for cheap.

I bet you can get a new P250 for the price of those used clunkers and the P250 is an excellent pistol..
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Why don't you just go buy a Star B or Tok 9mm. You seem to not like anyone else's suggestion.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:26:41 PM EDT
[#30]
third gen smith
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Link?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link?

Here
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:42:08 PM EDT
[#32]
If I could buy any 9mm pistol right now it would be a Tristar T-120.  Which is basically a CZ75/Jericho clone.  They look awesome and are very cheap.  Check them out on Budsgunshop, and you might find yourself with a pistol that is of rather excellent quality that also works to eat through ammunition...

No I haven't purchased one yet because I aint got no money!
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:44:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I bet you can get a new P250 for the price of those used clunkers and the P250 is an excellent pistol..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Superb pistol for cheap.

As per the OP's own words,

"Im just looking for something fun to blast up 1800 rounds of 9mm. I have CCW and several other 9mm's in the collection, just nothing that I feel like potentially blowing up with a bunch of old cast reloads."

IMO, why pay for a new pistol if there is truly a chance that his ammo, which, by his own definition, are reloads (which would likely void a munufacturer's warranty), could blow up his gun? Perhaps you like the Sig P250, but personally I would choose a good, used 5906, 92FS or CZ-75 "clunker" over any P250.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:59:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Why don't you just go buy a Star B or Tok 9mm. You seem to not like anyone else's suggestion.  
View Quote

I do like some of these suggestions. Sorry if I don't classify hi point as "cool"
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:19:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

"Im just looking for something fun to blast up 1800 rounds of 9mm. I have CCW and several other 9mm's in the collection, just nothing that I feel like potentially blowing up with a bunch of old cast reloads."

IMO, why pay for a new pistol if there is truly a chance that his ammo, which, by his own definition, are reloads (which would likely void a munufacturer's warranty), could blow up his gun? Perhaps you like the Sig P250, but personally I would choose a good, used 5906, 92FS or CZ-75 "clunker" over any P250.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Superb pistol for cheap.

I guess I am the opposite. If I was going to blow up a gun I would rather it be something that had factory support and could be replaced rather than a gun that would be a total loss.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:27:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I guess I am the opposite. If I was going to blow up a gun I would rather it be something that had factory support and could be replaced rather than a gun that would be a total loss.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Superb pistol for cheap.

Which manufacturer(s) will replace and support a pistol blown up by old cast reloads?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:48:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Which manufacturer(s) will replace and support a pistol blown up by old cast reloads?
View Quote

Almost all will at least replace for minimal cost. Have seen it from Glock, Sig, and Smith and Wesson. Some of them will fix the gun anyway..
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#38]
You do know that there's a chance of injury with a KB, right? If you don't know the origin of the ammo either get a kinetic bullet puller and reload the components so you KNOW the ammo is safe, or if you don't want to go through the trouble, dump the ammo in your nearest river/lake and be done with it.

I never shoot anyone else's reloads and I don't let other people shoot mine. I've never had an issue but nobody is perfect.

Buying a gun to shoot ammo you think there's a chance of blowing up doesn't make any sense at all to me.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You do know that there's a chance of injury with a KB, right? If you don't know the origin of the ammo either get a kinetic bullet puller and reload the components so you KNOW the ammo is safe, or if you don't want to go through the trouble, dump the ammo in your nearest river/lake and be done with it.

I never shoot anyone else's reloads and I don't let other people shoot mine. I've never had an issue but nobody is perfect.

Buying a gun to shoot ammo you think there's a chance of blowing up doesn't make any sense at all to me.
View Quote

My uncle loaded these up before he died, I shot hundreds of them when he was alive and we got these out of the stash after he passed. I they are dirty and lead cast so I dont want to shoot them in my Glocks or through my suppressors. I figure I'll make some noise and if the hosts survives It will find a glove box to live in.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't think the OP really is intending to wreck a pistol.

If he did, he could just plug the bore with mud and have at it.  He wants a reason to tell his wife that he needs another cheap pistol.

The Gen 2 P250 is every bit the pistol any HK, Smith, SIG, Walther or Colt, etc are and it can right now be had for very, very little.  I doubt that will always be, but it is now.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If he did, he could just plug the bore with mud and have at it.  He wants a reason to tell his wife that he needs another cheap pistol.

The Gen 2 P250 is every bit the pistol any HK, Smith, SIG, Walther or Colt, etc are and it can right now be had for very, very little.  I doubt that will always be, but it is now.
View Quote

The 250 is dead which is why it is so cheap. I think that the trigger as well as the huge delay in conversion parts(which was the main selling point) both add to it. I know a dealer that bought one of the 2some kits with both a full size and sub compact configuration right before everyone blew out the individual guns. His cost was about equal to what a guy could buy two close out guns for.

