Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2014 10:38:41 PM EDT
When you insert a magazine into a Glock, how do you do it?

A)  Do you put the mag into the magwell and then slam it home in one strong push?

or

B)  Do you place the mag into the magwell, push the mag up until you feel resistance, then push it hard until you feel it click?

I do it the second way.  I guess I do it because I know that th emag is locked in properly.  In the past while "slamming it home" I have pushed hard enough and it didn't click, so the mag fell out.  I don't know, maybe I just don't like slamming a possibly loaded firearm like that.

As you can clearly see, I've never had any training and am not tactical at all
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:54:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends. Combat reload I generally go A. If you hit it right, the slide will go forward too. Tactical or Admin reload I go B then press check it
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:10:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends. Combat reload I generally go A. If you hit it right, the slide will go forward too. Tactical or Admin reload I go B then press check it
View Quote

Same here - In competitions, I slam it in, but when I'm just shooting at the range, I'm more careful with it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:56:11 AM EDT
[#3]
For the most part, and a high percentage of the time,  done at the range ....  I'm one of those on the B. list.  

Don't usually have to force anything.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:59:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies.  I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one doing the "B" method.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:40:27 AM EDT
[#5]
No wrong way as long as it is secure.

The nice thing is that most Glocks do not "auto forward", meaning that they will jump off the slide stop and load the round from the force of mag insertion.  This is bad because sometimes there isn't enough velocity and a FTL can occur.

M&P's are notoriously jumpy on reloads.  FNX as well.  Some HK's too.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:40:30 AM EDT
[#6]

I always use method "B" as you described, BUT...It depends upon whether or not the slide is forward.

When loading a full mag into any semi-auto weapon with the slide forward (in battery), you will generally need to slam it home because the first round will make hard contact with the bottom of the slide and stop the magazine from seating if it is not seated very firmly.  So, you will need to use enough force to overcome the resistance in the magazine spring.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:26:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The nice thing is that most Glocks do not "auto forward", meaning that they will jump off the slide stop and load the round from the force of mag insertion.  This is bad because sometimes there isn't enough velocity and a FTL can occur.

View Quote

My SIG started doing it around 2200 rds.  I love it because it cuts time.  Never had a malfunction because of it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:46:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't compete, so "B"
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:57:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Never had the problem with any of my Glocks. Even if I chamber a round and pull the slide back just 1/2" or so it will return to battery 100%. Doesn't take much for Glocks to chamber a round and go into battery. Even sissy riding the slide forward gives no issues.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:12:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I took a class years ago where we were taught the push/pull/push method for mag changes.

1) I push (not slam) the mag all the way into the well until it stops if the slide is open or the top round compresses against the bottom of the slide if closed.

2) I pull on the base plate (as my hand pulls away from inserting the magazine) to make sure the mag is fully seated.

3) I push the bottom of the mag again just to make sure.

With practice, this all happens in an instant and has become second nature to me.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a buddy who does B because he feel sits abusive to the gun.  

My current collection of handguns are all protection/defense combat style guns.  

I slam those fuckers home.  If that breaks the gun I am not sure I want to depend on it for my personal protection.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:35:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Slide locked to the rear = method A.  If you've run it empty, you probably need to get it back in the fight RFN.
Slide forward (tactical reload, reinserting a magazine after topping it off, etc.) = method B.  Since it's harder to seat a full mag with the slide forward, I will push it in until I feel a positive "click".  Still done quickly, but a little slower to be absolutely sure the magazine is in place before turning 100% of my focus elsewhere.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I slam those fuckers home.  If that breaks the gun I am not sure I want to depend on it for my personal protection.
View Quote

No worries about damaging the gun, but in some cases it can damage the magazine.
This is an issue with ARs.  For example, with an AR 30 round mag. (I'm talkin' the stock, mil. spec item), thirty cartridges are a tight fit in the mag.  Sooooo, what happens is that when you slam a full mag into a rifle w/bolt forward, you can actually bend the floor plate at the bottom of the mag.  This is why some guys only load 29 rounds in the 30 rounders and 19 in the 20 rounders.  I do this btw.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I've always been taught that A is correct. Maybe not a "slam", but definitely a forceful insertion in one continuous motion. (That's what she said.)
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No worries about damaging the gun, but in some cases it can damage the magazine.
This is an issue with ARs.  For example, with an AR 30 round mag. (I'm talkin' the stock, mil. spec item), thirty cartridges are a tight fit in the mag.  Sooooo, what happens is that when you slam a full mag into a rifle w/bolt forward, you can actually bend the floor plate at the bottom of the mag.  This is why some guys only load 29 rounds in the 30 rounders and 19 in the 20 rounders.  I do this btw.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I slam everything  I do it with GI ar mags and have never seen or heard of bending a floor plate.  I'll have to inspect some of my heavily used ones, but I feel like I would have noticed it.

Also all of my glocks auto forward if I slam mags in.  I'm not sure if that's because they're all pretty well broken in, but I kind of like it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a few different handguns so I make it point to slam the mag home on every one of them. That's how I was taught and I haven't experienced any issues as a result of this method.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#17]
snip...

...snip
View Quote

Not entirely true... I slam mine in rather aggressively when in a match or practicing. This has led to a bent extractor in one 1911 because the mag lips hit the bottom of the extractor.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The issue I've always heard of is cracking feed lips on GI mags, not bending the floor plate.  I hardly ever use GI mags, and I've never had a problem with a P Mag loaded to full capacity.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#19]
A lot of good info, thanks guys.

FWIW, I'm not worried about damaging anything.  It's just that (when the slide is forward) I feel like slamming it home has the potential for the round to bounce it off the bottom of the slide.  When I push it manually, I can feel that positive click and know it's fully engaged.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I just push it home hard. Single motion

Never had an issue with getting pistol mags in and staying.

Now ar mags I did until I downloaded by 2 rounds
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#21]
A, I compete fun range time outside of a match is a perfect time to practice for a match.  In my opinion its not a bad "habit" to have.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:40:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I prefer to lube it before I insert it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've always been taught that A is correct. Maybe not a "slam", but definitely a forceful insertion in one continuous motion. (That's what she said.)
View Quote

X2
My index finger indexes the mag & it's one motion reload on an empty chamber.
If I need to top off I still aggressively insert mag.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:32:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
Same here.  A fully loaded Glock mag (and many others) needs some extra effort when the slide is closed.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Feed it in by hand, then slam home with heel of left hand.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Do whatever makes you sleep easier at night.

All that matters is using enough force to seat the mag.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Slam it with a pull check
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Not entirely true... I slam mine in rather aggressively when in a match or practicing. This has led to a bent extractor in one 1911 because the mag lips hit the bottom of the extractor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
snip...

...snip

That's another benefit to doublestack mags, especially those like Glock with a stop built into the mag to prevent over insertion.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That's another benefit to doublestack mags, especially those like Glock with a stop built into the mag to prevent over insertion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip...

...snip

Can damage the ejector (not extractor) in a 1911 - but only extended types like for 9mm/38 Super.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Type A.

I know it's seated.

The slide goes forward.

Faster reloads may save your life one day.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#31]
"A". It's not a toy
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:16:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I've never even put that much thought into it before but A.

When I reload I try to be smooth, efficient, and fast. Once you get fast your sticking the mag in here pretty hard/fast.

This is a pretty good vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfIaMB1TvLI

this one good too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d2VdaiIodo
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top