Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2014 10:22:56 AM EDT
PART V

The saga continues!

The ammunition arrived.  Combined with another brick of American Eagle 230 FMJ, and a couple of boxes of Golden Saber 185 grain HPs (GSHP), today was going to be busy!

Also dug up and old, tired, but factory original Colt magazine (cent of pic).

The range day protocols:
All firing was done at the 25 yard line from a seated position, arms rested outstretched on the table, utilizing a pistol box for a solid support (except for the combat shooting), and the target's blue circle is 3 inches in diameter.  My strings of fire were shot briskly-no squeezing or breathing techniques-I just lined up the sights (and remember these are not the best sights), and squeezed off the round.  Point being, if I had slowed down I could have extracted a bit more accuracy.  Again, I think with new sights and taking some real time-or from a rest, the gun is capable of shrinking its groups by another 15-20% (best guess).

And so, we begin; I wanted to start off with the one older than dirt Colt factory 7 round magazine, the ATI factory magazine, and another one of the same make from yet another 1911 from the Philippines (Rock Island Armory; and yes, that magazine caused problems too-gun long since sold).  Both are from the exact same company, with the exact same problems-also both very lightly used.
So the first magazine was the Colt, and I noticed the spring was pretty weak when loading it-no high hopes here-and yet still loaded 7+1 in the chamber; let’s see if the prancing pony can prance 8 times in a row with the GSHPs… and whoa!!

The gun went bang, 7+1 times.  Cool!  Off to a hot start!

Next out of the gate, I wanted to test the two "problem children" mags that are all seemingly sold with all factory Philippine 1911 manufactures.  

With 8 rounds of GSHP (which had caused some trouble prior in these magazines), my thoughts  & feelings would be if they ran after my previous ministrations to the “Philimander,” i.e., through the simple handiwork of sandpaper, it would be proof positive that a definitive improvement could be made at just the cost of materials found at Lowes or Home Depot.

Obviously, I had high hopes, and as I am usually always right, and truly, rarely wrong; in fact, 99 times out of 100, I’m right, and that other 1 time-the guy is lying
I knew great things were ahead of me as I sent the magazine homeward bound.  

So I proceed to release the slide stop and let it sing home, ramming the 185 grain steamroller into the chamber.  ”CLINK!” as the slide rode!!  Rode?  Road?  WAT?  
The slide stopped solidly

IT WENT nowhere!  Failure to feed!

That was a “CLUNK” not a “CLINK” that reached my heavily muffled ears.

DANG IT.

Well, maybe the other Rock Island factory magazine will work?

“CLUNK”

DOUBLE DOG DANG IT x 87%!!!  

Removing the 8th round, and letting the slide go forward on from slide stop on just 7 rounds, resulted in it feeding with both magazines of GSHPs without a hitch, all cycling flawlessly as long as there was only 7 rounds in the 8 round factory magazine.   Now, this is an improvement over the clunky feeding the GSHPs caused in the magazine from the last test.  If you recall the Federal 230 grain HSTs jammed more frequently with the factory mag, but the GSHPs had less problems-but still had issues.
(Total Golden Saber rounds fired: 25)

I followed up with another 25 rounds of American Eagle 230 FMJ as well, using the same magazines (I was shooting a low POA here).

I did not want to test these magazines anymore.  I have to stand on my original statement if you run them fully loaded, you could be at risk for a jam.  If you run HPs, this makes the risk even more prevelant.  I think they have a flaw in them, and when you push them at 100%, you use them at your own peril.  At like 80% of capacity they work 100% with FMJs.  Again this is again has been my experience, with two separate guns, and two separate magazines.  

Further, I really don’t want to spend a tremendous amount of money shooting high end HPs at paper, so next I ran an additional 40 rounds of 230 grain FMJ through 5 Wilson magazines, flawlessly.

Cheap B$trd Pro Tip:

Load one magazine with 8 rounds of FMJ, chambering it from slide stop; engage safety,  Drop the magazine, and top off the magazine with 1 GSHP (or HP of your choosing).  
Fire one round of 230 FMJ, and see if gun cycles cleanly from capacity, or jams with top round of GSHP (which I believe is the biggest link for a jam-the combined magazine pressure of being fully loaded, etc).  If the gun doesn’t jam (and it never did with the 47Ds), eject the GS HP from the chamber, and load the next FMJ from the magazine.

Place the once chambered GSHP to the side, using a fresh one for each mag to avoid dreaded setback.  Run the mag, repeat.  Now you could shoot the GSHP to make it easier, but I was concerned with overall groupings from the gun with each ammo, and did not want to mix them up when punching paper.

The Philimander was fed 5 more fully loaded 47D magazines, and 40 more rounds of 230 FMJ, and of course, never missing a beat.  Further it chambered the 5 GSHPs as well, with not a hint of drama.

Again, rested, but shot quite quickly (higher POA):

From here, I went to the silhouette, running 2 more magazines of 7+1 (16) more FMJ via the old Colt mag, working on 7 yard double taps (really fast); again no problems (albeit FMJ).

