User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:40:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't know about the consensus, but I don't drop the slide like that on an empty chamber.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is the consensus on using the slide lock to release the slide without a mag or round to load in?

I don't know about the consensus, but I don't drop the slide like that on an empty chamber.

+1

only when a loaded magazine is home.

makes me cringe thinking about it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:53:39 AM EDT
[#2]
"slide release"??????
I wonder what that stands for?
"slide release" maybe?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
For me, it's a slide stop. I train using the power stroke method. Fine vs gross motor skills under stress and all that
View Quote

Fine motor skills and the trigger and all that.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:39:37 PM EDT
[#4]
yes, it's bad to use a gun the way it was designed.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
"slide release"??????
I wonder what that stands for?
"slide release" maybe?
View Quote

Different companies use different nomenclature for that pay.
Slide stop
Slide catch
Slide release

Too many read too much into the name without understanding that is all the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:41:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Read your manual.  Glocks do not have a "slide release".  It has a slide stop.  You are then supposed to "sling shot" the slide to chamber the next round.  If you just thumb down the lock, then you may not have enough momentum to fully seat the next round and possibly fire a round out of battery.
Once you've trained doing the sling shot method it's faster than changing your grip to thumb the slide lock.

Other guns are different, but this is what is recommended for Glocks.
View Quote

False. Using the slide release is faster. If you have to change your grip to use it, there's a good chance your grip is wrong.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:05:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Mostly the fad to stop using the slide lock lever to release the slide began when some trainers came up with the idea of "motor function".  The theory goes that manipulating the slide release  with your thumb requires higher motor function than using your whole hand to pull back on the slide just enough to release it.  

I don't know if it's true or not personally, never having had to reload under fire.  I do know that whichever way you train, if you train enough, is how you'll do it when you need it.

In my last CCW class, the instructor told us emphatically to USE the release.  I meant to do what she said, but over the last 20 years I did what I trained to do and pulled on the slide without even thinking about it right in front of her frowning face.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:17:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

As the tolerance between the stop pin and the frame on a 1911 gets looser the contact area gets smaller and smaller (look up tangent).
I have seen heavily used 1911s with a decent oval for the hole.
One of the reasons they make oversize pin slide stops.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd do what the manual says.

I have seen a lot of worn out slide stops, and slide stop notches on a lot of 1911's. I slingshot all autos, because it puts less wear on the stop/notch (except Kahr, since they recommend it) and it works with whatever pistol you're using, be it 1911, Sig, Glock, etc.

I can't imagine where you are seeing those slide stops. I shoot a lot with other people who shoot a lot. Like 10s of thousands a year. I have never seen a slide stop notch worn out from dropping the slide with the slide stop. Seems really strange. What guns are you seeing these on?

Something with pretty poor metallurgy like the pot metal Walther P22 someone had an issue with would be about the only reason.

As the tolerance between the stop pin and the frame on a 1911 gets looser the contact area gets smaller and smaller (look up tangent).
I have seen heavily used 1911s with a decent oval for the hole.
One of the reasons they make oversize pin slide stops.

If true, you have identified poor metallurgy in that particular model.  If true, that issue would arise with the slide stop no matter as, well, stopping the slide even without using it to release gets it peened over time and the force of the slide stop catching is greater than the release.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My current carry guns are Glock 33, Glock 27, Kahr MK9, and sometimes a 45cal P14. I will often insert a loaded magazine into the pistol when the slide is mechanically held open, and just use the slide release to slam the top round in the magazine home into the chamber.
Is this ok?........or is it preferred to manually pull the slide back and  just let it go? In using logic, I don't see the harm in using the slide release as I can't see how it is much different then manually releasing the slide by hand......except that I think I've heard it mentioned that it's better to do it maually with some guns. (??)
View Quote

A weapons-guru that taught me always stressed you'd wear the gun out IF you released the slide without a round being in the magazine. When a round was in the magazine in other words it was ok, not when it was empty.

Mind you some gunshops don't mind you doing this so go figure...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:00:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A weapons-guru that taught me always stressed you'd wear the gun out IF you released the slide without a round being in the magazine. When a round was in the magazine in other words it was ok, not when it was empty.

Mind you some gunshops don't mind you doing this so go figure...
View Quote

Keep in mind that there are a lot of idiots working in gunshops...

Just sayin'...

Forrest

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:12:09 AM EDT
[#11]
It is how most newer guns are designed to be operated. However, repeatedly and constantly doing so on some older designs may cause parts to wear and eventually fail. The practice is often discouraged among those who know something about Makarovs.

Personally, I am a Southpaw so the factory slide release is generally of little use to me. I use the slingshot method. It is how I was taught and most importantly after hundreds of thousands of rounds it is now a natural and instinctive motion for me to perform when I change mags in any handgun.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#12]
On my 2011's the slidestops do not function.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I use the slide lock/release and slingshot depending on what I'm doing.

Causal day at the range - hit the release/lock.

practicing malfunction drills, "training", etc... I sling shot.

Slide lock/release is easier; however, the ninjas said for years that I needed to use the sling shot method.....so I worked that into my memory.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For me, it's a slide stop. I train using the power stroke method. Fine vs gross motor skills under stress and all that
View Quote

So you can pull the trigger, and release the magazine by pushing the magazine release in, but pushing down the slide stop/release is too much of a fine motor skill? What happens if you get a double feed and you have to lock the slide back?

The fine motor skills argument doesn't make sense to me.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Either way is fine.

I prefer the slingshot method, and that's how I practice reloads. I don't have big hands, and aside from Glocks. I have a hard time reaching the slide release one handed. I also practice using my belt as a stabilizing point to slingshot the slide.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:15:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Another reason I use the power stroke method is because the slides are usually in the same spot on every semi-auto, while the slide stops come in different sizes, shapes and are sometimes in different spots. For me the slide stop method would be used during one hand manipulation which is just a simple down stroke of the slide stop using your thumb if you had to in an emergency.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I use the slingshot method because it's easier for me, I'm left-handed. I know a left-handed shooter can actuate the slide stop on a Glock by reaching up with the fingers of the support hand, but it feels too weird to me. Right now my EDC is a Sig P228 and the slide stop is too far on the back of the frame to manipulate it with my left hand without nearly dropping the gun. I know for sure any handgun I shoot will work with the slingshot method and my reloading movements are the same from gun to gun. I can't say that using the slide stop on a reload. But that's just me.

I'm more than happy to "cling" to the slingshot method. I'm not switching because someone thinks it's outdated.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So you can pull the trigger, and release the magazine by pushing the magazine release in, but pushing down the slide stop/release is too much of a fine motor skill? What happens if you get a double feed and you have to lock the slide back?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never bought into that argument either.  We teach guys to notice the subtle click of the trigger reset but they can't move a thumb 1/2" to release the slide?
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I prefer to use the slingshot method myself.  I use this method because of the way I was taught, trained and the way I have been doing this action for a long time.  I personally do not see anything wrong with using the slide release/slide stop method.  

However I have witnessed during annual qualification a couple of individuals while executing a tactical reload fail to engage the stop/release on several occasions though.  I do believe that this issue could or may be alleviated with more training and repetition though.  However I will still continue to use the slingshot method myself as it has been proven to me to be an effective means to release the slide and it works for me where for others YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:41:30 PM EDT
[#20]
From my work...

We are trained to ONLY load or unlock the slide by an overhand grip, pull back (just to release the slide), and let the slide fall.

Reason being that fine motor skills go out the window during a fire fight.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:59:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I use the slide release on my Glocks.

If it wears it out I'll just buy a new gun.  No fucks given.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:58:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I have always used the slide release.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top