Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2014 5:23:16 PM EDT
Ok going to start by stating I shoot lefty and own H&K pistols and I and truly happy with them.  When I got my P30 I fell in love with the full ambi controls.  I know Walther has a few also, but why haven't other manufacturers joined in on this?  I have tried glocks, XDs, Sigs and while some feel comfortable in the hand most are right handed.  Some have reversible mag releases and or safeties but most only have slide releases on the left side of the frame.  On some pistols (like my USPc) this is not a problem as the lever is quite long and easy to operate with my left index finger.  But most sigs and all glocks the slide release is small and easy to miss.

So If anybody has information and or opinion on why this is so I would love to hear it.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly, it's mostly about when the weapons were released.  We've seen a bigger push for ambi controls recently but Glock and Sig designs have literally been around for decades and it seems that that was less of a concern back then.  M&Ps are more modern in that sense: the slide release is ambi and the mag release is reversible.  It's hard to say if they could shoehorn an ambi slide stop into a Glock or Sig without compromising performance in some way.  Personally, I'm right handed and right eye dominant, but I still like having ambi controls on my Walther PPQ and I always insist on ambi controls for my ARs.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:34:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm still curious as to why Glock hasn't reduced the fucking hump on the back of their pistols since they finally introduced interchangeable backstraps.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:51:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a couple of pistols with ambi controls and I really don't use them. I always slingshot the slide to chamber a round and I find that I can manipulate the mag release easier with the middle finger on my shooting hand than using my support thumb.

I do wish Glock would make the grips smaller on their guns, that is the only reason why I no longer own any glocks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a couple of pistols with ambi controls and I really don't use them. I always slingshot the slide to chamber a round and I find that I can manipulate the mag release easier with the middle finger on my shooting hand than using my support thumb.

I do wish Glock would make the grips smaller on their guns, that is the only reason why I no longer own any glocks.
View Quote

have you tried all of those actions with your weak arm?  Ambi controls benefit not only left handed shooters, but right handed shooters that might need to transition
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:00:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Have you tried doing a grip reduction?
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I am LH and got used to a right handed world.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 7:29:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Ambi controls are not worth the complexity or the reduced reliability.    I'll cite the reduced lifespan of the M&P slide stop, or Glock's brief flirtation with ambi mag releases as areas of reduced reliability, and FN's oversized mag release, HK and Walther's release as needlessly complex.  The FN design gets special honor of barely being able to retain a mag.

Reversible mag release is about the only thing worth changing in modern guns.  Overhand methods make ambi slide stops redundant.

Ambi safeties take up too much room, inadvertently become activated/deactivated, and the safety shouldn't be there in the first place.

Not sure why the Glock grip is a discussion point.  Is this GD?
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ambi controls are not worth the complexity or the reduced reliability.    I'll cite the reduced lifespan of the M&P slide stop, or Glock's brief flirtation with ambi mag releases as areas of reduced reliability, and FN's oversized mag release, HK and Walther's release as needlessly complex.  The FN design gets special honor of barely being able to retain a mag.

Reversible mag release is about the only thing worth changing in modern guns.  Overhand methods make ambi slide stops redundant.

Ambi safeties take up too much room, inadvertently become activated/deactivated, and the safety shouldn't be there in the first place.

View Quote

I'm not sure if the FNX is the same as the FNS but in both of my FNS pistols the magazine release is the best feature. I have not had any experience with it failing to retain a magazine, however I can see how that could be a potential issue just looking at how it locks up. It just hasn't been my experience yet with either the 40 or the 9. Additional disclaimer neither has seen nearly the round count of my Glocks or SIGs and I only maybe concealed carried it once to try it out.

I think another reason why even the reversible mag release is only a minor selling point is that left handed guys that have been shooting for a long time have just learned to use their trigger finger or middle finger on their weapon hand to activate the mag release and they don't feel like unlearning and then relearning.

I will have to admit that ambi mag release on the FNS makes things easier when doing support hand only firing, but I don't think that is enough of a reason alone to select a weapon as your go to.