This last part will be to “stress” the Philimander’s ability to feed now.  

It will be dirty, and probably a bit dry, and now required it to fire hollow points:

A big difference from before, eh?

I ran 4 more 47D magazines-35 more rounds, in 8+1 round configurations (except the last mag) for speedy double taps at approximately 10-11 feet, “moving.”  
Meaning going from a high search extended grip, raising it to the target and as soon as acquiring sight picture, squeezing twice, then lowering back to a high search, and then raising again-always moving.  Continued till slide lock.

With the exception of the 2 "earrings" on the right, I am pretty happy with this group out of a .45 with full pot loads (making 400lbs +/- of energy), and firing the gun as quickly as I could.  The recoil impulse was soft, and the gun naturally came back to target.  Stepping solidly onto the soapbox (creak), single action semi-automatic triggers are a tremendous boon to speed and accuracy-critical aspects in defensive handguns; it does come with a cost IMHO.  Any firearm with a manual safety, requires more training (just as a gun with a de-cocker), and even with a ton of training, under maximum stress it can be forgotten, missed, or fumbled with loss of gross motor skills.  

As an aside, I think without a doubt the 1911’s manual safety is the finest of any on the pistol planet.  As you go to grip the gun during draw, your right thumb naturally releases it (just make sure the safety clicks off and finger graces the trigger when on target-you not being the target).  

It is simply “the best,” and quite frankly, does not need to be the size of a Peterbuilt’s gas pedal, nor be ambidextrous (I won’t go into my opinion here now-just suffice it to say I don’t like them, have had them fail, etc.) unless you are a lefty, or dual wield 1911 pistol’s for a living.

The Philimander’s safety is the perfect size for me (though I wish the rearward portion was less proud and made a bit smoother).  

Also, since I am in soapbox mode, I was using the silhouette head because I wanted a smaller aiming point to concentrate on, hit, and gauge my success/failure rate.  To try and make double taps like this in real life on that target area runs the real life chance of missing-and probably a lot more missing than hitting on a target intent on harming you.  As you train and are trained, please go for center of mass to stop the threat, as YOU are responsible for lost rounds, and all liability that carries with a self defense shooting.

So, remember my 2 "earrings,” and do not think you will "rise to the occasion" during a deadly force encounter.  If you believe that, it is akin to relying on luck to save your life and loved ones.  And luck is great, as long as it is on your side, and not theirs.  Use skill, mindset, practice, and training to foster that-and with that, comes familiarity, ownership of action, and responsibility (stepping off soapbox).

So, this will be an additional 140+ rounds though the gun for this range session, with no cleaning or oiling in between.  This and brings the total round count to: 370 (+/-).

With this test, I feel I have proven this gun to be 100% reliable within the limited confines of this test (47D mag, GSHP).

If you want to spring the $$$ for me to run a 1,000 round torture test, I will gladly shoot it in the interest of “science”

Final commentary/notes:

I handled a full size 1911 (5 inch barrel) the other day.  

And while I would still recommend the full size over the Commander (4 ¼ inch barrel) to help some of the issues previously mentioned, I just do not enjoy the feel of it anymore when compared.  

It feels extremely “nose heavy” which adds to the gun feeling like it weighs more than it actually does (obviously, a full size will weigh more than a Commander) and obviously, the velocity increases (if that is important to you).  The muzzle weight can aid in follow up shots (or cause the gun to "flop" more depending on your grip style).  These are marginal based upon my particular shooting style.  
And in case you were wondering, the weight difference in the slide is real; a stock full size 1911 spring is rated at 16 lbs., and the Commander is rated at 18 pounds, heavier I am guessing to increase unlocking and slow down the lighter slide during it's impulse, and to aid reliability due to the shorter stroke.

The Commander series 1911 just feels so much more balanced to me, and “point-able.”  And of course, just a bit more comfortable to conceal, and looks more attractive to me than the full size.
Looking around at 1911’s is like looking at German automobiles a lot these days.  Even the mid-range ones are expensive. The high-end ones will make your nose bleed.  

Something to note with the “Philimander,” and just a reminder from my past reviews:

The rear sight required significant movement to get POA (point of aim) to match POI (point of impact).
Sights not moved yet:

The 47Ds require a solid “thwack” to seat when fully loaded on a closed slide.  I ran these magazines through a friend’s Colts, and they had similar issues there as well.
Please note this is due to the tight tolerances of this Wilson magazine, not a problem with the gun.  The Wilsons are very precisely built, so slightly different tolerances between gun and magazine can be expected; this also may reduce with time, and usage (remember these mags of mine are brand new).  The fact is, in my limited findings, the 47Ds are the most important improvement you can make to a box-factory 1911 gun.  You can get dang near guaranteed 8+1 rounds of HPs out of them-just by them alone (YMMV).  