If the 320 does well I don't think the 250 will last much longer.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#42]
The P250's trigger is smooth but it's DAO and very LOOOOOOOONG. I've only fired them a few times and I hated them every time. I'm not joking when I say this: I'd take a 3rd Gen S&W Sigma over a P250 any day.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:20:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The 250 is dead which is why it is so cheap. I think that the trigger as well as the huge delay in conversion parts(which was the main selling point) both add to it. I know a dealer that bought one of the 2some kits with both a full size and sub compact configuration right before everyone blew out the individual guns. His cost was about equal to what a guy could buy two close out guns for.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No offense, but you really have no idea what you are talking about. Seriously.  The P250 is a huge seller for SIG.  SIG has a tough time keeping up with the demand for frames and barrel slide parts.  I own a couple spare frames and the swapping is idiot proof and takes two seconds.  If the P320 puts it down good on SIG but I am not sure it will.  It has a growing following in spite of those who can't shoot DAO or who know only what they read about the Gen 1 guns who badmouth it online.

I started with revolvers, then 1911's, BHP's, Glocks, SIG 200 series pistols, 2022's and a bunch of non-descript others. I've been shooting for 40 years.  The P250 is as good as any, better than most of them.  I thought like you that the P320 would put an end to it but in talking to SIG I'm not so sure anymore.  Because it has been so cheap folks have bought them who wouldn't have even tried one {me for example} and in trying them out have found they are really phenomenal pistols.  I wound up selling all my carry and defense pistols, replaced them with P250's for every specific purpose and now have a battery of pistols with identical operating systems that are dead reliable and extremely accurate.

I took some familiarization to get used to the trigger but shooting revolvers for years and DA/SA SIG's made it easy.  The guns are awesome.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:23:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Why are all the 250's getting blown out below dealer cost then

I worked at a Sig distributor when they came out and they fell on their face. I think the damn pro got more play after it came out of retirement but it still didn't do gangbusters.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:26:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The P250's trigger is smooth but it's DAO and very LOOOOOOOONG. I've only fired them a few times and I hated them every time. I'm not joking when I say this: I'd take a 3rd Gen S&W Sigma over a P250 any day.
View Quote

I'm not surprised and honestly, as you described with yourself, most people who give them a quick try cannot shoot them very well.  With a little practice they are easy and very, very accurate.  If you come at them from a 1911 past, you'll have a little more challenge, but if you are a Glock or a DA/SA or revolver shooter and use the guns in DA mode, they are a quick learn.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:32:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Why are all the 250's getting blown out below dealer cost then

I worked at a Sig distributor when they came out and they fell on their face. I think the damn pro got more play after it came out of retirement but it still didn't do gangbusters.
View Quote

When they came out when?  With the Gen 1 guns?  Some of them are still sitting on dealers shelves.

SIG's biggest mistake was in not renaming the gun because many like yourself really do not know the difference...neither did I and that is why I steered away from the for so long.  The Gen 2 gun is a phenomenal gun and sales are very, very strong.  Amazing since the "anti-P250" sentiment is pretty strong as a result of the disaster the Gen 1 guns were.  A friend of mine is a Lt Col in the Army with multiple deployments and tho he was biased against the thing initially agreed to buy one after I hounded him about it.  Now after owning it he says "This thing is the gun I'd take to war."

It is dead simple to operate, clean, maintain and dead reliable and dead nuts accurate.  There really isn't any more good you can say about a pistol.

ETA:  I missed your part about the Sigpro.  You need to get out more often because that one is both a superb pistol and a big, no HUGE, seller for SIG.

Accurate, too!!

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 2:30:52 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

They are cheap because the demand for them is nil

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:54:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Careful he'll put you in the corner with me
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I will!

LOL.

Seriously guys, they didn't make all the P250's that are for sale 10 years ago.  The gun is in constant production and has been for years and has outlived numerous models by other companies that have come and gone in the meantime. We've been hearing the "P250's are dead" line for YEARS.

Like the OP, I got my first one as a toy to use and then get rid of when it broke {I thot in 60 or 70 rounds}.   LOL.

I had "real" SIG's after all.

Well, I got rid of the "real" SIG's and now have 5 P250's.  Thousands of rounds later, they are running strong with no breaks and relevant to the OP, I shoot primarily hard cast 124 grain truncated cone handloads, too, by the way.  

And I'm not the only one.  Before I got my second one I wondered if I got a fluke and got a good P250 when the rest of them were junk!  I looked at all the sites and scanned all over the i-net and all I could find for "damage reports" was referencing old Gen 1 P250's {they must have been horrible}.  The Gen 2 model got nothing but rave reviews except for the predictions if its demise by those who didn't own them and occasional complaints about the DAO system by guys that can't shoot DAO.  Guys that put some bullets thru them and can shoot are sold lock stock and barrel on them. As for malfunctions?  Next to nothing!  They are darn good pistols, equal as I already said to any semiauto pistol ever made.

For more go to the P250SIG forum.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:21:05 PM EDT
[#50]
I love my SP2022 9mm and my West German P-226, but did not like the trigger on my friend's P250 at all. I am interested in the P320, however and am hoping to find the opportunity to try one in the near future.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top