I think if there is a manual safety on a handgun it should always be ambidextrous. Trying to take the safety off my CZ75b compact with left hand only is taxing and definitely not fast.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

have you tried all of those actions with your weak arm?  Ambi controls benefit not only left handed shooters, but right handed shooters that might need to transition
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Look at how many people get hit in the hands and forearms during a gunfight. Not to mention the possibility of an injury or ailment that could leave you without the use of your dominant hand for an extended period. It just makes sense even if you're right handed.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm not sure if the FNX is the same as the FNS but in both of my FNS pistols the magazine release is the best feature. I have not had any experience with it failing to retain a magazine, however I can see how that could be a potential issue just looking at how it locks up. It just hasn't been my experience yet with either the 40 or the 9. Additional disclaimer neither has seen nearly the round count of my Glocks or SIGs and I only maybe concealed carried it once to try it out.

I think another reason why even the reversible mag release is only a minor selling point is that left handed guys that have been shooting for a long time have just learned to use their trigger finger or middle finger on their weapon hand to activate the mag release and they don't feel like unlearning and then relearning.

I will have to admit that ambi mag release on the FNS makes things easier when doing support hand only firing, but I don't think that is enough of a reason alone to select a weapon as your go to.

I think if there is a manual safety on a handgun it should always be ambidextrous. Trying to take the safety off my CZ75b compact with left hand only is taxing and definitely not fast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem is not with the release, but with the mags
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:18:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unless you're trying to lock the slide open.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#12]
The CZ82/83 and their CZ85 has full ambi controls.

CD
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 12:52:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm still curious as to why Glock hasn't reduced the fucking hump on the back of their pistols since they finally introduced interchangeable backstraps.
View Quote

Not sure if you're aware of it, but the Gen 4 does have a significantly reduced "hump".

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Assume a left handed stance and grip. Now try to clear a double feed, or any malfunction where the magazine gets locked up until you lock the slide back. You can use your left index finger, but it is not as easy as the thumb, and on Sigs the slide stop is almost impossible.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:18:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not sure if you're aware of it, but the Gen 4 does have a significantly reduced "hump".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still not enough.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:30:32 PM EDT
[#16]
more parts to go wrong
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 1:09:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
more parts to go wrong
View Quote

Yeah, I'm with that.  And another thing to confuse people under stress.  Although I don't completely disagree with the fact that if you go weak hand, ambit controls would make some actions more user friendly.  So....  I kind of go both ways.  LOL.  But I just know that on my Hipower I think it's easier to accidentally flip that safety off with it being an ambi, when you are carrying.  But those newer HiPowers have kind of weak detents for that.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm with that.  And another thing to confuse people under stress.  Although I don't completely disagree with the fact that if you go weak hand, ambit controls would make some actions more user friendly.  So....  I kind of go both ways.  LOL.  But I just know that on my Hipower I think it's easier to accidentally flip that safety off with it being an ambi, when you are carrying.  But those newer HiPowers have kind of weak detents for that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
more parts to go wrong

Ambi controls aren't typically more parts. They're just another level or button attached to the other side of the same parts that are already there. If the tabs on a slide stop break, the gun will still function fine except for holding open on the last round.

I also fail to see how they are going to confuse people under stress. You can literally hit the same thing on either side of the gun. If you get confused by the right side safety, there is still one on the left side, etc.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

actually I can work the slide release better with my weak hand. I've noticed that on the guns I have with an ambi slide lock it's easier to release the slide with the LH side since that's the lever that actually engages the notch on the slide. The RH side is just and extension and it always seems spongy to me and requires more effort to release the slide with my strong hand. Mag release is easy for me to work with either hand, what digit I use to drop the mag depends on which hand the gun is in.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was told you can't reduce a Gen4 anymore than it already is, which was still to thick for me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ambi controls aren't typically more parts. They're just another level or button attached to the other side of the same parts that are already there. If the tabs on a slide stop break, the gun will still function fine except for holding open on the last round.