The finish is rough looking, but not strong.  
While showing it (empty of course) to a colleague, he ended up trying to take it apart, and before someone could yell “Get the hell out of there Tony!” (one person actually ran from the room while he was fiddling with it), it was all I could do to don my sexy sunglasses as suddenly parts exploded all about the room-the slide hitting the carpeted floor “vigorously.”

I’ve learned two things:

1. Never hand anybody anything-ever.  If you never ever do that, they will just never ever drop, break, or dismantle anything they should not be.  If you have to hand anybody anything ever, hand them and ice cream cone or gummy bears.  

2. See 1. Damage mitigated.

Let’s still remember this is in fact a rough duty gun that you should not be afraid to wear and get it scratched.  Carrying this gun, using a holster and drawing, will wear the finish quickly-which will have no effect on its ability to function.  It is designed and sold at a price point built for the dirty end of the pool.  

The ladies will not swoon, the bling guys will not blink, and no one will make an internet meme about it.
It is meat and potatoes, unleaded gasoline, salt & pepper seasoning, you know?  The “No 2” pencil of the writing community...I think you catch my drift

And the best parts?  Is it works at a great price point (but for how long?  RIAs have already climbed price-wise), and as it works, it only gets better-and of course is upgradable.  
And with some really easy handiwork, you will have a reliable weapon that meets YOUR criteria of a 1911, and .45 ACP.

So, riddle me this:

Is it better to eat Ramen noodles for a year to save and spend $1,000+/- dollars on a pretty 1911 for defense that you only put 50 rounds a year down (maybe) and rub with a diaper nightly, ruing the first scratch or blemish, or save to spend $300 dollars on a 1911 with $700 left over for a decent holster, a couple of Wilson 47Ds, and enough ammo (at least 200-300 FMJs + 50-100 of your defensive HPs) to break it in and train with, making sure it works and you work with it?  

I hope you all enjoyed (or at least tolerated) this in depth review, and possibly learned from it (as I did, and all during it).
Stay safe
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Awesome series! Thanks for posting it!
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#2]
great write up and glad you got it running that smooth

Now I"ve got to resist the temptation of getting back into 1911's.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for posting the series.
It has solidified my desire to pick one of these up while they are still "cheap".  Word is spreading fast, and prices are rising accordingly.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:47:15 AM EDT
[#4]
It is all I can do to not buy another

If they actually bring back that $30 rebate, I think I am done, and will have to get another.  They probably won't, so I am safe
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is all I can do to not buy another

If they actually bring back that $30 rebate, I think I am done, and will have to get another.  They probably won't, so I am safe
View Quote
To get a cheaper .45 ACP auto, you'd have to step down to a Hi-Point.
It is an incredible deal.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I got this one for $289, and truth be told I would get another for $270-280.

They are on sale now for $300 at PSA, and IMHO quite the steal...
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I got this one for $289, and truth be told I would get another for $270-280.

They are on sale now for $300 at PSA, and IMHO quite the steal...
View Quote

Their threaded barrel, Novak sight, railed, commander size was on sale for $400 this last week too
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:  They are on sale now for $300 at PSA, and IMHO quite the steal...
View Quote

That's what I did.  My first 1911. I really like your threads on this firearm.  Picked mine up about 3 weeks ago.  Put 140 rounds through it last week and had the same issue with the thumb safety.  You can see some pics  here.

Still trying to figure out how I'm going to finish it up.  Feels good though.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:00:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I grabbed one of these in store even a little.....ahem....cheaper.
I'm not a 1911 guy either, but wanted one for the same reason.
It seems un-American to not have one. Like apple pie and Harley Davidsons .
So, I got one, with kind of the same intentions as you. A bit of a challenge. I mean, these things just can't run, right? ! I got it home and had (again) the same experience. Trigger felt pretty darn good! I shot it the next day and had similar feeding issues. Polished the feed ramps and barrel. Same issues. Finally dropped some money on a mag they had in stock, and zero issues.
I ordered some ODG hogue rubber grips, which greatly improved the feel and looks. The stock grips were unceremoniously tossed into the garbage, where they belonged. All-in-all, it's a great buy, for the money. Is it the first gun I'm going to grab to defend myself???? God, no.
But now I can say I have a 1911, eat apple pie, and have a Harley. :)

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:33:37 AM EDT
[#10]
That's a fine looking weapon

Here made it hot for you:

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:30:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks!
Mine is the shorter version.
3.5" or 3.25"....?
There's a longish post on a 1911 forum about the ATI's.
There's some recommended replacement parts for the recoil spring.
I haven't shot a lot of 1911's, but a handful, and this gun handles recoil worse than any others. I know.....shorter, lighter, etc.
But by most accounts the spring is too light.
I had an XDS that had less snap.

Regardless, this is a fun gun to tune, and shoot, and I'm glad to have it!
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:16:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got the same gun and it shoots really well.  My only complaint are that the magazines were junk.  Runs excellent with Chip McCormick mags.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I officially need to get one of these.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:32:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top