I also fail to see how they are going to confuse people under stress. You can literally hit the same thing on either side of the gun. If you get confused by the right side safety, there is still one on the left side, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
more parts to go wrong

Well, by virtue of the fact in a slide stop/release, there's got to be at least another lever.  And then with a slide stop, there's another button sticking out.  Although that might not be MORE parts in that case.  So I think we're both right if you want to split hairs.  My thinking isn't necessarily so much about if it could break, although that's a concern, but it's also another thing to accidentally hit when you don't want to.  I don't know for some of us dunces, the simpler the better.  But again, my main concern and experience in the negative is the HiPower ambi safety.    Although admittedly, I"m not sure if it's the outside or the inside that is getting swiped.  I think it's the outside though.  My M9 has an Ambi decocker/ safety, so I guess I can't be that against them.    But on a 1911, I'd prefer just one and the mag release you can do with one of your left fingers if you're shooting left handed.  But yeah, it might be simpler in practice to just go ahead and have another one of each on the other side.  But again, more parts by virtue of the fact that it's there.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 9:46:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ok going to start by stating I shoot lefty and own H&K pistols and I and truly happy with them.  When I got my P30 I fell in love with the full ambi controls.  I know Walther has a few also, but why haven't other manufacturers joined in on this?  I have tried glocks, XDs, Sigs and while some feel comfortable in the hand most are right handed.  Some have reversible mag releases and or safeties but most only have slide releases on the left side of the frame.  On some pistols (like my USPc) this is not a problem as the lever is quite long and easy to operate with my left index finger.  But most sigs and all glocks the slide release is small and easy to miss.

So If anybody has information and or opinion on why this is so I would love to hear it.

View Quote

I don't know about the rest of those guys but FNH makes a pretty nice ambi pistol; everything but the takedown lever.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:40:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This. Look at how many people get hit in the hands and forearms during a gunfight. Not to mention the possibility of an injury or ailment that could leave you without the use of your dominant hand for an extended period. It just makes sense even if you're right handed.
View Quote

I want you to go and try to draw your firearm from your holster with your off hand.  Every one I own holds the firearm too well to be drawn at an off angle like that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I want you to go and try to draw your firearm from your holster with your off hand.  Every one I own holds the firearm too well to be drawn at an off angle like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do that every range trip.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

if they could profile it to match something close to that on the G19 = GOLD
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I train and use pistols both hands.  I designed a course of fire on my range that requires both hands.  But...I'm lefthanded and prefer the controls that exist on righthanded pistols.  So I just use them "righthanded" when I shoot righthanded.

As for holsters, the comment is very well-taken.  Yes, we train to draw from both hands and you are correct that it is not easy sometimes.  I make most of my holsters myself and they are of leather and while they do hold the gun perfectly  they also allow draw from both...tho no holster will be as easy to draw from the offhand as from the "on".  So you are right to tell folks to train it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:24:08 AM EDT
[#27]
I prefer a pistol to not have ambi controls. I guess so it's a wee bit thinner. On every pistol I own I have no issue manipulating the "right handed" controls with my left when I practice with my weak hand. Maybe it's because I've always practiced that way, or maybe my brain is wired so that when the pistol is in my left/wrong hand, it only makes sense to do it differently.

If I were a lefty, I might feel differently. Or I might shoot something without a safety like a Glock and just slingshot the slide, or the HK USP series where the decocker/safety can be switched to "lefty" mode.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Reversible mag release is about the only thing worth changing in modern guns. Overhand methods make ambi slide stops redundant.

View Quote

If you're willing to be slower for no reason, this is true.

I also don't see anything "needlessly complex" about a paddle style mag release. I wish more pistols used them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:58:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I also don't see anything "needlessly complex" about a paddle style mag release. I wish more pistols used them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reversible mag release is about the only thing worth changing in modern guns. Overhand methods make ambi slide stops redundant.

Its Dan's doppelganger. He truly thinks and believes that he has to prove or educate someone else, even if its just his own opinion which he confuses as a bonafide fact..

Being "social media/internet/forum" famous for going at lengths to try and prove someone wrong, or being an asshat dickbag is important to him and others here.

He has this overwhelming need to be worried about what other people are buying in the pistol world even though it has zero effect on him.

The constant push to prove one's things are better than another is how he measure's his importance and self worth.

His opinions are of his and not even close to the truth, so I couldn't care two shits for what a fanboi hates or likes. I'll continue to buy what he froths about and continue to support what he goes insane about and if he strokes out about it, at least his soul will finally be at peace.

I am happy with what I have, and glad to have it. Someone wants to argue otherwise or tell me my stuff isn't worth having they can go kick rocks. It is a shame the majority of people can't accept such things.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:20:32 AM EDT
[#30]
what controls need to be ambi

slide release - I can't think of one right now

mag release- Beretta,H&K Walther- may also want to look at euro style mag release at the bottom of the grip.

safety- many many options here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top